Author Topic: Virgin Media  (Read 125845 times)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Virgin Media
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2012, 10:42:43 am »
Also I signed up for 6 months half price for TV and Broadband, added the sports and what not and expected that to be half price too for the 6 months, in short I expected my whole package to be half price for 6 months, it isn't. Plus just got a letter off sky saying they will give me everything half price for a whole year if I come back!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2012, 05:33:33 pm »
i have a tivo in the lounge and an old fashioned V box in my study and Catch up works better in my study than the Tivo in the lounge, but as for the broadband got an email about the increased speed and it has increased maybe i am in a good area for it?
Dont like Sky so use Virgin which has most of their programmes except Atlantic and I use another site for Sky football
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2012, 10:00:10 pm »
A lot of people raved about that tivo box, I'm a bit dissapointed to be truthful, its slow a fuck and navigating shit takes ages. Coming from the sky box like, I'm on the top  package for TV, but I'm cancelling when my subscription ends as it just isn't worth it. Broadband is fine. Except the hub when used wirelessly.

Well that's my plan of giving up sky and going back to virgin for tv cancelled then. I thought they might have sorted the slow navigation issues out with the new tivo boxes, but sounds like that's not the case.
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 02:28:23 am »
Just cancelled it and reordered sky.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 07:46:01 am »
I'll be cancelling once my subscription is up. Absolute dogshit company. At least once a month we have an engineer out for something or other.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2012, 05:51:42 pm »
Anyone know why ive got a number in the bottom left of my screen

1136153505, its been there for the last 10 minutes

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2012, 06:54:09 pm »
Anyone know why ive got a number in the bottom left of my screen

1136153505, its been there for the last 10 minutes

That's what number you'll be joining in the queue if you try to phone them for support.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2012, 07:49:57 pm »
Watching the footy? I get a number periodically on the top right on Sky when watching football. It's unique to you as Sky try to clamp down on matches being streamed over the Internet.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2012, 08:41:06 pm »
Had problems using youtube last couple weeks during peak times. Find out I'm not the only one as there's a 50 page thread of people complaining about the issue. Takes me around 10 minutes to buffer 2 minutes of 720p footage after about 5pm. First world problems may be but I feckin pay for this crap service

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-60Mb-Speed/Video-Services-Buffering-Constantly/td-p/1481680/highlight/false/page/52

Also started to notice it when it comes to loading gif's. Takes ages during peak times.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:42:37 pm by medley »
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2012, 08:43:15 pm »
The wankers block RTE when they are showing  any football. Anyone know why?

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2012, 08:54:27 pm »
completely fed up of Virgin Media, been a loyal customer for over 8 years but they have turned to complete shit recently. They also decided to implement usage caps back in April without notifying customers, so now I am paying for a 60meg service and regularly get less than 4meg because I like to stream HD video online and they throttle it back after watching one video. And as for their customer service, well, I don't even want to go there. In the good old Telewest days they were fucking amazing, but they can suck my balls these days, they have gone to utter shit. I cannot wait to get rid of their services, over a hundred quid a month and it is complete fucking bollocks.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2012, 09:32:27 pm »
Watching the footy? I get a number periodically on the top right on Sky when watching football. It's unique to you as Sky try to clamp down on matches being streamed over the Internet.

thats the one! nice one

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2012, 10:49:09 am »
Just had an engineer out to ours, he's stumped as to what is causing our low speed (I say low, I got 94mb/s earlier, but now back down to between 40mb/s and 60mb/s when it should be 100.

He's changed all the connectors in and out of the house and at the exchange box, said everything is as it should be, but just not getting the speed for some reason, so he's having to get his manager out.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2012, 12:55:14 pm »
Just had an engineer out to ours, he's stumped as to what is causing our low speed (I say low, I got 94mb/s earlier, but now back down to between 40mb/s and 60mb/s when it should be 100.

He's changed all the connectors in and out of the house and at the exchange box, said everything is as it should be, but just not getting the speed for some reason, so he's having to get his manager out.

Ive got the 100mb package but I don't think I will ever get that much

Surprised they are sending a manager for it

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2012, 01:06:53 pm »
Ive got the 100mb package but I don't think I will ever get that much

Surprised they are sending a manager for it

I'm not convinced I'll get that much either, though it did peak at 107mb/s on once occasion (for about a second). I wouldn't mind if I was getting over 80mb/s consistently, but under 40mb/s is actually more consistent at the moment, and is less than it was before the upgrade when I hardly ever dropped below 50mb/s. That's the only reason I phoned to query it.

The other thing is I expected the upload speed to double as well, but its exactly as it was before (though I believe that usually increases later).

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2012, 01:23:20 pm »
Id be made up with 50

The engineer told me it would fluctuate for about 48 hours so I ll check it later

Offline cim-pim-param

• cim-pim-param, chim-chim-chiroo
  • Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2012, 01:25:25 pm »
My connection yesterday:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/78350af279fa9547e825870a4bb8d1a1-11-11-2012.html

Been going like this for about 3 months now :P
To Be Or NoT To Be?! ravelizard
 http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2012, 01:50:38 pm »
Just had a call from Virgin Media - apparently its a fault in the area that the engineer is looking into and should be back to normal in a couple of days. Nothing on their service status page though.

It could just be that they haven't completely finished upgrading the area yet, it does say by end November on their postcode checker.

Offline cim-pim-param

• cim-pim-param, chim-chim-chiroo
  • Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2012, 12:44:53 am »
Just had a call from Virgin Media - apparently its a fault in the area that the engineer is looking into and should be back to normal in a couple of days. Nothing on their service status page though.

It could just be that they haven't completely finished upgrading the area yet, it does say by end November on their postcode checker.
It's always a fault. You are being too kind!
To Be Or NoT To Be?! ravelizard
 http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/

Offline optared

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2012, 01:51:20 am »
A lot of people raved about that tivo box, I'm a bit dissapointed to be truthful, its slow a fuck and navigating shit takes ages. Coming from the sky box like, I'm on the top  package for TV, but I'm cancelling when my subscription ends as it just isn't worth it. Broadband is fine. Except the hub when used wirelessly.

you forgot to mention, it takes 7 minutes to warm up when you turn it on in the morning.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2012, 10:40:25 am »
you forgot to mention, it takes 7 minutes to warm up when you turn it on in the morning.

If you leave it on standby its ok for me, if I turn it off totally or it reboots at random then I always think its about to die it takes so long booting up

Offline Liveforthereds67

• Kopite
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2012, 10:54:48 am »
The wankers block RTE when they are showing  any football. Anyone know why?

They have too as they don't have permision to show games in the UK, only in the country they broadcast too can the games be shown,
YNWA
Twitter @asp67
XBMC TV http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/forum.php

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2012, 11:43:13 am »
i pay 80ish at the minute with virgin. sky rang had a word over what they can offer, turns out the same package is 60. rang virgin back expecting them to offer 50 to keep my custom said the best we can do is 89. yeah raise a customers fee when hes threatening to go. so sky here i come. you get all that skygo and all that so thats good. been with virgin/telewest like 20 years aswell
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2012, 01:37:55 pm »
The only problem i have with mine at the moment it the fact I would have to pay an extra 7 quid to get Sky Sports HD

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2012, 07:23:13 pm »
The only problem i have with mine at the moment it the fact I would have to pay an extra 7 quid to get Sky Sports HD

But isn't the HD pack an extra tenner on Sky?

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2012, 10:32:18 pm »
But isn't the HD pack an extra tenner on Sky?

Ive got the HD on everything else but not on the sports, you have to pay £7 a month for the sports because its an add on

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2012, 11:16:39 pm »
Ive got the HD on everything else but not on the sports, you have to pay £7 a month for the sports because its an add on

Yeah, but if you had Sky then you'd need to pay £10 a month for most of the non-premium HD channels. They come as standard on Virgin, so £7 for just Sky Sports 1 and 2 in HD seems quite steep. But if you had Sky Sports on Sky and wanted the channels in HD, you would have to pay £10 a month.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2012, 11:24:33 pm »
I'm starting to regret getting virgin and only had it a week
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2012, 06:46:30 am »
I'm starting to regret getting virgin and only had it a week

Stuck in a 18 month contract now mate.

It has some nice features, on demand and the music and such but I still don't know if its justifiable with how much it costs. The box reminds me of an internet service, its like everything loads, navigating and such. The remote is ehhh, you don't even get the food fucking network on xl and its free on freeview!!!

I so wanted to enjoy a better experience than with sky but I guess the grass just isn't greener.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2012, 04:19:12 pm »
Yeah, but if you had Sky then you'd need to pay £10 a month for most of the non-premium HD channels. They come as standard on Virgin, so £7 for just Sky Sports 1 and 2 in HD seems quite steep. But if you had Sky Sports on Sky and wanted the channels in HD, you would have to pay £10 a month.

true I suppose

I am quite happy with it all in all, its still  26 quid cheaper than sky would have been and im getting around 50meg broadband, bit disappointed that there is no babestation

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2012, 06:19:23 pm »
true I suppose

I am quite happy with it all in all, its still  26 quid cheaper than sky would have been and im getting around 50meg broadband, bit disappointed that there is no babestation

I noticed the lack of babe station too
I'm getting nowhere near the 60mb broadband that I'm on. done a couple of speed tests yesterday and it didn't top 2mb. I don't even know if I'm on fibre optic. how do you find that out? I'm happy with the tv package and what I'm paying.6 months half price with 2 hd boxes. still cheaper than sky when it goes up to full price.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2012, 07:16:58 pm »
I noticed the lack of babe station too
I'm getting nowhere near the 60mb broadband that I'm on. done a couple of speed tests yesterday and it didn't top 2mb. I don't even know if I'm on fibre optic. how do you find that out? I'm happy with the tv package and what I'm paying.6 months half price with 2 hd boxes. still cheaper than sky when it goes up to full price.
I was getting about 3 meg on my laptop,  there is something n the speedtest website,  cant remember what it was called now butit fixes any connection problems,  you have a free trial for a day I think,  thats enough to fix the issues then uninstall it,  after i did it my connection shot up to 40!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2012, 12:29:20 am »
Bound to be able to cancel my contact if they aren't capable of providing a service I'm paying for. I've been waiting 11 minutes on the virgin homepage to load. The wee wireless signal job on my laptop shows 4 bars out of 5. This is just not acceptable

Offline hitman89762000

• Young Glasshoppel, apprentice to the arlarses. Exponent of The Sandon's original "Hippy Mod In A Headlock" manoeuvre.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never wanting to be a transfer forum mod.
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2012, 12:45:15 am »
Im moving in a few weeks ive decided to go for sky had virgin for years but want sky atlantic and hd etc anyway the on demand stuff does it have subtitles on it or can i not use them with that?
@Robbie9Fowler robbie fowler
@ @hitman8976rawk big spunky seaman was fookin massive... I saw the devil in his eyes and shit my undercrackers

PLEASE Sign Kevin Williams 15yeatr life ended at Hillsborough. His inquest is urgent for his terminally ill mum. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40925

a tweet fro

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2012, 08:48:20 am »
Pretty sure u can get subtitles with on demand

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2012, 11:39:22 pm »
Bound to be able to cancel my contact if they aren't capable of providing a service I'm paying for. I've been waiting 11 minutes on the virgin homepage to load. The wee wireless signal job on my laptop shows 4 bars out of 5. This is just not acceptable

you can cancel within 28 days

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2012, 11:43:58 am »
I just got a letter from them saying my package goes up by just over £4 a month.

To add some context, I renewed my package with them in December last year - in January they put it up by £3.  So, add on this new rise and my package is all of a sudden £7 more than the one I signed up to!

If I remember rightly, there's a clause that allows you to cancel, regardless of contract, if they put the price up.  If this is a general rise for everyone, then I'd suggest you look into using this clause.....I will be!

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Virgin Media
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2012, 11:48:20 am »
I got the letter too mate.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2012, 11:51:02 am »
I got the letter too mate.

Going to see it as an opportunity and see what I can get out of them or sky.....ever the optimist!

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Virgin Media
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2012, 11:58:51 am »
I only signed up in August aswell. When my contract is up I'm going back to sky and getting bt infinity