Author Topic: Ubuntu  (Read 15590 times)

Offline DowntheLine1981

• Ignorant of the Dhamma
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici
    • Work's MySpace page....
Ubuntu
« on: November 25, 2009, 07:24:51 pm »
Just made the switch to Ubuntu on my laptop (which I use for basic admin).  I have to say I'm really impressed, and love the fact that I'm not paying a penny to Mr Gates - champion!  :D

Fast Internet and smooth operation!

...anyone else thinking of making the switch to OpenSource and Ubuntu?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
~Aristotle

"The trouble with having an open mind is that people will come along and try to put things in it."
~Terry Pratchett

“If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:27:02 pm »
IRRRAAANUUUUU!!!

UUUVVAAAVVVVUUUU!!! Mwahahahahaha

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:28:54 pm »
tried it, got bored of figuring out how to use it properly, went back to windows
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 07:33:42 pm »
Sounds like someone Chelsea would buy.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 03:27:38 pm »
its a fantastic OS.. It really is..

its smooth, virus free, and the list of programs available (you only need to tick a box, not hunt for them online)

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 04:42:32 pm »
Real Men run Debian. Or LFS.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 04:46:24 pm »
Real Men run Debian. Or LFS.

Real Men run Slackware.

Ubuntu is a nice user friendly Linux install with a critical mass of user support. I currently use it for several servers - I am tied to Windows as I use some software that Wine doesn't play nicely with.

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 07:13:42 pm »
Where can I download this? Is it free? How would I go about installing it? Been trying to install Windows 7 on my older laptop it's not having it, plus I can;t find a decent working XP (not bloody paying for it!) I only need the Laptop for internet really.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 07:22:10 pm »
Where can I download this? Is it free? How would I go about installing it? Been trying to install Windows 7 on my older laptop it's not having it, plus I can;t find a decent working XP (not bloody paying for it!) I only need the Laptop for internet really.

try here
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 07:23:22 pm »
try here

Last time I searched for linux I couldn't actually find a download link but will try again then!

EDIT

Found it, obviously didn't look very hard last time!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 07:25:18 pm by NCrawley »

Offline PaulV

• RAWK Pope
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 07:31:50 pm »
http://www.ubuntu.com/

Don't even need to install it. Burn it onto a DVD and boot your laptop off the disk.
To many people have discovered "Football Manager" and now they all think they are Kenny but alas so many end up as Roy

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 07:35:45 pm »
http://www.ubuntu.com/

Don't even need to install it. Burn it onto a DVD and boot your laptop off the disk.

Yh found it thanks..

I think it's because I just searched for Linux and there's loads of versions isn't there?

Will install it outright, whats it like then? Never used it before, does it take much getting used to going from Windows?

Also does it need Anti Virus software, spyware software and firewall software?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 07:49:34 pm by NCrawley »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 08:06:35 pm »
Yh found it thanks..

I think it's because I just searched for Linux and there's loads of versions isn't there?

Will install it outright, whats it like then? Never used it before, does it take much getting used to going from Windows?

Also does it need Anti Virus software, spyware software and firewall software?

Everything you need is included free. If you install the defaults you should have a secure stable system then you can start installing extra bits...

The official guide to Ubuntu for Windows users is here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows

Offline Kiko Narváez

• ليفربول
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 08:21:50 pm »
not bad.. i have it on one of my computers..

Offline masch

• potato
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 10:01:54 pm »
Ubuntu is ace.

If you are thinking of switching to it what I'd suggest is partitioning your hard disk and dual booting.  The support for doing that has come a long way in recent years.  No longer do you have to count cylinders to resize your NTFS or configure grub, and some real unsung heroes who wrote ntfs wrapper mean you can read and write to an NTFS partition if needed. 

Dual booting is worth it for the occasions when you come across something that's WinXP only.  For instance I took an aptitude test online today; wouldn't let me take it until I made my user-agent say I was windows :P

hoonin

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 10:27:20 pm »
They've done a great job with it. Got a new laptop a year ago that came with the appalling Vista. Got so sick of it I binned it off for Linux.

Does pretty much everything I used in Windows (which admittedly isn't much) and is also close enough to Solaris to be able to use it for work related stuff.

Where can I download this? Is it free? How would I go about installing it?

You can do a remote install over the internet or download it and create a LiveCD (i.e. boot and run from a DVD rather than hard disk)

hoonin

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 10:30:07 pm »
Ubuntu is ace.

If you are thinking of switching to it what I'd suggest is partitioning your hard disk and dual booting. 

Good suggestion. A couple of minor probs I've had with having only Linux:

1) You need to initialise a mobile broadband modem from a windows machine for some reason. My 3 'dongle' worked fine on Ubuntu after doing that though, even though it's officially only supported for Windows & Mac.
2) Getting iTunes to work in WINE is a ball-ache I don't really want to bother with. Need iTunes to manage my phone.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:33:09 pm by Gareth »

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 11:54:35 pm »
Linux = hard work.

Sooner or later, you're going to have to get your hands dirty. If you want to learn how an OS
works at a lower level, Linux is great, and Ubuntu has a huge community and tons of documentation. If you don't give a fuck about the OS and just want to run your apps and hardware, and get online with minimum fuss, it's probably going to get on your tits big time at some point.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 11:56:56 pm »
Linux = hard work.

Sooner or later, you're going to have to get your hands dirty. If you want to learn how an OS
works at a lower level, Linux is great, and Ubuntu has a huge community and tons of documentation. If you don't give a fuck about the OS and just want to run your apps and hardware, and get online with minimum fuss, it's probably going to get on your tits big time at some point.

As unofficial tech support to numerous family and friends that don't give a fuck about the OS, Windows regularly gets on my tits.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 08:58:22 am »
i'm running DOS 3.1 on my laptop
STFU and agree with me.

Offline DowntheLine1981

• Ignorant of the Dhamma
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici
    • Work's MySpace page....
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 09:29:17 am »

Nice!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
~Aristotle

"The trouble with having an open mind is that people will come along and try to put things in it."
~Terry Pratchett

“If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline shankstheman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 10:03:38 am »
I installed Jaunty Jackalope about 4 months ago on my laptop and it worked 99.5% straight after the installation. The only hiccup I had was that the speakers would play even though my headphones were plugged in. That was pretty easy to sort out.

I then upgraded through "Update Manager" to 9.10 Beta and once again everything worked smoothly with no changes needed at all.

When they officially released 9.10 I then did a fresh install of my laptop but picked up numerous problems with Outlook Web Access (trying to get emails from an Exchange Server through webmail), my 3G card wouldn't connect properly and I couldn't get any sound out of my speakers, so I binned 9.10 and went back to 9.04.

I've since upgraded back to 9.10 and haven't had another issue.

I do run XP under VirtualBox for those apps that I need which don't have a Linux equivalent but I'm using those apps less and less everyday. Pretty soon I'll bin XP from VirtualBox.
"Chairman Mao has never seen a greater show of red strength." Bill Shankly

"The difference between Everton and the Queen Mary is that Everton carry more passengers!" Bill Shankly

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 12:06:53 pm »

real men use DOS!
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 12:14:07 pm »
real men use DOS!

Real Men use CP/M

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 01:12:00 pm »
Real Men go out and get some pussy.

hoonin

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 01:16:09 pm »

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 01:16:56 pm »
Real Men go out and get some pussy.

This is the tech forum, ideas like that won't get any traction around here...

Offline rotistgeil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 01:29:56 pm »
This is the tech forum, ideas like that won't get any traction around here...

Is this you then?  ;)

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 01:35:23 pm »
Is this you then?  ;)

No, but he bought the chair behind him from Ikea.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2009, 01:36:17 pm »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2009, 01:43:04 pm »
does pussy require a subscription fee?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2009, 01:43:41 pm »

You can go to a warez site and get the password.

Offline rotistgeil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2009, 01:44:34 pm »
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90094565

Never met an Ikea spotter before...did not even know they existed.

Going back on topic, Ubuntu is a good choice, as it is supported quite well by the community.

Offline rotistgeil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2009, 01:47:08 pm »

100 bucks for PC users, 1000 for Mac users as they do not mind paying extra.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 03:48:48 pm »
As unofficial tech support to numerous family and friends that don't give a fuck about the OS, Windows regularly gets on my tits.
Of course. Linux is a whole different kettle of fish, though. In the Linux community, it's considered perfectly acceptable to provide software only as source code and a list of dependencies. Sooner or later, you're going to have to compile something yourself.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2009, 04:10:11 pm »
Of course. Linux is a whole different kettle of fish, though. In the Linux community, it's considered perfectly acceptable to provide software only as source code and a list of dependencies. Sooner or later, you're going to have to compile something yourself.

I have done the recompile from sources thing fairly frequently. I have yet to do it on Ubuntu. Although I may not be a typical user. I have done System V Unix Admin in a former life, so administer my boxes via the command line but they have done a good job of hiding the complexity...

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 08:01:57 pm »
My sister got a second hand computer there a while back for free, it runs like shit, and i can't be bothered with finding cracks and shit to do a clean install of XP. Just wondering what flavour of Ubuntu i could install for her. All she wants to do really is surf the net.

Offline Kiko Narváez

• ليفربول
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 09:17:31 pm »
My sister got a second hand computer there a while back for free, it runs like shit, and i can't be bothered with finding cracks and shit to do a clean install of XP. Just wondering what flavour of Ubuntu i could install for her. All she wants to do really is surf the net.

ubuntu

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2009, 09:39:03 pm »
Will it run Itunes, torrents, sopcast and football manager
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2009, 09:52:41 pm »
Will it run Itunes, torrents, sopcast and football manager

I'd imagine there is a torrent client, doubt the others will mind you.