Author Topic: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread  (Read 474070 times)

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread
« Reply #5560 on: April 12, 2020, 05:56:49 pm »
I've never used this place but when I was looking for potential upgrades for our Mac server they seemed to have all the stuff:

https://www.thebookyard.com/

Thanks, shot them an email!

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5561 on: April 14, 2020, 01:04:11 pm »
My lad has a Macbook Air which he says is particularly annoying presently.
He seems to have search windows popping up, he thinks he has malware, poss from trying to download VBA years ago.

What's the best way of cleansing a Macbook Air.

Offline Carlos Eunuch Alberto

• Only gets a godd rub-down by paying for it - then posts about it on RAWK cos he has no mates to tell.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yeezy Taught Me!!
« Reply #5562 on: April 26, 2020, 10:02:36 am »
hi guys
is it worth gettin icloud
the storage on my macbook pro is ridiculous for a laptop at 128gb
Utd will win this no doubt about that,
I will happily cut my balls off and post them on here if they don't

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5563 on: April 26, 2020, 12:24:50 pm »
Yeah it is.
Well, depends on your kind of work.
Dropbox or Google drive might be more suitable. I use iCloud 256 GB for three euros a month and it’s great for backung up iPhone photos so they dont clog up my phone and tablet.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5564 on: May 6, 2020, 12:39:36 pm »
hi guys
is it worth gettin icloud
the storage on my macbook pro is ridiculous for a laptop at 128gb

Apple sold you an overpriced device with insufficient storage and your response is to start handing them more money monthly?

Is the macbook old enough that you can swap to a cheap, larger drive and reinstall OSX from the net?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5565 on: May 6, 2020, 12:40:59 pm »

I think Macs can still restore a clean version of OSX direct from the internet? It's been a while since I had to do it, but you had to hold down N as it boots and it's one of the options on there... after backing up data of course.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #5566 on: May 8, 2020, 11:07:48 am »
He seems to have search windows popping up, he thinks he has malware, poss from trying to download VBA years ago.

Late reply, but try running Malwarebyes free malware scanner on it. Might help a little.
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #5567 on: May 8, 2020, 11:15:14 am »
Late reply, but try running Malwarebyes free malware scanner on it. Might help a little.
I've been using ESET Cyber Security for years and it's been boss.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #5568 on: May 8, 2020, 11:17:08 am »

Arent Apple laptops traditionally free from virus, spyware, malware type of stuff?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5569 on: May 8, 2020, 11:18:10 am »
Arent Apple laptops traditionally free from virus, spyware, malware type of stuff?
Not 100%, which is why I installed ESET in the first place.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5570 on: May 9, 2020, 01:26:54 pm »

If he's with natwest you can get free AV software on the rewards app or maybe its on online banking.

https://personal.natwest.com/personal/fraud-and-security.html#malwarebytes

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5571 on: May 10, 2020, 10:14:54 am »

All these types of program are purposely written by people looking for the choicest targets. When the Mac share of the market was tiny, few hackers/scammers etc bothered writing stuff to infect OSX, leading to the absurd claims by some iZealots that Macs were inherently immune to such stuff.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5572 on: May 10, 2020, 01:31:14 pm »
"...iZealots..." <--- :) like that. So much better than "Apple Fanboys".

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5573 on: May 11, 2020, 02:37:11 pm »
My MacBook Pro (early 2015) was showing the battery condition as replace now for a few months. It started to turn off at 60% and by the end had less than 5% of its design capacity. I couldn't use without keeping it plugged in. I took it into Apple, who said the battery is attached to the body so they would have to replace the entire bottom of the laptop with a new part - but this would mean sending my laptop away for up to a week or more. I can't remember exactly how much they quoted but it was a fuckton.

Instead, I ordered a replacement battery & kit from iFixIt, followed their guide & replaced the battery in less than an hour. Now it's working as if it were brand-new. Would definitely recommend them. Cost around £115 inc shipping, which is a lot cheaper than the repair stores you get too.

On another note I was absolutely shocked by the amount of dust inside the body when I opened it up. Tried to get as much of it out as possible, worth it as it doesn't seem to get as hot anymore.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5574 on: May 11, 2020, 04:10:33 pm »
My MacBook Pro (early 2015) was showing the battery condition as replace now for a few months. It started to turn off at 60% and by the end had less than 5% of its design capacity. I couldn't use without keeping it plugged in. I took it into Apple, who said the battery is attached to the body so they would have to replace the entire bottom of the laptop with a new part - but this would mean sending my laptop away for up to a week or more. I can't remember exactly how much they quoted but it was a fuckton.

Instead, I ordered a replacement battery & kit from iFixIt, followed their guide & replaced the battery in less than an hour. Now it's working as if it were brand-new. Would definitely recommend them. Cost around £115 inc shipping, which is a lot cheaper than the repair stores you get too.

On another note I was absolutely shocked by the amount of dust inside the body when I opened it up. Tried to get as much of it out as possible, worth it as it doesn't seem to get as hot anymore.
Yeah it's another example of something that would send Jobs' body spinning in the grave - even on my rapdily-aging mid 2012 MBP, the rear cover's separate battery compartment (which used to such a laughingly simple lever-and-pull-out system) has been replaced with a complete cover!

It's fucking ridiculous now, attaching a battery to the panel so you basically scam users into going to service centres!

Last time I went to an official service centre, they had a booking-in-system, for diagnosis of issues. Turns out that that's just a control mechanism for THEIR benefit, to receive items and check them in 'efficiently'.........they still wanted me to leave it there for "a few days until we get around to looking at it."

Fuck. Right. Off.

There are loooooooooads of places now, private retailers, with apple-trained techies who know this 'older' equipment literally inside out (so the argument that "official centres have staff trained on latest equipment" only applies to users with.........the latest equipment) and they're perfect if you're not confident opening up an expensive laptop to poke around in the dust.

Oh yeah - that dust thing. Remember then black strip that separates the keyboard from the screen as you fold it open? Some snowflake tries to sell me a 2017 model the other week and I asked why that part was wide open - he said it's more efficient for cooling. I said, "Yeah until it gets clogged up with dust and crumbs and granola and quinoa or chia seeds......."

I think you just proved that point. Protect from the dust getting in, machine doesn't get as hot as quickly cos the fucking fan's not so easily clogged.

Again, I hear Jobs spinning, end of nerdyrant.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5575 on: May 11, 2020, 07:45:49 pm »
If he's with natwest you can get free AV software on the rewards app or maybe its on online banking.

https://personal.natwest.com/personal/fraud-and-security.html#malwarebytes
No unfortunately not Claire, thanks for the replies everyone, he hasn't taken any action as he needs it to be reliable while he's working from home so he doesn't want to do anything yet. Cheers all.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5576 on: May 13, 2020, 08:22:20 am »

As you're in the 6 year time frame they should've done that work for free. I don't know if the battery would be free as it's technically a consumable.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #5577 on: June 8, 2020, 04:04:41 pm »
Maybe a silly question this, but I’ve had MacBooks for probably the last 10 years. I’ve got a 2017 MacBook Air at the minute but realised the furthest it moves away from desk at home is to the sofa downstairs. I’m thinking of selling it and replacing it with an iMac, mainly to benefit from the larger screen. I usually buy refurbs from the Apple website. Would a base level iMac from 2017 be better spec than a base level MacBook Air from the same year?

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5578 on: June 8, 2020, 08:43:04 pm »
Maybe a silly question this, but I’ve had MacBooks for probably the last 10 years. I’ve got a 2017 MacBook Air at the minute but realised the furthest it moves away from desk at home is to the sofa downstairs. I’m thinking of selling it and replacing it with an iMac, mainly to benefit from the larger screen. I usually buy refurbs from the Apple website. Would a base level iMac from 2017 be better spec than a base level MacBook Air from the same year?

Presuming you're talking about these two models:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i5-1.8-13-2017-specs.html

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.3-21-inch-aluminum-mid-2017-specs.html

Then the iMac has the benefit of a processor 2 generations newer (and a good chunk faster) and it uses the faster DDR4 RAM compared to the Air's DDR3. The only problem is that they generally ship with mechanical hard drives (even now!) whilst the Air has an SSD. This will mean that, despite the higher spec, the iMac with quite often feel clunky and slow as it boots up or programs open. I don't know about a 2017 model but I was able to change the drive on a 2012 iMac to a decent SSD and even today I use it as my main 'office' machine (admittedly I also upped its RAM to 16GB and the CPU to an i7).

If there's an iMac listed on there with an SSD upgrade then it's better all round than the Air.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5579 on: June 8, 2020, 08:46:15 pm »
If there's an iMac listed on there with an SSD upgrade then it's better all round than the Air.
This. I still celebrate the day I ditched the optical drive in my MBP in favour of an SSD! the Air is okay for what it is........but I'd take the beefed up iMac any day, given what the stated need is.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5580 on: June 8, 2020, 08:49:35 pm »

At work once I had someone bring in their laptop because it was overheating, really slow, and shutting down within minutes etc. Opened it up and the fan and vent were absolutely clogged with dog hair which was letting dust settle on it and totally block up the airflow. She couldn't blame anyone else as it was issued new to her... it's fantastic when you have to bear the brunt of a colleague complaining about the crap equipment they get issued and get to turn around and point out it's their fault entirely (side note, the laptop was a cheap rebranded Clevo bought through a managed service provider and was, in fact, pretty crap build quality).

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5581 on: June 8, 2020, 08:49:50 pm »
If yours is the UK keyboard layout and tthe 256GB storage model, let me know - I'm actually looking........

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5582 on: June 8, 2020, 08:50:44 pm »
...it's fantastic when you have to bear the brunt of a colleague complaining about the crap equipment they get issued and get to turn around and point out it's their fault entirely...
Ah, "PICNIC" ;D

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #5583 on: June 8, 2020, 08:56:02 pm »
If yours is the UK keyboard layout and tthe 256GB storage model, let me know - I'm actually looking........

It’s UK keyboard but 128GB. 18 months old.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5584 on: June 8, 2020, 08:58:55 pm »
It’s UK keyboard but 128GB. 18 months old.
:( - hope you manage to sell it though. Decent model that - but I can't get on board with their reduced storage policy - fuck the cloud - there is no cloud - it's just somebody else's computer........ ;)

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5585 on: June 8, 2020, 09:56:03 pm »
:( - hope you manage to sell it though. Decent model that - but I can't get on board with their reduced storage policy - fuck the cloud - there is no cloud - it's just somebody else's computer........ ;)

Also, apart from storage, larger SSDs actually run faster than smaller ones (marginal gains, but you get what you can squeeze). I run a file server at home that stores any media, documents etc (easier to back up from a single location etc) and the only things that sit on my machines are downloaded files before I decide if I'm keeping them. Even then I liked to keep 250GB as my minimum, and the machines in more regular use have 500GB (with my gaming machine having a 1TB nvme, but to be fair that does hold the Steam library).

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5586 on: June 8, 2020, 11:34:27 pm »
Just picked up a refurbed 16in MacBook Pro, over priced compared to my windows computers but fairly impressed with my first MacBook, seamless with my Apple TV  and iPhone, easy to move things around on one system,, no fanboy but can't help being impressed how convenient it is, only hing I'm missing is touchscreen, keep reaching for it. maybe needing advice as newbie look forward to participating in thread
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5587 on: June 8, 2020, 11:48:51 pm »
Do not. I mean do not get an iMac with a spinny hard drive. Some base models have 5200 rpm drives which are incredibly slow and really bog down the machine. Had one - fuck that. You’re better off getting a higher spec 2015 retina model with a Fusion drive at least.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5588 on: June 8, 2020, 11:58:27 pm »
Do not. I mean do not get an iMac with a spinny hard drive. Some base models have 5200 rpm drives which are incredibly slow and really bog down the machine. Had one - fuck that. You’re better off getting a higher spec 2015 retina model with a Fusion drive at least.

Earlier this year I was getting quotes to refurbish our current suite of MacBook pros (which have done well, they're 2010 models). The 3 options we wanted each supplier to provide a quote for were like-for-like, Mac Minis, or iMacs. I couldn't believe that the iMac quotes (for whatever the most recent model year is) were coming back with mechanical drives. In 2020!

In the end we plumped for the Mac Minis, but I have no idea what the status of the project is due to lockdown (and to be honest I'd rather not progress it as I can't stand working with OSX anyway).

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5589 on: June 9, 2020, 06:40:25 am »
Mini is great, their best machine imo. They are reliable and somewhat upgreadable.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5590 on: June 9, 2020, 06:46:38 am »
I love my Mini. Really need to upgrade to a newer one, but my 2011 model still works a great.

Offline CP Dinosaurs

• Main Stander
  • ‘On our way to victory’
« Reply #5591 on: June 12, 2020, 05:15:38 pm »
They are bullet proof - max book air has served me over the years. Well worth the upfront investment

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5592 on: June 13, 2020, 12:16:29 am »

I use 3 different machines and it doesn't half come in handy all this syncing and stuff. And being able to access things on my phone/ipad, don't even have to think about it. Don't have to be arsed with backing up and it costs pennies!!

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #5593 on: June 13, 2020, 02:54:25 pm »
I think my hard drive is broken

My Mac takes ages to load up after password screen then goes to screen with a circle with a line in it so I rebooted in recovery went to disk utility to repair hard drive and it doesn’t even appear in the menu on the side!

This will be the 2nd hard drive now that’s broken

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5594 on: June 13, 2020, 11:10:20 pm »
Bit off topic but thinking of getting an iPad Pro 11 inch. I currently use a 2018 iPad 9.7 so was looking to find out if it is significantly better. What’s drawing me to it is the bigger screen with 120 FPS. It’s a bit over kill power wise though as I only use it for browsing, social media and YouTube with the odd bit of Netflix.

I know they have some events coming up in a few weeks and again in September. There is talk of a newer iPad Air being announced at one of these events so would you wait for those and/or a price drop on the current pro?

Below the pro is a lot cheaper than normal shops and Apple themselves so I have my suspicions, would you be happy buying from them?

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/apple-ipad-pro-11-2020-wifi-128gb-space-gray-1.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw8pH3BRAXEiwA1pvMsVVosa_qLzXJkmZr0TeJlMC_zdoT0mXoX4HAGy0GzkVa0FoxV9i_OxoCy7UQAvD_BwE

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/apple-ipad-pro-12-9-2020-wifi-128gb-white-silver-1.html

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5595 on: June 13, 2020, 11:24:30 pm »
Fucking hell, that’s a huge discount...

That’s...odd...

Face ID is great on the iPad Pro and it’s screen is top notch.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5596 on: June 14, 2020, 08:30:55 pm »
Fucking hell, that’s a huge discount...

That’s...odd...

Face ID is great on the iPad Pro and it’s screen is top notch.
Yeah it’s very cheap, around €200 cheaper than anywhere else here for the 12.9. Which size do you have? I was thinking the 12.9 might be a bit cumbersome sitting on the couch scrolling through rawk.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5597 on: June 14, 2020, 08:36:40 pm »
Yeah it’s very cheap, around €200 cheaper than anywhere else here for the 12.9. Which size do you have? I was thinking the 12.9 might be a bit cumbersome sitting on the couch scrolling through rawk.

I’ve the 12.9 and it’s perfect. Personally wouldn’t want smaller.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5598 on: June 14, 2020, 08:41:06 pm »
I’ve the 12.9 and it’s perfect. Personally wouldn’t want smaller.
Is the extra weight okay? And do you use a case, if so what one?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5599 on: June 14, 2020, 08:42:09 pm »
Is the extra weight okay? And do you use a case, if so what one?

I’ve a Logitech keyboard case and love it. Makes it very easy to work with like a normal laptop.

Weight is fine, it’s really not heavy at all.