Author Topic: Liverpool's defence - Giraffes, Walls and Automobiles  (Read 168844 times)

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
Re: Liverpool defence thread
« Reply #1760 on: December 31, 2020, 12:21:32 am »
Must buy a CB now

No question
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Online Redman78

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1761 on: December 31, 2020, 10:16:41 am »
We really miss VVD/Gomez being able to build out from the back. It's clear that Phillips isn't great at long balls / fizzing passes to the feet. Williams is a bit better but still clearly quite young. Fabinho is good at it but his passing ability is much better suited when he's playing the 6.

I think we miss that more than VVD/Gomez as defenders personally.

Good points. Although I'd say just as crucial, if not more so is that we are not playing as high up the field as we did due to the injuries and you can see also see that maybe the midfield aren't playing with the same freedom as they normally would, knowing that they have CB's with the required quality and recovery pace behind them.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #1762 on: December 31, 2020, 04:59:00 pm »
Here are the records of Liverpool's 14 different centre-back pairings this season, if you're interested.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1763 on: December 31, 2020, 05:01:05 pm »
That Van Dijk/Gomez combo is a bit shit, isnt it.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1764 on: December 31, 2020, 05:10:06 pm »
Must buy a CB now

No question

Happy new year mate.  :wave

Liverpool have completed the signing of 16-year-old defender Stefan Bajcetic from Celta Vigo for €250,000 (£224,000). [@TheAthletic- @CaoimheSport]

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1765 on: December 31, 2020, 06:39:09 pm »
That Van Dijk/Gomez combo is a bit shit, isnt it.
Was about to post that... ;D

Those 7 Villa goals throw everything out of whack.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline BassTunedToRed

• Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #1766 on: December 31, 2020, 08:35:00 pm »
Was about to post that... ;D

Those 7 Villa goals throw everything out of whack.

Villa only account for five of them... Arsenal two (CS and league), Leeds three.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1767 on: December 31, 2020, 10:17:38 pm »
The sample sizes are so small that you could really declare it means something or nothing and there would be no difference  When I watch the games all I can say is that as an athlete neither Rhys Williams or Nat Phillips are at the level as the rest of the squad and they're probably not PL level.  Should 45 or 90 minutes where they don't give up a goal change that?

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1768 on: January 1, 2021, 05:34:19 pm »
Here are the records of Liverpool's 14 different centre-back pairings this season, if you're interested.

Cheers for sharing, Andrew 👍
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline UNO

• Kopite
« Reply #1769 on: January 1, 2021, 05:37:38 pm »
Our best pairing, VVD and Matip, only played 11 minutes this season!

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1770 on: January 2, 2021, 05:42:03 am »
The sample sizes are so small that you could really declare it means something or nothing and there would be no difference  When I watch the games all I can say is that as an athlete neither Rhys Williams or Nat Phillips are at the level as the rest of the squad and they're probably not PL level.  Should 45 or 90 minutes where they don't give up a goal change that?

Yes

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1771 on: January 2, 2021, 11:43:09 am »
I think we will buy a CB in this window, we were a CB down after losing Lovren.
Under normal circumstances Fab would have been adequate cover, but after the loss of VVD, Gomez and Matip (will always miss games) we are short. I think Klopp was hoping the youngsters would be able to cover, and at first they looked like a solution and have done us proud.   
 I personally don't want to see Rhys, Billy and Nat playing the majority of the games, they are a year or so off (which is totally understandable)

Offline Red1976

• Main Stander
« Reply #1772 on: January 2, 2021, 03:17:50 pm »
I doubt we will buy, or even get in on loan, a centre back / defender in the January sales. I think Klopp will keep faith in the youngsters and give them more experience in the first team. 

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1773 on: January 2, 2021, 03:20:06 pm »
Our best pairing, VVD and Matip, only played 11 minutes this season!
That's not our best pairing.

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1774 on: January 2, 2021, 04:00:59 pm »
I don’t think any of our 2 young CB’s have enough pace to cut it long term in the prem or CL games
Both have looked hyppia slow when chasing any forward they have been up against

We would be crazy not to get someone in even on loan
If fab gets injured you could nearly write our season off

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1775 on: January 2, 2021, 05:11:37 pm »
That's not our best pairing.

It seems to be the go to pairing for Klopp when both are fit. It was the starting pairing last season and the pairing he chose for the champions league final.

Not only is Matip great as a defender, he is also a threat at set pieces.

Or were you thinking Matip and Fabinho based on this season's performances? :-)
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1776 on: January 2, 2021, 05:44:33 pm »
Yes

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1777 on: January 2, 2021, 06:12:58 pm »
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I'll give it to you. You can't be worse than a broken clock.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1778 on: January 4, 2021, 12:07:01 pm »
I'm curious at this stage as to whether we can use Gini, Henderson or Milner in the centre back slots as cover at this point. Thiago, Ox, Keita, Jones - we do have cover in the midfield positions...

Cue rumours of Henderson starting at centre half... Klopp's Johan Cruyff moment? ;D
« Last Edit: January 4, 2021, 03:48:39 pm by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #1779 on: January 4, 2021, 07:27:24 pm »
I doubt we will buy, or even get in on loan, a centre back / defender in the January sales. I think Klopp will keep faith in the youngsters and give them more experience in the first team. 

I think there's actually a far bigger picture approach to everything at the club these days and so there'll be lots of factors going into this. Not least what happens at the other end of the pitch.

Personally, I'd like to see us go out and sign given Gomez and Matip's injury records.
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1780 on: January 4, 2021, 07:57:04 pm »
I'm curious at this stage as to whether we can use Gini, Henderson or Milner in the centre back slots as cover at this point. Thiago, Ox, Keita, Jones - we do have cover in the midfield positions...

Cue rumours of Henderson starting at centre half... Klopp's Johan Cruyff moment? ;D

rumours? I've been shouting Hendo since Matip sat down.

Best man for the Job.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1781 on: January 4, 2021, 08:52:44 pm »
Can we do a double January deal for two players in the same position like we did with Dudek and Kirkland.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1782 on: January 7, 2021, 02:50:30 pm »

Not even just to have faith in youngsters but because we don't sign players for 6 months. We're not going to make a Steven Caulker type signing with these owners and this manager. Not doing that has worked out well for us so far so I'm not worried whether we sign a centre-back or not, to be honest. If there's one available that we're interested in for 3 or 4 years rather than months then great. But if there's not, well, we'll wait until there is.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1783 on: January 7, 2021, 02:56:39 pm »
Not even just to have faith in youngsters but because we don't sign players for 6 months. We're not going to make a Steven Caulker type signing with these owners and this manager. Not doing that has worked out well for us so far so I'm not worried whether we sign a centre-back or not, to be honest. If there's one available that we're interested in for 3 or 4 years rather than months then great. But if there's not, well, we'll wait until there is.

Klopp's press conference said that he wants one, even a short term one if possible. But simply we cannot afford one and there is also no suitable short term option available.

Offline Red Giant

• da red giant asshole
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1784 on: January 7, 2021, 10:42:21 pm »
Huge mistake selling Coates... and Clyne!

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1785 on: January 7, 2021, 11:05:33 pm »

The season we signed Caulker pretty sure we were playing Lucas at CB ahead of him. Not even sure he was making the squad apart from the first couple weeks

I don't think people realise we're more likely to do that again than play someone who isn't at our standard

Can't forget Williams and Phillips were getting played because we had no midfielders either

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1786 on: January 7, 2021, 11:07:18 pm »
Good to hear Matip might be back for United anyway

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1787 on: January 8, 2021, 11:08:59 am »
Klopp's press conference said that he wants one, even a short term one if possible. But simply we cannot afford one and there is also no suitable short term option available.

It's never true to say we can't afford one, it is just an interpretation on how we move finance around. If the club needed to find £25 million for a new player, they could do this.
Hopefully, we are negotiating right now for players and this "no money" story is part of the narrative.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1788 on: January 8, 2021, 11:37:29 am »
It's never true to say we can't afford one, it is just an interpretation on how we move finance around. If the club needed to find £25 million for a new player, they could do this.
Hopefully, we are negotiating right now for players and this "no money" story is part of the narrative.

I think a lot of clubs think that we will buy out of desperation and splash the cash. I think JK is just dealing with that kind of feeling, however not sure if it'll actually be effective at reducing the price that clubs demand for players we really need

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1789 on: February 9, 2021, 06:30:18 pm »
Thought I'd dig this thread out, rather than continue to see the general defence discussions going on in various different threads.
How do we think we'll go about the Leicester game at the Weekend?
Personally I think we'll perhaps see one of Hendo/Fabinho partner one of Phillips, Davies or Kabak for the next 3 games before possibly seeing a defensive partnership of two of Phillips, Davies or Kabak from the Sheffield United game towards the end of the season.
In terms of who should remain at the back, I'm edging towards keeping Henderson there with Fabinho moving into midfield. If that were to happen the it's a toss up between the three recognised centre backs as to who partners him and my money would probably be on Kabak although this is more of a gut feeling.
I would quite like to see a partnership of Kabak and Davies given a go, with both Henderson and Fabinho going back into midfield.
As for the full backs, I think it's obvious that Robbo is need of a rest but again I'm not so sure that'll happen until the next three games are out of the way and it's clear you can't just drop three new lads in together at the back.
It's gonna be interesting over the next few weeks.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #1790 on: April 7, 2021, 12:01:08 pm »
Can’t find the Robertson thread so thought I’d post it in here.

What’s happened to the lad? Our left hand side has been totally neutralised for months and months now. There was a point in the season when he was the only player that was showing up but can’t really remember the last time he took on his man or put on a decent cross in the box. Worrying that both him and mane are so out of form and have been for ages now. Not helping that he’s not getting a breather but klopp doesn’t seem to trust tsimikas at all.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1791 on: April 7, 2021, 03:49:54 pm »
On this, if I had to best I'd say Ben Davies will not set foot on the field as a Liverpool player, unless it is the last game of the season and the mathematics are done. He will then be sold for a small profit.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1792 on: April 28, 2021, 12:34:22 am »
:D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1793 on: June 9, 2021, 05:39:26 pm »
Anyone got a link or photo of Gomez and Virg training together?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1794 on: June 9, 2021, 05:46:27 pm »
Anyone got a link or photo of Gomez and Virg training together?

https://twitter.com/AnfieldWatch/status/1402639768920461322

Virj and Joe training together.  8)

Samie posted in the Virge thread...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1795 on: September 20, 2021, 08:38:15 am »
Looking at our options now compared to the tail end last season makes me realise what an amazing achievement that champions league qualification actually was

VVD, Matip, Gomez, Konate and Phillips all fit. The strength in depth is second to none and it’s shown already

Offline BassTunedToRed

• Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #1796 on: September 20, 2021, 11:00:21 am »
From @michael_reid11 on Twitter:

Liverpool have conceded just one goal from their opening five Premier League games this season.

That's #LFC's joint-lowest ever at this stage of a league season, having also only conceded one from five in 1977-78.

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #1797 on: September 20, 2021, 02:17:06 pm »
From @michael_reid11 on Twitter:

Liverpool have conceded just one goal from their opening five Premier League games this season.

That's #LFC's joint-lowest ever at this stage of a league season, having also only conceded one from five in 1977-78.
Here's hoping for the same outcome and with a league title at the end of the season.  :)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #1798 on: September 20, 2021, 02:27:19 pm »
Here's hoping for the same outcome and with a league title at the end of the season.  :)

I'm afraid we finished second that year, though retaining the European Cup softened the blow!

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #1799 on: September 21, 2021, 12:50:34 am »
I'm afraid we finished second that year, though retaining the European Cup softened the blow!
I know, that's why I said with a league title as well!  :D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.