Author Topic: FM10 SPL World Domination Simulation Draft - Discussion thread!  (Read 21755 times)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FM10 SPL World Domination Simulation Draft - Discussion thread!
« Reply #160 on: December 1, 2019, 10:30:23 pm »
Is that Fat Ronaldo's brov who plays DM for some shite plastic's company pub team?

Oh that was offsides now... gonna leave a permanent mark on Claus (permanent marker) :)

Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #161 on: December 1, 2019, 10:31:19 pm »
Has origins in all three but let's just say he is 3 years old, has a voice, and knows how to use it.

Dude is potty training so I guess he's entitled to taking a piss now and again.

More likely to end up a future NFL head coach or on a discord server?  ;D
Linudden.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: December 1, 2019, 10:35:21 pm »
I'm just mad your OAPs bested me tonight  :D

It was very close, I figured you were going to cause an upset.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: December 1, 2019, 11:21:30 pm »
So, good night all - and dream of large destroying midfielders like Arturo Vidal....
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #165 on: December 1, 2019, 11:31:48 pm »
So, good night all - and dream of large destroying midfielders like Arturo Vidal....

See you tomorrow  :wave

I've introduced all of today's picked into the file and have it open in the game now. Quite a sight to behold.
Linudden.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #166 on: December 2, 2019, 08:52:20 am »
Rooney, Robben, Alonso and Ozil seems like a decent start but I've got no fucking clue if they're any good in FM10.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #167 on: December 2, 2019, 10:44:45 am »
Rooney, Robben, Alonso and Ozil seems like a decent start but I've got no fucking clue if they're any good in FM10.

They are good. Özil has the potential to be 4/5 even though just like in real life he's a fairweather player and probably will lose morale if the team isn't successful. Robben is brilliant on the ball but has to managed perfectly to avoid too many injuries: in effect sub off whenever the team is leading. Given there's an AI manager I'm a bit skeptical of his chances to stay injury-free, but I suppose if it works it's brilliant because he's basically the one player in the game who starts at combining 19/20 in pace and 19/20 in dribbling.
Linudden.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #168 on: December 2, 2019, 10:47:52 am »
They are good. Özil has the potential to be 4/5 even though just like in real life he's a fairweather player and probably will lose morale if the team isn't successful. Robben is brilliant on the ball but has to managed perfectly to avoid too many injuries: in effect sub off whenever the team is leading. Given there's an AI manager I'm a bit skeptical of his chances to stay injury-free, but I suppose if it works it's brilliant because he's basically the one player in the game who starts at combining 19/20 in pace and 19/20 in dribbling.

We`re only picking 11 players?

I thought injuries would therefore be turned off?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #169 on: December 2, 2019, 10:56:47 am »
We`re only picking 11 players?

I thought injuries would therefore be turned off?

They can't be turned off. The whole advantage of picking first is that wise picks = better XI than the bottom teams that have better overall squads. It's a bit of a leveller.

I'm open to a 12th pick, however, but that must be a British/Irish player if so.
Linudden.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: December 2, 2019, 11:01:14 am »
They can't be turned off. The whole advantage of picking first is that wise picks = better XI than the bottom teams that have better overall squads. It's a bit of a leveller.

I'm open to a 12th pick, however, but that must be a British/Irish player if so.

So the teams can still play with less than 11?

What if there are long term injuries?

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #171 on: December 2, 2019, 11:21:02 am »
So the teams can still play with less than 11?

What if there are long term injuries?

Oh. You inherit the Kilmarnock 2009-10 squad  ;D

So Kevin Kyle, Gavin Skelton, Graeme Owens and co get some handy company to play with.
Linudden.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: December 2, 2019, 11:24:20 am »
Oh. You inherit the Kilmarnock 2009-10 squad  ;D

So Kevin Kyle, Gavin Skelton, Graeme Owens and co get some handy company to play with.

Ah, i did not know that. Cool.

Big Kev as a target man for Luis. It will be like playing with Andy Carroll all over again!

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #173 on: December 2, 2019, 11:26:00 am »
Ah, i did not know that. Cool.

Big Kev as a target man for Luis. It will be like playing with Andy Carroll all over again!

He's one slow guy but I've really hated when they pump balls into him and I have Diamond and Considine as Aberdeen to defend with 12 and 11 respectively for their leaps on a scale up to 20. Disaster!
Linudden.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #174 on: December 2, 2019, 11:42:04 am »
Why are you guys even still drafting? No way are you gonna beat my "best of barca"-eleven... :D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: December 2, 2019, 12:10:57 pm »
Why are you guys even still drafting? No way are you gonna beat my "best of barca"-eleven... :D

Well, probably because Puyol retired in 2014 and there will be at least two more seasons of simulated games, but maybe you'll have gotten tired of lifting trophies?

Who will be your CB in 2015 & 2016?

Bunch of Italians too who retired in 2014 - I suppose you could draft a team where the last two years they fall off
« Last Edit: December 2, 2019, 12:12:30 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #176 on: December 2, 2019, 12:13:11 pm »
Well, probably because Puyol retired in 2014 and there will be at least two more seasons of simulated games, but maybe you'll have gotten tired of lifting trophies?

Who will be your CB in 2015 & 2016?

And of course there's nothing to stop Puyol retiring earlier in the simulation. He could be done by 2012.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #177 on: December 2, 2019, 12:34:12 pm »
Like, I'm fine with Trend's suggestion of a 12th pick for reasons like that Puyol thing.

Upon thinking about it I see many advantages with a 12th British/Irish wildcard pick:

* There will be very few British players playing in the league after our 132 normal picks are done.
* Shaving away a further 12 players from the EPL further helps the SPL in Europe.
* Cover for players retiring early.
* Cover for African players off at Afcon (Something Worse will raise his hands at this  ;D)
* Tiny bit better cover for the weakest teams.
* Doesn't mean one injury = you're fucked.

Most importantly:

* Cover for a manager getting sacked and a change of playing system. The risk for the big clubs (Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs) that are expected to qualify for Europe is overwhelming in that the manager will be given the boot given the media expectations will remain high after all, so top clubs also would benefit from that extra pick, not just the teams starting at the bottom.

So long as the 12th pick is an international for either Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland or Northern Ireland and don't play in a Scottish club already I think it's totally cool.

Any objections?  :wave
« Last Edit: December 2, 2019, 12:37:53 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: December 2, 2019, 12:48:57 pm »
What's the hold up? Who is next ?

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #179 on: December 2, 2019, 12:50:39 pm »
What's the hold up? Who is next ?

XabiArt and Something Worse. Both have been off since before 8 am UK time. I'm not sure when we should pick regardless and then allow those to pick, perhaps two in a row, as soon as they come back? Xabi is in England after all and therefore are during his workday so I think it might be unfair to pick in the meantime? Something Worse I do believe lives in America? Not sure.

Max_powers is in Canada so can't be expected to pick for a few hours but that's a bit until then. I guess internet access during work varies a lot between different people and I want to be as fair as possible. I'm thinking about letting Trend, next in line after those two, pick within an hour or two though.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2019, 12:53:35 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: December 2, 2019, 12:52:48 pm »
Nah... Something Worse is Claus and I think he's in yank land.. I can live with the delay though as I'll be on the plane in an hour for an hour and then driving home another two hours... ;)

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #181 on: December 2, 2019, 12:55:12 pm »
Nah... Something Worse is Claus and I think he's in yank land.. I can live with the delay though as I'll be on the plane in an hour for an hour and then driving home another two hours... ;)

Ich wünsche dir eine gute Reise! Hoffentlich auch ein stabiler Flug  :D In jeden Fall, vielleicht ist es am besten, bis fünf Uhr Liverpool zeit zu warten?

(Translation for non-speakers: I wish you a pleasant trip! Hopefully a stable flight. In this case, perhaps it is the best to wait until 5 pm Liverpool time?)
« Last Edit: December 2, 2019, 12:57:17 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: December 2, 2019, 12:56:41 pm »
Imo same rules should apply as regular drafts, one hour per pick regardless where you're at :D

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: December 2, 2019, 12:56:56 pm »
Ich wünsche dir eine gute Reise! Hoffentlich auch ein stabiler Flug  :D
Danke... It'll be less than an hour so not much of an issue... :D

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #184 on: December 2, 2019, 12:58:10 pm »
Imo same rules should apply as regular drafts, one hour per pick regardless where you're at :D

15-yard penalty, automatic first down = Messi to Celtic?  ;D
Linudden.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: December 2, 2019, 12:58:54 pm »
Like, I'm fine with Trend's suggestion of a 12th pick for reasons like that Puyol thing.

Upon thinking about it I see many advantages with a 12th British/Irish wildcard pick:

* There will be very few British players playing in the league after our 132 normal picks are done.
* Shaving away a further 12 players from the EPL further helps the SPL in Europe.
* Cover for players retiring early.
* Cover for African players off at Afcon (Something Worse will raise his hands at this  ;D)
* Tiny bit better cover for the weakest teams.
* Doesn't mean one injury = you're fucked.

Most importantly:

* Cover for a manager getting sacked and a change of playing system. The risk for the big clubs (Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs) that are expected to qualify for Europe is overwhelming in that the manager will be given the boot given the media expectations will remain high after all, so top clubs also would benefit from that extra pick, not just the teams starting at the bottom.

So long as the 12th pick is an international for either Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland or Northern Ireland and don't play in a Scottish club already I think it's totally cool.

Any objections?  :wave

Agree with all of the above except one thing - to institute a new rule with a limited supply changes the draft (imo).

I do think 12th man is needed, but limiting it to the above countries in the middle of the draft (mind you not before the draft) does not take into account those teams who planned to pass on certain players and are now rewarded. 

I liken it to a teacher who demands a deadline and many if not almost all of the students stay up late to finish, while a few others do not (and the teacher extends the deadline by a few days to accommodate a few) at the expense of the many.

Would prefer to choose from all of Europe for the 12th man as this is the theme of the draft.

My two cents...   
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #186 on: December 2, 2019, 12:59:07 pm »
Danke... It'll be less than an hour so not much of an issue... :D

German grammar sucks! I do speak it half-fluently but still have to check Google Translate everytime I'm trying to write in it to not look like "der dummer Schwedner" :D
« Last Edit: December 2, 2019, 01:03:04 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #187 on: December 2, 2019, 01:00:48 pm »
Agree with all of the above except one thing - to institute a new rule with a limited supply changes the draft (imo).

I do think 12th man is needed, but limiting it to the above countries in the middle of the draft (mind you not before the draft) does not take into account those teams who planned to pass on certain players and are now rewarded. 

I liken it to a teacher who demands a deadline and many if not almost all of the students stay up late to finish, while a few others do not (and the teacher extends the deadline by a few days to accommodate a few) at the expense of the many.

Would prefer to choose from all of Europe for the 12th man as this is the theme of the draft.

My two cents...

Fair enough, I just thought it'd be charming to get some British players in...
Linudden.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: December 2, 2019, 01:04:31 pm »
Fair enough, I just thought it'd be charming to get some British players in...

It totally is charming. 

Would have been on board - you had me at hello (at the beginning) but in the middle --- it means I have to do more research to accommodate when the burden should be on Stoa to figure out how he'll manage lifting all of those trophies early on and then take back medicine for later :)

Let's see what others say --- I do not want to be a wet spoon here :)
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #189 on: December 2, 2019, 01:04:46 pm »

Anyway, is this some sort of sacred ancient draft rule? If so I might open it up.

Either way, Xabi just came round and picked Edin Dzeko, so now it's only down to: do we jump Something Worse and leave him the next pick when he comes back? He's #1 for next round regardless, but I don't want to piss people off if it's against historical precedent  :wave
« Last Edit: December 2, 2019, 01:06:53 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: December 2, 2019, 01:07:07 pm »

I`m at my desk today, but usually i`m in deepest darkest Ayrshire with limited internet coverage. Will have to see what my future picks are like if i am out "on the road".

I guess we could impose a time limit and push the non-responders back a slot, but that will require some admin.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: December 2, 2019, 01:08:12 pm »
Anyway, is this some sort of sacred ancient draft rule? If so I might open it up.

Either way, Xabi just came round and picked Edin Dzeko, so now it's only down to: do we jump Something Worse and leave him the next pick when he comes back? He's #1 for next round regardless, but I don't want to piss people off if it's against historical precedent  :wave

What we've always done is after the first round [in where you have an unlimited time to pick], you have an hour in between picks.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #192 on: December 2, 2019, 01:10:27 pm »
What we've always done is after the first round [in where you have an unlimited time to pick], you have an hour in between picks.

Alright, Trend, the floor is yours after 9 am Eastern Time, given Xabi just picked, Something Worse deserves his time and may still show up before then! Given you're in the DC, any pick before that and I'll send the deep state or whatever the Q-anon loons call them your way  ;D
Linudden.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: December 2, 2019, 01:12:13 pm »
Alrighty --- stuck between two picks anyway (the time or Claus getting back is a good thing).
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: December 2, 2019, 01:12:19 pm »

My two cents...

I agree with this as well, out of pure selfish reasons  ;D

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #195 on: December 2, 2019, 01:12:31 pm »
I`m at my desk today, but usually i`m in deepest darkest Ayrshire with limited internet coverage. Will have to see what my future picks are like if i am out "on the road".

I guess we could impose a time limit and push the non-responders back a slot, but that will require some admin.

I'm out of work with a masters' degree in political science so I cover both bases :champ
Linudden.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: December 2, 2019, 01:14:13 pm »
I'm out of work with a masters' degree in political science so I cover both bases :champ

Lucky you!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: December 2, 2019, 01:15:45 pm »

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #198 on: December 2, 2019, 01:17:51 pm »
Lucky you!

My bank account disagrees  :o

"out of work" = unemployed in this case. Applied for several dozens of jobs this year but the experience wanking is getting under my skin.

Either way, another option if you think you might miss a pick is to PM your pick to me beforehand and if no-one else picks him I select him in your stead. Entirely doable given you pick before me in each round!
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #199 on: December 2, 2019, 01:18:39 pm »

I wish you were head of recruitment in my municipality then  ;D  :'(  :butt
Linudden.