Author Topic: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU  (Read 327168 times)

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU
« on: July 20, 2013, 09:50:13 pm »
Just been officially announced by Warner Bros at Comic Con. Directed by Zack Snyder, it's essentially a sequel to Man of Steel.

Cavill, Adams, Fishburne all set to return. Batman still to be cast.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:13:16 am by SP »

Online Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
Re: Superman/Batman film coming 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 09:54:20 pm »
Shite.

Too soon after the new Batman, and it's not like Man of Steel was anything to write home about.

So uninspiring.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 09:59:54 pm »
And its Zack Snyder so at best it'll be meh.

They really need to make that Patton Oswald one.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 10:00:09 pm »
It's a total money grab. MoS was massively flawed for me, but I was looking forward to sequels where he tackled the likes of Luthor and Braniac. Those can still happen, I suppose, but you know everyone will be more interested in Batman than Superman going into this film.

The fact it's being exec-produced by Chris Nolan makes me wonder if he'll allow them to use his Batman in it. Not sure I'd be happy with that though, loved Bale but think we need a fresh take.

Online Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 10:15:17 pm »
Aww yiss.

Muthafuckin Bats and Supes.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 01:03:48 am »
I wonder if that mean Wollaton Hall will be closed to the public again for Batman.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline unknownuser

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 02:19:26 am »

Don't fuck this up WB  :wanker

Offline IAmZlatan

• Anny Roader
  • Honorary Blackbelt
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 03:05:01 am »
Didn't see the announcement but according to wiki "the sequel will have Batman and Superman meeting on the big screen". To me, that sounds more like it will be a stand alone Superman movie, with maybe an ending/post-credits scene of Batman and Superman coming together, laying the groundwork for the future team-up movie.

EDIT: Further poking around seems as though my speculation is wrong, and that it will probably be Supes + Bats.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:07:13 am by IAmZlatan »
“I like fireworks too, but I set them off in gardens or kebab stands. I never set fire to my own house.”

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 05:25:47 am »
Shite.

Too soon after the new Batman, and it's not like Man of Steel was anything to write home about.

So uninspiring.

You know literally nothing about the movie other than Batman and Superman are in it.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Online Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 05:43:01 am »
You know literally nothing about the movie other than Batman and Superman are in it.
Not true.

I know who's directing it too.

Shite.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 06:13:02 am »
Not true.

I know who's directing it too.

Shite.

I bet everyone just loves it when they tell you things.

"I'm getting married!"
"Shite. He'll cheat on you"

"I'm having a baby!"
"Shite. It's financially irresponsible"

"I'm cancer-free at last!"
"Shite. It'll come back"
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 08:24:18 am »
That's a fat-ass Bat logo. Holding out hope for an Adam West return.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 08:25:05 am »
As has been mentioned before, it's a film by Zack Snyder. That automatically means it is going to be shit. It will probably be written by Goyer as well, so the current Man of Steel team.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
Superman/Batman film coming 2015
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 08:36:42 am »
Well, I put a thread up about 2015....Goyer (or whoever) will have 6 months or less to write a shooting script as they'll have to start filming this early 2014.

Avengers: Age of Ultron is out May 1, so maybe they'd want to release first, otherwise they might be Loki to Marvel's Hulk.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 08:47:43 am »
Safer choice than JL I suppose, shame if it's just the same team who did MoS though. Who knows, maybe they'll bring some other people in to address the weaknesses in MoS.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Online Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 08:52:41 am »
Well, I put a thread up about 2015....Goyer (or whoever) will have 6 months or less to write a shooting script as they'll have to start filming this early 2014.

Avengers: Age of Ultron is out May 1, so maybe they'd want to release first, otherwise they might be Loki to Marvel's Hulk.
It's Batman and Supes. They could hire Uwe Boll to direct and it'd still make upwards of $500 million.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 09:47:59 am »

The fact it's being exec-produced by Chris Nolan makes me wonder if he'll allow them to use his Batman in it. Not sure I'd be happy with that though, loved Bale but think we need a fresh take.

thought I read somewhere that Nolan wasn't pleased with the extent of his input of man of steel and wouldn't be part of the sequel

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 10:54:52 am »
How exactly do they make Superman/Batman work in the comics and what not? Batman is my favourite superhero - but compared to Superman he's pretty insignificant in terms of what he can do. I don't see why Superman would waste any time with him!!!

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 11:01:12 am »
Shite.

So uninspiring.

Got to agree with this. I'm the biggest Batman fan and yet I'm underwhelmed by this completely. Apart from thinking Man of Steel was a bit of a letdown, and I think a lot of that is down to Snyder, it's just too soon to re-boot the character of Batman AGAIN. Part of the reason I was utterly non-plussed (and still am) about the new Spiderman film was that I just couldn't be arsed with ANOTHER origin tale.

How do you re-do Batman, in another Superhero's movie? How do you re-tell the same character again, but while providing a sequel to Man of Steel?
I honestly think this is all just a reaction to how Marvel have succesfully integrated all their own characters FAR better than DC have done, and it's just a desperate attempt by DC to pull it back.

Sad thing is though? As much as I thought Man Of Steel was a letdown, that along with the Dark Knight Trilogy for me anyway, was far better than Iron Man 2, Captain America, and I still don't see what the fuss about the Avengers was? It was a hugely expensive movie that just looked like a TV show at times, Joss Whedon is good with dialogue but frames his shots like a TV film. The battle of New York aside.

But back to the story, it's too soon to re-do Batman, and how will that even work in another Superhero's movie?

It's a total money grab. MoS was massively flawed for me, but I was looking forward to sequels where he tackled the likes of Luthor and Braniac. Those can still happen, I suppose, but you know everyone will be more interested in Batman than Superman going into this film.

Exactly. They are trying to out do Marvel and the Avengers, but at the same time to the detriment of their own newly re-booted Superman franchise. I'm a huge DC fan, but Marvel have completely blown them away with their planning of their own movies.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:04:04 am by Paul JH »
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 11:13:26 am »
By the way. WB are already going to come unstuck with this, as EVERY news outlet, BBC, Guardian, whatever, is already leading with  headlines like 'Superman v Batman in 2015!' with pictures of Henry Cavill and Christian Bale. It's already getting into the public conciousness that it's those two who are going to be in the movie.

I can see it now ... 'A new Batman? Where's Christian Bale?!' etc
 :-X
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 12:09:02 pm »
Got to agree with this. I'm the biggest Batman fan and yet I'm underwhelmed by this completely. Apart from thinking Man of Steel was a bit of a letdown, and I think a lot of that is down to Snyder, it's just too soon to re-boot the character of Batman AGAIN. Part of the reason I was utterly non-plussed (and still am) about the new Spiderman film was that I just couldn't be arsed with ANOTHER origin tale.

How do you re-do Batman, in another Superhero's movie? How do you re-tell the same character again, but while providing a sequel to Man of Steel?
I honestly think this is all just a reaction to how Marvel have succesfully integrated all their own characters FAR better than DC have done, and it's just a desperate attempt by DC to pull it back.

With you here.

I think this defeats the point of having Nolan involved with Man of Steel too. If Zack Snyder's now going to get to do his own interpretation of Batman, there was no need to make a Superman that could exist in Nolan's universe.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 12:30:25 pm »
How exactly do they make Superman/Batman work in the comics and what not? Batman is my favourite superhero - but compared to Superman he's pretty insignificant in terms of what he can do. I don't see why Superman would waste any time with him!!!

Their abilities compliment each other very very well. Batman has the Batcave which allows Superman to see villain infrastructure which he can't do from the Fortress. Batman is much smarter and stealth orientated which can also work for Superman if he's told what to do. He's got the X-Ray vision so he can see through walls and he's the quietest person in the world because his feet don't have to touch the floor. Batman does his thing and if there's a giant bruiser-esque enemy then Superman can take him on and leave the other guys for Batman.

.. Yeah Superman is basically Batman's backup but it works! ;D They've just started up a new Batman/Superman comic actually with only one or two issues out so find a download for it ;)

-

As for the movie, Man of Steel was an epic let down. I've called it "this year's Prometheus". If its the same creative team I have no hope whatsoever for the film.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 12:35:30 pm »
Will never be as awesome as this guy:

If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Online Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 12:35:50 pm »
I bet everyone just loves it when they tell you things.

"I'm getting married!"
"Shite. He'll cheat on you"

"I'm having a baby!"
"Shite. It's financially irresponsible"

"I'm cancer-free at last!"
"Shite. It'll come back"
Ok...

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 12:43:09 pm »

Batman has a plan, and the means to take down everyone in the DC universe if he has to.

You know those "who would win in a fight between...." conversations. Well, theres an implied rule that Batman + time to plan will defeat anyone.

As for this film, Ill paste my thoughts why it shouldnt be a Bale return, and should distance itself slightly from the Nolanverse Batman:

1: Bringing back Bale as Batman ruins everything TDKR was about. The film was about Bruce getting to the point where he no longer needed Batman, if anything that was the theme of the entire trilogy, from Rachel choosing Dent because she thought there wouldnt be a time he could give up the cape. Her death, and the events of the final film built to him finally letting go of Batman, if he then comes back, it all meant nothing. Also, Blake took over his stuff, so if we are going to go down the route of that universe is in the same as the Superman one, then surely Blake should be Batman?

2: This is a chance to show that the Nolanverse Batman and this Superman film arent the same universe. Hear me out. The Nolanverse is as close to real life as you can make a film about a man dressing as a bat. That worked well, very well, but I dont think you could then put him in the same universe as a godlike alien, and then a man who can run at light speed, then a demigod woman, then possibly add Aquilani, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter. It wouldnt work, you couldnt have Bale's Batman fighting alongside a green martian who can shape shift.

Its too much of a clash, Batman handled some bombs, a guy who used some chemical weapons, a maniac and a strong ass mercenary. You then introduce immortal alien villains, and suddenly that very real Batman doesnt look as powerful as a Justice League Batman should.

This should be a point to make a less realistic Batman. I know its hard, because at his core, Batman is just a man. But, in the DC universe he is the most badass motherfucker in a team that includes those nigh-invulnerable, super strong aliens. He can, and will take down everyone, even Superman if he has to. They have to make him being able to do that believable.

Also, they need to un-grit it a bit, because on a similar line, Flash, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern dont really work in that universe either.

Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Online Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 12:49:03 pm »
I just can't imagine Bale and Cavill teaming up. Bale will lose it and we'll have another Terminator Salvation incident.

Offline Cruicky

• Anny Roader
  • Moves like Agger
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 03:51:03 pm »
With it being a different Bat logo as well, all things point it to being a different Batman, which is probably the right thing.
I'm very aroused.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 03:52:53 pm »
I just can't imagine Bale and Cavill teaming up. Bale will lose it and we'll have another Terminator Salvation incident.

you don't need to imagine Bale's done and this Batman will fit in with the rest of the wider DC universe which Nolan's didn't. A  new Batman will be cast.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 04:15:45 pm »
It's Batman and Supes. They could hire Uwe Boll to direct and it'd still make upwards of $500 million.

We'll see. No doubt it will do well but the summer (and whole year) is overstuffed with movies; they will have to time it right (and make it decent) if they want to get the repeat viewings that make a box office success. Avengers will be the bench mark.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 06:02:38 pm »
We'll see. No doubt it will do well but the summer (and whole year) is overstuffed with movies; they will have to time it right (and make it decent) if they want to get the repeat viewings that make a box office success. Avengers will be the bench mark.

Yup, 2015 is going to be a crazy summer for blockbusters. Avengers 2, Jurassic Park 4, Star Wars Episode VII, Terminator 5, Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Independence Day 2.

But Superman v Batman is going to capture the imagination more than any IMO. Won't necessarily do the most business, but the two characters are truly iconic.
Personally I hope it remains, first and foremost, a Superman film. I don't think they'll be able to resist a full-blown Superman/Batman film though, and expect Bats to get the same amount of focus as Supes.

I'm hoping it's a smaller film than Man of Steel. Let the characters sell it. Batman, who is early in his career and still operating in the shadows, comes to Metropolis to investigate Superman. Maybe gets help from Lex Luthor, who is beloved by the people of the city. Sees Luthor as a kindred spirit, a billionaire who wants the best for his city. And obviously, as the story goes on, Batman discovers that it's Luthor who is the villain and he and Supes team up to stop whatever dastardly plot Luthor has come up with. Need a fight between Superman and Batman, so kryptonite will have to make an appearance. Maybe have someone like Metallo as Lex's muscle, but I don't think we need any Batman villains. Save that for his solo film, which I'd guess will happen in 2018.

As for how to portray Batman, I hope they go a bit more comic-booky than Nolan. Wouldn't mind them using the Arkham universe Batman as inspiration.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2013, 07:35:12 pm »
That Batman/Superman logo looks awful. I'll be expecting to see some POW'S! and ZOK'S! when he throws a punch now.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2013, 08:20:23 pm »
I still don't see what the fuss about the Avengers was? It was a hugely expensive movie that just looked like a TV show at times, Joss Whedon is good with dialogue but frames his shots like a TV film. The battle of New York aside.

Avengers was great mate. I'm hugely impressed by Marvel's work of late.

As for this, I haven't even bothered watching MoS yet. Hope they don't ruin Batman.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2013, 10:23:31 pm »
Barefoot Doc is spot on about using the Arkham games as a marker. It's darker, and gritty, so it will still fit in with the grim style of MoS, but, it's still very comic based. With more outrageous and less realistic villains and situations. Would be very interesting if they followed that sort of model, think it would work well.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2013, 10:30:05 pm »
Agree with that Arkham shout. Would be perfect.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 10:46:01 pm »
Safer choice than JL I suppose, shame if it's just the same team who did MoS though. Who knows, maybe they'll bring some other people in to address the weaknesses in MoS.

Not sure if Joss Whedon will want to help out the competition.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 11:17:06 pm »
This is all to prop up super twat.

Batman works on film, super twat doesn't, Hollywood logic, fix the problem by including Batman in a super twat film.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2013, 11:34:25 pm »

Was waiting for your take on it mate, and basically agree with you. Far too soon for a Batman reboot, and to be honest Im yet to watch Man Of Steel, but dont really want to :/
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline vNauuuM

• Kopite
    • Rambo IPTV
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 01:00:05 am »
I physically cannot wait, loved MoS! The batman part may be shit as Christian Bale is not playing the part! :(
Twitter: Nauman_Choudry

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2013, 01:42:34 am »
I physically cannot wait, loved MoS! The batman part may be shit as Christian Bale is not playing the part! :(

Is it okay for me to ask what this means, as I'm really curious?

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2013, 01:52:54 am »
Agree that they have to make this Batman a bit more 'cartoony'. Nolan's Batman wouldn't compete with Snyder's Superman.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds