Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 816974 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #4880 on: September 10, 2012, 01:55:21 pm »
He really did cover a lot of ground didn't he?!
:lmao

fuck off mate :D

It was the late Gary Ablett who provided the cross. my bad
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4881 on: September 10, 2012, 02:18:06 pm »
Today In History
September 10th
1983 Arsenal (Division One) Highbury 2-0
Craig Johnston 17' Kenny Dalglish 67'
Att 47,896

Under Joe Fagan little changed cos we just kept on winning, the more things changed the more it stayed the same. Craig Johnston opened the scoring after Pat Jennings spilt an effort from Michael Robinson. Robinson was again involved when he played a big part in Liverpool's 2nd, Kriss has already word for word described the excellent commentary from John Motson. If Liverpool want to go back to pass and move or tika taka then look at this goal. A simple ball from Hansen to Rush, switched for Sammy Lee on the opposite side, a quick one two with Dalglish and Lee releases Robinson on the right hand side, a back heel from him towards Dalglish is dummied by the latter and he retrieves the ball before smashing it with his left foot into the top corner with unstoppable power and accuracy.

thats how its done. We were 4 points behind West Ham in 4th having drawn 2 and won 3 of our 5 games. 

1988 Aston Villa (Division One) Villa Park 1-1
Ray Houghton 64'
Att 41,409

Liverpool for the only time that season wore their 3rd strip of White Shirts, red shorts and red socks, It was Villa who took the lead though thanks to a stunning volley from Alan McInally. In the second half Alan Evans came close to making it 2 but his header was cleared off the line by Barry Venison. There was some confusion about our equalizer as Ronnie Whelan and Gordon Cowans competed for a ball 30 yards from goal, a free kick was awarded and Liverpool took it so fast the camera could only barely catch Ray Houghton chipping Nigel Spink to make it 1-1. Here is some info from an excellent website regarding our kit that day http://www.liverpoolkits.com/liverpool1988tp.html

1994 Westham United (Premier League) Anfield 0-0
Att 30,907

considering we won our opening 3 games this was a very disappointing result against West Ham for whom Tony Cottee was sent off but it ended goalless.

2005 Tottenham Hotspur (Premier League) White Hart Lane 0-0
Att 36,148

It was a match which saw Peter Crouch finally make his league debut, Im pretty sure he had a goal disallowed while John Arne Riise was denied what surely would have been goal of the season with a volley that crashed off the crossbar, we had played only 3 matches while others ahead of played 5, one of them teams on 5 was Chelsea and they were already 10 points ahead of us at the top with Liverpool having two games in hand lying 10th

2011 Stoke City (Premier League ) Britannia Stadium 0-1
Att 27,592

Its our first league defeat of the season after 4 games but it is very controversial, Stoke win the match through a Jonathan Walters penalty when it appears as if he may have in fact barged into Jamie Carragher. Liverpool themselves are denied anything up to 3 penalties, a blatant handball from Rory Delap goes unnoticed, Martin Skrtel has a chance when his shot goes over but replays show a Stoke player creaming him in the aftermath while Luis Suarez is absolutely furious when Matthew Upson slides the ball out of play and in doing so the ball accidentally strikes his arm, Suarez is livid although this may be building up from earlier decisions.

There was also one mad chance when Jordan Henderson found himself clean through but after being denied by the keeper he was then denied again before a series of saves and blocks involving Stewart Downing and Charlie Adam showed it wasnt our day, even more so when in the final minute Luis Suarez missed an open goal. After the match Kenny Dalglish scolded officials claiming he may have toughen up his views on them if it meant that we were going to be ripped off constantly. amazingly Liverpool were again denied 3 penalties against Stoke in the return match at Anfield in January.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:20:04 pm by HELLRAZOR »

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4882 on: September 10, 2012, 11:27:34 pm »
September 10th 1983: Although the Reds were now 5 matches unbeaten, this was the 1st game they scored twice in that season. Kenny Dalglish scored a brilliantly worked 2nd half goal to seal the points.

1988: This was  tremendous game which rightly ended with both teams getting reward for their efforts. Alan McInally and Ian Rush both had 1st half goals chalked off before the big Scot hit a powerful drive to give Villa a 41st minute lead. Ray Houghton levelled with a delightful chip after a quickly taken free kick. Both goalkeepers were kept busy as both teams sought a winner. Ian Rush was very unlucky when his 85th minute header thudded back off the bar, but a draw was right.

1994: The goalfest dried up as Liverpool failed to find a way through at Anfield. John Scales and Phil Babb both made their debuts, and it was Scales who prevented the Reds from going behind in the 1st half when he made a superb tackle to prevent Tony Cottee a clear run at goal. Cottee was sent off 2nd half, but Liverpool never really looked like breaking the deadlock.

2005: Not a bad result at Tottenham. The Reds were unbeaten after 3 League games, but were finding goals hard to come by with a free kick against Sunderland being their only strike. They hadn't conceded though.

2011: The Mark Clattenburg show at Stoke. He denies Liverpool a blatant penalty for handball on 19 minutes, yet deems an innoccuous challenge by Jamie Carragher 2 minutes later as being a penalty for Stoke. The Reds have a much more debatable penalty claim for hanball denied 2nd half, but missed chances are the main raeson for the defeat. This best summed up by Luis Suarez firing wide of a gaping goal in stoppage time.

Kenny Dalglish threatens to make a complaint about referees treatment of Liverpool in the early part of the season afterwards. "We support the respect campaign, but respect is a 2 way thing, and if we don't feel Liverpool Football Club are getting the respect we deserve from officials then I might have to ask the owners to take action" is roughly what he said. Dalglish has a meeting with Mike Riley a few days later, but it turns out to be to no avail.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4883 on: September 10, 2012, 11:53:56 pm »
As this thread started by Rafa_La completes a full twelve months and a staggering 120+ pages, I cannot let that pass without comment.

I know I have monopolised this thread. That did bother me initially, until I realised that my contributions were just the sort of thing that Max (Rafa_La) was looking for. I also realised that we all have a responsibility to pass on the great history of our club to others. I am lucky. In over forty years of being an active supporter, I have seen things that supporters of other clubs can only dream about. But I am still learning (every day) about the club’s rich history. If I don’t learn something new every day, I am disappointed. I have a good memory and a fascination with facts and figures. If that fascination has irritated others at times, then I apologise. I have tried to make my posts both informative and interesting, adding goal-clips when I can find them to support my text. Rafa-La’s vision enabled me to go on a wonderfully nostalgic journey through those forty years … the places I have been to, the people I have met, the things I have seen. I wouldn’t change a second of any of it, even if I accept that it has not been totally healthy to have an obsession that has dominated much of my childhood and all my adult life. As I get closer to my 60th birthday in November, I am closing in on a milestone that will mean much to me … my 1000th live Liverpool match (I am currently on 978); and all being well, I will attend my 100th Liverpool match in European competition (82 home, 14 away, 4 neutral) when Anzhi come to Anfield at the end of October.

So I thank Rafa-La in particular for his encouragement and I have also appreciated the kind, positive comments of posters like ALANM, HELLRAZOR, Crosby Nick and a few others. I tried to get involved in Rafa_La’s idea and I hope it worked. The word-document I created to prepare my daily postings finishes these twelve months at over FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY PAGES long!  It might not mean a lot to anyone else but having that to look back on will mean a hell of a lot to me.

My sincere thanks to anyone who read and enjoyed what I had to say. If only one person enjoyed it, it was still worth doing.

Take care, everyone.

Chris

And so the wheel has turned full circle. Short of reviewing last season's action, there is no more to say. On the day that Britain's Olympians paraded round London with their medals, it's time to dish out the RAWK gongs:

Rafa_La: The man whose brainwave it was to begin this thread. The man who every night has dragged up the stats for the past 366 days.  Gold medal.

Kriss: This man really is a legend. All the research he has done into games, players signed, sold etc has been incredible. He may have 'hogged' the thread at times, but what knowledge! How much time must he have spent storing up his reports? His accounts of trips to remote corners of Europe to watch pre-season games have been a joy to read. Gold medal.

Hellrazor: Doesn't get to as many games as he'd obviously like to, but again has terrific knowledge. Has he ever watched a match on TV where he hasn't been pissed? Some terrific stories of life in Ireland as a Reds fan, and also enjoyed his stories of the 1990 World Cup when his native Ireland got to the last 8. Gold medal.

There are many other contributors who have played a major part in making this thread a resounding success. Crosby Nick is probably the best example. As for myself, well most of my contributions have been my own personal memories of matches since I 1st walked through an Anfield turnstile back in 1981. I have added other contributions on players signed from time to time, and other comments on an ad hoc basis. I've been watching the Reds 31 years, 26 with a Kop ST. I also used to do away games on a fairly regular basis in the period 85/92, but have probably only done a handful since then. I have been to many Cup Finals though both at Wembley, and in Cardiff. I have also been fortunate enough to attend the 2001 UEFA Cup Final in Dortmund, and a Champions League Final on that never to be forgotten night in Istanbul. I won't be the only fan for who that night remains my greatest memory. It's for others to decide if they've enjoyed my contribution, but I've enjoyed every minute I've spent typing them in (even on the odd occassion I've lost them with email crashing!!! Know what I mean HR?).

We often get accused of living in the past. Who can blame us though when we have such a glorious past? Here's to those glories returning in the not too distant future.

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #4884 on: September 11, 2012, 12:12:21 am »
Today In History
September 11th

1897 Preston North End (Division One) Anfield 0-0
Att 20,000

1905 Aston Villa (Division One) Villa Park 0-5
Att 15,000

1909 Blackburn Rovers (Division One) Anfield 3-1
John McDonald James Stewart John Parkinson 75'
Att 25,000

1915 Manchester City (Lancashire Section Principal Tournament) Anfield 0-1
Att 15,000

1920 Oldham Athletic (Division One) Anfield 5-2
John Bamber Harry Chambers Dick Johnson (2) Jackie Sheldon
Att 3,000

1926 Sheffield United (Division One) Anfield 5-1
Gordon Hodgson 21' 55' 61' Dick Johnson 37' 49'(Pen)
Att 33,058

1935 Manchester City (Division One) Maine Road 0-6
Att 32,913

1937 Preston North End (Division One) Deepdale 1-4
Berry Nieuwenhuys 1'
Att 22,370

1943 Wrexham (Football League Northern Section)Anfield 8-0
Jack Balmer 6' Alf Hanson 21' Arthur Shepherd (6)
Att 10,000

1946 Manchester United (Division One) Maine Road 0-5*
Att 40,874
*Played at Maine Road because of bomb damage to Old Trafford*

1948 Bolton Wanderers (Division One) Anfield 0-1
Att 56,561

1954 Blackburn Rovers (Division Two) Ewood Park 3-4
John Evans 5' 25' Billy Liddell 87'
Att 29,200

1965 Fulham (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Chris Lawler 6' Roger Hunt 60'
Att 46,382

1971 Southampton (Division One) Anfield 1-0
John Toshack 32'
Att 45,878

1976 Derby County (Division One) Baseball Ground 3-2
Ray Kennedy 6' John Toshack 54' Kevin Keegan 80'
Att 26,833

1982 Luton Town (Division One) Anfield 3-3
Graeme Souness 32' Ian Rush 44' Craig Johnston 75'
Att 33,694

1999 Manchester United (Premier League) Anfield 2-3
Sami Hyypia 23' Patrik Berger 68'
Att 44,929

2001 Boavista (Champions League 1st group phrase match 1) Anfield 1-1
Michael Owen 29'
Att 30,015

2002 Birmingham City (Premier League )Anfield 2-2
Danny Murphy 25' Steven Gerrard 49'
Att 43,113

2004 Westbromwich Albion (Premier League) Anfield 3-0
Steven Gerrard 16' Steve Finnan 42' Luis Garcia 60'
Att 42,947

Transfers IN

Lance Carr (1933)
Berry Nieuwenhuys (1933)

DEBUT GAMES

Patrick Finnerhan (1897)
Jimmy Payne (1948)

DEBUT GOALS

John McDonald (1909)
James Stewart (1909)
Dick Johnson (1920)
Sami Hyypia (1999)
Steve Finnan ( 2004)
Luis Garcia (2004)

Born On This Day

Andrea Dossena (1981)

*Dedicated to the lives of the victims of the 9/11 terrorist attack on the USA on this day in

2001*

RIP
YNWA

Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4885 on: September 11, 2012, 10:38:52 am »
Today In History
September 11th
1982 Luton Town (Division One) Anfield 3-3
Graeme Souness 32' Ian Rush 44' Craig Johnston 75'
Att 33,694

This was featured on ESPN a couple of years back. Lutons front line of Brian Stein and Paul Walsh caused us all sorts of bother, full credit to Luton who just wouldnt fold their tent despite coming up against us at Anfield and doing so with all sorts of problems. Luton took the lead through Stein but a stunning volley from captain Graeme Souness drew us level with the ball crashing in off the post past goalkeeper Jake Findlay. Just before half time Souness was involved again as his perfectly weighted pass allowed Ian Rush to round goalkeeper Kirk Stephens and make it 2-1.

Luton refused to roll over though and shortly into the second half Stein lobbed Grobbelaar for 2-2 and they took the lead once more when David Moss gave them a surprise 3-2 lead down at the Kop End. With 15 minutes left substitute Craig Johnston made it 3-3 when he scored past Luton keeper Mal Donaghy.

Hang on, wait a second, whats going on here?

Findlay was in goal? then Stephens ? then Donaghy............. yep thats right, this was in the days before the bench had 7 players, or even 2. Back then there was just one sub on the bench and it was always an outfield player, so with the score at 1-1 Luton were forced to rejig when Findlay picked up an injury so with no keeper on the bench Kirk Stephens had to go in goal. Stephens was then beaten by Ian Rush, but to be fair there wasnt much he could do.

For some reason when Luton emerged for the second half, Mal Donaghy was then in goal, with Luton using their one sub to replace their injured keeper, it meant Stephens resumed his normal role and Donaghy took over the nets. He was beaten by Craig Johnstone, remarkably so it meant all 3 Liverpool goals were against 3 different goalkeepers.

1999 Manchester United (Premier League) Anfield 2-3
Sami Hyypia 23' Patrik Berger 68'
Att 44,929

Our early season form was somewhat of a mixed bag, defeats to the likes of Watford and Middlesboro were followed by wins over Leeds and Arsenal. At the back things got off to a wretched start when Jamie Carragher twice put through his own net. We managed to get our way back into it when Sami Hyypia headed home after United's debutant keeper Massimo Taibi completely missed a cross, Taibi would go down as one of the worst keepers in United's history, this just after United made him the most expensive keeper in Britain. This goal meanwhile was Hyypia's first goal for the club.

Just before half time Andy Cole made it 1-3 and it was going to be an uphill task, Cole was then subsequently sent off for an altercation with Rigobert Song and with numbers in our favour we set up a tense finale when Patrik Berger pulled a goal back. That unfortunately was where the scoring ended. Late on Michael Owen narrowly failed to draw us level, the picture of the Kopites with heads in their hands is pretty famous. It is linked here http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/11/article-1219274-06C39C4C000005DC-762_306x206_popup.jpg

2001 Boavista (Champions League 1st group phrase match 1) Anfield 1-1
Michael Owen 29'
Att 30,015

It should have been a pretty good night considering it was our first proper game in the European cup at Anfield since 1985 but unfortunately the mood was dampened somewhat by tragic events across the water in America when terrorists hijacked 2 planes and crashed them into each of the twin towers of New York causing thousands of fatalities, it didnt stop there as another hijacked plane then struck the Pentagon in Virginia, whilst a fourth plane was hijacked and diverted toward Washington. The passengers on board began to realize what was going on and attempted to retake control of the plane causing the terrorists to crash it into the ground in Pennsylvania before it could reach its rumoured attempted target of the United States Capitol. Although all onboard were killed as it crashed into a field, many more could have been killed were it not for the brave passengers as if it did strike its target more would have died.

it was an event which rocked the world to its core and explains why only 30000 made the trip to Anfield, perhaps it was too late to call the game off so it went ahead. boavista took the lead after just 2 minutes through Silva but before half time Michael Owen drew us level and thats the way it ended on a pretty sombre night when football didnt matter.

2002 Birmingham City (Premier League )Anfield 2-2
Danny Murphy 25' Steven Gerrard 49'
Att 43,113

For the second game in a row we threw away a two goal lead at Anfield, this time against newly promoted Birmingham. Danny Murphy gave us the lead with a stunning free kick before Steven Gerrard seemingly sealed the points early in the second half but two goals from Birmingham's Clinton Morrison meant we had to share the points. It was our 3rd consecutive 2-2 draw.

2004 Westbromwich Albion (Premier League) Anfield 3-0
Steven Gerrard 16' Steve Finnan 42' Luis Garcia 60'
Att 42,947

I was pretty sure Steve Finnan scored the opener in this game. I spent the day playing for my saturday side as we lost 4-2 having initially come from 2 goals down, i didnt play great as a result of a long standing groin problem while i was at fault for the first goal when attempting to head it clear the ball somehow was misdirected landing perfectly for their striker. We were all in a foul mood after but atleast this result lifted my mood. the crowd absolutely loved Luis Garcia on his home debut.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4886 on: September 11, 2012, 10:39:22 am »
Hellrazor: Doesn't get to as many games as he'd obviously like to, but again has terrific knowledge. Has he ever watched a match on TV where he hasn't been pissed? Some terrific stories of life in Ireland as a Reds fan, and also enjoyed his stories of the 1990 World Cup when his native Ireland got to the last 8. Gold medal.
:lmao

love it mate hahaa

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4887 on: September 11, 2012, 10:54:30 am »
I reckon I'd have earned a medal had I not dropped out. :(

I was at that United game although we arrived late for one of the only times I can remember due to bad traffic. It was a good game and our new look team played well but were let down from bad defending from set pieces. Sami's arrival would sort that out in the long term but we still had some problems back then (Henchoz was injured when he signed and hadn't played for us at this point).

Berger scored a very nicely taken goal from a good ball from Matteo who was playing at left back. Smicer came on late on and caused some problems and we definitely should have equalised but it wasn't to be. I went out in Manchester for a friend's birthday that night too. Not ideal!

The following day my cricket team won our Cup Final and we went for a celebratory curry in Liverpool. Funny how these memories get brought up by football matches!

HELLRAZOR - interesting stat about the Luton goalkeepers, never kne that (and yes, I was going to pick you up on that error at first!).

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4888 on: September 11, 2012, 11:06:54 am »
HELLRAZOR - interesting stat about the Luton goalkeepers, never kne that (and yes, I was going to pick you up on that error at first!).
its an odd one alright. Wonder has that ever happened before where 3 keepers were scored on, i know at times we used 3 keepers in pre season matches, I dont know if this has happened competitively where 3 different keepers were all beaten atleast once

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4889 on: September 11, 2012, 11:57:49 am »
its an odd one alright. Wonder has that ever happened before where 3 keepers were scored on, i know at times we used 3 keepers in pre season matches, I dont know if this has happened competitively where 3 different keepers were all beaten atleast once

Something about West Ham and Newcastle rings a bell. Beardsley ended up in goal. It may have been that Cottee and Macavenie both scored hat tricks...some strangle little statistic anyway. I'm off to a meeting if anyone wants to google that one for me!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4890 on: September 11, 2012, 12:17:53 pm »
Something about West Ham and Newcastle rings a bell. Beardsley ended up in goal. It may have been that Cottee and Macavenie both scored hat tricks...some strangle little statistic anyway. I'm off to a meeting if anyone wants to google that one for me!
yeah i read that one before, think Newcastle lost about 8-1

Online kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4891 on: September 11, 2012, 12:25:41 pm »

Job done! Liverpool-born Alvin Martin scored a hat-trick in West Ham's 8-1 home win over Newcastle United in April, 1986. His goals came against Martin Thomas, Chris Hedworth and Peter Beardsley. West Ham's other five goals came from Ray Stewart, Neil Orr, Paul Goddard, Frank McAvennie and a Glenn Roeder own-goal.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4892 on: September 11, 2012, 12:30:44 pm »
Job done! Liverpool-born Alvin Martin scored a hat-trick in West Ham's 8-1 home win over Newcastle United in April, 1986. His goals came against Martin Thomas, Chris Hedworth and Peter Beardsley. West Ham's other five goals came from Ray Stewart, Neil Orr, Paul Goddard, Frank McAvennie and a Glenn Roeder own-goal.
brilliant as ever

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #4893 on: September 12, 2012, 12:08:59 am »
Today In History
September 12th

1896 Derby County (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Jimmy Methvean (OG)25' Harry Bradshaw 44'
Att 16,000

1903 The Wednesday (Division One) Anfield 1-3
Jack Cox 20'
Att 18,000

1908 Blackburn Rovers (Division One) Ewood Park 0-1
Att 25,000

1914 Sunderland (Division One) Roker Park 2-2
Jackie Sheldon 7' (Pen) Arthur Metcalf 75'
Att 14,000

1925 Arsenal (Division One) Highbury 1-1
Jimmy Walsh 25'
Att 32,553

1931 Leicester City (Division One) Filbert Street 1-2
Joe Gunson
Att 12,682

1936 Grimsby Town (Division One) Anfield 7-1
Berry Nieuwenhuys 21' Fred Howe 23' 44' Vic Wright 60' 63' Jack Balmer 61' Matt Busby 77'
Att 20,972

1942 Everton(Football League Northern Section) Anfield 2-1
Billy Liddell 41' Les Shannon 85'
Att 25,446

1951 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 0-0
Att 39,853

1953 Tottenham Hotspur (Division One) White Hart Lane 1-2
Bill Jones 58'
Att 45,000

1959 Middlesbrough (Division Two) Anfield 1-2
Billy Liddell 7'
Att 39,000

1962 Westham United (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Ian St John 39' 86'
Att 39,261

1964 Sheffield Wednesday (Division One) Hillsborough 0-1
Att 22,701

1970 Newcastle United (Division One) St James Park 0-0
Att 35,501

1972 Eintracht Frankfurt (UEFA Cup 1st round 1st leg) Anfield 2-0
Kevin Keegan 12' Emlyn Hughes 75'
Att 33,380

1973 Derby County (Division One) Baseball Ground 1-3
Phil Boersma 26'
Att 32,867

1981 Ipswich Town (Division One) Portman Road 0-2
Att 26,703

1987 Oxford United (Division One) Anfield 2-0
John Aldridge 13' John Barnes 37'
Att 42,266

1989 Crystal Palace (Division One)Anfield 9-0
Steve Nicol 7' 90' Steve McMahon 15' Ian Rush 45' Gary Gillespie 56' Peter Beardsley 61' John

Aldridge 67'(Pen) John Barnes 79' Glenn Hysen 82'
Att 35,779

1992 Sheffield United (Premier League) Bramall Lane 0-1
Att 20,632

1993 Blackburn Rovers (Premier League) Anfield 0-1
Att 37,355

1995 Spartak Vladikavkaz(UEFA Cup 1st round 1st leg) Spartak Stadium 2-1
Steve McManaman 32' Jamie Redknapp 52'
Attt 33,500

1996 Mypa 47 (Cup Winners Cup 1st round 1st leg) Savinlemi 1-0
Stig Inge Bjornebye 61'
Att 4,767

1998 Westham United (Premier League) Upton Park 1-2
KarlHeinz Riedle 87'
Att 26,029

2006 PSV Eindhoven (Champions League 1st group phrase match 1)Philips Stadion 0-0
Att 35,000

2009 Burnley (Premier League) Anfield 4-0
Yossi Benayoun 27' 61' 82' Dirk Kuyt 41'
Att 43,817

2010 Birmingham City (Premier League) St Andrews 0-0
Att 27,333

TRANSFERS IN

Albert Stubbins (1946)
Steve McMahon (1985)

DEBUT GAMES

Paul Konshesky (2010)
Raul Meireles (2010)

DEBUT GOALS

John Barnes (1987)
Glen Hysen (1989)

Born On This Day

Duncan McLean (1869)
Steve Ogrizovic ( 1957 )
David Thompson ( 1977 )
Richie Partridge ( 1980 )
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4894 on: September 12, 2012, 12:12:31 am »
Hopefully the start of the real truth and justice will be on this day in our history.

JFT96
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:14:18 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4895 on: September 12, 2012, 12:46:50 am »
Today In History
September 12th

TRANSFERS IN

Albert Stubbins (1946)

Centre-forward Albert was one of Liverpool's most popular players in the period immediately following the end of the Second World War. Already vastly experienced and a prolific marksman when signed from Newcastle United in September 1946 at the age of 27, he scored on his debut at Bolton and only missed two more League fixtures for the rest of the season, which ended with him winning a League championship medal and being equal top-scorer at the club with Jack Balmer (24 goals each). Albert also scored four times (including a memorable hat-trick against Birmingham City) during Liverpool's run to the F.A. cup semi-final that season. He again scored 24 League goals in 1947-48, which included four (two in each half) when Huddersfield Town visited Anfield on 6th March 1948. Stubbins then became embroiled in a contractual dispute with his employers in 1948-49 over his desire to return to his native North-East, or at least train there. But the club insisted that he continued to live on Merseyside and partly because of this dispute and partly because of injury-problems, Albert didn't play for Liverpool's first-team as much in that season (only 18 first-team appearances). Ever the professional, he didn't let his personal feelings affect his commitment to the club that was paying his wages and he again reached double-figures in the League in 1949-50 despite missing 14 First Division matches and was also a member of the team defeated by Arsenal in the 1950 F.A. cup final. By now in his early-30's, Albert's name was less frequently on Liverpool's team-sheet and the last of the 178 first-team appearances he made for the club came at Stoke on 3rd January 1953. He had kept up his record of scoring a goal almost every other game and finished his playing days on Merseyside with an impressive total of 83 in League and cup.

Online kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4896 on: September 12, 2012, 01:02:33 am »
Today In History
September 12th

Steve Nicol 7' 90' Steve McMahon 15' Ian Rush 45' Gary Gillespie 56' Peter Beardsley 61' John

Att 35,779

Can't resist putting this up :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUkDDmzgh-I

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4897 on: September 16, 2012, 11:39:02 am »
On this day in 1997:

Celtic 2 Liverpool 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQN_5U6ojso

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4898 on: September 18, 2012, 03:43:47 pm »
Lets get this thread up and running again.

In History
September 12th

1987 Oxford United (Division One) Anfield 2-0
John Aldridge 13' John Barnes 37'
Att 42,266

Although it is our 4th league match of the season it is our first home game, as a result of a collapsed sewer under the KOP we played our first 3 games away from home. A rumoured 3000 fans were locked out of this game as a result of our home crowd piling in dying to get a glimpse of a new look team. John Aldridge scored for the 4th league match in a row against his former club while John Barnes scored the first of over 100 goals for his new team following his arrival from Watford. A few months later Liverpool would sign Oxford midfielder Ray Houghton.

Att 35,779

Again following 3 consecutive away matches our fans are dying to see us again, although we did already have a home game earlier that season which we won against newly promoted Manchester City, another newly promoted team awaited us and they were given a royal whipping. Steve Nicol opened the scoring early on with a lovely curling effort beyond Palace keeper Perry Suckling. Things may have been different had Palace scored just after and they could easily have done so when Jeff Thomas hit the post from a free kick. With 15 minutes gone things got even worse for Palace when Steve McMahon superbly chipped Suckling to make it 2-0, Palace to their credit then went half an hour without conceding any but Ian Rush made sure of the points on half time with his second in two games.

In the second half it was just one way stuff, 10 minutes in John Barnes flicked on a corner and Gary Gillespie headed in the fourth. Peter Beardsley then weighed in, having tormented Palace all night, Beardsley was quick to react to a quickly taken free kick by Ronnie Whelan and his one-two with Rush allowed him to drive home Liverpool's fifth. Whelan was then involved in the next goal when he was brought down for a penalty, with Liverpool 5 up they could afford to be slightly sentimental, substitute John Aldridge was called from the bench, prior to the game it was announced Aldridge would join Spanish side Real Soceidad for 1.1m but with this being his last game he had to be called upon. Commentator Martin Tyler can tell this better
"Liverpool usually more content with success then sentiment are sending Aldridge on *crowd noise getting noticeably higher* Beardsley had almost volunteered to go off. Barnes has already assumed responsibility for the spot kick, *Barnes at this point steps aside* but Barnes says on you go, *by now the crowd is losing it*, so Aldridge, what an entrance this would be if he puts this away  HE HAS DONE AND IT’S THE BIGGEST CHEER OF THE NIGHT"

Indeed it was a fitting farewell for Aldo. However almost immediately Glen Hysen fouled Alan Pardew to give Palace a spot kick, but to some up their night, captain Jeff Thomas skied his penalty over the bar and it remained 6-0. Barnes meanwhile was having his weekly field day, the England winger curled home a superb seventh just over 10 minutes from time with a stunning free kick and three minutes later it was a Barnes corner which allowed Glen Hysen to head home his first for the club. With the score 8-0 nobody was betting against double figures, with second left on the clock, Steve Nicol scored his second to make it 9 but 10 proved a bridge too far. It was however nothing other than a crushing victory and with no fewer than 8 goalscorers on target it was a fine way to go top of the league. As for Aldridge he famously threw his boots and shirt into the crowd to wave an emotional goodbye to his beloved KOP. 

1992 Sheffield United (Premier League) Bramall Lane 0-1
Att 20,632

3 years later it was a much changed Liverpool as the reds were just a clumsy shadow of themselves, the game was won when Adrian Littlejohn headed home in the first half to give the Blades all 3 points.

1993 Blackburn Rovers (Premier League) Anfield 0-1
Att 37,355

Blackburn under Kenny Dalglish visited Anfield early in the season and took the lead thanks to a brilliant volley from Mike Newell, Newell spent the game then avoiding two footed missiles and left hooks from Neil Ruddock who was seemingly on a mission to decapitate the other team. Blackburn deserved their win as our only chance from Ronnie Rosenthal went high into the KOP while Grobbelaar did well to tip a Jason Wilcox shot on to the underside of the bar before reacting somehow to claw away Mike Newell's rebound. 0-1 it ended.

1995 Spartak Vladikavkaz(UEFA Cup 1st round 1st leg) Spartak Stadium 2-1
Steve McManaman 32' Jamie Redknapp 52'
Attt 33,500

After two years out of Europe Liverpool made a welcome return against Russian side Spartak Vladikavkaz, the Russian took the lead through a Danichev free kick which David James spilled into the roof of the net although it certainly appeared as though Mark Wright had won the ball cleanly. Liverpool still managed to overturn it, Steve McManaman scored from a tight angle while Jamie Redknapp struck home a stunning 35 yard shot into the top corner to give us a 2-1 lead.

1996 Mypa 47 (Cup Winners Cup 1st round 1st leg) Savinlemi 1-0
Stig Inge Bjornebye 61'
Att 4,767

I cant even remember where this lot where from, Finland maybe? But the inform Stig Bjornebye scored the games only goal with a crisply hit volley.

1998 Westham United (Premier League) Upton Park 1-2
KarlHeinz Riedle 87'
Att 26,029

Although Karl Heinz Riedle scores late on it is not enough to prevent our second consecutive 2-1 defeat at Upton Park, a result which removed us from the top of the table, a spot we never looked like regaining.

2006 PSV Eindhoven (Champions League 1st group phrase match 1)Philips Stadion 0-0
Att 35,000

Both sides came close to winning this, Aruna Kone Rattled the bar for them early on before in the dying seconds a dipping Steven Gerrard volley hit the inside of the post.

2009 Burnley (Premier League) Anfield 4-0
Yossi Benayoun 27' 61' 82' Dirk Kuyt 41'
Att 43,817

I remember being at a wedding that day and when I was reading scores to some guests (quietly) the looks I got off two piss soaked owl ones were unreal, Id have loved to have seen their reaction that night when the best man made an absolute tit of himself in the speeches. On the field a Yossi Benayoun hattrick and a Dirk Kuyt effort easily saw off newly promoted Burnley leaving us handily placed among the leagues early pace setters.

2010 Birmingham City (Premier League) St Andrews 0-0
Att 27,333

A year later things had changed drastically, talk of whether we would win the Premiership had changed to whether or not we could survive as a whole club, Rafa Benitez had been replaced by Roy Hodgson and Paul Konchesky was making his debut, as was Raul Meireles although to be fait he wasn’t too bad, the game ended 0-0 thanks in no small part to the efforts of Pepe Reina.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4899 on: September 18, 2012, 04:16:23 pm »
just realized thats the year.

its been emotional!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4900 on: September 18, 2012, 04:23:44 pm »
A bit late to these. That Sheffield United one was an odd quirk of the fixture list. We'd already played them at home in August (Paul Stewart scoring on his home debut - I knew he's be great for us).

The Blackburn defeat the following year was a sign of their credentials. I think Ruddock may have been/should have been sent off for an awful tackle in that game?

Vladikavkaz was a proper old school European tie. Middle of nowhere, early kick off, BBC2 coverage I think. We fell a goal behind and then scored two good goals, Redknapp smashed one in from miles out and Mcmanaman scored from viryally the bye-line. Don't think I've seen the goals since if anyone can dig them out?

2006 - none of you will remember this one but my viewing of the game was interrupted by the appearance of the biggest, nastiest looking spider I've ever seen in the UK. Spent ost of the second half keeping an eye on that! I think Dirk came off the bench late on and hit the post. Thank Goodness those days of struggling for goals early season and hitting the woodwork are long consigned to the past.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4901 on: September 18, 2012, 05:08:01 pm »
The Blackburn defeat the following year was a sign of their credentials. I think Ruddock may have been/should have been sent off for an awful tackle in that game?

I remember coming out of the toilet and seeing him being held back by a few players as he punched Newell, few minutes later he got a poor touch, and as Newell came in to steal it Ruddock two footed him.

He also creamed Kevin Gallacher

fella lost the plot that day, mind you at the time i thought it was great

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4902 on: September 18, 2012, 05:09:32 pm »
oh speaking of Ruddock I meant to include that Vladikavkaz game,

on the way back apparently Robbie Fowler had a pair of his underpants cut up or something, so he responded by cutting up a very expensive pair of Ruddocks shoes. After apparently not apologizing for this Ruddock gave Fowler a few digs on the run way infront of the press and Roy evans.

http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3047
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:14:49 pm by HELLRAZOR »

Online kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4903 on: September 18, 2012, 05:12:50 pm »
A bit late to these. That Sheffield United one was an odd quirk of the fixture list. We'd already played them at home in August (Paul Stewart scoring on his home debut - I knew he's be great for us).

Vladikavkaz was a proper old school European tie. Middle of nowhere, early kick off, BBC2 coverage I think. We fell a goal behind and then scored two good goals, Redknapp smashed one in from miles out and Mcmanaman scored from viryally the bye-line. Don't think I've seen the goals since if anyone can dig them out?

2006 - none of you will remember this one but my viewing of the game was interrupted by the appearance of the biggest, nastiest looking spider I've ever seen in the UK. Spent ost of the second half keeping an eye on that! I think Dirk came off the bench late on and hit the post. Thank Goodness those days of struggling for goals early season and hitting the woodwork are long consigned to the past.

Here are the goals from Vladikavkaz, Nick :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yECzHnO9F0k

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:28:51 pm by kriss »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4904 on: September 20, 2012, 10:16:53 am »
Pretty much all we can go now is 2011

Regrettably its not good.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR (1)  4 LIVERPOOL (0)  0 36,129   
  Modric 7
Defoe 66
Adebayor 68, 90+3

I fancied our chances given Spurs had had just 3 points from 3 games, while we had 7 from 4 which may have been 12 had we not been shafted in matches with Sunderland and Stoke.

However today we couldnt complain about being robbed, right from the get go it was obvious that Spurs were the better team and inside 7 minutes they were ahead thanks to a stunning opener for Luka Modric. Our back line had to be rotated somewhat, Martin Kelly and Glen Johnson were both out at right back while John Flanagan appeared largely discarded after a shaky game with Sunderland. Martin Skrtel went in at right back with Carragher and Agger centre back, although Skrtel had done well against the likes of Bolton it was clear today he was a square peg in a round hole.

Things got worse when Daniel Agger went off with a rib injury in the 27th minute and just a minute later Charlie Adam was sent off for a second bookable offence when he cut down Scott Parker although it appeared as though Adam didnt know the whereabouts of the England midfielder. Before this Luis Suarez also had a goal chalked off for offside.

In the second half it was clear we had a mountain to climb, and on 63 minutes it got even worse when Skrtel's miserable afternoon ended with a second bookable offence and a red card. Down to 9 men, Liverpool were simply ripe for the pickings, Jermaine Defoe and Emmanuel Adebayor both scored within 5 minutes of the second red card and in the last minute Adebayor rounded off his Spurs debut with a fourth goal to leave us licking our wounds following a 4-0 defeat. The shot count made for some sorry reading, Spurs had 26 efforts on goal, Liverpool had just 3.

It was a sorry sorry day

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4905 on: September 24, 2012, 02:56:33 pm »
21 Sep 2011    Brighton  A 2 1

Liverpool's ultimately succesful Carling cup run continued when they overcame Brighton at the Falmer Stadium, having recently returned to the club, Craig Bellamy opened the scoring with his first goal since he re-signed from Manchester City, Dirk Kuyt then scored his first of the season to give us a 2-0 lead, Brighton's Ashley Barnes pulled one back from the spot late on but the Reds advanced to the next round against Chelsea.     

24 Sep 2011    Liverpool 2 Wolves 1

Having lost 2 league games running it was back to winning ways at Anfield against Wolves, a deflected effort from Charlie Adam gave us the lead before Luis suarez made it 2-0 in the first half. Steven Fletcher pulled one back at the beginning of the second half but the Reds held out for a 2-1 win which may have been more only Andy Carroll hit the post and wasted another chance late on, encouraginly for Liverpool they were also able to call upon their captain Steven Gerrard for his first game of the season although niggling injuries meant we didnt get to see much of Steven before Christmas.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4906 on: October 2, 2012, 02:35:27 pm »
1st October 2011.

Kenny Dalglish takes Liverpool back to Goodison for the first time since the epic 4-4 draw which was the last game of his first reign as manager. Everton tried to take the game to us early on but Liverpool soaked it up but a big turning point was the red card for Jack Rodwell of Everton for a lunge on Luis Suarez, not to dissimilar to the one which saw Johnjo Shelvey sent off against Man United. Rodwell was dismissed pocketing me a few bob for the bet I did for a Red card that day, Rodwell angrily booted some water bottles as he made his way down the tunnel, although his red card was later rescinded Everton had to make do with 10 men.

Liverpool tried in vain to open the scoring before half time, another foul on Suarez resulted in a spot kick but the normally reliable Dirk Kuyt who had scored 3 from 3 from the spot against Everton in his time at the club (aswell as two more from open play) was denied by Tim Howards save at the same end in which Kuyt scored two penalties in the 2007-8 fixture. Charlie Adam was even closer with a thunderous shot from outside the box which crashed off the underside of the crossbar.

In the second half Liverpool finally opened the scoring and it was through two former Newcastle players as Jose Enrique's cross was smashed home by Andy Carroll for his first league goal of the season. Late on Everton failed to deal with the trickery of Suarez who finished Everton off from close range after the home side failed to clear their lines on more than one occasion. In the dying seconds Liverpool hit the post again through Dirk Kuyt but it was comfortable win for Kenny's Red Army, the second of what would be 11 undefeated matches, (ironically ended one game after Lucas got injured).

In what would be a recurring theme of the season the post match interview between Jeff Shreeves and Dalglish became more than a little frosty when Shreeves brought up the 35m fee for Carroll, Dalglish accused Shreeves among others of their "obsession" with Carrolls fee, the interview ended with Shreeves thanking Dalglish who appeared to rather sarcastically respond quite loudly with one word "PLEASURE"

The result left Liverpool 5th, but only 6 points off the lead and only 2 points off 3rd placed Newcastle.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4907 on: October 6, 2012, 09:42:20 pm »
my only worry about this thread being in here is that it covers all dates, past 1992 or whenever we decide and beyond. So either we let it live in here with memories from before, and accept its an anomaly or we don't have it in here...
Yep.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4908 on: October 6, 2012, 10:41:18 pm »
Cool and good point mate.
Yep.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4909 on: November 5, 2012, 10:59:34 am »
thanks for unlocking it

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4910 on: November 6, 2012, 03:40:52 pm »
15 Oct 2011    Man United  H 1  1         

One year to the day of Fenway sports group taking over, the Americans rolled into town as Liverpool took on Manchester United at old Trafford. The first half passed by with Liverpool having the better of it and Luis suarez went close only to be denied by the legs of United's David De Gea in goal. For United, Phil Jones, who came close to signing for Liverpool that summer headed wide at the Kop end from 4 yards out in their best chance of the first half. As the second half got underway a foul by Rio Ferdinand on Charlie Adam allowed Steven Gerrard to score at the Kop end from the resulting free kick, the recently returned skipper famously charged towards the Kop displaying 5 fingers for each of our European cups.

Late on however we were denied three points when Javier Hernandez headed home from a corner from close range. Liverpool then stepped it up a gear desperate to claim all 3 points, Luis Suarez, a constant thorn in Uniteds side all day went close, while De Gea in the United goal pulled off some excellent saves late on to make a mockery of his early season form, another who was doing the same was substitute Jordan Henderson who went close on two occasions. The game ended 1-1 and I remember walking home to get ready for my nieces 18th birthday, in my head I reflected upon the year under FSG, some promising youngsters, good signings here and there, a better style of play and of course Kenny Dalglish was back and the club was debt free. I felt if the results had have reflected our performances we might well have been 2nd or 3rd in the table so I was more than happy.

Unfortunately what I didn’t know was the aftermath of the game was to have painful consequences, although the findings were dubious and the evidence flawed (perhaps on both sides of the debate) there would soon be serious allegations after the game that Suarez racially abused Man United's Patrice Evra during the game, the allegations eventually lead to an 8 match ban for the Liverpool striker and it was an issue which cast a dark cloud over the remainder of the season with the club and the player having their name tarnished by these accusations, accusations the club and the player vociferously denied at any given opportunity which only seemed to make things worse. 

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4911 on: November 6, 2012, 03:41:02 pm »
22 Oct 2011    Norwich  H 1  1                 

It was to be about the 5th time over what felt like about 100 games that season where Liverpool beat their opponents from pillar to post and had nothing to show for it, if it was boxing then Liverpool may well have pulverised Norwich so bad that the game would have been stopped at half time, however it wasn’t boxing although it could still be said we never found a knock out blow. From early on Norwich were pressed back and Martin Skrtel came close when his crushing header smashed against the bar early on, Luis Suarez also hit the bar in the first half while Stewart Downings rebound was hooked tamely into the crowd. Craig Bellamy eventually opened the scoring shortly before half time with a well taken goal against one of this former clubs, we were good value for the 1-0 lead but in the second half the chances weren’t being converted, Suarez struck the post again before Liverpool were made pay. The excellent Wes Hoolahan crossed for Grant Holt to power home an equalizer for Norwich. Liverpool tried desperately to avoid losing two points, Andy Carroll somehow managed to head wide from 5 yards out while Suarez was denied yet again, this time it wasn’t poor finishing. The Uruguayan couldn’t have caught his volley any sweeter but not for the first time this season an unreal save from a visiting keeper denied him, John Ruddy somehow turned away the number 7s shot and Liverpool once more had to settle for a 1-1 draw. The result left us 5th but 6th place Spurs had played two games less, Norwich themselves were only just behind us, while 3 of the 4 teams above us had games in hand. We would be 10 points off top spot by the weekends conclusion, thanks to Manchester City destroying Manchester United 6-1 at Old Trafford.

Another running theme of the season was a mate of mine who repeatedly text me, "we wont do any better than 6th". I remained convinced we could finish in the top 4 and that surely we couldn’t go on having bad luck infront of goal. In the end we were both wrong, me more than him!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4912 on: November 6, 2012, 03:41:28 pm »
26 Oct 2011    Stoke City  A 1  2             

Liverpool's march to their 8th league cup ventured down bumpy roads to Wembley via Stoke. The Potters took the lead when a mistake by Sebastien Coates lead to an opener for Jon Walters, it was not a ground we had had great success on in recent times (league wise) but a wonderful equaliser from Luis Suarez gave us a foothold in the match, and it was Suarez who sealed the win when he headed home a second following a cross from Jordan Henderson which ruled out the need for extra time. League wise it wasn’t a happy ground, we had lost and drew twice but in the cups it wasn’t too bad, our previous visit we won 8-0, that proved an omen as we won the league cup that year and we would win it again this season. Chelsea, Man city and eventually Cardiff stood in our path.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4913 on: November 6, 2012, 03:43:07 pm »
29 Oct 2011    West Brom  A 0  2                 

For the second time since being dismissed only 6 months into his Anfield stint, Roy Hodgson came up against his former club Liverpool. Liverpool hardly allowed West Brom time to breath in the first half during which the game was rapped up. A foul on Luis Suarez allowed Charlie Adam to score from the spot and just before half time a wonderful ball from Suarez set up Andy Carroll who scored his second league goal of the season. It would be the last goal Carroll would score in the league prior to Christmas. In the second half Liverpool saw the game out easily enough and perhaps should have scored more (as per usual), Stewart Downing went close when he struck the post late on. The result kept us 5th with Spurs behind us having two games in hand, while Newcastle one point ahead of us had one game in hand, third placed Chelsea were one point ahead of us having played the same amount of games. 

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4914 on: November 6, 2012, 03:44:04 pm »
November 2011
5 Nov 2011    Swansea  H 0  0             

There were many games this season where Liverpool got no luck infront of goal, where they should have won but didn’t, although we missed some good chances here I do often believe we could easily have lost this game, its easy to say that now considering the guy in the opposite dugout was a chap named Brendan Rodgers but I was as impressed with his Swansea side as any other than had visited Anfield in 2011-2 so far. Liverpool should have been ahead inspite of all that when Andy Carroll somehow struck the bar from 3 yards out. Swansea were not at all intimidated however and knocked it around well and probably should have scored more than one and might have done but for the wastefulness of striker Danny Graham. Their style of play didn’t go unnoticed and they might well have left with all 3 points. Liverpool did however end the game much how they started it, by going ever so close infront of goal, this time a stunning 18 yard volley from Glen Johnson was somehow tipped over by Swansea's Michel Vorm. The match ended 0-0, one of the Swansea men on the day (Joe Allen) must have impressed given he now plays at Anfield on a regular basis following a 15m move in the summer of 2012. Newly promoted Swansea had shown they weren’t pushovers in the league when no one had given them a prayer, they were currently a more than respectable 10th with Liverpool 6th. 

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4915 on: November 21, 2012, 03:03:37 pm »
November 20th 2011

Chelsea 1 Liverpool 2

There was a lot of talk about ex players when Liverpool went to Stamford Bridge, Kenny Dalglish's side vs Andre Villas Boas with each man battling to get into the top 4, neither man would and neither man are in the same job now.

It was no surprise back then the winning goal was scored by an ex player but the source of this goal was surprising.

After Chelsea were caught out at the back, good work and pressure from Luis Suarez, Craig Bellamy and Charlie Adam allowed Maxi Rodriguez to open the scoring for Liverpool in a first half they utterly dominated, even if Didier Drogba went so close to scoring that sky commentators thought it was in.

In the second half Chelsea began to fight back and drew level with Juan Mata set up Daniel Sturridge, it could have gone either way, good work from sub Jordan Henderson set up Dirk Kuyt who dragged his shot wide whilst Chelsea deployed 62m worth of ex Liverpool players off the bench in the shape of Fernando Torres and Raul Meireles. Surely one would score the winner? But it wasn’t to be for Chelsea as it was one of their ex players who did the needy when Glen Johnson went on a mazy run and finished superbly to give Liverpool the three points in a 2-1 victory.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4916 on: December 12, 2012, 10:10:03 am »
do a bit of catch up here if anyone wants to keep score

27th November 2011, Premier League, Liverpool 1 Man City 1

League leaders Man City arrive at Anfield in excellent form and fancy their chances, their title credentials rubber stamped by a recent 6-1 win over Man United at Old Trafford.

In the first half hour they have it their own way and perhaps it is no surprise when Vincent Kompany heads them infront. However their lead last just two minutes when Charlie Adam's heavily deflected effort off Joleon Lescott drew us level at 1-1. Adam was having one of if not the best game of his Liverpool career and went close again just before half time when his right footed effort was saved by City's Joe Hart despite Hart seemingly going the wrong way.

Liverpool continued to dominate long periods in the second half with Lucas and Adam bossing the midfield. I seem to remember Suarez having a chance before late on the drama continued when City's sub Mario Balotelli was sent off for two bookable offences (he apparently damaged a dressing room door in a tantrum after), City could have stolen it undeservedly when Edin Dzeko burst clear to set up David Silva but after being delayed by Pepe Reina long enough the chance went as by the time Silva worked a suitable angle there was enough bodies back on the line to stop the danger. Liverpool went even closer when Andy Carroll's late header was kept out by an unbelievable save from Joe Hart.

We had stood up to the league leaders admirably, and they were lucky to escape with a point. the performances of Lucas and Adam were superb but unfortunately just as the media and everyone finally warmed to the previously unloved Brazilian injury would lay around the corner.

Even more tragically was why Craig Bellamy couldnt play as Kenny Dalglish left out the inform Welsh man after news broke earlier in the day that Welsh manager Gary Speed had committed suicide. RIP

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4917 on: December 12, 2012, 10:13:57 am »
November 29th 2011, Carling Cup

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 2

Liverpool's march to the Carling cup continued with their second win in a few weeks at Chelsea. Both teams were much changed given that Liverpool were just overcoming a match with Man City two days earlier, so the timing seemed unfair. The first half was goalless with Andy Carroll having his penalty saved by Chelsea stopper Ross Turnbull. In the second half Liverpool took control when Argentine Maxi Rodriguez scored the opener just as he had at the Bridge in the Premier league in the sides previous encounter. The second goal followed when Craig Bellamy's free kick was headed home by Martin Kelly for his first goal for the club, sadly for Liverpool as I mentioned, midfielder Lucas suffered a cruciate injury during the match and the Brazilian would be out for most of the next year recovering, he would be sorely missed.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4918 on: December 12, 2012, 10:27:02 am »
December 5th Premier League

Fulham 1 Liverpool 0

In a running theme of his only full season back as manager, Kenny Dalglish oversaw yet another undeserved result. Liverpool dominated all match and should have gone ahead early on when Jordan Henderson hit the post. In the second half Luis Suarez was denied a penalty and Philip Senderos perhaps could have been sent off when he deliberately took down Charlie Adam who was threatening to run clear on goal. Our mood wasn’t helped when Suarez wrongly had a goal chalked off whilst in place of Lucas and with Steven Gerrard injured, Liverpool turned to Jay Spearing who was sent off, although he won the ball the follow through was perhaps a little rough although most had sympathy for Liverpool given tackling seems to be outlawed at times these days.

The officials were certainly not winning us over, Brede Hangeland, mindful of the pasting he received from Luis Suarez the previous season was guilty of barging him over but instead the referee bizarrely adjudged Suarez to be fouling! It wasn’t helped when Clint Dempsey appeared to stick his head in the face of the innocent Craig Bellamy and wasn’t sent off, to add insult to injury Bellamy was booked despite seemingly doing nothing, and to rub salt in the wound Dempsey scored the winner after a mistake by Pepe Reina, it was a night nothing went right, shortly before the winning goal, not only should Dempsey have been sent off, but Stewart Downing struck the bar with Mark Schwarzer in the Fulham goal beaten all ends up. Anything that could go wrong did go wrong. Our central midfield would now be depleted given Spearing would now be banned 3 games, whilst Gerrard and Lucas were injured, but it didn’t end there. Suarez leaving the pitch, fed up with the utter fucking shite referees and linesmen and abusive Fulham fans stuck his middle fingers up at the fans leaving the field and ended up with a one game ban (which would be added to a subsequent 8 games ban due to be added soon).

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4919 on: December 12, 2012, 10:32:45 am »
December 10th 2011 Premier League

Liverpool 1 QPR 0

It was a relief to get back to winning ways and with a trial coming up to determine the outcome of his clash with Patrice Evra aswell as him giving the finger at Fulham it must have been a welcome relief to Luis Suarez when he scored the games only goal in a 1-0 win although it surely should have been more comfortable with the front line of Suarez and Maxi Rodriguez giving the Londoners an afternoon of torture. Spent the day christmas shopping in Belfast, can remember everything I suggested for absolutely everyone was met with no by my mrs, I eventually just went off and bought everything I wanted anyway, I compared her to a politician.
"why"
"cos everything I suggest is no, then you’ve nothing to suggest yourself"

Ha

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:27:54 am by HELLRAZOR »