Author Topic: Sinking of the Lancastria  (Read 1602 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Sinking of the Lancastria
« on: June 27, 2021, 09:27:45 pm »
A report from the BBC about the worst shipping disaster in UK history;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-57611470

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sinking of the Lancastria
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 08:44:27 pm »
Thanks for that mate, really interesting.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: July 1, 2021, 09:34:02 am »
Good read that, cheers for posting. I wondered what the old Hurricane flypast was for at the weekend.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #3 on: July 1, 2021, 01:24:12 pm »
I had no idea this was the deadliest British sinking of the war. The propaganda attempts to hide it have done their job even all these years later.

My Grandads Uncle was part of the Laconia incident (which they even made a BBC dramatisation of a few years back) with a lot of other Liverpudlian sailors. He spent most of the rest of the war in a Vichy French POW camp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laconia_incident

That in itself had a higher death toll then the Titanic, so for Lancastria to more then double that is horrendous.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #4 on: July 2, 2021, 12:12:21 am »
I had no idea this was the deadliest British sinking of the war. The propaganda attempts to hide it have done their job even all these years later.

My Grandads Uncle was part of the Laconia incident (which they even made a BBC dramatisation of a few years back) with a lot of other Liverpudlian sailors. He spent most of the rest of the war in a Vichy French POW camp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laconia_incident

That in itself had a higher death toll then the Titanic, so for Lancastria to more then double that is horrendous.

I was totally unaware of this until I saw it on the news the other day, then saw this thread.  :-\
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 3, 2021, 07:48:00 pm »
Cheers for that. Great little read. Knew very little about it proir to this thread if I'm honest.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.