Author Topic: Electronics projects  (Read 917 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Electronics projects
« on: March 19, 2021, 02:49:18 pm »
I've got an ardinuo thingy - well two of them and a PI hooked up to them, and am starting to get back into fiddling with stuff.

If you've not seen it, then this guy is amazing - he built a CPU on bread-boarded kits and also an 8-bit computer

I'm working on the 8-bit computer set up myself and am looking to hook up roms from some 8 bits I own

https://eater.net/

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Electronics projects
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 03:14:47 pm »
The touch screen in my X Type was state of the art 12 years ago but is very meh now. A fella has managed to integrate an Arduino into the head unit to allow all the functions, Climate Control, bluetooth phone and cd changer to work and then by pressing the Nav button it switches to Android so gives modern sat nav, streaming, DAB radio etc etc.

I've had a couple of spare head units for a couple of years now but cannot motivate myself to actually have a go at doing it. He'll build it for £650 but I'm not in the car enough to justify that kind of expense.

Need to get my arse in gear and have a go.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 03:38:28 pm »
The touch screen in my X Type was state of the art 12 years ago but is very meh now. A fella has managed to integrate an Arduino into the head unit to allow all the functions, Climate Control, bluetooth phone and cd changer to work and then by pressing the Nav button it switches to Android so gives modern sat nav, streaming, DAB radio etc etc.

I've had a couple of spare head units for a couple of years now but cannot motivate myself to actually have a go at doing it. He'll build it for £650 but I'm not in the car enough to justify that kind of expense.

Need to get my arse in gear and have a go.

The kits are actually very cheap

I've got an UNO and a MEGA and they are less than £15

You can also buy some good starter packs - my original one was for the Uno and it's got a ton of sensors and loads of online projects - as in thousands - and more are created every day

The setup I'd recommend is (this is what I use anyway)

Uno and breadboard - you can get a holder for them and your Uno screws securely on

Mega and breadboard and Pi (Again you can get the holder for them and screw them on)

Three attached breadboards / or unattach if you move them about

Soldering anti-static tray

Once these are all in place then you're go to go - attach your Uno to one computer (via USB) and attach the Mega to another then attach the Pi to another

This way you can customise what you're seeing and you can duplicate what you want across the computers. I've got mine hooked up to two laptops, the Pi and my main computer - so i get four lots of sensors plus the sensors I've got on the boards.

On top of that if you're coding stuff, get some EEPROMs and an EEPROM burner (You can get these from Amazon) and maybe some extra wires to connect up.

I prefer breadboarding to soldering as you can dick about as much as you like and experiment more :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 12:00:11 pm »
I've got no expertise (even to a hobbying level!) in this area but a post from a few days ago is loosely relevant to this topic.

All of them?

The 50 or so I engaged with at work today were brilliant, talented, young students, and had some local employers very keen to find out more about them.

12 of those were electronics students participating in a virtual Dragons' Den-style event in which they'd work on group projects and were pitching to a panel of industry experts (some local, actually - hoping the conversations continue even with the event having finished!).  Was really good - although the group projects/topics meant that the presentations might as well have been in a foreign language to me:
  • a bio-reactor for monitoring muscle activity/affect in space
  • a large-scale PCB
  • a sensor for accurately identifying the moment an aircraft touches-down
  • a virtual robotic arm