Author Topic: Harry Maguire considering his options thread  (Read 3271848 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: United - The Green and GOle Standard!
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2020, 04:03:44 pm »
I think Maguire would probably start beside VVD under Klopp. Pogba too if he could work. it's hard to project how putting these guys from a team that's essentially on fire into a winning machine under the best coach in the world would go. Martial I think would be a beast under Klopp

I'm not sure Martial has the workrate for a Klopp team, I'd think Rashford would be more suited.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2020, 04:04:56 pm »
I think Maguire would probably start beside VVD under Klopp. Pogba too if he could work. it's hard to project how putting these guys from a team that's essentially on fire into a winning machine under the best coach in the world would go. Martial I think would be a beast under Klopp

Maguire isn't better than Matip. and Martial wouldn't displace anyone in the side either.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2020, 04:05:18 pm »
ESPN taking tips from the Echo on picking a combined team.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2020, 04:05:55 pm »

A purple wheelie bin would get picked ahead of McGuire
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2020, 04:07:52 pm »

Absolutely no chance Maguire or Pogba would be first choice in a Klopp side. I can think of a few United players who might shine under Klopp but those 2 aren't close.

Agree on Martial though, I think he'd go up a level.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2020, 04:10:11 pm »
Klopp would work wonders with Rashford.

Martial's mentality wouldn't be up to scratch; he'd be sold. Pogba would be similar probably.

Maguire wouldn't start next to Van Dijk over Gomez or Matip. He'd get in ahead of Lovren.

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2020, 04:10:49 pm »

:lmao that's ridiculous and you know it.

Pogba has the work rate of roadkill, he'd be useless in a Klopp team. Martial would be a good addition to come on when someone gets tired.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2020, 04:12:44 pm »
Eric Bailly rewarded with a new contract. He's earned it.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2020, 04:13:02 pm »
True I forgot Gomez existed with the injuries. That and I tend to dodge your games nowadays because you just win. He's a lot better than Maguire on peak form. Think Maguire on form prob gets in ahead of Matip
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2020, 04:19:12 pm »
True I forgot Gomez existed with the injuries. That and I tend to dodge your games nowadays because you just win. He's a lot better than Maguire on peak form. Think Maguire on form prob gets in ahead of Matip

Not sure that's the case. Matip was half of a CL winning CB partnership, who also hoovered up 97 points over a league season.

Maguire by comparison has merely looked good in a decent Leicester side, and has been alright for you, apart from at least 3 awful mistakes that I've seen this season.

Not really having that its all Van Dijk, if you watch Matip, he's a very very good player who is solid at the back and useful on his occasional mazy runs forward.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2020, 04:43:05 pm »

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2020, 04:46:30 pm »
I think Maguire would probably start beside VVD under Klopp. Pogba too if he could work.

Neither would get in the side. Maguire is not good enough on the ball and Pogba just doesn't work enough and never has - he's also not tactically disciplined enough.

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2020, 04:50:58 pm »
Think Maguire on form prob gets in ahead of Matip

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2020, 04:54:31 pm »
Neither would get in the side. Maguire is not good enough on the ball and Pogba just doesn't work enough and never has - he's also not tactically disciplined enough.

I agree Craig. Yet weirdly the media have him down as this amazing ball playing centre half who brings the ball out of defense and can pass. Maguire seems to believe it too, yet any time I've watched him, his ball distribution is dreadful.
Maybe I'm wrong Tony and you can correct me, but he seems to try a lot of 30/40/50 yard passes to Rashford, and most without success. Around Christmas there was a game where I counted 6 in the first half of a game, and only 1 was a good pass.

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2020, 04:58:13 pm »
Matip is the best ball playing centre back in the league. Only rivalled by Joe, Virgil and Laporte when he's fit. Maguire is a laughable shout.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2020, 05:00:31 pm »

Maguire isnt better than any of our other 3 centre backs. You'll get people arguing he's better than Lovren because it's fashionable to dislike Lovren, but Lovren is better than Maguire.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2020, 05:01:35 pm »

I agree Craig. Yet weirdly the media have him down as this amazing ball playing centre half who brings the ball out of defense and can pass. Maguire seems to believe it too, yet any time I've watched him, his ball distribution is dreadful.
Maybe I'm wrong Tony and you can correct me, but he seems to try a lot of 30/40/50 yard passes to Rashford, and most without success. Around Christmas there was a game where I counted 6 in the first half of a game, and only 1 was a good pass.

It's the "emperor has no clothes" syndrome, everyone says one thing, repeat it enough times and the masses believe it.

Plus with his price tag, he must be good, right ? Right?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:03:26 pm by Chakan »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2020, 05:01:57 pm »
Maguire isnt better than any of our other 3 centre backs. You'll get people arguing he's better than Lovren because it's fashionable to dislike Lovren, but Lovren is better than Maguire.
...By a country mile
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Yevgeny

• Kopite
  • Believer.
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2020, 05:03:46 pm »
Maguire would be an atrocity in our high line with all that space to defend. He doesn’t have the pace for it. He’d be a liability for any team that wanted to play with a high defensive line. He’s a good player in the right setup but I don’t think he’s good enough for a top side that’s expected to play on the front foot and win every game. Matip and Gomez have a proven ability to play high up the pitch and look good doing it. Recovery pace is obviously key.

Also, the people putting Rashford in ahead of Mo need their heads examined. If Ingsy played for Utd they’d all putting him in their combined XI ahead of Bobby too.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2020, 05:04:04 pm »
Maguire :lmao and Rashford over Salah  :lmao

It's like these people don't even watch football.

They watch Utd, so they don't.

Maguire is shite, they've a better CB out on loan.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:05:35 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2020, 05:05:35 pm »
They watch Utd, so they don't.

Fair point!

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2020, 05:10:08 pm »
It's the "emperor has no clothes" syndrome, everyone says one thing, repeat it enough times and the masses believe it.

Plus with his price tag, he must be good, right ? Right?

Yep.....and no  :)
On the repeat it enough and the masses believe it though, that's so right and bloody annoying and all, but when it's an English player, its relentless bullox.
With his surname, he must have some of the good old Irish blood in him. When they dig and find out he's really one of my lot, they'll slow it down  :)

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2020, 05:41:20 pm »
Absolutely not. Gomez and Matip are better on the ball, faster, and just generally better for our side than Maguire. We won the European Cup with those two, and they’ve been part of the best defence in the league for the past year and a half. Maguire can battle with Lovren for 4th choice, even then I’d rather Dejan.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2020, 05:50:44 pm »
Maguire trying to play in a defensive line as high as ours would be a disaster.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2020, 05:55:48 pm »

Maguire has been caught up about his ball playing abilities in the same hysteria that created the notion that T-Rex has great distribution with his feet. English player makes a few good passes then all of a sudden he’s Beckenbauer reborn....Maguire has a slab for a forehead....that’s his main attribute and if he was breast feeding a shovel, with a hi-viz on, in a hole in the street then he’d be at his level....

Online Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2020, 06:02:17 pm »
Maguire is handy to have in the PL because of his heading ability, where goals from corners and free-kicks are vital. But we've already got Virgil whose better at everything else as well. We don't need another player who's dominant in the air, and we've got other centre-halves who are quicker and at least as good with the ball.

Gomez followed by Matip are our best partners, as Virgil does not need to constantly keep an eye out and sweep behind a slower partner and he can concentrate fully on his own job. If he was playing alongside Maguire he constantly have to worry about the ball either going over Maguire's head or being played past him.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 06:03:58 pm by leftfooter »
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2020, 06:13:14 pm »
No way would Maguire play in our high line, to slow and turns like a tugboat

Gomez and Matip are far superior defenders, Lovren he could replace as #4.

Pogba doesn't have the workrate or effort to bust a gut under Klopp.

Martial maybe 2 years ago he would be in the conversation but injuries have made him regress, he wouldn't dislodged anyone on our front 3, again he would be a squad player like Maguire.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2020, 06:20:33 pm »
I've not been on the caf the last couple of days, are they getting cock bollocks giddy about how they're going to beat us on Sunday?

They've been even more Evertonised than I thought.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2020, 06:22:16 pm »

I think Maguire would maybe be 4th choice, at a stretch, under Klopp.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2020, 06:34:06 pm »

hah hah, give your head a wobble, both Gomez and Matip are far better.

The only reason Maguire is rated is because he's english.

https://twitter.com/BnsComps/status/1212512587977515008

Martial might get on the bench though.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2020, 06:41:30 pm »
Maguire is handy to have in the PL because of his heading ability, where goals from corners and free-kicks are vital. But we've already got Virgil whose better at everything else as well. We don't need another player who's dominant in the air, and we've got other centre-halves who are quicker and at least as good with the ball.

Gomez followed by Matip are our best partners, as Virgil does not need to constantly keep an eye out and sweep behind a slower partner and he can concentrate fully on his own job. If he was playing alongside Maguire he constantly have to worry about the ball either going over Maguire's head or being played past him.

He hasn't scored a goal for them.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2020, 06:58:49 pm »
Matip is the best ball playing centre back in the league. Only rivalled by Joe, Virgil and Laporte when he's fit. Maguire is a laughable shout.

I was searching for a word that would best describe the idea of Maguire getting into our side and yeah, 'laughable' is it. I think tony knows it too but just tossed this grenade in there for everyone to bite.

His ball playing is definitely overrated. One thing I will say is that he's extremely confident when he has possession and that sometimes goes some way to allowing him to carry the ball forward. But I watched him against Arsenal (the Aha game) and one thing that struck me is how slow he is in terms of moving the ball and getting it out of his feet and that allowed Arsenal to move further forward and press him and it put Man Utd on the back foot. And he was shite in his use of the ball too. More of that on Sunday please Harry.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2020, 07:15:08 pm »
I've not been on the caf the last couple of days, are they getting cock bollocks giddy about how they're going to beat us on Sunday?

I've had a peep. To be fair to them the penny seems to have dropped. Most think we will win and a few expect us to hammer them.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2020, 07:15:54 pm »

No chance.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2020, 07:18:23 pm »

His ball playing is definitely overrated. One thing I will say is that he's extremely confident when he has possession and that sometimes goes some way to allowing him to carry the ball forward. But I watched him against Arsenal (the Aha game) and one thing that struck me is how slow he is in terms of moving the ball and getting it out of his feet and that allowed Arsenal to move further forward and press him and it put Man Utd on the back foot. And he was shite in his use of the ball too. More of that on Sunday please Harry.

He has the turning circle and stopping speed of an oil tanker.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2020, 07:20:26 pm »
Fair play to Tony for still posting on here during these troubled times  ;D

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2020, 07:26:19 pm »
I've had a peep. To be fair to them the penny seems to have dropped. Most think we will win and a few expect us to hammer them.
Damn I thought they'd still be in the denial phase.  Ah well accepting their fate means their expectations are at rock bottom but not sure if that helps or hinders us.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2020, 07:26:39 pm »
Fair play to Tony for still posting on here during these troubled times  ;D
Esp. as he keeps announcing he's not a member any longer
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2020, 07:30:55 pm »

I've had the "only team to take points off you" at work this week - I just laughed and said no-one will give a shit when Hendo lifts that shiny trophy
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2020, 07:34:23 pm »
I've had the "only team to take points off you" at work this week - I just laughed and said no-one will give a shit when Hendo lifts that shiny trophy

3 points is all I'm bothered about on Sunday but christ almighty I hope we give them an absolute pasting in the process.