Author Topic: Are we living in a computer simulation?  (Read 3945 times)

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
Are we living in a computer simulation?
« on: October 22, 2018, 12:33:59 pm »
Elon Musk, you know that multimillionaire who founded Paypal, Telsa Motors and XSpace certainly think so. I mean is the world just a super advanced type of virtual reality? OK first of some facts that are at the centre of all this...

1. Computing power in 1956 was 10,000 FLOPS

2. Computing power in 2015 is 4,000,000,000,000,000 FLOPS

That is an increase of 4,000,000,000 x over, that over 69 years - 1956 to 2015...

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/visualizing-trillion-fold-increase-computing-power/

Anyways the processor of Apollo guidance computer had twice the amount of processing power than Super Nintendo entertainment system -this is the processor that we used on the first spacecraft to go to the moon (ohhh btw we haven't gone to the moon since) - the gap between the two was about 40 to 50 years max... Personally this is  proof that given 1 million years we should be able run a virtual world, that is if our future ancestors decide to do so and haven't gone extinct like the dinosaurs... the chance they decide not to, for what ever reasons or have gone extinct are very, very small. So yes, we will definitely have the computer's with the processing power needed to run the real world virtual reality simulation, yeah I know the world is really really really really big huge but processing power of computers of computers nearly 70 years ago increased at a rate of 58,000,000 million times per year.. so given that sort of rapid improvement year in, year out - yes given a 100,000 years and you're looking at incredible powerful computers with the capacity and ability to do just about anything.

And if so, who is to say we're not in a simulation right now?

Elon Musk has said this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2KK_kzrJPS8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2KK_kzrJPS8</a>

So if you assume any rate of improvement at all, then the games will become indistinguishable from reality, even if that rate of advancement drops by a thousand from what it is now. Then you just say, okay, let’s imagine it’s 10,000 years in the future, which is nothing on the evolutionary scale.

So given that we’re clearly on a trajectory to have games that are indistinguishable from reality, and those games could be played on any set-top box or on a PC or whatever, and there would probably be billions of such computers or set-top boxes, it would seem to follow that the odds that we’re in base reality is one in billions.

Think of the Matrix but instead of uses human as the source of power, we harness the energy needed to run it. Personally I can't wait to meet the woman in the red dress. But in all seriousness what do you think? Or does it sound like a crazy theory from somebody who has taken too many drugs? 

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Re: Are we living in a computer simulation?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 01:08:02 pm »

And if so, who is to say we're not in a simulation right now?...

It's amost a modern technology version of Solipsism and undoubtedly it has its attractions to some as an idea, a possible explanation for things.

But, and it's rather a huge but, if we are (or just yourself, or just Musk) living/existing within a simulation now, then everything you have said regarding computer evolution, your "OK first of some facts that are at the centre of all this.." is also a simulation, it may never have really happened and you would have great difficulty proving it ever had.

And where does that now get us?

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 01:31:15 pm »
Its a fucking shit one if we are. If this is just my version of the simulation, why am I not driving a Ferrari and shagging beautiful women (wife excepted cos she is fit). Was my game infected by the despair squid?

Did I really just type that, or was it a simulation? Am I really listening to Nirvana doing their excellent cover of The Man who sold the World? Do I care?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 01:31:32 pm »
Similar points to Gulley.

1. The discussion about the state of the technology only has meaning if there is a 'real' world.

2. If you are living in a computer simulation then I am a simulation as well.

3. Games aren't that good yet. Even the best are a way off being indistinguishable so if it is going to happen it hasn't yet.

And his argument is bollocks by the way. What does a set top box have to do with anything? He makes a massive jump from having games that are indistinguishable from reality (hasn't happened yet) and the human race existing within a set top box. At the moment we have graphics that look pretty good in 2D and are passable in 3D. Temperature, touch, taste, smell, acoustics, the impact of gravity and accelleration, hunger, pain... and a billion and one other characteristics that make the world 'real' haven't been touched on.

Musk is an interesting person and very bright in some respects. He's also a massive dick and incredibly naive in many ways.

4. What's the point? What kind of insane monster would subject people to a simulated world like the one live in with no reason? What kind of despicable c*nt killed my sister, making her one year old son an orphan? What is the purpose of filling a simulation with millions suffering in poverty and starvation? Why have a simulation that has child abuse and horrendous diseases?

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 02:02:23 pm »
That last one reminded me of a scene from The Matrix when they talk about the simulation the machines chose, that at first they made it a utopia but humans wouldn't accept it.

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 02:25:36 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QsOLnEwDc24" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QsOLnEwDc24</a>

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 02:27:38 pm »
He's actually taking this idea from Nick Bostrom who made this argument all the way back in 2003. It's an interesting puzzle to think about but I don't think it is all that convincing.

Here's the original if you want to read it: https://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 02:31:58 pm »
No

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 02:59:38 pm »
He's actually taking this idea from Nick Bostrom who made this argument all the way back in 2003. It's an interesting puzzle to think about but I don't think it is all that convincing.

Here's the original if you want to read it: https://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

It falls apart for me here:
"Suppose that these simulated people are conscious (as they would be if the simulations were sufficiently fine-grained and if a certain quite widely accepted position in the philosophy of mind is correct). "

What's the basis for that? It has nothing to do with computing power. He says that "substrate-independence" is a commonly held view but most searches seem to loop back to Nick Bostrom.

And what is the basis for assuming that a "post-human" species would want to use that much computing power to simulate the entirety of human existence?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 04:25:50 pm »
Yes, but the person running it has done "Go On Holiday" mode for 4000 years just to see what happens.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 05:25:27 pm »
QTWTAIN
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 06:39:26 pm »
It falls apart for me here:
"Suppose that these simulated people are conscious (as they would be if the simulations were sufficiently fine-grained and if a certain quite widely accepted position in the philosophy of mind is correct). "

What's the basis for that? It has nothing to do with computing power. He says that "substrate-independence" is a commonly held view but most searches seem to loop back to Nick Bostrom.

Typically I think the idea is labelled multiple realizability. It's a fairly intuitive idea I think -- it would be strange to think that an alien life form can't think the thought 'grass is green' without having the same neural makeup and architecture as ourselves. Of course this is just a premise based an plausibility, it's entirely possible that unless you share the same 'substrate' as Bostrom puts it, then you won't be capable of the same mental content. Which would be quite sad if you think about it, we would never be able to communicate with aliens if we ever did run into them.
---Rilke

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 07:41:39 pm »
Typically I think the idea is labelled multiple realizability. It's a fairly intuitive idea I think -- it would be strange to think that an alien life form can't think the thought 'grass is green' without having the same neural makeup and architecture as ourselves. Of course this is just a premise based an plausibility, it's entirely possible that unless you share the same 'substrate' as Bostrom puts it, then you won't be capable of the same mental content. Which would be quite sad if you think about it, we would never be able to communicate with aliens if we ever did run into them.

Bostrom’s definition is that intelligence is purely computational:

“The idea is that mental states can supervene on any of a broad class of physical substrates. Provided a system implements the right sort of computational structures and processes, it can be associated with conscious experiences.”

He’s not describing alien intelligence. He’s saying that intelligence is independent of life.

Given that the only example of intelligence/consciousness we have (human) is not computational that’s a bit of a stretch.

The starting point for human intelligence isn’t logic and computation. It can’t be if you accept evolution.

The fallacy is in assuming that because computing power can be used to approximate the appearance of consciousness, that consciousness must follow.

Why? Computer graphics can be programmed to mimic the behaviour of light - reflection, refraction, colour, light and shade. That doesn’t mean photons are being refracted, reflected or absorbed.

Computer generated objects can be programmed to behave as if they are affected by gravity. Does gravity ‘appear’ spontaneously inside the computer?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 09:19:33 pm »
If life has spontaneously occured due to the laws by which it is governed who is to say if you put the same laws into a simulation using a powerful enough machine that virtual life wouldn't also spontaneously be created?

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 10:26:11 pm »
If life has spontaneously occured due to the laws by which it is governed who is to say if you put the same laws into a simulation using a powerful enough machine that virtual life wouldn't also spontaneously be created?

How many times has life been spontaneously 'created' on Earth? It wasn't 'created' from a set of laws. There was a set of conditions that allowed for the formation of amino acids around 4 billion years ago. 3.5 billion years ago there was a split between bacteria and archaea. Primitive forms of photosynthesis are developed and eventually the development of photosynthesis using water creates oxygen as a by-product....

1.8 billion years ago Eukaryotic cells appear. 750 million years ago we get the first protozoa. There may have been a global glaciation period around this time. The accumulation of atmospheric oxygen creates an ozone layer that protects land animals from ultra-violet.

Half a billion years ago we get most modern phyla of animals in the Cambrian explosion.... and so it goes on. We go through hundreds of years of development through the development of fish and insects, the appearance of the dinosaurs. 205 million years ago we get the massive Triassic/Jurassic extinction and 160 million years ago the first primitive mammals appear. 66 million years the Cretacious-paleogene extinction eradicates half of all animal species and all dinosaurs except the birds...

...350ka evolution of the Neanderthals...

...250ka Anatomically modern humans appear in Africa...

...250 years ago Industrial Revolution starts

...70 years ago First transistor

...50 years ago First microprocessor

You can't ignore all the millions/billions of chance events that eventually resulted in humans appearing on Earth. It's not a linear computational exercise from first principles.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 10:57:41 pm »
How many times has life been spontaneously 'created' on Earth? It wasn't 'created' from a set of laws. There was a set of conditions that allowed for the formation of amino acids around 4 billion years ago. 3.5 billion years ago there was a split between bacteria and archaea. Primitive forms of photosynthesis are developed and eventually the development of photosynthesis using water creates oxygen as a by-product....

1.8 billion years ago Eukaryotic cells appear. 750 million years ago we get the first protozoa. There may have been a global glaciation period around this time. The accumulation of atmospheric oxygen creates an ozone layer that protects land animals from ultra-violet.

Half a billion years ago we get most modern phyla of animals in the Cambrian explosion.... and so it goes on. We go through hundreds of years of development through the development of fish and insects, the appearance of the dinosaurs. 205 million years ago we get the massive Triassic/Jurassic extinction and 160 million years ago the first primitive mammals appear. 66 million years the Cretacious-paleogene extinction eradicates half of all animal species and all dinosaurs except the birds...

...350ka evolution of the Neanderthals...

...250ka Anatomically modern humans appear in Africa...

...250 years ago Industrial Revolution starts

...70 years ago First transistor

...50 years ago First microprocessor

You can't ignore all the millions/billions of chance events that eventually resulted in humans appearing on Earth. It's not a linear computational exercise from first principles.
the laws of physics are what caused the universe to eventually become what it is today. If you created a simulation with the same laws and conditions in place its quite conceivable simulated life within that simulation could happen in the same way it has. The results may not necessarily be designed but a random result of the conditions in place. Do you think life at its basic form has only happened on earth? Hasn't that been pretty much calculated to be impossible given the infinite nature of everything?

I think it's an interesting topic that if you had a machine powerful enough to simulate things on such a scale you'd get similar results. I think that's what people are proposing, if life and consciousness came about randomly within a simulated universe how would it know it was in a simulation

Say in a thousand years we knew most of the laws and conditions that make up the universe at its starting point, added those into a virtual instance and let it just happen it would follow similar pattterns, matter grouping together, stars, galaxies, planets etc
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 11:03:13 pm by WillG.LFC »

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 11:30:15 pm »
Will mate. You have a lot of reading to do.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 12:04:39 am »
About what? The parameters by which life exists is effectively due to chance and the infinite scale of the universe. If those are replicable in a simulated equivalent you would get the same results. Organic compounds would form like they did on earth just by the same random chances and infinate scale.

As Elon Musk himself said there are two possibilities the human civilisation will die out or we will live long enough to produce computers powerful enough to create life like simulations indistinguishable from reality.

feel free to patronise those who have different view points though, i don't think this is a simulation as we can't last long enough without killing each other but the logic and reasoning is sound and its an interesting concept. Simulated life, design or randomly occuring would not know they were in a simulation
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:06:42 am by WillG.LFC »

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 01:23:42 am »
I’m dangerous Dan McGrew. Bare-fist fighting extraordinaire.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 01:30:02 am »
An unprovable (or disprovable) theory is the worst theory. The truth is we were all put here by gray aliens as a worker colony.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 01:52:20 am »
Bostrom’s definition is that intelligence is purely computational:

“The idea is that mental states can supervene on any of a broad class of physical substrates. Provided a system implements the right sort of computational structures and processes, it can be associated with conscious experiences.”

He’s not describing alien intelligence. He’s saying that intelligence is independent of life.

Given that the only example of intelligence/consciousness we have (human) is not computational that’s a bit of a stretch.

The starting point for human intelligence isn’t logic and computation. It can’t be if you accept evolution.

The fallacy is in assuming that because computing power can be used to approximate the appearance of consciousness, that consciousness must follow.

Why? Computer graphics can be programmed to mimic the behaviour of light - reflection, refraction, colour, light and shade. That doesn’t mean photons are being refracted, reflected or absorbed.

Computer generated objects can be programmed to behave as if they are affected by gravity. Does gravity ‘appear’ spontaneously inside the computer?

I don't really disagree with any of this, as I said I don't find his argument all that convincing. I was just trying to be as charitable as possible to his point of view by trying to bring it in line with the more acceptable multiple realizability view. I do agree that there is a very strong assumption in his argument that consciousness can be computationally realized, and it's not an assumption that I share.
---Rilke

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 08:44:35 am »
Or does it sound like a crazy theory from somebody who has taken too many drugs?

Answered your own question

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 08:57:45 am »
The problem I’ve got is if this is my simulation then you lot are all in on it so you’re bound to tell me it’s not a simulation.

I’m onto you guys. I’m onto you.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 10:40:45 am »
The problem I’ve got is if this is my simulation then you lot are all in on it so you’re bound to tell me it’s not a simulation.

I’m onto you guys. I’m onto you.
the craigDS show :D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 04:38:56 pm »
I think it's a topic that should only be discussed when you've dropped an acid.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 04:42:59 pm »
up up down down left right left right...up up down down left right left right...up up down down left right left right...up up down down left right left right...

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck! Why isn't this working?

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 06:39:12 pm »
up up down down left right left right...up up down down left right left right...up up down down left right left right...up up down down left right left right...

Use your joystick
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline manx_red

• Main Stander
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2018, 01:33:28 pm »

Try "cheat 2: codeword chastitycheat"

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2018, 03:54:13 pm »
porntipsguzzardo

(One for the older generation)
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2018, 11:02:05 am »
the laws of physics are what caused the universe to eventually become what it is today. If you created a simulation with the same laws and conditions in place its quite conceivable simulated life within that simulation could happen in the same way it has. The results may not necessarily be designed but a random result of the conditions in place. Do you think life at its basic form has only happened on earth? Hasn't that been pretty much calculated to be impossible given the infinite nature of everything?

I think it's an interesting topic that if you had a machine powerful enough to simulate things on such a scale you'd get similar results. I think that's what people are proposing, if life and consciousness came about randomly within a simulated universe how would it know it was in a simulation

Say in a thousand years we knew most of the laws and conditions that make up the universe at its starting point, added those into a virtual instance and let it just happen it would follow similar pattterns, matter grouping together, stars, galaxies, planets etc

The universe isn't infinte nor time.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2018, 08:47:03 pm »
absolutley correct.

They are neither infinitely big or infinitely divisible.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2018, 04:35:52 am »

We don’t actually know that. It’s just what our best theories suggest at the moment.

What we can observe is finite, but quite clearly there’s a shitload more “stuff” out there that we cannot yet perceive. Think about dark matter and dark energy. All that is is the part (huge amount) of the universe we cannot yet sense using our tools and technology.

Musk’s point is that even that we know that the universe has at least been around for billions of years (and that’s just the part we can perceive). In that time period life probably already occurred and if intelligent life came before us then the progress can be rapid. Whilst it took humans billions of years to evolve into an intelligent life form it’s taken 10-20,000 years to get from hunter gatherer animal to flying planes, building telescopes and thinking about the world this way. Imagine where we’ll be in another 10,000 years. Now imagine if intelligent life occurred in the universe millions of years ago and the power they built up. We’re only just unlocking the power of AI and it’s doing incredible things.

His point is that we might already be that AI, we still have autonomous decisions but the construct of our world might be created. Our overlords and creators might exist in dimensions we cannot perceive - maybe in that “dark” matter portion of the universe.

It’s fascinating! I don’t necessarily believe it, but thinking about it, it could be true, we just don’t know yet. It’s the modern version of an idea of God, but as always when it has come to ideas of  God in human history, it actually highlights what we don’t know about the universe. And that’s a good thing, we’re a pretty curious species, so highlighting unknowns makes us want to go out and try and make them known.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2018, 09:36:45 am »
We don’t actually know that. It’s just what our best theories suggest at the moment.

What we can observe is finite, but quite clearly there’s a shitload more “stuff” out there that we cannot yet perceive. Think about dark matter and dark energy. All that is is the part (huge amount) of the universe we cannot yet sense using our tools and technology.

Musk’s point is that even that we know that the universe has at least been around for billions of years (and that’s just the part we can perceive). In that time period life probably already occurred and if intelligent life came before us then the progress can be rapid. Whilst it took humans billions of years to evolve into an intelligent life form it’s taken 10-20,000 years to get from hunter gatherer animal to flying planes, building telescopes and thinking about the world this way. Imagine where we’ll be in another 10,000 years. Now imagine if intelligent life occurred in the universe millions of years ago and the power they built up. We’re only just unlocking the power of AI and it’s doing incredible things.

His point is that we might already be that AI, we still have autonomous decisions but the construct of our world might be created. Our overlords and creators might exist in dimensions we cannot perceive - maybe in that “dark” matter portion of the universe.

It’s fascinating! I don’t necessarily believe it, but thinking about it, it could be true, we just don’t know yet. It’s the modern version of an idea of God, but as always when it has come to ideas of  God in human history, it actually highlights what we don’t know about the universe. And that’s a good thing, we’re a pretty curious species, so highlighting unknowns makes us want to go out and try and make them known.

It's not infinite mate. It's 16k (With the RAMpack)

:P

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #33 on: November 4, 2018, 08:26:50 am »
It explains Trump and Brexit. Like when on footy manager you'd play it for so long Freddy Adu began managing Northampton Town and Paul Ince was Liverpool chairman.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #34 on: November 4, 2018, 05:49:35 pm »
It explains Trump and Brexit. Like when on footy manager you'd play it for so long Freddy Adu began managing Northampton Town and Paul Ince was Liverpool chairman.

Wait - which version of reality are you in now?

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 4, 2018, 07:09:46 pm »
Wait - which version of reality are you in now?

That's obvious - you're all in my version of reality. I am real and not a simulation myself, therefore the rest of you are just ones and zeroes.

That's the nonsense of the 'we're all in a simulation' theory. If you choose to believe it then nothing exists. There are no physical laws because there is no physical world.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2018, 07:12:55 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #36 on: November 4, 2018, 08:47:18 pm »
That's obvious - you're all in my version of reality. I am real and not a simulation myself, therefore the rest of you are just ones and zeroes.

That's the nonsense of the 'we're all in a simulation' theory. If you choose to believe it then nothing exists. There are no physical laws because there is no physical world.

That's what someone in a simulation would say

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #37 on: November 4, 2018, 08:57:44 pm »
There was a great edition of the Infinite Monkey Cage podcast from last year that discussed this, was really interesting to listen to the arguments for it in a way. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08zb4d8  If anyone wants to listen to it.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 5, 2018, 06:29:59 am »
There was a great edition of the Infinite Monkey Cage podcast from last year that discussed this, was really interesting to listen to the arguments for it in a way. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08zb4d8  If anyone wants to listen to it.

Thanks. I must have missed it. Listening now.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 5, 2018, 09:15:46 am »
Interesting. I’m not sure how I missed it. I agree with the panellist who questioned the premise that simulation leads to consciousness. The proponent kept talking about computation but human consciousness isn’t computational.

It also highlighted the anthropocentric nature of the whole concept. Phil Jupitus asked whether it is all human brains or a single human simulation observing everything. And I thought: what about all of the animals, the birds and insects, the trees and plants, weather, stars and planets... that all impact on my consciousness. 

Human consciousness isn’t just a computational transaction between brains. I’m on a train at the moment, travelling through countryside with thousands of trees, buildings, fences, signs etc. I had a coffee and a sandwich that had mouth-feel, taste, smell... I felt the changing temperature as I moved from inside to outside and a slight, moist breeze with a touch of mist...

I tend to agree with the comment that ‘we’re all living in a sumulation’ is essentially religion for nerds. Like most religion it vastly over-simplifies the world around us to make it fit into a created world with a creation myth and a creator.

And the big question is ‘what’s the point?’  Why would this advanced post-human society be simulating me travelling to Finsbury Park on a soon to be discontinued three-unit train? 

One other good question in the podcast was about the data to create the simulation. I’ve just opened an exhibition on the Anglo-Saxons, a period of hundreds of years commonly known as the dark ages because there’s only fragmentary evidence from those years and what remains is generally about kings, queens and bishops. And there are ancient societies without any written record. Realistically the simulation couldn’t have started more than a few hundred years ago and large parts of humanity (parts of Africa, New Guinea etc) would just be ciphers.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)