Author Topic: Inside No. 9 - BBC2 New series starts 10th May 2021  (Read 53879 times)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Re: Inside No. 9 - BBC2
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2017, 09:14:06 am »
See my post above, I revised to say 2/3rds of the ending ;D

The third you missed was the crucial one though..

Spoiler
It wasn't just someone in the past who died....the fact that it was one of their twins underpins every other single scene in the show...it runs through it like the writing in a bar of rock...yet they still managed to keep it hidden until the closing scene. First rate writing and acting...Shearsmith and Hawes were outstanding
[close]
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2017, 09:23:11 am »
Yes
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2017, 09:34:54 am »
The third you missed was the crucial one though..

Spoiler
It wasn't just someone in the past who died....the fact that it was one of their twins underpins every other single scene in the show...it runs through it like the writing in a bar of rock...yet they still managed to keep it hidden until the closing scene. First rate writing and acting...Shearsmith and Hawes were outstanding
[close]

Exactly - the beauty and craft of the show is all down to that.

Spoiler
Watching it again it's almost up there with 12 Days of Christine. That last shot as it closes in on the photo is fantastic in its simplicity but says so much subliminally.

The photos are arranged symmetrically with Shearsmith in the centre. You see a happy Shearsmith with a baby on his left knee but the other side of the photo is obscured. The two photos either side of the central photo are a colour picture of the daughter on the right, playing and obviously alive and on the left is a black and white close up of a baby's face, presumably the (dead) Joseph. That photo is hiding Shearsmith's other knee.

As the camera pulls in it focuses on the dead babies face and the right knee is gradually exposed showing the twin baby.

The camera moves even closer panning down to his feet and down to the slip on shoes.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2017, 12:32:13 pm »
Spoiler
"Joseph is dead, he died"
"They should be together..."
(she touches his hand and feels, then looks at the blood)
"David, you're bleeding"
"No I'm not..."
"Where did you get that shoe?"
"I went to see Ted..."
"In Norfolk?"
"Yes... In Norfolk... he didn't want to give me it... he said something about me being unreasonable..."
(she looks at the blood on her hand from touching him)
"What did you do?... David... What did you do?..."
"Can't remember..."

Camera slow zoom into the photo of David sitting with one baby on his lap and as it zooms in the second baby appears from behind the picture of the (dead?) baby and finally it zooms into his feet wearing the same shoes.

Final shot - crime scene CCTV of him placing the shoe.

If it's Ted's blood why is it still wet after he's travelled back from Norfolk? He possibly, probably killed Ted, but "they should be together" suggests he's also killed his daughter.

[close]

Thanks for replying Alan, am going to watch it again when I get home.

Incidentally I'm not entirely sure how to do the spoiler thing, can someone let us know, cheers.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2017, 12:45:06 pm »
Exactly - the beauty and craft of the show is all down to that.

Spoiler
Watching it again it's almost up there with 12 Days of Christine. That last shot as it closes in on the photo is fantastic in its simplicity but says so much subliminally. 
[close]

Spoiler
reminded me of the final shot / camera pan onto the photo of Catherine Deneuve as a child in Repulsion....a similarly simple, but loaded moment. Knowing Shearsmith and Pemberton's horror pedigree I'd be surprised if that wasn't one of the influences when scripting it.
[close]
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2017, 04:24:04 pm »
Thanks for replying Alan, am going to watch it again when I get home.

Incidentally I'm not entirely sure how to do the spoiler thing, can someone let us know, cheers.

Spoilers - take out the space after the first square bracket before an after the spoilered text:

[ spoiler]then your text and then[ /spoiler] after
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2017, 07:51:17 pm »
Why was he dressed as a sumo wrestler in the empty orchestra episode?

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2017, 07:59:58 pm »
Why was he dressed as a sumo wrestler in the empty orchestra episode?

Probably because its daft & looks hilarious but he did say something about the shop telling him it was Gangnam Style.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2017, 09:11:45 pm »
Top notch episode.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2017, 06:46:52 am »
staggeringly good episode - immediate 10/10 from me.

the unshown ending as i saw it having played out in my head was obviously too hideous to be anything but implied onscreen, but it worked all the better for it.  and the twin motif... wow.

from eating a slice of arse to brummy karaoke to a very funny yet very moving half hour about a shoe in three episodes.  i can't wait for the next one.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2017, 02:58:34 pm »
Final episode tonight. :(

about last weeks episode

Spoiler
First off, I do understand the episode was about a mental breakdown, grief and loss.

What I can't fully understand, is what David was trying to achieve with the shoe?  It was obviously his own shoe and it served as a plot catalyst. But what i cant understand is why he would plant one outside knowing the other one was in the house somewhere.

David's main goal throughout the episode was to find the owner of the shoe.  If he was trying to find the other shoe to go with the one he found I could understand it more. Like trying to reunite the shoe somehow made up for losing his twin boy.

We saw the picture of him in the shoes at the end.

I'm just a bit confused about the whole shoe thing and why he planted it. Sorry :(

Actually typing this out and reading it back now maybe things make more sense to me.  Was David hoping to reunite his single shoe with someone else who had lost a shoe?  When the guy from Norfolk picked up the shoe David was finally at peace until he discovered it was a setup and he lost the plot again.

How do others see it?  cheers :wave

[close]

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2017, 04:55:37 pm »
Final episode tonight. :(

about last weeks episode

Spoiler
First off, I do understand the episode was about a mental breakdown, grief and loss.

What I can't fully understand, is what David was trying to achieve with the shoe?  It was obviously his own shoe and it served as a plot catalyst. But what i cant understand is why he would plant one outside knowing the other one was in the house somewhere.

David's main goal throughout the episode was to find the owner of the shoe.  If he was trying to find the other shoe to go with the one he found I could understand it more. Like trying to reunite the shoe somehow made up for losing his twin boy.

We saw the picture of him in the shoes at the end.

I'm just a bit confused about the whole shoe thing and why he planted it. Sorry :(

Actually typing this out and reading it back now maybe things make more sense to me.  Was David hoping to reunite his single shoe with someone else who had lost a shoe?  When the guy from Norfolk picked up the shoe David was finally at peace until he discovered it was a setup and he lost the plot again.

How do others see it?  cheers :wave

[close]

I was disinterested in his plight, taking the Keeley Hawes viewpoint that it was only a bloody shoe and he should get over it.
I thought it was a breakdown due to his unemployment, but the big reveal at the end didn't resonate with me as I had sorta mentally checked out of the episode at that stage.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #172 on: March 22, 2017, 12:14:32 am »
And I thought tonight's episode was just great.  Imagine being able to drop in Fiona Shaw and Felicity Kendall into your episode - must be great being Pemberton & Shearsmith.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2017, 09:39:00 am »
Thought it was the weakest episode in all 3 series to be honest.  Didn't do it for me. Thought the jokes were forced and the characters less interesting as any before them.

I liked the Dr Phibes vibe though :)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2017, 03:45:08 pm »
I felt I was one step ahead of that episode all the way through.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2017, 11:27:36 pm »
Spoiler

If it's Ted's blood why is it still wet after he's travelled back from Norfolk? He possibly, probably killed Ted, but "they should be together" suggests he's also killed his daughter.

[close]

Spoiler
Shit, you're right, it didn't occur to me that he killed Sally. I thought it was Ted even though I did question why the blood on his arm hadn't dried up. Oh, that's so sad...
[close]

Need to watch it again.

Consistently one of the best and most interesting things on TV and hasn't dropped in quality since episode one of the first series.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2017, 10:40:13 am »
Spoiler
"Joseph is dead, he died"
"They should be together..."
(she touches his hand and feels, then looks at the blood)
"David, you're bleeding"
"No I'm not..."
"Where did you get that shoe?"
"I went to see Ted..."
"In Norfolk?"
"Yes... In Norfolk... he didn't want to give me it... he said something about me being unreasonable..."
(she looks at the blood on her hand from touching him)
"What did you do?... David... What did you do?..."
"Can't remember..."

Camera slow zoom into the photo of David sitting with one baby on his lap and as it zooms in the second baby appears from behind the picture of the (dead?) baby and finally it zooms into his feet wearing the same shoes.

Final shot - crime scene CCTV of him placing the shoe.

[close]

Spoiler

Sheersmith did a Q&A on Twitter after the shoe episode. A fan asked him about who had been killed at the end. Sheersmith replied with "It was Ted, but the daughter if you want to be darker".

The point with these endings is, to some extent, about letting your imagination run wild...take it to the brink of darkness and back again. If Inside No9 leaves you feeling hollow then the writers have intended that - you've got to fill the void with your own bleak imagination.

[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2017, 07:27:07 pm »
Series 3 has finished but it looks like they are re-running series 2 on BBC2.  Same time tonight 10pm

Its episode 2 tonight "Twelve Days of Christine" and stars Sheridan Smith.

If you haven't seen it, do so.  It's arguably the best episode of all 3 series.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2017, 10:32:43 pm »
Christ that was heavy

And as good as anything I've watched on terrestrial tv in a while

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2017, 10:35:46 pm »
Ah bollocks,  forgot I'd read this was on earlier.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2017, 02:08:13 pm »
Series 3 has finished but it looks like they are re-running series 2 on BBC2.  Same time tonight 10pm

Yep

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2017, 03:22:15 pm »

One of the best episodes of TV... full stop.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: March 29, 2017, 03:29:52 pm »
One of the best episodes of TV... full stop.

What did you think of the last episode of series 3 Al?

Your silence is deafening although you may not have caught up yet.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #183 on: March 29, 2017, 08:43:41 pm »
Preferred the last episode of season 3 to the shoe one. An easy watch whodunit.

Anyway there's not been one I've not enjoyed. I need to find a way to watch the Xmas episode.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: March 29, 2017, 08:54:52 pm »
Preferred the last episode of season 3 to the shoe one. An easy watch whodunit.

Anyway there's not been one I've not enjoyed. I need to find a way to watch the Xmas episode.

Yeah the Xmas one is the only one i'm missing now

Its the nice thing about IN9 I reckon. Horses for courses and different people will like different episodes more than others. :)

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #185 on: April 1, 2017, 01:44:45 am »
the last episode was not the best or cleverest, but was still very funny. loved the kenneth williams lines :lmao
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: April 1, 2017, 06:51:41 am »
Gold is currently showing the first series. Am going to have a sit down and watch a few later, off the top of my head can only remember the one in the cupboard and the thieves one.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: April 1, 2017, 07:58:20 am »
What did you think of the last episode of series 3 Al?

Your silence is deafening although you may not have caught up yet.

Sorry - started writing something but real life got in the way.

I enjoyed it. Not up there with the best it's true but I thought it was a nice homage to classic horror movie tropes.
Spoiler
Disparate characters brought together, the particular nature of the deaths having relevance that gradually becomes clear, one of the 'victims' outed as the killer halfway though changing the mood from 'whodunnit' to 'who's next' and 'who will survive'.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: April 1, 2017, 12:28:18 pm »
Gold is currently showing the first series. Am going to have a sit down and watch a few later, off the top of my head can only remember the one in the cupboard and the thieves one.

Netflix now has the 1st 2 series of this, Psychoville and best of all The League of Gentlemen.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: April 1, 2017, 05:11:04 pm »
Netflix now has the 1st 2 series of this, Psychoville and best of all The League of Gentlemen.

Thank you, I used to watch league of gentlemen but don't think I've seen five minutes of Psychoville.

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #190 on: April 7, 2017, 12:58:54 pm »
That Nana's Party episode was the best one I've seen by far.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: April 7, 2017, 01:18:53 pm »
That Nana's Party episode was the best one I've seen by far.

Is that the one where they hide in the cake?

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #192 on: April 7, 2017, 08:55:28 pm »
Is that the one where they hide in the cake?

Yes it is, it had the right mix of everything. Bit like Empty Orchestra but more funnier moments I felt.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: April 11, 2017, 09:59:03 pm »
Spoiler
test
[close]
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: April 11, 2017, 11:42:38 pm »
Spoiler
test
[close]

Spoiler
it works
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: August 29, 2017, 06:29:39 pm »
Holy Shit!! Finally got around to watching the only episode i hadn't seen "The Devil of Christmas" from series 3.

And what an episode. What an ending too. Dark as FUCK!!!

The whole episode was truly amazing. Filmed in 1970's early 80's style like an episode from 'The Tales of the Unexpected' and acting so (intentionally) bad it was good.

Genius from S&P.  My favourite episode alongside '12 days of Christine' and there were many bloody good ones.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #196 on: September 12, 2017, 07:38:29 pm »
Holy Shit!! Finally got around to watching the only episode i hadn't seen "The Devil of Christmas" from series 3.

And what an episode. What an ending too. Dark as FUCK!!!

The whole episode was truly amazing. Filmed in 1970's early 80's style like an episode from 'The Tales of the Unexpected' and acting so (intentionally) bad it was good.

Genius from S&P.  My favourite episode alongside '12 days of Christine' and there were many bloody good ones.

Is it available legally anywhere?
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2017, 02:33:58 pm »
Is it available legally anywhere?

Just had a snoop about and can't see it anywhere to stream mate.

I got my copy from a torrent from one of the usual places.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2017, 02:47:56 pm »
Reading back through this, I love that everyone has different favourite episodes. It's so varied, yet always so good.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2017, 12:47:50 pm »
I bring wonderful news!!

Series 4 starts on 2nd January 2018, BBC2 10pm

Looks like there are 6 new episodes. Oh my I am so excited for this.

Ep1 - Zanzibar
Inside No. 9, Series 4

A fourth anthology from Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith. A unique mixture of comedy, drama, love, intrigue, ancient curses, industry gossip, room service and murderous intent.

Welcome to London's Hotel Zanzibar,
Our varied guests have travelled from afar.
Proposals, plots and prostitutes combine,
For a Comedy of Errors on floor nine.

A stellar cast appears in this glorious farce set in a luxury hotel. Rory Kinnear, Hattie Morahan, Bill Paterson, Kevin Eldon, Tanya Franks, Marcia Warren, Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton are all hoping to stay the night, while Helen Monks and Jaygann Ayeh play the staff attempting to keep everything under control.