Author Topic: NOW TV  (Read 8425 times)

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
NOW TV
« on: August 29, 2013, 10:33:55 am »
As extortionate as a tenner for just a single day's viewing is, and as much as I am loath(e) to contribute to Sky's bulging pockets in any way, on occasions when something big is on and I can't be where I'd like to be to take it all in due to other commitments or some such, this may well come in handy... if it works.

If BT Sport ever truly sort out their fucking app out on my device, I'll at least have that base covered when need be, and I don't mind so much faffing about with frustrating foreign streams for any Saturday 3pm-ers if I have no other choice (I usually sac it off and just pop the radio on if it's proving that much of a pain in the arse anyway!). It'd be nice though to have something that could be relied upon for the real crunch matches whenever I'm stuck.

I've already determined that the twats simply don't support my (massively popular and UK market-leading) Android tablet for some pathetic reason (and at least I know it before handing over any of my hard-earned), so I may well at times need to use quite an old laptop or netbook (running Windows Vista(!), or XP) to watch it in a browser - is there a way I can test out what it'll be like before buying a day pass? The site mentions Silverlight, so I'll get that set up on everything with the latest updates, etc. but does anyone here use NOW TV already? Have you ever tried it out on older machines, different browsers, etc?

If I can adequately determine that it'd be tolerable on my stuff, I might just splash out every now and then. Any free, similar Silverlight streaming crap out there that I could try it out on later tonight & tomorrow? Not arsed what it is, QVC or 24-hour Latin American soaps or whatever, just wanna experiment.

Any help much appreciated.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NOW TV
« Reply #1 on: September 4, 2013, 12:36:05 pm »
Hello mate,

I've got the film package from Now TV - it was on special offer ages ago and worked out at £12 for 6 months with a few sports passes thrown in too.

Firstly, I share your frustration with the range of devices supported, it's poor at best.  Like you, I ended up using my old(ish) laptop.  I've been experimenting on both Chrome and Firefox, using a usually decent Virgin Media connection (works well for streaming matches etc.) and have found that it has a tendency to buffer every 5 minutes or so.  It never does this for long, and the picture is decent (though not HD), but it can get a bit annoying.

If you check out the Now TV forums (I think they call it 'community') then you'll get a decent idea about how well it works or otherwise. I still think that the overall cost is pretty high and would only pay the full cost in very exceptional circumstance!  If there's a match on sky and I'm not there, I would still opt for a pub over paying £10 for this!

Offline Liveforthereds67

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: September 4, 2013, 01:40:16 pm »
I thought at the time £9.99 was over the top but If you only want to watch our games that Sky show, it's a good fall back if 1, you can't get to a pub or 2 you can't get a good stream. Also if you put that against the cost of a ticket or two for one game then it can be worth it. You will need a speed of over 3.5 meg to get a good clear stream.
YNWA
Twitter @asp67
XBMC TV http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/forum.php

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #3 on: September 4, 2013, 07:15:12 pm »
Ta lads.

I got the newest Silverlight crap all set up on my good old massive screen Vista laptop, and it works beautifully on all the live streaming stuff I've tested it on. The best browser I've found for viewing it through is Chrome, probably because it's nice and pared-down, quick & clean, and I've haven't got loads of extensions running on it. Whether that remains the case with Sky Sports streaming live through it, we'll have to wait and see.

I think I'm gona take the plunge and buy a £10 day pass for the Swansea game, purely because I'll only be home from work just around when it starts, maybe a few minutes in, and getting myself changed and down to a pub or whatever on a Monday night will only mean more of the game missed. I'd likely be spending well over a tenner on typical pisswater pub lager watching it there anyway, so not a huge loss when you think about it - although it would be nice if they offered a cheaper rate for like just a 3-hour pass or something. I can't think of anything else happening around then to make the full 24 hour access useful? :P

Might be an idea to simply set everything up and activate the Sports day pass before I go out that day, and then when I get home it'll (fingers crossed) already be on, ready to just kick back, fresh from the front door. Could even order my eats in on the journey home! ;D

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 4, 2013, 11:00:08 pm »
If you have an xbox with a live gold account you can get the sports day pass on the xbox's Nowtv app, I took advantage of the pass on Sunday to watch both games, better than committing to £60 a month for a year. I've got a Galaxy S4 which has a big screen but couldn't watch a match on me phone  so I haven't tried.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2013, 12:13:20 am by tray fenny »
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Liveforthereds67

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: September 5, 2013, 09:34:20 am »
Ta lads.

I got the newest Silverlight crap all set up on my good old massive screen Vista laptop, and it works beautifully on all the live streaming stuff I've tested it on. The best browser I've found for viewing it through is Chrome, probably because it's nice and pared-down, quick & clean, and I've haven't got loads of extensions running on it. Whether that remains the case with Sky Sports streaming live through it, we'll have to wait and see.

I think I'm gona take the plunge and buy a £10 day pass for the Swansea game, purely because I'll only be home from work just around when it starts, maybe a few minutes in, and getting myself changed and down to a pub or whatever on a Monday night will only mean more of the game missed. I'd likely be spending well over a tenner on typical pisswater pub lager watching it there anyway, so not a huge loss when you think about it - although it would be nice if they offered a cheaper rate for like just a 3-hour pass or something. I can't think of anything else happening around then to make the full 24 hour access useful? :P

Might be an idea to simply set everything up and activate the Sports day pass before I go out that day, and then when I get home it'll (fingers crossed) already be on, ready to just kick back, fresh from the front door. Could even order my eats in on the journey home! ;D

Take a look at this

https://shop.nowtv.com/

For a Tenner you can get it without using a PC/Laptop has to be worth a Tenner. Would be cheaper than the Xbox App
YNWA
Twitter @asp67

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #6 on: September 5, 2013, 11:03:25 am »
^ That'd be useful if you really need to watch it on your TV rather than fiddling 'round a computer, but it looks like they're still gona stick with the 'tenner-per-24-hours' thing for the Sports channels, whichever way you have it, so you'd have to utilise it fairly regularly (and maybe also make good use of that Sky Movies month's-free-trial-then-subscription - I have alternative methods of seeing the films I want ;)) to make it worth the extra Darwin just for the box.

I'd be ideal if they did a 12-hour pass for a fiver! Or else some sort of bulk discount for multiple day passes bought at once, which you can then use when you choose inside 3 months or whatever. But obviously they won't, as the ultimate aim is to get you to sign up to a full contract.

Offline Liveforthereds67

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: September 5, 2013, 11:54:11 am »
I believe that box can have XBMC loaded on to it as well, you would have to look at XBMChub fourms to find out though.
YNWA
Twitter @asp67

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 5, 2013, 01:08:30 pm »
The little box thing looks quite nifty.  Only problem is I don't plan on keeping up a subscription beyond my current offer as £15 is a bit pricey

What's XBMC?!

Haeomoglobin (and  others) - there's an offer on Groupon today for six months access to the movies and one free sports pass for £15 - worth it if you fancy trying it out.  The link is below

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/now-tv/26258865

Offline Liveforthereds67

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: September 5, 2013, 01:46:51 pm »
The little box thing looks quite nifty.  Only problem is I don't plan on keeping up a subscription beyond my current offer as £15 is a bit pricey

What's XBMC?!

Haeomoglobin (and  others) - there's an offer on Groupon today for six months access to the movies and one free sports pass for £15 - worth it if you fancy trying it out.  The link is below

Try these links to find out more on XBMC

http://forum.xbmc.org/index.php

http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/forum.php
YNWA
Twitter @asp67

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #10 on: September 5, 2013, 02:43:14 pm »

Ta - I'm sure that'll be good for someone here, but I've no real use for the Sky Movies part, which is the bulk of the offer. Still, a great deal if you fancy that service.

I'd have bought it in a flash if it was one month of Sky Movies and six Sports day-passes instead though!! ;D

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 01:36:52 pm »
Well, I did this for last night, and I've got to say it's a great option to have available to me; I really can't recommend it enough if you're in a tight spot trying to see a certain game, other than the fact it involves giving money to Sky, obv. Its one big flaw, that.

I've actually got it on right now on mute in the background, watching some 'fantasy football club' toss or other with Carlton Palmer and Paul Merson - I've had it on all through the night, because I'm such a mingebag I refuse to waste a single penny of the 24-hour full Sky Sports access I've paid for. 8)

There was a very sweary few moments last night when I first logged into it, started my pass and kept getting fucking error messages saying I couldn't view the stream. I was absolutely apoplectic when I realised I'd already missed 2 goals by the time I'd got it working... at least until I found out they were both scored before I'd even got home! ;D
If any of you out there have similar problems, mine was fixed by just clearing the browsing history and cache and restarting Chrome, then trying again a couple of times.

It's been absolutely great for like 17 hours straight since then - hardly ever buffering, and when it does, it doesn't skip at all, just starts up again from where it froze. That might mean it's slightly less 'live', but fucking arsed. As long as it's not 10 minutes behind or whatever.

Liking Sky's regular highlights packages, and the Monday Night Football Carra & Neville double act. MOTD really is utter pish.

Offline Raheems Baby Boy

• .....with the emphasis on baby. Wanna be gangsta thinkin' he's a wiseguy.....
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 03:05:30 pm »
Is this only available in the UK?

Offline Liveforthereds67

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 03:25:14 pm »
Is this only available in the UK?

Yes it is but I am sure someone out there has found away around it.
YNWA
Twitter @asp67

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 07:34:29 pm »
On a 30 day trial using my PS3 to access it, its pretty good really.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 08:23:41 pm »
Ah, my pass just ended. I've literally had it on for all 24 hours, lolz... pretty sure I got a few free seconds there and all ;)

Offline Raheems Baby Boy

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 12:16:12 pm »
Had a look around and is not available in Ireland but as said above it obviously can be got.
Has anyone hacked it yet?  the forum I was on the users loved it for its possibilities when hacked

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 07:32:46 am »
Instead of giving money to sky, why not use one of the premium illegal streaming sites?

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 09:58:51 am »
Instead of giving money to sky, why not use one of the premium illegal streaming sites?
I'm afraid they've just never been reliable enough for me, mate.

If it was as dependable (and at short notice) as this is, cheaper, AND meant I didn't have to line Murdoch's pockets, I'd be all over it. Instead, this is something I can fall back on very occasionally when I'm in a pickle and absolutely need to see a game, but don't want to be worrying about my stream being interrupted/unavailable.

Simple fact is, it worked pretty much like a dream for me (after a testy few minutes) for 24 hours, with a regularly crisp picture and hardly any buffering - I've never had that with any other service. Whether you can live with buying something off Sky is up to you to decide.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:00:44 am by Haemogoblin »

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 02:43:41 pm »
I pay £7 for two months and pretty much guaranteed to have any match that's shown on Sky, or BT Sports plus much more. HD too...though not for every game or event. Can't remember a time where I've not been able to watch a game due to a poor stream, especially one of ours. Although i was made sweat for the first three minutes for our game against United having invited a few friends and family over, but was glorious for the rest of the game.

Offline Raheems Baby Boy

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 05:36:56 pm »
Those illegal sites are good and do serve a purpose but they are unreliable and the video quality is good but not great.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 05:56:49 pm »
Those illegal sites are good and do serve a purpose but they are unreliable and the video quality is good but not great.

Maybe you haven't used one of the good ones? Cause in my personal experience they have been both.

So wouldn't it be better to have one of these subscriptions, and then have NOW TV to fall back on in the worst case scenario?

Offline Raheems Baby Boy

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 07:08:14 pm »
There's always buffering, and the picture quality is only good if watching on a laptop.
That's perfectly acceptable, and if I have no other choice, or its not Liverpool it will do.
But give me a 50' TV and gorgeous HD everyday.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 04:21:50 pm »
Just launched the Sky Entertainment part of NOW TV today.  I'm all over it.  For people like me who don't have Sky it's boss, £4.99 intro price.  I've been crying out for a way to watch Sky Atlantic and that since I moved out. 

They also have catch up and are introducing the box sets feature soon. 

http://watch.nowtv.com/entertainment

Offline Liveforthereds67

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 10:56:28 pm »
Just launched the Sky Entertainment part of NOW TV today.  I'm all over it.  For people like me who don't have Sky it's boss, £4.99 intro price.  I've been crying out for a way to watch Sky Atlantic and that since I moved out. 

They also have catch up and are introducing the box sets feature soon. 

http://watch.nowtv.com/entertainment

Be carefull as the price will double or even trebble after a few months. The film package goes upto £16 after 3 months, they won't keep it cheaper than actualy getting sky.
YNWA
Twitter @asp67

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 11:54:56 pm »
Frozen until March 2014 at the least apparently, but will keep an eye on it. 

Would be happy to pay at least a tenner for it.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 07:32:47 pm »
Got one of these Now TV boxes for £9.99.

Signed up for the movies package which has a free 30 day trial, installed Plex to stream from my laptop and it has got some good apps on it, not bad for a tenner.

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 09:05:08 pm »
One of my mates has bought an LG TV and has the option to get the NOW TV Movie Pass for 3 months and 10 Sports day passes and was just wondering do you have to give bank details when you redeem the offer and do they start charging you once the 3 months are up? I'm sure I read on their site that they charge you £8.99 a month after the 3 months.

Offline Cesar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 2, 2014, 04:12:00 pm »
Got one of these Now TV boxes for £9.99.

Signed up for the movies package which has a free 30 day trial, installed Plex to stream from my laptop and it has got some good apps on it, not bad for a tenner.

Can you stream footy sites like LoF through it once plex is installed? Or am I better off with chromecast for that?

Offline Liveforthereds67

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: April 6, 2014, 06:06:27 pm »
One of my mates has bought an LG TV and has the option to get the NOW TV Movie Pass for 3 months and 10 Sports day passes and was just wondering do you have to give bank details when you redeem the offer and do they start charging you once the 3 months are up? I'm sure I read on their site that they charge you £8.99 a month after the 3 months.

They will only charge if you don't cancel. So if you don't want to pay tell them before the end of your free period.
YNWA
Twitter @asp67

Offline Mactavish

• Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2016, 09:18:59 am »
Hearing good things about Plex on the Now TV box. HD quality streams for everything that we shouldn't be allowed to watch.

Has anybody got this?

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2016, 12:08:51 pm »
no excuse on the film package not to be using the free sites....they are generally very good quality.

i understand the football streams arent the best but in my experience they are becoming more reliable at least.
you just need to take the time to know which ones are the best.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2016, 12:55:48 pm »
Hearing good things about Plex on the Now TV box. HD quality streams for everything that we shouldn't be allowed to watch.

Has anybody got this?
Yes, wouldn't recommend my provider though. Plenty out there on FB

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
Now TV sports pass for mobile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2018, 03:33:14 pm »
Only 5.99 for a month, any way to watch it on my telly? Its a mobile pass that gets you some sky sports channels on the mobile app.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Now TV sports pass for mobile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2018, 03:38:33 pm »
Only 5.99 for a month, any way to watch it on my telly? Its a mobile pass that gets you some sky sports channels on the mobile app.

Spend an extra £10 - £20 and you could have the lot for a year,you can use most of the iptv apps on both phone and tv
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2018, 04:10:25 pm »
Spend an extra £10 - £20 and you could have the lot for a year,you can use most of the iptv apps on both phone and tv

I have thought about it, but I'd need somebody to hand hold me through it and explain things to me as though I'm a six year old.  So many questions such as what's the best one to get? , how do I get it on my firestick?, what's the best value VPN?, how do I get that on my firestick, etc, etc.

So for now if anybody knows if I could watch the mobile pass on my phone (easily), let ius know.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2018, 05:47:39 pm »
I have thought about it, but I'd need somebody to hand hold me through it and explain things to me as though I'm a six year old.  So many questions such as what's the best one to get? , how do I get it on my firestick?, what's the best value VPN?, how do I get that on my firestick, etc, etc.

So for now if anybody knows if I could watch the mobile pass on my phone (easily), let ius know.

We will get you sorted out later mate.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2018, 05:58:58 pm »
Ta mate

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 06:42:45 pm »
Wouldn't it just be a case of downloading the NOW TV app from the app store or play store, and logging in? Whatever you have subscribed to will be available to watch.

To cast to your TV would depend on your phone and TV really. Or having a device that you can cast to. I have a firestick and can cast to that from my Samsung phone as my TV isn't a smart TV.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 06:43:52 pm »

Most IPTV providers have step by step tutorials or YouTube videos showing exactly what to do.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT