Author Topic: Sefton Park  (Read 126313 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sefton Park
« Reply #440 on: April 1, 2021, 07:11:25 am »
I sympathise with your stance, I hate inconsiderate littering bastards too, but I hardly think the answer to this country's problems is giving bizzies more power. Not that I know what the answer is, but I know it's not that.

They don't need to give them more power though. Littering can be dealt with by an £80 fixed penalty or you can be prosecuted and fined up to £2500. According to the keep Britain tidy website littering cleanup costs £1 billion a year, so it's about time heavy fines were dished out to the likes of the ones who litter parks and beaches. I'd rather see the money spent on mental health and helping victims of abuse than cleaning up after tramps
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #441 on: April 1, 2021, 10:45:26 am »
They don't need to give them more power though. Littering can be dealt with by an £80 fixed penalty or you can be prosecuted and fined up to £2500. According to the keep Britain tidy website littering cleanup costs £1 billion a year, so it's about time heavy fines were dished out to the likes of the ones who litter parks and beaches. I'd rather see the money spent on mental health and helping victims of abuse than cleaning up after tramps
This is it really. The powers are already there. As you say; there is already an £80 fixed penalty for littering, and if it goes to court and successful prosecution the fine can be up to £2,500. The problem is that there is no one around to actually enforce those powers. The police have far bigger fish to fry, but there is no one else there issuing fines, so it becomes a free-for-all without fear of consequence.

With places such as the park, maybe the council need to employ some enforcement officers and get them out there for a time, come down hard on those who leave a real mess, fine them then publicise the fact so the message starts getting through. Once you put potential consequence into people's minds it can promote a change of behaviour. Of course, the out and out scumbag will make a mess anyway, but much of the problem is with the lazy and thoughtless rather than the outright scumbag.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2021, 10:51:34 am by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #442 on: April 1, 2021, 03:36:11 pm »
Just seen a group of teenage girls picking up every bit of their litter and putting it in a bin bag. As they were walking away one of them seen that they'd left a crisp packet and went back for it. Good parents I reckon . No bizzies , no wardens just good parenting.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: April 1, 2021, 04:00:08 pm »
Just seen a group of teenage girls picking up every bit of their litter and putting it in a bin bag. As they were walking away one of them seen that they'd left a crisp packet and went back for it. Good parents I reckon . No bizzies , no wardens just good parenting.

Spot on mate. My kids have been brought up to know you don't drop litter.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: April 1, 2021, 07:22:50 pm »
Spot on mate. My kids have been brought up to know you don't drop litter.

If I ever did drop even a chewit wrapper on the floor my parents would let me know alright.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: April 1, 2021, 08:41:37 pm »

How about people dressed like clowns and walking up to the litter people and start acting silly and blowing a whistle or a using one of those old horns we had on bikes when we were kids. I reckon that'll far more effective.

Good God mate, no.  Clowns?  I just want them to act more responsibly, not traumatise the poor fuckers. ;D

It is important to remember that it's pointless having bins if they're not being emptied often enough and regularly enough.  I've seen plenty of instances where trash has piled up by bins, and then it gets dispersed the the elements, birds, rats, foxes etc. Some people do try to be responsible - but if you find the bins are full, you should take your rubbish home.  It's not rocket science.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #446 on: April 1, 2021, 09:58:28 pm »
Good God mate, no.  Clowns?  I just want them to act more responsibly, not traumatise the poor fuckers. ;D

It is important to remember that it's pointless having bins if they're not being emptied often enough and regularly enough.  I've seen plenty of instances where trash has piled up by bins, and then it gets dispersed the the elements, birds, rats, foxes etc. Some people do try to be responsible - but if you find the bins are full, you should take your rubbish home.  It's not rocket science.

What with John Wayne Gacy and IT clowns rightly get a bad press for being scary fuckers.

I think one of the problems is that waste bin provision in public parks was decided over 20 years ago. in the intervening period picnics have evolved into medieval banquets and ten years of austerity have reduced the effectiveness of waste removal.

But yeah, dead simple. Take your litter home with you, you degenerate tramps!

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: April 2, 2021, 12:02:41 am »

It happened to me years ago .  I was left so traumatised by it all that when I start speaking about it I forget to use full stops.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: April 26, 2021, 12:21:54 am »
Roll up , roll up the magical mystery experiment is here .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: April 26, 2021, 10:01:21 am »
Your petri dish awaits! :D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: April 26, 2021, 11:12:46 am »
One effect of the pandemic I was happy to live with was the fact those of of us who live around the north end of the park haven't had to put up with festivals, concerts etc for the last year.

The noise, the vandalism, the violence, the moronic hordes of pissed-up gobshites. Hundreds of fellas and women pissing (and worse) in the woods. Idiots parking across drives. The area is simply not designed to cope with this influx of people, yet here we go again. Another concert on the review field, and in a bloody pandemic too.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #451 on: April 29, 2021, 10:20:58 pm »
It's part of the government's trials for crowds to return to events.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: April 29, 2021, 11:00:25 pm »
It's part of the government's trials for crowds to return to events.

Oh, I know. It's just a return to the chaos we have to put up with for local residents though.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: April 30, 2021, 12:07:44 am »
So is it a free for all this weekend or do people have to be tested before hand etc?

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: April 30, 2021, 12:21:50 am »
So is it a free for all this weekend or do people have to be tested before hand etc?
It's a non-socially distanced and no mask event but you have to live in the Liverpool city region and provide proof of a negative covid test to get in.

It's sold out now, and will be held in a massive 'Big Top' style tent which they've been constructing all week. Looking at the multiple fences they have around it there will be no chance of anyone bunking in at all. They've had dog handlers there all week too. From what I've read, there will be 5,000 people in the audience.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #455 on: April 30, 2021, 08:34:52 am »
so a human petri dish if you will

so all ages and healths too? or just fit young people because what's the point of that...
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: April 30, 2021, 09:13:19 am »
so a human petri dish if you will

so all ages and healths too? or just fit young people because what's the point of that...

Should seed the event with some of those aul fellas you see in the shops with the mask only covering their mouths with their beaky noses on show. That would be a statistically valid test. ;)

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: April 30, 2021, 03:14:26 pm »
It's a non-socially distanced and no mask event but you have to live in the Liverpool city region and provide proof of a negative covid test to get in.

It's sold out now, and will be held in a massive 'Big Top' style tent which they've been constructing all week. Looking at the multiple fences they have around it there will be no chance of anyone bunking in at all. They've had dog handlers there all week too. From what I've read, there will be 5,000 people in the audience.

Ah ok, well good to know they are all having negative tests before hand. Yeah saw the tent go up last week, thought the circus was in town.

I'm the same, I haven't missed the crowds, the noise, mess and cars blocking driveways, but I'm turning more miserable with age  ;D

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: May 1, 2021, 11:28:22 pm »
thought the circus was in town.

You are spot on . Any big top with clowns in is deffo a circus.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: May 2, 2021, 12:31:45 pm »
Blue Monday by New Order just being soundchecked in the park. 😎

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: May 2, 2021, 02:15:29 pm »
Blue Monday by New Order just being soundchecked in the park. 😎

Has it started to rain yet?

After all it's a Bank Holiday. :D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: May 2, 2021, 02:43:57 pm »
Has it started to rain yet?

After all it's a Bank Holiday. :D
There was a shower not long ago and the sky is looking very threatening over North Wales and south Wirral. It looks to be heading this way too.

At least the show is inside a giant tent though.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: May 2, 2021, 02:52:38 pm »
There was a shower not long ago and the sky is looking very threatening over North Wales and south Wirral. It looks to be heading this way too.

At least the show is inside a giant tent though.

That just reminded me we got caught bunking into the circus tent at Garston Park when we were about eight. Seeing how unsympathetic adults were in the 50/60s I'm surprised they didn't feed us to the lions for the entertainment of the fee paying public.

Even worse, set the clowns on us :o.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: May 2, 2021, 02:57:31 pm »
That just reminded me we got caught bunking into the circus tent at Garston Park when we were about eight. Seeing how unsympathetic adults were in the 50/60s I'm surprised they didn't feed us to the lions for the entertainment of the fee paying public.

Even worse, set the clowns on us :o.
Arrgh!! Not the clowns. 😱

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: May 2, 2021, 03:00:18 pm »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: May 2, 2021, 11:52:09 pm »

I could make an exception in her case.  :-*

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: May 3, 2021, 09:34:44 am »
Really good that. Not a massive fan of the Blossoms, but they were excellent. The two supporting acts were a bit shite tbf, but who cares, back having a bevy with thousands listening to live music again. Enjoyed the venue, much better that the massive ones they previously have had at the park and ye not stood in the elements. Fosters or Strongbow for the only pints needs swerving!
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: May 3, 2021, 02:09:01 pm »
Really good that. Not a massive fan of the Blossoms, but they were excellent. The two supporting acts were a bit shite tbf, but who cares, back having a bevy with thousands listening to live music again. Enjoyed the venue, much better that the massive ones they previously have had at the park and ye not stood in the elements. Fosters or Strongbow for the only pints needs swerving!

So a choice between piss and fizzy piss then. ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: May 3, 2021, 04:33:00 pm »
It made a refreshing change last night. Living right next door, we usually dread these events on the park due to the congestion, the noise, the violence and vandalism, but last night seemed well run and stewarded and those attending seemed to come and go without causing the usual chaos. The usual gang of scumbags who normally turn up and hang around outside causing trouble were absent also.

I'm glad those who went seem to have really enjoyed it.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: July 14, 2021, 02:13:54 am »
A heads-up for dog walkers using the park currently. The lake is closed due to toxic blue-green algae. Thing is, warning signs are small and easily missed. We saw a dog go into the water today, and this stuff can be deadly. Fishing is currently banned too, although one fella had also missed the small notices and had set up his gear.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #470 on: July 14, 2021, 01:17:51 pm »
A heads-up for dog walkers using the park currently. The lake is closed due to toxic blue-green algae. Thing is, warning signs are small and easily missed. We saw a dog go into the water today, and this stuff can be deadly. Fishing is currently banned too, although one fella had also missed the small notices and had set up his gear.
Isn't that the same issue that caused the lake's closure in August of last year?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: July 14, 2021, 02:11:32 pm »
Didn't they build some islands on the lakes awhile back to try and deal with the algae problems? They've been covered in this gunk for months!

Popcorn's Art

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #472 on: July 14, 2021, 02:58:01 pm »
Didn't they build some islands on the lakes awhile back to try and deal with the algae problems? They've been covered in this gunk for months!
I've only been in the park three or four times since last year, but every time I've been that gunk has been there, like a film over those islands and the edges of the water.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: July 14, 2021, 10:00:21 pm »
Isn't that the same issue that caused the lake's closure in August of last year?
Quite possibly. I know it's happened a number of times over the years, and in other Liverpool park lakes too. It's nasty stuff.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: July 14, 2021, 10:15:53 pm »
They put a new raft-style island in next to the real island at the north end of the big lake. That was last year, and it's growing really well now. I don't know if or how it would help with algae growth though.

There was a really bad blanket weed problem a few years ago, but that seems ok now. This blue-green algae is horrible. The water has green stuff suspended in it, and the edge of the lake that has the wind blowing onto it has a bluey-green scum along the bank.

I know in summer in particular there can be a film on the surface of the water. I tend to put that down to really big flocks of geese preening. I was watching them recently and they spend ages coating their feathers with oil from their preen glands. This might have nothing to do with it at all, but it was my little theory. It reminded me of when people on holiday put loads of oil on before going in the pool. It leaves a residue on the water, hence why a lot of hotels ask you to shower it off before entering the pool now.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: July 14, 2021, 10:31:55 pm »
Think the film on the water is more pollen from the grass and trees.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: July 14, 2021, 10:35:33 pm »
Think the film on the water is more pollen from the grass and trees.

I imagine you are correct there. There is so much stuff in the air in summer.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: July 14, 2021, 10:37:34 pm »

Walked around the lake yesterday for the first time in a few years and I was shocked how bad the lake looked - Caldies lake seems OK by comparison.

I was up in Ambleside last week and it looks like Windermere is starting to suffer from blue/green algae as well.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: July 14, 2021, 10:55:08 pm »
Walked around the lake yesterday for the first time in a few years and I was shocked how bad the lake looked - Caldies lake seems OK by comparison.

I was up in Ambleside last week and it looks like Windermere is starting to suffer from blue/green algae as well.

We went around it on Tuesday and the south end of the lake looked awful. Full of bluey-green slime.

Ah, I do love the Lake District. Funny enough, I've not been in summertime. I've always gone in winter. I didn't know the LD had issues with this algae, but after a quick Google it seems they have done on a number of occasions.

Hope you enjoyed Ambleside. Lovely place.  :)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: July 15, 2021, 04:41:32 pm »
We went around it on Tuesday and the south end of the lake looked awful. Full of bluey-green slime.

Ah, I do love the Lake District. Funny enough, I've not been in summertime. I've always gone in winter. I didn't know the LD had issues with this algae, but after a quick Google it seems they have done on a number of occasions.

Hope you enjoyed Ambleside. Lovely place.  :)

Our son married a girl from Ambleside 20 years ago. Every time we visit it's either overcast or raining. This time the sun came out and it was beautiful.

When I was in Sefton Park I visited the Palm House which has recently celebrated it's 125th anniversary since opening and its 20th since it was refurbished.

And, driving along Park Road whilst simultaneously avoiding the pot holes, noticed that St Patrick's has recently celebrated its 200th anniversary.