Author Topic: Sefton Park  (Read 126710 times)

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
Re: Sefton Park
« Reply #320 on: May 26, 2019, 06:02:59 pm »
How they chirp.

Best part of the world this time of year.

It's so healing .

;D
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #321 on: May 27, 2019, 01:20:20 am »

;D

Nice one.

Didn't realise I was up that late. No wonder I was fucked today.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: May 28, 2019, 10:42:40 pm »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: June 7, 2019, 08:06:47 am »
I miss Sefton park. I’m back in Liverpool in July for 6 days and it’s very likely the first place I will go to!
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #325 on: June 7, 2019, 07:08:23 pm »
I miss Sefton park. I’m back in Liverpool in July for 6 days and it’s very likely the first place I will go to!

I drove down from Halewood yesterday past Allerton Towers (a little hidden gem) and then Caldies.

Liverpool has some wonderful parks.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: June 9, 2019, 09:21:46 pm »
Them trees going from the Palm House to the Glen just don't look right for this time of year. They get the sun to from about 8am til sunset this time of year . Sitting outside ours right now and they look fucked.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: June 30, 2019, 04:20:06 am »
How they chirp... it's so healing .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #328 on: July 6, 2019, 07:54:47 pm »
I drove down from Halewood yesterday past Allerton Towers (a little hidden gem) and then Caldies.

Liverpool has some wonderful parks.

It certainly does, the most outside London I believe, including 'The Mystery' (Wavertree Playground) given the affectionate nick name as it was given to the city in 1895 by an anonymous well wisher. Later it was discovered that person being being Philip H Holt... but the nickname stuck! Lovely park, Newsham Park has improved over the years as well, some great play areas for the children, and a nice little cafe now too!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: July 8, 2019, 03:34:14 pm »
It certainly does, the most outside London I believe, including 'The Mystery' (Wavertree Playground) given the affectionate nick name as it was given to the city in 1895 by an anonymous well wisher. Later it was discovered that person being being Philip H Holt... but the nickname stuck! Lovely park, Newsham Park has improved over the years as well, some great play areas for the children, and a nice little cafe now too!

When I was a small child we'd get the 85 bus from Mill Street, get off at Aigburth Vale and walk through Otterspool Park to the Prom. I'd run ahead to get under the bridge in the hope that a train would run overhead. I'd amuse myself by shouting just to hear the echo.

Another hidden gem or was when I was four.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: July 8, 2019, 10:05:45 pm »
I'd amuse myself by shouting just to hear the echo.

My kids still do this every week. Great bridge for echo that.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #331 on: July 9, 2019, 12:24:51 pm »
When I was a small child we'd get the 85 bus from Mill Street, get off at Aigburth Vale and walk through Otterspool Park to the Prom. I'd run ahead to get under the bridge in the hope that a train would run overhead. I'd amuse myself by shouting just to hear the echo.

Don't what it is with Otterspool Park, but it gives me weird vibes. Maybe to do with the fact that when I was a kid it was full of weird blokes in the bushes, mattresses and abandoned toilet blocks. Not like that now though, but still feels strange down there.

The Prom is amazing though. Always nice for a cycle down to the Pierhead, and a BBQ when the weathers nice.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: July 9, 2019, 01:18:46 pm »

Don't what it is with Otterspool Park, but it gives me weird vibes. Maybe to do with the fact that when I was a kid it was full of weird blokes in the bushes, mattresses and abandoned toilet blocks. Not like that now though, but still feels strange down there.

The Prom is amazing though. Always nice for a cycle down to the Pierhead, and a BBQ when the weathers nice.

Are you getting confused with the Dogger's Lane (and renowned fly tip) that ran parellel to the Park?

And the Gent's toilets at the Prom were a well known cottaging resort!

Wasn't like that when I was a Kid in the 1950s. I blame all this sexual liberation malarkey and people smoking reefers and wearing kaftans.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: July 12, 2019, 11:24:31 pm »

To cap it all, there is at least one big Pike in the big lake, and I know from my fishing days how greedy they can be too.
There was a time when I could probably tell you exactly what fish were in the lake and the ratio mate. Including the Golden Orfe. Me and my mates fished day and night.

There was always pike and a lad spent his days spinning for them, one catch and the ensuing fight was worth his wait.
My best fish was a 5.5lb Common Carp beauty.

In terms of your worry about stock levels I'm way out of touch. We never use to see Herons and if Cormorants are present now that's another new threat. But fish survive, there will be thousands of them even though I'm not even sure of the condition of the lake - what's the weed situation like?

Only this week me and my mates have reminisced about the park in our whatsapp group.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #334 on: July 12, 2019, 11:50:26 pm »
There was a time when I could probably tell you exactly what fish were in the lake and the ratio mate. Including the Golden Orfe. Me and my mates fished day and night.

There was always pike and a lad spent his days spinning for them, one catch and the ensuing fight was worth his wait.
My best fish was a 5.5lb Common Carp beauty.

In terms of your worry about stock levels I'm way out of touch. We never use to see Herons and if Cormorants are present now that's another new threat. But fish survive, there will be thousands of them even though I'm not even sure of the condition of the lake - what's the weed situation like?

Only this week me and my mates have reminisced about the park in our whatsapp group.

I'm not sure about the weed on the lake at the moment. The dog is getting older now so when we walk him we haven't been getting as far as the big lake recently. Cormorants have been on the big lake for at least a few years now. I also see them flying over the park from our window. One day I was over there I saw a group of them feeding by the island and others drying their wings stood on the posts that support the chain across the lake. The Little Grebe population has really flourished too.

I was surprised to see the Pike in there. I didn't know they'd been stocked. On some still, warm and sunny days you will see lots of really big Carp basking around the banks.
Funny enough, I've never fished the parks. I come from the north end, so we always fished the Leeds-Liverpool canal. In recent years I've fished it, but up in Maghull, Lydiate and by the Saracen's Head pub in West Lancs. The Cormorants have also been targeting the canal and commercial fisheries up that way for a good while now.

Back to the park, and there are some nice Koi Carp in the smaller lake with the fountains by the bandstand.

Wildlife. Don't you just love it.  8)

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: July 13, 2019, 12:40:23 am »

there are some nice Koi Carp in the smaller lake with the fountains by the bandstand.

That's something else I didn't know mate, they must have been introduced in the last 10-20 years because there was nothing outside of the big lake back in the day.

It's remarkable what casual visitors to that wonderful park are unaware of.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: July 13, 2019, 12:59:14 am »
That's something else I didn't know mate, they must have been introduced in the last 10-20 years because there was nothing outside of the big lake back in the day.

It's remarkable what casual visitors to that wonderful park are unaware of.

Yes, they were. All the fish were taken out and the lakes drained back in 2008. I remember it. They dug all the silt out of the smaller lakes at the northern end of the park with a digger, then refilled them with water. They were supposed to dredge out the main lake too, but although it was drained, I think they ran out of money, so just refilled it again. I remember the shite that was in there. A few cracked safes too.  :o

I just found this piece online about the restocking of the lake with fish.  https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/fisherman-angling-return-sefton-park-3452762

Those Koi are really nice. One day I saw them swimming with a big, fat Common Carp. You see some visitors surprised to see them and also the Ring-necked parakeets.  :)

Since the refurb I remember there was a big blanket weed problem in the main lake for at least one or two summers. There was some concern about it but they said it should settle down in time and I think it has now.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/blanket-weed-blights-liverpools-newly-3450343
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 01:03:56 am by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: July 13, 2019, 09:19:26 am »
Weed has plagued the lake on and off for decades. It got to a stage where it was impossible to fish even if you dredged a casting line.

Here's something of interest you might not know. When they drain the lake, they do it via a valve close to the old landing stage and the water comes out in Otterspool Park. If you go through Otterspool Park gates and do an immediate U turn to the left off the path you'll see a little tunnel where it comes out :)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: July 13, 2019, 11:17:55 am »
Weed has plagued the lake on and off for decades. It got to a stage where it was impossible to fish even if you dredged a casting line.

Here's something of interest you might not know. When they drain the lake, they do it via a valve close to the old landing stage and the water comes out in Otterspool Park. If you go through Otterspool Park gates and do an immediate U turn to the left off the path you'll see a little tunnel where it comes out :)

That water pipe must be pretty deep when you consider all the road widening works that have taken place around Aigburth Vale since Victorian times.

And that tunnel sounds just like something out of IT.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: July 16, 2019, 01:18:12 am »
The peace was shattered at the north end of the park about half an hour ago. A major police chase going on. I've never seen so many assorted police vehicles tearing around. Helicopter above too. They all tore down Ullet Road towards the Dingle.

Oh, here we go again. Sirens everywhere just now too. Someone's been naughty. 😒

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: July 16, 2019, 10:09:15 am »
Best Park in the north west comp,

http://www.fieldsintrust.org/best-park/north-west  all in there, in alphabetical order.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: August 5, 2019, 10:26:37 am »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #342 on: August 5, 2019, 10:43:59 am »

That's great Tsar though sadly it's probably only old sods of our generation who would do that sort of thing anymore.

Back in the early 60's when I was around 8 my Dad made me a model yacht out of some pieces of an old mahogany table, it was a labour of love for him and took him about a year to carve the hull out and it seemed enormous at the time, and we used to sometimes go on a Sunday to the boat pond at Newsham to sail it. The place would usually be packed with fella's and their kids sailing their creations across the pond.

Some of them were quite magnificent models of things like Tea Clippers and Navy destroyers and wouldn't look out of place in the maritime museum. I assume the builders were or had been possibly shipbuilders apprentices at some stage.

Sadly though, things seem to have changed since those days for younger kids and I saw there had been a stabbing just the other day at Newsham by the old boat pond.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: August 5, 2019, 06:55:44 pm »

I often used to watch them, at just about this same spot too, but never got nearer to the art than floating lolly ice sticks down the gutter after a downpour. Don't think they were mahogany though.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: August 5, 2019, 07:43:21 pm »
When I was about 5 I moithered my dad into making me a warship.

He was an electrical engineer and no shipwright but the wooden destroyer had a pointed hull, something of a superstructure and gun turrets with dowelling guns. The big plus was that the gun turrets swivelled and it was painted battleship grey.

It didn't make Sefton Park but was launched in a puddle on the nearest bomb site.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: September 12, 2019, 02:32:23 am »
Boss Moon tonight .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #346 on: September 15, 2019, 07:24:17 pm »
Talking of fish in the lake, witnessed a lad catch a very decent carp just yesterday. At least 15lb at a guess.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: September 15, 2019, 11:56:53 pm »
Talking of fish in the lake, witnessed a lad catch a very decent carp just yesterday. At least 15lb at a guess.
That's very interesting Liv, I've never known such a large fish in Sefton Park. If anyone hears any news on social media or sees photo's please let us know.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: September 16, 2019, 12:44:04 am »
There are some very big carp in Sefton Park lake. On some summer days you can see big groups of them either basking at the surface in the sun or feeding near the banks. I saw a big common carp swimming with the Koi carp in the smaller lake around the bandstand too.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: January 1, 2020, 04:41:46 am »
And how they are hooting tonight. 

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: January 1, 2020, 08:46:32 pm »
And how they are hooting tonight.
I did a late night walk around the whole park two nights ago. Between midnight and 1am. Plenty of Tawny Owls could be heard in the woods. I had a little encounter with a fox on Croxteth Drive too. S/he stood there looking at me, while I stood there looking at him/her. Beautiful. Looked in great condition too.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: January 3, 2020, 03:00:44 pm »
I did a late night walk around the whole park two nights ago. Between midnight and 1am. Plenty of Tawny Owls could be heard in the woods. I had a little encounter with a fox on Croxteth Drive too. S/he stood there looking at me, while I stood there looking at him/her. Beautiful. Looked in great condition too.

I had a moment with an owl two years ago. Was in my kitchen and heard one and thought... kin ell thats a bit close. I looks out my kitchen window and it's right in the tree outside about 15ft away. We held eachothers gaze for a few minutes.  Pure intamacy with an animal like that is an amazing experience . Possibly some shamanic stuff going down too.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: January 3, 2020, 05:32:23 pm »
Sefton Park is to get an Urban Green Floating Island, I’m not sure when it will start.

The project is targeted at research into the potential of green and blue infrastructure solutions to resolve urban problems and in particular those associated with the predicted impacts of future climate change.

The island at Sefton Park will be a 25m2 vegetated floating island in the northern right corner of the main lake close to the entry point of the nutrient-rich Greenbank tributary.

The island will be designed so that its surface blocks out sunlight from reaching algae within the water column beneath it and the roots of the planted vegetation on the island surface will hang in the water column and directly absorb some of the excess nutrients from the park lake.  This combination of reducing light stimulation for algal growth and removing excess nutrient loading within the park lake will, in turn, help to reduce the likelihood of toxic algal blooms which have previously adversely affected the Lake.

The island will be anchored in position with a natural appearance and host a number of species of reeds and colourful pollinator plants; adding to the site’s biodiversity whilst still being fully in keeping with the immediate environment within this Grade 1 heritage listed park.  Peripheral strongly scented planting mixes, together with discreet fencing will help to deter nuisance bird species.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: January 4, 2020, 03:09:19 am »
I had a moment with an owl two years ago. Was in my kitchen and heard one and thought... kin ell thats a bit close. I looks out my kitchen window and it's right in the tree outside about 15ft away. We held eachothers gaze for a few minutes.  Pure intamacy with an animal like that is an amazing experience . Possibly some shamanic stuff going down too.

Mate I read your posts and I wish I could be more like you. You're a proper inspiration, keep doing what you la

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: January 4, 2020, 12:28:52 pm »
Mate I read your posts and I wish I could be more like you. You're a proper inspiration, keep doing what you la

Cheers. Iam just being meself mate. Nowt really to it. If you really want to connect with nature go tree hugging  ;D Not only you directly connecting with our mother earth it also teaches you not to give a fuck what people think of you  :wave

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: January 4, 2020, 06:25:24 pm »

Sounds like a lovely moment.  :)

Bonus point if you can tell me what film my owl gif is from.  :thumbup

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: January 4, 2020, 06:36:11 pm »
Cheers. Iam just being meself mate. Nowt really to it. If you really want to connect with nature go tree hugging  ;D Not only you directly connecting with our mother earth it also teaches you not to give a fuck what people think of you  :wave

Haha..

I remember when I was doing my counselling diploma. We had to do a couple residential weekends away over at Burton Manor, near Neston on the  Wirral/Cheshire border. A beautiful mansion once owned by William Gladstone.

Anyway, one night we all sat in a circle around this absolutely amazing, massive tree. You know, so old it had seen such a lot of history go on around it. It was lovely, and lots of tree-hugging took place. as you said, it sort of connects you with something bigger than yourself and your own life struggles, and yes, you learn to not give a crap about what others think of you too.  :)

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #357 on: January 4, 2020, 06:59:44 pm »
I had a coffee in the cafe a couple of months ago and sat there till about 5pm.
It was light when I went in and dark when I came out and the whole park was pitch black. I’d never been in before apart from when the lights were on the water earlier on in the year
I used to drive from Park Road to Mossley Hill for work everyday at 0530 and seen so many foxes around Sefton Park. Amazing animals.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: January 4, 2020, 07:41:15 pm »

Sounds like a lovely moment.  :)

Bonus point if you can tell me what film my owl gif is from.  :thumbup

I dont know.

The other half of my owl story is .....   After awhile of staring my human side got the better of me so I goes to get my phone to film it . When I gets back to my window the owl drops a big shit , looks at me then flies off.

Owl - 1
Human - 0.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: January 4, 2020, 07:44:49 pm »
I had a coffee in the cafe a couple of months ago and sat there till about 5pm.
It was light when I went in and dark when I came out and the whole park was pitch black. I’d never been in before apart from when the lights were on the water earlier on in the year
I used to drive from Park Road to Mossley Hill for work everyday at 0530 and seen so many foxes around Sefton Park. Amazing animals.

Yep, there are quite a lot of foxes around the park. We used to have them come into the grounds of the flat every night. Our now dearly departed terrier would spot it from the window and let us know by wagging his tail. We'd then watch it feed on the food people had left out for it. Sometimes we'd see two adults together. Once we also saw them with pups too, which was amazing.

They seem to have a nightly routine where they visit a number of locations such as gardens, grounds, bins around the park etc. Plenty of locals also seem to have little specs where they leave food out for them.

The park is great for anyone who enjoys wildlife. In winter you can get Blue Tits, Great Tits and Robins to take seeds straight out of your hand. The Ring Necked Parakeets are always a good sight all year round too. Some very big carp in the lake too, though you only really get to see them when basking in the summer sun.

Funny you mention Park Road. One night I'd had a few in town and decided to walk back to Sefton Park. Sadly, I came across a fox at the kerb on Park Road that had been hit by a car. There was nothing I could for it, it was already dead. I moved it to a grassy area with trees so it didn't get hit again. They get everywhere these days. A while back I'd been to a friend's place one night and was driving down South Road in Waterloo. Now that's busy day and night, but happy as Larry, there was a fox walking down the road.  :)