Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 865151 times)

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #8320 on: December 13, 2021, 08:43:07 pm »
Anybody else get really bad signal with Three? Recently switched to them from Voda an seriously regretting it. Anytime I am indoors its a pain in the arse getting a decent signal.

Three's 4g is abysmal, I often find myself restricting my phone to 3g to get better speeds.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #8321 on: December 14, 2021, 10:29:28 am »
Yeah, I don’t see any real advantage in using 5 G at the moment. We have full networks here in HK, but I don’t really know that many people actually using it. Since they implemented hard download limits a few years ago, not many people use mobile data plans for home use anymore. Most are now on fibre optic at home.

There really isn’t a use case for 5G at all IMO.

Precisely.

Using mobile data for heavy downloads or ultra high def streaming is not really viable due to data caps.

Most people who do a lot of downloading, 4K streaming or online gaming have fibre/broadband connections at home. Doesn't make sense to use mobile data for such purposes.

I personally only use mobile data when I am commuting. 4G is more than fast enough for the odd youtube video, light browsing or social media. 

5G is essentially overkill. And it will take a while for 5G to match 4G in terms of coverage. Buying a new phone just for 5G is a waste imho.

Phuk yoo

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8322 on: December 16, 2021, 09:15:56 pm »
I’m another who’s never understood 5G for the normal user. Only phone with a 4K screen is a couple of Sony ones and if you had a half decent 4g signal it could stream anything as you only need about 16gb download speeds. I can’t see any situation where I am on my phone and would think to myself that I need more than 4g. The odd time I will have Wi-Fi turned off at home and can’t tell the difference between the 300 or so it gets from my 500mb line.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8323 on: January 2, 2022, 11:54:54 am »
Anybody else get really bad signal with Three? Recently switched to them from Voda an seriously regretting it. Anytime I am indoors its a pain in the arse getting a decent signal.

I found them to be feast or famine, in some places I could readily get as much as 120+ mb/s speeds on 4g+ and in other places, even outdoors the coverage could be horrible with indoors being even more flakey.

In the end, unlimited data simply wasn't worth the hassle for me to put up with the problems I had with the network and I would advise anyone considering them to get a payg sim to try them out for coverage before getting a contract.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8324 on: January 2, 2022, 11:59:07 am »
I’m another who’s never understood 5G for the normal user. Only phone with a 4K screen is a couple of Sony ones and if you had a half decent 4g signal it could stream anything as you only need about 16gb download speeds. I can’t see any situation where I am on my phone and would think to myself that I need more than 4g. The odd time I will have Wi-Fi turned off at home and can’t tell the difference between the 300 or so it gets from my 500mb line.

Considering that most people still have capped contracts, the bigger benefit with 5g is probably the lower latency more than the speed, how you use your phone will influence how important that part of it actually is though because even 4g latency isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #8325 on: January 4, 2022, 10:31:59 am »
Considering that most people still have capped contracts, the bigger benefit with 5g is probably the lower latency more than the speed, how you use your phone will influence how important that part of it actually is though because even 4g latency isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination.

What do we do on our phones that requires low latency? 4G is fast enough for GPS/navigation, streaming, browsing and social media applications.  Off the top of my head, online gaming is the only use case where low latency can really make a difference. 

Phuk yoo

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #8326 on: January 4, 2022, 08:05:31 pm »

Yes.

I moved to Vodafone last year and the signal went from 1-2 bars to 3-4 in my home.

Just had rant in the boozer about trying to move my daughters' contracts to O2. It's let me do one, then rejected the other.

Why is everything so hard to do? There's always obstacles when technology should be making shit easier.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8327 on: January 5, 2022, 01:57:11 pm »
What do we do on our phones that requires low latency? 4G is fast enough for GPS/navigation, streaming, browsing and social media applications.  Off the top of my head, online gaming is the only use case where low latency can really make a difference. 

Gaming is the big one, but streaming (both to and from the phone) also benefit from it as well, although this is obviously theoretical for most of us since hardly anyone will see 5g on their phones anyway.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8328 on: January 5, 2022, 02:01:37 pm »
Im constantly using 5g, it’s pretty common where I am.  I didn’t go out of my way to buy a 5g phone, but I couldn’t be without one now.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #8329 on: January 17, 2022, 05:32:45 pm »
Does anyone use and can recommend Sky Mobile? I already have their TV and Broadband, wondering if they do any deals if you go for their mobile contract too.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #8330 on: January 18, 2022, 02:44:05 pm »
My contract is coming to an end, spoke with Vodafone and been offered the following;

Google Pixel 6 Pro 100gb data £45 per month
iphone 12 100gb data £39 per month
iphone 13 100gb data £42 per month

or

Samsung A52S £29 per month.

Never heard of the 52S but when the fella is going 'ohhh these are great, I'd have one myself', it normally means they are the one they are trying to get shut of the most.

To be honest, currently using a Huawei P20 Pro which has been outstanding, apart from it doesn't have a proper headphone jack. The camera is outstanding and thats what I am looking for the most with a new phone.

Any shouts?
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #8331 on: January 18, 2022, 02:51:22 pm »
If cameras are what you're looking for then it has to be either the iPhone 13 or the Pixel 6 Pro, I'd say the Pixel has the better cameras compared to the regular iPhone 13, but you can't really go too wrong with either. It just depends on whether you want to stick with Android or wouldn't mind switching over to iOS.

Also, there's been a lot of bugs reported with the new Pixels. They've recently released a software update I believe but it remains to be seen how effective that is.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wJ7A1C_HzEE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wJ7A1C_HzEE</a>
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #8332 on: January 19, 2022, 07:01:19 am »
A52s has a pretty good camera with OIS to be honest. Its good value for the price.

It doesnt have a flagship grade processor, but its pretty fast and does the job well.

It also has a headphone jack and sd card slot.
Phuk yoo

Online Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #8333 on: January 26, 2022, 09:13:01 pm »
Have been having very patchy 4G coverage from Virgin over the past few days, my WiFi speeds at home have plummeted & sometimes my voice calls just cut out randomly.

I've checked the coverage checker & it says everything is fine.  I have noticed in the news recently that Virgin is migrating its network from EE to Vodafone, will this have any negative effect on my mobile coverage?

I don't want to have to change from Virgin, as I'm on a good deal with TV & broadband & mobile with them, who would people recommend if I was to leave Virgin?

Online Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #8334 on: January 26, 2022, 09:17:04 pm »
Also, I'm looking for a new handset, I'm completely open to all manufacturers, either Android or iOS, my only real criteria is budget, no more than £300.

I don't have any particular requirements: just internet browsing, taking some photos, some watching YouTube videos, streaming/listening to music & calls/texts.

I've not bought a new phone for over 2yrs, so am a bit out of touch with latest developments.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8335 on: January 31, 2022, 01:44:38 am »
A52s has a pretty good camera with OIS to be honest. Its good value for the price.

It doesnt have a flagship grade processor, but its pretty fast and does the job well.

It also has a headphone jack and sd card slot.

It is a shame that the A53 is rumoured to throw away some of those features when the usual yearly hardware updates plus an additional feature such as wireless charging would easily make it the best mid-tier phone on the market.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8336 on: February 1, 2022, 08:31:09 am »
Also, I'm looking for a new handset, I'm completely open to all manufacturers, either Android or iOS, my only real criteria is budget, no more than £300.

I don't have any particular requirements: just internet browsing, taking some photos, some watching YouTube videos, streaming/listening to music & calls/texts.

I've not bought a new phone for over 2yrs, so am a bit out of touch with latest developments.

Yeah a couple of Samsungs and a lot more of Xiaomi are your only choices at that budget.

Xiaomi have their 5g lineups thats supposed to be really good. Check their website out.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #8337 on: February 1, 2022, 09:39:22 am »
It is a shame that the A53 is rumoured to throw away some of those features when the usual yearly hardware updates plus an additional feature such as wireless charging would easily make it the best mid-tier phone on the market.

Yep.. 

Removing features is considered as 'cutting edge' these days.  Samsung is blindly trying to emulate Apple, removing key features one by one in the name of progress.

Phuk yoo

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8338 on: February 4, 2022, 06:53:18 pm »
Any phones with the spec of a Galaxy S21 but for half the price?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8339 on: February 5, 2022, 02:17:05 am »
Any phones with the spec of a Galaxy S21 but for half the price?
Are you talking the price when it came out or now where I’m sure you could get it 200/300 cheaper? More importantly what do you value in a phone, size of screen, processor, camera, weight, etc?

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8340 on: February 5, 2022, 08:29:05 am »
Are you talking the price when it came out or now where I’m sure you could get it 200/300 cheaper? More importantly what do you value in a phone, size of screen, processor, camera, weight, etc?

Must've been a hefty price when it came out, it's still over £700

Probably in order - processor, battery life, camera, size of screen, weight

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8341 on: February 5, 2022, 09:51:07 am »
Pixel 5A is pretty good

Don't go near the 6 though, way too buggy

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8342 on: February 6, 2022, 12:09:29 am »
Pixel 5A is pretty good

Don't go near the 6 though, way too buggy
I have the 6 and I really like it. The first update that came out fucked it up a bit but that’s fixed now. Slow charging compared to my last phone and the finger print reader would be the down sides.

The pixel phones are really good though. I haven’t got one dodgy call since moving to it and it has call screening which can be handy. The speech to text is good but I still don’t really use it enough.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2022, 12:21:53 am by MBL? »

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8343 on: February 6, 2022, 12:16:25 am »
Must've been a hefty price when it came out, it's still over £700

Probably in order - processor, battery life, camera, size of screen, weight
The Samsung a52s is pretty good, bought that for the other half. If it was me I’d probably go for something like the realme gt neo 2.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8344 on: February 6, 2022, 07:59:55 am »
I have the 6 and I really like it. The first update that came out fucked it up a bit but that’s fixed now. Slow charging compared to my last phone and the finger print reader would be the down sides.

Oh good to know they fixed it

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8345 on: February 19, 2022, 08:55:47 pm »
Was browsing at phones and came across the new S22. Tempted until I saw it had a 3,700mah battery. What is the point of downgrading? I have no reason to buy that now, I'm guessing it's to lure people into buying the Ultra

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8346 on: February 19, 2022, 08:58:50 pm »
Was browsing at phones and came across the new S22. Tempted until I saw it had a 3,700mah battery. What is the point of downgrading? I have no reason to buy that now, I'm guessing it's to lure people into buying the Ultra

That's disgusting that. Even the S20 & s21 come with a 4,000mah. I'm still made up with my S20 plus. Don't think I'll need another phone for 2 or 3 years and I've had this almost 2.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #8347 on: February 19, 2022, 10:11:45 pm »
Managed to pick up a oneplus 9 256gb from John Lewis today for £570 as a boxed return. Looks brand new apart from a battered box

If anyone is in Liverpool they had a few in store as well as a Oneplus 7t for about £200.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8348 on: February 23, 2022, 03:04:46 pm »
Had an email from O2 to tel me that they're putting their tariffs up.

It says the RPI is 7.8%, so they're increasing tariffs by that amount.

Plus their 'standard 3.9% rise'.

WTF???

11.17% increase.

Profiteering c*nts.

Makes me glad I used a cheat to get discounted monthly tariff (supposed to be for Virgin customers only)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #8349 on: February 23, 2022, 03:09:51 pm »
Getting the S22 ultra in a few weeks when it's out, £210 for my old phone, samsung air buds for free, and contract about £33 a month with O2.

Done the same thing a few years ago when I got my S10
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8350 on: February 23, 2022, 05:30:23 pm »

WTF???

11.17% increase.

Profiteering c*nts.

Makes me glad I used a cheat to get discounted monthly tariff (supposed to be for Virgin customers only)

RPI plus 3.9% seems to be a standard increase across the industry. Was the same when my lad was looking at contracts the other week.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8351 on: February 23, 2022, 05:32:19 pm »

WTF???

11.17% increase.

Profiteering c*nts.

I've been on the same sim only contract with 3 for as long as I can remember, it's never gone up in price.

It's also no longer available.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #8352 on: February 23, 2022, 05:49:55 pm »
RPI plus 3.9% seems to be a standard increase across the industry. Was the same when my lad was looking at contracts the other week.

Yes I think the last Ofcom price review put RPI +3.9% in as the cap for the next few years
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 06:04:59 pm by filopastry »

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8353 on: February 23, 2022, 10:16:26 pm »
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Pixel 6 with unlimited 5g data on ID Mobile (runs on Three) for £27.99 a month. It's 'refurbished' from mobiles.co.uk but they say they don't sell second hand phones, just returns.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #8354 on: February 24, 2022, 09:57:01 am »
Picking up my S22+ in a few weeks.

Opted against the S22 Ultra because don't like the look of it mainly and I don't need things like a pen and whatever so seemed overkill to me

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8355 on: February 24, 2022, 10:52:48 am »
Yes I think the last Ofcom price review put RPI +3.9% in as the cap for the next few years

That's insane and unjustifiable!

Who sits on the Ofcom panel? The CEO's of O2, Vodafone, EE and 3?

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8356 on: February 24, 2022, 04:05:31 pm »
Picking up my S22+ in a few weeks.

Opted against the S22 Ultra because don't like the look of it mainly and I don't need things like a pen and whatever so seemed overkill to me

Done the same. Gone for the + as I don't like the look of the ultra. They had the S22 range in the Samsung Shop in L1 at the weekend which I was having a play with. Very nice device!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #8357 on: February 25, 2022, 08:23:33 am »
Samsung have jacked up their prices for their flagships over the last few years. The standard s22 and s22 plus don',t even have 2K screens which used to be standard for all S models a couple of years ago.

They have also removed the headphone jack from all their high end phones.

Not buying Samsung again.

Anyone considering a new phone , should defo look at the Asus rog phone 5s.

Amazing phone with everything you can imagine on a phone. Its supposed to ve a gaming phone, but even for non gamers it is a fantastic option for the price.

For the price of a standard S22, you get the latest snapdragon 888 plus, huge battery, headphone jack sd card slot, 2K display, high fidelity audio and tons of add on accessories you can buy.

Phuk yoo

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8358 on: February 25, 2022, 03:45:14 pm »
I've been on the same sim only contract with 3 for as long as I can remember, it's never gone up in price.

It's also no longer available.

You were lucky then as 3 have always done that same price increase in April thing as the others.

They all take the piss though, it is not like you wouldn't be able to get a tariff for the same price as you were previously paying if you signed up for a new deal now, in many cases you'd get one that was cheaper and/or had more data included.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #8359 on: February 26, 2022, 12:09:09 pm »
Samsung have jacked up their prices for their flagships over the last few years. The standard s22 and s22 plus don',t even have 2K screens which used to be standard for all S models a couple of years ago.

They have also removed the headphone jack from all their high end phones.

Not buying Samsung again.

Anyone considering a new phone , should defo look at the Asus rog phone 5s.

Amazing phone with everything you can imagine on a phone. Its supposed to ve a gaming phone, but even for non gamers it is a fantastic option for the price.

For the price of a standard S22, you get the latest snapdragon 888 plus, huge battery, headphone jack sd card slot, 2K display, high fidelity audio and tons of add on accessories you can buy.

The thing with Samsung is I agree at full price they aren't super attractive, but you normally get good offers pretty quickly, either enhanced trade in prices, cashback, google credit etc. I got a S21 Ultra with a pretty significant reduction in price within a couple of months of launch last year.