Author Topic: Football commentator/pundits  (Read 41807 times)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Re: 2018 - Who's the best commentator/pundit?
« Reply #80 on: November 9, 2018, 01:18:58 pm »
You getting mixed up with Jon Champion?

Ah yes my apologies, was he on BT as well?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: November 9, 2018, 01:50:35 pm »
Champion is an absolute c*nt. He loathed Suarez, you could be excused for thinking Suarez was some sort of convicted rapist or something the way he went on. It was him who did the Mansfield game wasn't it and boy did he make an absolute c*nt of himself after that, I think whoever he was working for at the time actually told him off it was that bad, I'm sure I remember that. He done setanta as well with that other prick Burley and the games on there were basically just 90mins of hammering Rafa.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #82 on: November 9, 2018, 02:50:42 pm »
Ian Darke is far from the worst, and I agree that he seems less agenda-driven, or sensationalist, than some of the hysterical ones mentioned.

Even so, he makes basic errors of identity, and worse, he’s often accompanied by Beglin, who is dire, frankly.

The other night I did what I’m increasingly doing - watching with the sound muted.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2018, 04:55:11 pm »
Ah yes my apologies, was he on BT as well?

Yes.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2018, 04:57:05 pm »
Champion is an absolute c*nt. He loathed Suarez, you could be excused for thinking Suarez was some sort of convicted rapist or something the way he went on. It was him who did the Mansfield game wasn't it and boy did he make an absolute c*nt of himself after that, I think whoever he was working for at the time actually told him off it was that bad, I'm sure I remember that. He done setanta as well with that other prick Burley and the games on there were basically just 90mins of hammering Rafa.

Kept calling Suarez a cheat during the game, because the ball appeared to come off his hand when he scored for us. Whoever who was sat beside he told him to calm down.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #85 on: May 5, 2019, 02:39:26 am »
Found myself in a bit of a Youtube wormhole today, wedded with talking to my mate about the 90s, and ended up on the Owen goal vs. Argentina with Brian Moore's commentary.

I'm 30, so too young to have fully appreciated Moore in his peak, but he seemed a genius. Even the one that causes us so much pain is an inspired line.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: May 5, 2019, 07:06:38 am »
Liam Rosenior is brilliant.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #87 on: May 5, 2019, 08:41:40 am »
Found myself in a bit of a Youtube wormhole today, wedded with talking to my mate about the 90s, and ended up on the Owen goal vs. Argentina with Brian Moore's commentary.

I'm 30, so too young to have fully appreciated Moore in his peak, but he seemed a genius. Even the one that causes us so much pain is an inspired line.

Apart from “Will he score Kevin, yes or no?” As David Batty stepped up in the same game. :D

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #88 on: May 5, 2019, 08:57:50 am »
Liam Rosenior is brilliant.
He does seem to live in a world where everything and everyone is “absolutely outstanding”, though  ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #89 on: May 5, 2019, 09:35:10 am »
I do like Glen Hoddle, much better than the other Sly/BT commentators and pundits
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #90 on: May 5, 2019, 09:41:58 am »
Carragher is a terrible co commentator - he is over the top criticising us and Tyler simply hates us.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #91 on: May 5, 2019, 12:47:15 pm »
Carragher is a terrible co commentator - he is over the top criticising us and Tyler simply hates us.
Neither him nor Neville should be in the comms box. Alan Smith chats some nonsense but he's probably Sky's best co-commentator.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #92 on: May 5, 2019, 01:18:35 pm »
I do like Glen Hoddle, much better than the other Sly/BT commentators and pundits

I do like Glenn Hoddle as well, he's quite positive when on comms, when most are always moaning at something.
#Sausages

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #93 on: May 7, 2019, 10:36:59 pm »
Alan Shearer has been absolutely brilliant tonight as co-commentator on radio 5. He was completely overwhelmed. Reckons he’s never seen, or ever will see, an atmosphere like it again in his lifetime.

Always thought he was a bit smug on MOTD, but he’s gone up in my estimation 100% after that co-commentary tonight. He totally ‘got it’ and absolutely loved every minute.

So much better than the tv commentary. With the time lag you could hear the goals go in on the radio then watch on tv and the difference in excitement and class was night and day.

Nice one Alan, you’ll do for me fella.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: May 7, 2019, 10:40:15 pm »
Ian Dennis and Alan Shearer take a fucking bow. Sterling work gents.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #95 on: May 7, 2019, 11:35:53 pm »
Ian Dennis and Alan Shearer take a fucking bow. Sterling work gents.
Is there any way to listen back to their coverage?

Offline RedJim

• Nickname Thief!
  • Kopite
  • Liverbird Upon My Chest
« Reply #96 on: May 7, 2019, 11:40:38 pm »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00050y0

This works for me on mobile - 1hr38 in is the build up to the 4th :D

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: May 8, 2019, 07:21:24 am »
Do it!! (see link above).

So much better than the tv commentary. You can really feel the atmosphere too.

Shearer was pure class last night.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #98 on: May 8, 2019, 08:55:22 am »
Shearer’s been good for years, he was outstanding last night.  I feel bad at joining in the pile-on when he first started.

Radio’s the best.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #99 on: May 8, 2019, 10:33:42 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00050y0

This works for me on mobile - 1hr38 in is the build up to the 4th :D
Cheers mate

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: May 8, 2019, 01:07:22 pm »

The 5Live commentary last night was pitched perfectly and to a standard so often lacking on tv. Shearer was so emotionally wrought at the end you'd be forgiven for thinking he was a Red. Absolutely tremendous stuff.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #101 on: May 8, 2019, 01:10:22 pm »
The 5Live commentary last night was pitched perfectly and to a standard so often lacking on tv. Shearer was so emotionally wrought at the end you'd be forgiven for thinking he was a Red. Absolutely tremendous stuff.

It’s incredible. Ian Dennis has the wobbly voice again like he did at the end of the Dortmund game. The crowd noise came through so much louder on the radio than the tv too.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 8, 2019, 01:41:24 pm »
Commentator/Pundit are two very different roles. A good commentator doesn't necessarily have to add much insight whereas a pundit should/does.

For insight, I like Bilic. For entertainment, I like Keane and Souness - preferably billed together alongside some fresh meat they can tear into.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #103 on: May 8, 2019, 01:54:05 pm »
I've heard Ian Dennis and Shearer's commentary last night - superb.

Which brings me to another commentator - Martin Tyler.

I went on youtube last night to see the match highlights before BT sport had uploaded the official highlights and the one I found was (I think) Bein-sports.

Tyler was doing the commentary for them and he sounded absolutely crestfallen after all 4 goals, barely a flicker of excitement in his voice despite the miracle that was unfolding.

What a twat.
FAME makes a man take things over

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 8, 2019, 01:59:04 pm »

I wish I had pu the radio on while watching Bein Sports.  I totally forgot!

I had to listen to Tyler and Smith last night FFS!  And when they were talking about Anfield comebacks, Tyler asked Smith what it was like when Arsenal had an amazing comeback at Anfield to win the title.

He really does hate us, the fucking twat!!

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: May 8, 2019, 02:08:21 pm »
It’s incredible. Ian Dennis has the wobbly voice again like he did at the end of the Dortmund game. The crowd noise came through so much louder on the radio than the tv too.
I stuck it on pre-match and by kick off knew I was doing this the old school way (backed up by a stream to see the goals). Turned up the volume and it was like being there. Sod listening to that boring divvy Tyler. Hairs standing up on the back of my neck as the game kicked off with Ian Dennis and Alan Shearer perfectly describing the scene, with Anfield febrile in the background. I turned to the missus at 1-0 and said, we’re winning this 4-0.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: May 8, 2019, 07:00:39 pm »

Ian Dennis has good form here but that was the first time I'd heard Shearer as a co-commentator (only ever seen him as the pundit).

He was brilliant (again, coming from somebody who thought he was useless to start with) - just objectively, and in such a heated cauldron, he described the action so well without being emotionally detached. He totally got the tone perfect.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: May 8, 2019, 07:23:32 pm »
Anyone hear the summary of last nights commentary that they played at about 6.50pm tonight just before going to the Spurs build up?

Emotional doesn’t come near, was in bits again!

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #108 on: May 8, 2019, 07:45:07 pm »
I've heard Ian Dennis and Shearer's commentary last night - superb.

Which brings me to another commentator - Martin Tyler.

I went on youtube last night to see the match highlights before BT sport had uploaded the official highlights and the one I found was (I think) Bein-sports.

Tyler was doing the commentary for them and he sounded absolutely crestfallen after all 4 goals, barely a flicker of excitement in his voice despite the miracle that was unfolding.

What a twat.

Yeah I came in just to post the same. Probably one of the greatest footballing moments in years and he struggles to show any emotion.

Compare that to Kompany’s goal the the other day. I used to think he just loved a ‘story’ when he got hyped up over the likes of Macheda and Martial, but he genuinely seems to dislike Liverpool.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2019, 09:46:33 pm »
Here’s highlights of Ian Dennis and Alan Shearer’s sublime commentary from the night.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1eH2QnzYdV0

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2019, 09:51:13 pm »
Yeah I came in just to post the same. Probably one of the greatest footballing moments in years and he struggles to show any emotion.

Compare that to Kompany’s goal the the other day. I used to think he just loved a ‘story’ when he got hyped up over the likes of Macheda and Martial, but he genuinely seems to dislike Liverpool.
This was so blatant.Tyler played it down massively compared to other commentaries I've heard.Cant wait til he's retired
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2019, 10:19:11 pm »
Here’s highlights of Ian Dennis and Alan Shearer’s sublime commentary from the night.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1eH2QnzYdV0

Absolute quality! I know Shearer gets a lot of stick for his punditry, but lets be honest he's a legend.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2019, 10:33:23 am »
Hate saying it, Mourinho may be a prick but he's a brilliant pundit/analyst. Light years ahead of any ex player.

You just have to see the clips of him and Wenger as proof that ex managers make far better pundits than ex players.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2019, 11:01:35 am »
Hate saying it, Mourinho may be a prick but he's a brilliant pundit/analyst. Light years ahead of any ex player.

You just have to see the clips of him and Wenger as proof that ex managers make far better pundits than ex players.

100%

Actual tactical insights. Was impressed with Mourinho yesterday, hope hes on again soon. Neville and Carragher were a decent double act at one stage, getting a bit annoying now.

Offline Tuco Ramírez

• Main Stander
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2019, 12:12:55 am »
One of my all time favourites

Archie MacPherson,  Eurogoals on Eurosport

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2019, 07:03:08 am »

Blimey theres a name from my youth. Cue a piece from Motherwell or Partick and see his comb-over blowing about in the wind.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2019, 08:16:27 am »
Luckily living in Asia and watching sport through iptv, the only UK sports coverage I follow is Sky's excellent cricket production. I tend to watch football through French tv, usually RMC Sport, whose analysis and coverage around the actual event tends to be middling but I find that their match commentary is rather excellent.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Online KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2019, 08:31:58 am »

"Wooofff"
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2019, 11:30:09 am »
Owen Coyle seems pretty knowledgeable and seems like a sound fella, probably isn't a big enough name these days so don't see/hear a lot from him on the tv/radio these days
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: September 3, 2019, 04:46:13 pm »

Mourinho and Wenger have demonstrated that class managers and tacticians are the best pundits around. The message is loud and clear to the ex players experts wanna be with no managerial/coaching track record - there are no short cuts. You cannot bullshit your way especially in the presence of true experts

Mourinho as a pundit is just pure class. His tactics can be boring and negative. He can be ultra defensive. But he sure knows his football.

And of course ... the king of pundits is clearly our Jurgen. When he retires from football management, he will be the most sought after pundit
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur