Author Topic: Xabi Alonso  (Read 332702 times)

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Xabi Alonso - new interview
« Reply #40 on: September 1, 2009, 07:52:01 pm »
Saw the interview, feel gutted every time I see him on telly particularly wearing those fascists shirt. It is true Rafa and the whole Juve/Barry thing was very underhand as was him not being allowed to see his baby being born. But I always hoped that our love for him would somehow win the day. No offense to Gerro/Carra but I think for me he was more Liverpool than any other player in the team.
Easy now, lets no go too far. Gerrard and Carra will live and die with Liverpool well past their playing dies.

Remember when we were struggling back in Rafa's 1st season and Shreeves tried to stitch Carra with by getting him to say Liverpool were not a big team?
Come on, nobody is more Liverpool right now than Carra.

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 1, 2009, 07:52:35 pm »
even though it now appears that rafa wanted to sell him?
Not after last season?

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #42 on: September 1, 2009, 07:53:16 pm »
Fair enough, the only thing I had seen was Rafa indicating that the transfer request Xabi handed in has been too long coming since May.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 1, 2009, 07:54:15 pm »
Don't remember any crap seasons from Xabi, I remember crap seasons for Liverpool as a team but his performance for me was always above par.

By his standards, 06/07 and 07/08 weren't up to scratch.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline AlanK

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: September 1, 2009, 07:54:37 pm »
Last summer when the club proposed that I had to be sold to buy new players it was a difficult moment, but I accepted it as a professional. That moment changed my mind, from that moment it was time for a change.

Another example of how the yanks are putting Rafa under extreme pressure. Alonso was under no restrictions in this interview so you'd assume what he's saying is the truth. He doesn't say Rafa wanted him out, rather that the club had no money to strengthen the squad so instead Rafa has to sell to buy.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #45 on: September 1, 2009, 07:54:39 pm »
The whole thing was badly played by Rafa, although 30 million isn't to be sniffed at I guess.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 1, 2009, 07:55:07 pm »
Easy now, lets no go too far. Gerrard and Carra will live and die with Liverpool well past their playing dies.

Remember when we were struggling back in Rafa's 1st season and Shreeves tried to stitch Carra with by getting him to say Liverpool were not a big team?
Come on, nobody is more Liverpool right now than Carra.

I know, what I was trying to say is that he exemplified the professionalism and attitude as well as skill and passing type of player that for me epitomises the way I want our team to play.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 1, 2009, 07:55:38 pm »

he had niggly injuries in that timespan tho didnt he - last few months of 07/08 he was back to his best so that pretty much invalidates the 'he played well last season to get a transfer' argument

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #48 on: September 1, 2009, 07:56:19 pm »
It's a bad year when we lost our two top professionals in the same summer - Sami and Xabi.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: September 1, 2009, 07:56:32 pm »
If the yanks are not gone come next summer, I think Rafa be going Madrid also to be honest.
He might be saying he's staying, and will fight on, but behind closed doors he must be thinking he's winning a loosing battle. They've really taken the piss big time this time.
If it wasn't bad enough Alonso Leaving, they then take the funds we could have used for a replacement like taking candy from a baby. Its day light robbery.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #50 on: September 1, 2009, 07:57:33 pm »
A true pro. I have no problem with any of the decisions he made as I personally would have done the same if pushed into similar positions.

Shame we lost him. I do feel rafa was at fault but at the same time i guess we will never know if barry could have done better. Aquilani may turn out to be a better player for the team... who knows.

Its over now but I hope Alonso continues to be a great player, he deserves it.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: September 1, 2009, 07:58:23 pm »

He was injured for much of the time and unable to play. We were pretty shit without him. When he did play he was among our best players. It was an act of madness to try and swap him from a mediocrity like Barry.

As, to be fair, most Liverpool supporters knew.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #52 on: September 1, 2009, 07:59:40 pm »
i like the way he said he had to be sold to buy " players " fucking right xabi, you are worth more than one player matey  :wave
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline AlanK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #53 on: September 1, 2009, 08:00:53 pm »
It's a bad year when we lost our two top professionals in the same summer - Sami and Xabi.
I hope you're fishing

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 1, 2009, 08:05:18 pm »
I hope you're fishing

Why would he be fishing- is it not true that we lost 2 top professionals  ??? Certainly could have done with them in the last 4 games as well.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
  • Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
« Reply #55 on: September 1, 2009, 08:05:45 pm »
I hope you're fishing

Why is that fishing? Its not wrong. We DID lose two top professionals in the same year. I was more gutted when Sami left than I was when Alonso left.
Blank.

Offline liverpoolfc73

• pure shyte
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #56 on: September 1, 2009, 08:07:14 pm »
Hyypia our best central defender last year - I cant see Bassong or Davies getting to those balls with Hyypia lurking around. Wish we had offered him a 2 year deal with the gaurantee of regular football. In hindsight with the injury situation, Hyppia would have had a lot of games

Offline aedge659

• Legacy Fan
  • Through wind and rain..
« Reply #57 on: September 1, 2009, 08:08:43 pm »
Would of liked to give him a proper send off, i still love the guy even though it kills me to see him in a different shirt...but i'll get over it. We've all seen what a boss lad he was in his time with us!!

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 1, 2009, 08:11:02 pm »
This is a discusion of "if's" for me. What needs to be assessed is would Alonso had such an excellent season if Rafa never threatend to sell him. Similar to players in the past such as Finnan when Benitez first arrived and Benayoun recently have been close to leaving the club but used the situation to improve their performances and prove the manager wrong. What never seems to be asked could Liverpool have even improved if they had Barry last season and not Alonso? Xabi is a player who I addore and someone who I can totally understand his reasons for moving on. One reason he left the club was because of the situation with Rafa, however if he loved the club as much as explained then surely he would have stayed. Good luck to Xabi but as far as am concerned, that's in the past now. Lets see if Alberto Aquilani is as good if not better.

Offline staniola

• Main Stander
« Reply #59 on: September 1, 2009, 08:11:21 pm »
rafa was in the wrong with this situation, no questions. he has a knack of shite people skills. he grates on me a lot and has done for a while, but can see why most love him. i also can't doubt his management skills tho, even the frustrating ones
"The treble parade would have been the most perfect moment of my footballing life, but for the two people standing behind me, clearly already plotting their next move." - Robbie Fowler

Offline AlanK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #60 on: September 1, 2009, 08:13:25 pm »
Why is that fishing? Its not wrong. We DID lose two top professionals in the same year. I was more gutted when Sami left than I was when Alonso left.
He called them "our two top pros". Clearly wrong

Offline staniola

• Main Stander
« Reply #61 on: September 1, 2009, 08:16:45 pm »
He called them "our two top pros". Clearly wrong

maybe not "our two top pros", but who can you seriously have put above them in that respect?
"The treble parade would have been the most perfect moment of my footballing life, but for the two people standing behind me, clearly already plotting their next move." - Robbie Fowler

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #62 on: September 1, 2009, 08:17:14 pm »
The whole thing was badly played by Rafa...
Hard to escape that realisation really.

...although 30 million isn't to be sniffed at I guess.
I'm sure Hicks and the RBS agree with that sentiment.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline AlanK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #63 on: September 1, 2009, 08:25:46 pm »
maybe not "our two top pros", but who can you seriously have put above them in that respect?
I don't think there's any need to get in a big discussion over this and take the thread off track. The poster said we lost our 2 top pros over the summer, which even the most biased supporter cannot say is truth.

Online abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 1, 2009, 08:27:27 pm »
Gareth soddin Barry. Has a player ever caused as much damage to our club, without actually playing for us?

And what do you do about Rafa's mancrush with the Brummie Baraja?

Resulted in us losing a key piece in our quest towards the illusive 19. Would have at least made sense, if he signed for us, but then he saw the cash, and went to City.

Can sympathize with Xabi, but as much as Rafa wanted to sell him last summer, he still wanted to keep him this summer, but Xabi insisted on leaving, leaving the club in it's most important summer, the club whose fans he so dearly loves.

Rafa fucked up, Xabi fucked us, can't do anything about it.

Anyways, wait till Aquilani is playing for us. We won't miss Xabi.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 1, 2009, 08:30:30 pm »
Let's be fair here.

As much as I loved Alonso (notice, past tense) he was a severely limited player. I can understand why Rafa wanted to replace him with a more attack minded CM. Sure, we probably would have won trophies in the short term with Xabi in the next couple of years, but it's clear he didn't fit in with Rafa's long term plan.

Sometimes great leaders have to make big decisions. Sometimes those big decisions cause controversy amongst the followers... but the only judge will be if we win trophies in the next couple of seasons.

Fair play to Rafa here- he's a great leader and he made a big decision.

It's not a big mistake- at least not yet.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline AlanK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #66 on: September 1, 2009, 08:35:55 pm »

I'd say you're going to come in for a fair bit of stick for that but I for one fully agree with it, although I wouldn't call Alonso a severely limited player. Given the constrictions on the budget that Rafa has to work under he had to make a call based upon who was expendable, who was essential, who'd being underpreforming and who would fetch a decent price. There's nobody with bigger balls than Rafa to make a decision like that

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 1, 2009, 08:36:36 pm »
Let's be fair here.

As much as I loved Alonso (notice, past tense) he was a severely limited player. I can understand why Rafa wanted to replace him with a more attack minded CM. Sure, we probably would have won trophies in the short term with Xabi in the next couple of years, but it's clear he didn't fit in with Rafa's long term plan.

Sometimes great leaders have to make big decisions. Sometimes those big decisions cause controversy amongst the followers... but the only judge will be if we win trophies in the next couple of seasons.

It's not a big mistake- at least not yet.

One of our biggest problems last year was not enough goal threat coming from the central midfield area. It was either G&T (supplied by incisive passing by Xabi) or out to the wings. This made it easy for lesser teams to stop us, either cut of the wing supply and/or get to Gerrard. The same thing seems to be happening again this year. Thats why I still advocate playing Gerrard in Xabi's place that way we can have an extra attacking player perhaps Yossi/Babel behind the hole supporting Torres and have Gerrards threat from central midfield. I thought that was what would happen, I still don't buy the whole Lucas thing because he's neither an attacking midfielder nor a defensive midfielder.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #68 on: September 1, 2009, 08:40:24 pm »
Let's be fair here.

As much as I loved Alonso (notice, past tense) he was a severely limited player.

No offence I normally don't disagree with your posts but I think that's all bollocks. "Severely limited"? Jesus christ, talk about delusion as self-preservation.

As for Rafa making a big decision, again I think you're kidding yourself as the fact remains it was Xabi who took the decision to leave not Rafa. On the contrary Rafa wanted him to stay after this season, that much is crystal clear. But as many of us suspected and the man himself has confirmed in this interview, once Alonso realised that Rafa was prepared to sacrifice him to pursue that bizarre fetish with Barry, that was it, he was playing his last season with us in his own mind.

My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 1, 2009, 08:40:34 pm »
Managers live and die by the decisions that they make (and by die i mean it can cost them their job). In a year or maybe 2 we will see if this was the correct decision. If it is, great for the club. If it isn't, the knives will be out for Rafa. Thats the nature of the job.

As it is currently though, I stand by the managers decision 110%. When he was here, he was fantastic. As important as Torres, Reina and Gerrard. However, Alonso now means nothing to me. His current interview doesn't make me like him more, make me admire him more, make me respect him more or shed a 'tear'.

What it does make me feel though is an increased desire to play against him and twat him (and the rest of his posse) even more! He is just another rival who I hate (apart from Gourcuff, Iniesta, Villa and Santa Cruz because I love them).
« Last Edit: September 1, 2009, 08:44:30 pm by killer_heels »

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 1, 2009, 08:41:13 pm »
Let's be fair here.

As much as I loved Alonso (notice, past tense) he was a severely limited player.

That leapt out Baz. If you can point me to where you said that about him when he was still a Red I'll say 'fair play'. Even if it's just in 1 post out of 100s.

Offline Shabby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 1, 2009, 08:41:19 pm »
I wish he would have given us another year, but can't really expect undying loyalty from a player who we were trying to get rid of last year.

He was my favourite player and I wish him all the best, but it's time to move on.
£15m? It seems low, but what people have to remember is that the fee is irrelevant.

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
« Reply #72 on: September 1, 2009, 08:41:30 pm »
Weve ended up with egg on our faces, no doubt about it. Rafa wanted to sell xabi to bring in barry, which wouldve been a good move considering theyre pretty much like for like, except obviously rafa preffered barry. As a result of that, xabi left this season, but when Rafa tried to move in for Barry he was gone to man city. The only positive is that rafa manged to get 30 mil from xabi.
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline PassAndMove

• Whinge and Moan
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #73 on: September 1, 2009, 08:41:47 pm »
All hail Benitez's man management skills - one of the biggest cock ups since Fergie fucked up with Stam.

Offline PassAndMove

• Whinge and Moan
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #74 on: September 1, 2009, 08:42:22 pm »
Another example of how the yanks are putting Rafa under extreme pressure. Alonso was under no restrictions in this interview so you'd assume what he's saying is the truth. He doesn't say Rafa wanted him out, rather that the club had no money to strengthen the squad so instead Rafa has to sell to buy.

Ha ha!! bloody hell.

So who was it that was willing to pay MORE for Barry than we were selling Xabi for?

Offline AlanK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #75 on: September 1, 2009, 08:45:15 pm »
As for Rafa making a big decision, again I think you're kidding yourself as the fact remains it was Xabi who took the decision to leave not Rafa. On the contrary Rafa wanted him to stay after this season, that much is crystal clear.

...Disagree with that. After this summer we learned Rafa didn't want Mascherano to leave under any circumstances.
With Alonso however, Rafa had a price that he'd be willing to accept for him, which is what happened in the end

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 1, 2009, 08:45:43 pm »
Threading old ground.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #77 on: September 1, 2009, 08:46:04 pm »
The whole thing was badly played by Rafa, although 30 million isn't to be sniffed at I guess.
was it Rafa or was it Parry/the board refusing the money for Barry - basically forcing Rafa into a sacrifice ?
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #78 on: September 1, 2009, 08:46:21 pm »
So, it DOES come down to bad man-management after all.

How so...why do people forget the fact alonso was below par for 2 years. If after 2 years, he is not cutting it consistently maybe it is time to look for a backup/replacement

Lucas hasn't done much for 2 years, but i don't see him getting the same support as xabi?

The threat of losing his place is what woke alonso up ad kicked his game back into action. Why xabi cant realise this, i dont know. Rafa even joked towards the start of last year "maybe i need to start threatening to sell more players"

Let's be fair here.

Yep. I pretty much said that too when we were after Barry the first time round
« Last Edit: September 1, 2009, 08:48:14 pm by buzzing »
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline PassAndMove

• Whinge and Moan
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #79 on: September 1, 2009, 08:47:52 pm »
was it Rafa or was it Parry/the board refusing the money for Barry - basically forcing Rafa into a sacrifice ?

Can you blame them? The price was £18m.