Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1409470 times)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #2040 on: January 3, 2019, 12:25:25 pm »
Finally some common sense. I understand the optimism and bloody rightly so. But all the talk of one hand on the title is bollocks. We’ve shown over a number of games a point swing in our favour of nine points. That was over four games. Let’s be optimistic yes, but this talk of one hand on the trophy is massively premature.

Oh don't worry I'm absolutely certain if we win or draw tonight the neutral football fan and the bookies and statistical models will all be WAY more optimistic about the outcome than the average liverpool fan :)

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #2041 on: January 3, 2019, 12:27:34 pm »
We currently need 16 wins from 18. That's it. 16 from 18.

It might be 15 from 17 tonight, it might be 16 from 17.

But we need 16 wins.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #2042 on: January 3, 2019, 12:37:43 pm »
2 points per game gets us to 90.
its top 4 form really....

We have experience in achieving that. In black and white it seems straightforward...we finish seasons strong and if anything we should be going over that average. Right?

But the context of THIS season, where we are topping the table with a gap that can't be reduced by just one result is massive and will do things to a team.

The more games that go by where we are clear in front, where injuries cant hurt as much will ease the pressure for us.

Conversely, dropping points in a fixture or two this season is much different to what it does mentally when chasing a place in the top 4....it will be ALOT harder to pick ourselves up from those results and its all because of the pressure and who it is that's chasing us.

City have to do their part too....but simply looking at it from our angle, this is unchartered territory for alot of our squad and there is a long way to go regardless of what happens tonight.

EDIT: None of the above means that I am worrying through each game....I am fucking loving it and watching us in the league this season has been an absolute pleasure. Thinking about all the scenarios, weighing up whats likely to happen or not and seeing it all unfold has been amazing so far. Drinking it all in.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2019, 12:41:43 pm by just redk84 will do »
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2043 on: January 3, 2019, 12:37:45 pm »

But we need 16 wins.

Is that all? Phew... I thought it would be difficult.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2044 on: January 3, 2019, 12:54:35 pm »

But we need 16 wins.

16 wins gives us 102 points.

Even if City win tonight, they can only do 101.

93-95 points will win it IMO.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2045 on: January 3, 2019, 12:56:25 pm »
Yeah, we won't need 102 points to win this league.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2046 on: January 3, 2019, 01:01:20 pm »

But we need 16 wins.

Well that will definitely guarantee the title as we are enough points clear. But I suspect Spurs will drop a few points, and I think Man City will drop points here and there (especially if they lose to us). As long as we collect at least as many points as our rivals in the remaining games, then we'll win the league. Far easier said than done. We then face a bunch of mid table teams with a decent amount of rest between games to keep fairly consistent in our selections. We then hit a fairly crunch patch of games with the Bayern game and then away at a resurgent Man U and away at Everton which will be very tough.

Offline harleydanger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2047 on: January 3, 2019, 01:04:52 pm »
16 wins gives us 102 points.

Even if City win tonight, they can only do 101.

That's how leagues work, most points win
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2049 on: January 3, 2019, 01:46:40 pm »
That's how leagues work, most points win

So you're predicting City will go perfect in the 2nd half of this season?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2050 on: January 3, 2019, 01:49:15 pm »
To get where we are we needed an unprecedented run in December, combined by an absolute collapse by City.

We've been here before - we've had seasons where we swept all before us one month and followed that up with an absolute calamity.  We're not beyond losing three games this season.

We can do it, but let's not play down the magnitude of what we have to accomplish.  There is a difference between believing and dreaming.  Keep your enthusiasm grounded in reality!

Yeah, we won't need 102 points to win this league.

Which will guarantee rival fans and pundits saying we're not as good as City when they won it. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline harleydanger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2051 on: January 3, 2019, 02:00:59 pm »
So you're predicting City will go perfect in the 2nd half of this season?

No, but at this point, the only way we're guaranteed the league is winning 16 games. We most likely won't need to win 16, but City won 18 on the bounce last year so it's not without precedent.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2052 on: January 3, 2019, 02:07:45 pm »
No, but at this point, the only way we're guaranteed the league is winning 16 games. We most likely won't need to win 16, but City won 18 on the bounce last year so it's not without precedent.

It would be unprecedented, no team has come close to being perfect in the 2nd half of a season.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2053 on: January 3, 2019, 02:09:05 pm »

30 wins will do it imo, so another 13.  That's still a tremendous ask for a team in essentially uncharted territory though.

IF we can do the business tonight - win or draw - and secure another 7 or 8 wins on top of that, I think whoever is chasing us will start to lose interest.  That will give us some wiggle room.  But let's get through tonight first!

Popcorn's Art

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #2054 on: January 3, 2019, 02:09:54 pm »
If we win tonight, 15 wins out of 18 is enough. Discounting Spurs winning every game. Make no mistake if we win tonight we should win the league. I'm not saying it guarantees the title but it is one giant leap towards it. In normal seasons I'd say it would be  done but if any team is capable of winning their final 17 games it is this City team. Lose tonight and it blows the whole thing wide open again, draw and we are favourites, win and we are heavy, heavy favourites.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2055 on: January 3, 2019, 02:10:21 pm »
30 wins will do it imo, so another 13.  That's still a tremendous ask for a team in essentially uncharted territory though.

IF we can do the business tonight - win or draw - and secure another 7 or 8 wins on top of that, I think whoever is chasing us will start to lose interest.  That will give us some wiggle room.  But let's get through tonight first!

Yup a long way to go. Keeping this form up is the challenge, not just one game, but the consistency through out the season. We've done it so far, but there's no guaranties in football that it can be sustained. We must prove it game by game, thats why for the players and for the manager, that mindset is key.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2056 on: January 3, 2019, 02:13:02 pm »
I think this is the biggest psychological hurdle we have ever faced to getting the title monkey off our back.  Get through this with any kind of positive result and I think that millstone may finally fall away.  A defeat in isolation - on paper at least - isn't too much bother, but we don't want our boys being hit by "here we go again" fever.  That shit can wreck entire seasons. 

Popcorn's Art

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2057 on: January 3, 2019, 02:21:36 pm »
Losing to city wouldn't be as devastating as losing to a mid-table team, psychologically speaking.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #2058 on: January 3, 2019, 02:26:15 pm »
Losing to city wouldn't be as devastating as losing to a mid-table team, psychologically speaking.

Not too sure to be honest.  That's akin to throwing a pig into a lion's enclosure.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Online stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2059 on: January 3, 2019, 02:26:16 pm »
I think this is the biggest psychological hurdle we have ever faced to getting the title monkey off our back.  Get through this with any kind of positive result and I think that millstone may finally fall away.  A defeat in isolation - on paper at least - isn't too much bother, but we don't want our boys being hit by "here we go again" fever.  That shit can wreck entire seasons. 

I don't get that from this team tho, the players we have now are more mature and focussed.  Allison and Virg are step changes to what we've had.  For me, they breed confidence in what they do and if you feel that the defence is solid then it takes the pressure off the attack, as we saw against Napoli, we only needed one chance to go in and it didn't matter (in the end) about the other missed chances.

If the result goes against us tonight and we've played well, then I don't think we'll be affected going forward and we'll just go onto the next game and wait for City to slip up again

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #2060 on: January 3, 2019, 02:26:23 pm »
All this speculation seems a tad pointless. To me, the most significant factor is our constant and relentless improvement game on game.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2061 on: January 3, 2019, 02:27:12 pm »
On the other hand, we face a lot of mid table sides over the course of a season. Cumulatively there’s an good chance we lose one of those games.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2062 on: January 3, 2019, 02:31:53 pm »
I don't get that from this team tho, the players we have now are more mature and focussed.  Allison and Virg are step changes to what we've had.  For me, they breed confidence in what they do and if you feel that the defence is solid then it takes the pressure off the attack, as we saw against Napoli, we only needed one chance to go in and it didn't matter (in the end) about the other missed chances.

If the result goes against us tonight and we've played well, then I don't think we'll be affected going forward and we'll just go onto the next game and wait for City to slip up again

Oh I agree.  So far we have seen nothing to suggest this would happen; but then a month ago this game seemed a must win just to keep up with City, not to put the beat down on them. ;D

It's a whole different type of pressure.  The title wont be decided by this game, regardless of the result; but it could well be decided by the few results after, so the attitude we take BEYOND this result is absolutely critical.

Popcorn's Art

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2063 on: January 3, 2019, 02:48:33 pm »
Well the so called super computer is saying we will win the title on 106 points. Not that I know anything about how this computer works stuff out like. As ever though, one game at a time, this one tonight is a must win for City though.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #2064 on: January 3, 2019, 03:10:05 pm »
A very good way of putting it into perspective, thanks.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2065 on: January 3, 2019, 03:49:14 pm »
If we win tonight, 15 wins out of 18 is enough. Discounting Spurs winning every game. Make no mistake if we win tonight we should win the league. I'm not saying it guarantees the title but it is one giant leap towards it. In normal seasons I'd say it would be  done but if any team is capable of winning their final 17 games it is this City team. Lose tonight and it blows the whole thing wide open again, draw and we are favourites, win and we are heavy, heavy favourites.

I don’t agree that if we win tonight we should win the league. I don’t buy into this at all. Favourites yes, but we must win the league is bollox in my opinion.. a long long long way to go. If we had this gap in April I’d tend to agree but it is early January and anything can happen.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #2066 on: January 3, 2019, 04:11:09 pm »

But we need 16 wins.

Then we're probably not going to win the league.

But I don't think we need 16 wins so it's not a problem

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2067 on: January 3, 2019, 04:13:02 pm »

There is no monkey on our back, as Klopp said early on in his time with us. The players will not carry our history on their backs like a heavy backpack (or similar words).

In other words, the current team have all been with us for the short years we've had them, and they will do their best to win something massive for themselves, for the fans and for their careers.

Sadio Mane should not carry the weight of say, Gerrard, Suarez etc

The time is now, and we must go for it!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2068 on: January 3, 2019, 04:31:38 pm »
There is no monkey on our back, as Klopp said early on in his time with us. The players will not carry our history on their backs like a heavy backpack (or similar words).

In other words, the current team have all been with us for the short years we've had them, and they will do their best to win something massive for themselves, for the fans and for their careers.

No one should have to carry the weight of Charlie Adam.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #2069 on: January 3, 2019, 04:35:13 pm »
No one should have to carry the weight of Charlie Adam.

Sounds like a challenge for Fordy  ;)
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2070 on: January 3, 2019, 05:46:58 pm »

Well Henderson hasn't been with us for short years - he was a Kenny player. ;D

I agree with you in principle, but emotion and history are not governed by cold, hard principle.  We're not fielding a team of Vulcans.  (That would be kind of cool, because Vulcans are stronger than humans and could do the beat down on City with relative ease) :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
« Reply #2071 on: January 3, 2019, 10:01:06 pm »
We

Are

Still

Ahead
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2072 on: January 3, 2019, 10:12:26 pm »
We've basically got the same fixtures now, both our toughest aways left are Utd and maybe Everton (though they'll throw that obviously). We'll do it. Total confidence in these boys. Wrong team selection and had over by a disgusting referee and they still only sneaked past us. See nothing to suggest they are better than us.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #2073 on: January 3, 2019, 10:15:13 pm »
The response to this is critical - need to maintain the lead for the next few games.

The next team (not incl Spurs obviously) to drop points is critical - we go ahead again, that could be it. We lose more ground and it gets really tense.....

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2074 on: January 3, 2019, 10:18:39 pm »
The response to this is critical - need to maintain the lead for the next few games.

The next team (not incl Spurs obviously) to drop points is critical - we go ahead again, that could be it. We lose more ground and it gets really tense.....
How can we go ahead again when we're still 4 points ahead?

We just need to keep doing what we've done all season and nobody catches us.  That was our toughest challenge, it's plain sailing now till May.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2075 on: January 3, 2019, 10:22:00 pm »
Our next.league game.is away to Brighton they have Wolves at home. Hopefully we win and they draw at least

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2076 on: January 3, 2019, 10:22:46 pm »
Next few games will be key, need to go on a run and just carry on what we have been doing all season barring today. City and Spurs have League Cup semi finals, a further distraction for them. Just no shock results in games we ought to win and we can do it.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #2077 on: January 3, 2019, 10:26:12 pm »
Strap yourselves in, it's going to be a hell of a ride between now and May. We never do things the easy or even easier way.

Offline acks

• Kopite
« Reply #2078 on: January 3, 2019, 10:33:37 pm »
Strap yourselves in, it's going to be a hell of a ride between now and May. We never do things the easy or even easier way.

It would be nice to cruise to a title though!

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2079 on: January 3, 2019, 10:38:56 pm »
Couple of things to draw from tonight I think.

It was a real 'stick or twist' moment and it just felt like Klopp went for 'stick' in that first half. Went with the old guard, the tried and trusted, and reverted to the arrangement of the front three that ran all over teams last season. I love those three midfielders we started with but it's now time to be honest if we're going to make the jump to truly elite level - there's only room for two of them at one time if, and by that I mean Gini plus one other. Fabinho and Keita have been signed for a combined c£100m, and that is to influence games like this. We've found such a fluid formula again in recent weeks, and I think we'll be seeing a lot more of Fabinho in these games now going forward. Would we have gone with that midfield three if we needed a win rather than defending a seven point lead? Who knows. This is intended as no big criticism of them, all of them have been great for LFC and will continue to contribute massively to this title push, but together? We need to move on to other combinations, and again, that includes one or two of them.

That said, if we had won tonight to go four points clear the media and pundits would be in overdrive hailing this as a significant lead at this stage of the season. We need to remember this - four points remains significant and at least needs the pack to reverse a couple of our results without reply. We've had a wonderful run and we are capable of doing it again.

Brighton becomes significant, all the great sides down the years have reacted in the right way and I've got every belief this group of players will do the same.