Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12290216 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #102000 on: September 2, 2020, 10:18:42 pm »
That was a really good game against Leicester that u18 set-up is very exciting. A number of stand outs, Tom Hill looking very confident early stages and that was a perfect lob from Stewart for the goal. The team could have scored a load more goals, heaven help their opponents when they've found their proper rhythm. 
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #102001 on: September 3, 2020, 12:30:43 am »
That was a really good game against Leicester that u18 set-up is very exciting. A number of stand outs, Tom Hill looking very confident early stages and that was a perfect lob from Stewart for the goal. The team could have scored a load more goals, heaven help their opponents when they've found their proper rhythm.
Hill is starting to look like he’s outgrown this level as well, isn’t he? Too good and playing with loads of confidence. He’ll boss games from the middle of the park all season for this team in the way that Cain/Clarkson did last year. Guys like he and Stewart are the ‘veterans’ in this squad and the new crop of lads look very exciting.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102002 on: September 4, 2020, 12:02:55 am »
Read in the athletic that Billy was a ball boy in the game against Barca. Time flies.

Online Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102003 on: September 4, 2020, 05:04:52 pm »
Would think it's almost inevitable that Neil Critchley takes one of our kids on loan at Blackpool. Woodburn? Gallacher?

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #102004 on: September 4, 2020, 05:25:59 pm »
U23 won 2-1 today vs Forest. Millar and Sharif the scorers. Glatzel apparently had a strong second half.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102005 on: September 4, 2020, 07:54:34 pm »
Michael Thomas has been taken on by the Academy in a mentoring role.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2020, 07:57:21 pm by jillc »

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #102006 on: September 4, 2020, 09:44:10 pm »
Would think it's almost inevitable that Neil Critchley takes one of our kids on loan at Blackpool. Woodburn? Gallacher?

Ben Woodburn is 21 next month - might we be looking to move him on for a transfer fee rather than another loan. It seems unlikely now that he has a future in our first team.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102007 on: September 4, 2020, 09:46:32 pm »
Ben Woodburn is 21 next month - might we be looking to move him on for a transfer fee rather than another loan. It seems unlikely now that he has a future in our first team.

It's about doing what's best for him though, not just selling him off. Klopp has been pleased with his progress since coming back from injury so if they feel a loan is best to get him properly on his feet that's what they'll do.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #102008 on: September 5, 2020, 12:48:41 am »

Whats really happened to him to fall off the radar completely?. Thought he was one of our most promising talents?.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102009 on: September 5, 2020, 09:24:17 am »
loaned out last season to oxford. had a promising start then got injured. Think he returned for the playoffs so hopefully he is fully fit to kick on this season

our ex youth player cameron brannagan is there as well. think he has stagnated a bit but still young enough to progress.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #102010 on: September 5, 2020, 04:53:06 pm »
Hoever is coming along very nicely, and for me he looks a better prospect than Williams at right back.  Glides with the ball, great range of passing, lovely technique, pace, movement, he has it all.

The test will come against quality attackers but he's just a pure footballer.  Really promising.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Kadafi

• Main Stander
« Reply #102011 on: September 5, 2020, 05:18:14 pm »
Hoever is coming along very nicely, and for me he looks a better prospect than Williams at right back.  Glides with the ball, great range of passing, lovely technique, pace, movement, he has it all.

The test will come against quality attackers but he's just a pure footballer.  Really promising.

While I do agree, Neco has a habit of surprising whenever I doubt him. Let's hope they push one another on to new heights.

Offline Floop

• Main Stander
« Reply #102012 on: September 5, 2020, 06:13:06 pm »
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/407519-u18s-put-four-past-united-in-latest-pre-season-friendly

u18s beat United 4-1, Oakley-Cannonier, Mabaya, Quansah, and Woltman with the goals.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #102013 on: September 5, 2020, 07:20:48 pm »

Hoever's an excellent prospect. Only thing counting against him as a centre back is his height so right back is more realistic barring a growth spurt.

I think he'll probably get a loan this season.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102014 on: September 5, 2020, 07:25:42 pm »

Absolutely. He is brilliant and probably should be ahead of Williams.

Offline Supermum04

• Boys Pen
« Reply #102015 on: September 6, 2020, 07:57:13 am »
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/407519-u18s-put-four-past-united-in-latest-pre-season-friendly

u18s beat United 4-1, Oakley-Cannonier, Mabaya, Quansah, and Woltman with the goals.
I’m enjoying LFC tv for the first time this year watching the clips of these talented players coming through our ranks  8)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102016 on: September 6, 2020, 08:48:29 am »
I’m enjoying LFC tv for the first time this year watching the clips of these talented players coming through our ranks  8)

The U18s and U23’s are great to watch and the younger team have started impressively. I wish more of our fans could watch them.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102017 on: September 6, 2020, 10:08:21 am »
Isaac Mabaya could be a player we are hearing a lot about in a few years time.

He looks some talent in the highlights I have seen of him

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #102018 on: September 6, 2020, 05:54:30 pm »
What kind of player is he?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102019 on: September 6, 2020, 08:30:33 pm »
I'm struggling to recall a period where it felt like we had more exciting youth talents on the books.

The Sterling, Suso, Coady youth group was pretty exceptional and around that time we also had Ibe, Wilson and Kent beginning to emerge into public consciousness in lower age groups.

The early and late nineties can also take a bow (and, in terms of top level talent that emerged, clearly blow the Sterling-Wilson cohorts out of the water)

But the current crop: Jones, Elliott, Hoever, Williams, Koumetio, etc (and seemingly pretty much every member of the new U18 squad) must be getting the club hierarchy pretty excited.

« Last Edit: September 6, 2020, 09:34:39 pm by richmiller1 »

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102020 on: September 6, 2020, 08:49:03 pm »
I'm struggling to recall a period where it felt like we had more exciting youth talents on the books.

The Sterling, Suso, Coady youth group was pretty exceptional and around that time we also had Ibe, Wilson and Kent beginning to emerge into public consciousness in lower age groups.

The early and late nineties can also take a bow (and, in terms of top level talent that emerged, clearly blow the Sterling-Wilson cohorts out of the water)

But the current crop: Jones, Barnes, Hoever, Williams, Koumetio, etc (and seemingly pretty much every member of the new U18 squad) must be getting the club hierarchy pretty excited.

Inglethorpe has done an incredible job, he’s brilliant at his job and has brought in top coaches, the way we provide a pathway to the first team is also excellent, he’s had the time to do his work properly and the resources, hopefully things will get even better once everyone is at the new facilities

Offline Wengerpresser101

• 8 posts in, could be RAWK’s greatest ever contributor. 248 posts in, the jury's still out......It's a fax he's a dickhead. Still the Greatest Fan of L...sorry...AFC there's EVER been!
  • Kopite
« Reply #102021 on: September 6, 2020, 09:25:07 pm »
I like how we are incorporating bringing in top young talent from around the globe and not just local lads. This would help increase the quality of our youngsters.

For example Hoever, Elliot, Koumetio, were all brought in from overseas at a young age, and have all looked good.

Online Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102022 on: September 6, 2020, 09:30:08 pm »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #102023 on: September 6, 2020, 09:41:07 pm »
Looks very promising in that clip but is he a pacy wide man, no.10 or striker etc?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #102024 on: September 6, 2020, 10:23:23 pm »
I like how we are incorporating bringing in top young talent from around the globe and not just local lads. This would help increase the quality of our youngsters.

For example Hoever, Elliot, Koumetio, were all brought in from overseas at a young age, and have all looked good.

Has the London Borough of Fulham declared independence? ;D

Offline Wengerpresser101

• 8 posts in, could be RAWK’s greatest ever contributor. 248 posts in, the jury's still out......It's a fax he's a dickhead. Still the Greatest Fan of L...sorry...AFC there's EVER been!
  • Kopite
« Reply #102025 on: September 6, 2020, 11:44:43 pm »
Has the London Borough of Fulham declared independence? ;D
Oops my bad. For some reason I always thought he was Spanish because of his links with Real Madrid, and his exotic man bun, which reminds me of Torres's long hair.

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #102026 on: September 7, 2020, 09:58:56 am »
I would like to know what is happening with Ben Woodburn had a couple loan spells out did not feature in our pre season and still gets a welsh call up ?

We had a lot of high hopes for Ben but just looked like the hype died down and never to be seen again. He will join a long list of players who had potential and just fizzled out .

Spearing
Kelly
Brannagan 

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102027 on: September 7, 2020, 10:40:20 am »
I would like to know what is happening with Ben Woodburn had a couple loan spells out did not feature in our pre season and still gets a welsh call up ?

We had a lot of high hopes for Ben but just looked like the hype died down and never to be seen again. He will join a long list of players who had potential and just fizzled out .

Spearing
Kelly
Brannagan
See also Jon Flanagan, Jack Robinson and Andre Wisdom.

Woodburn is in a similar camp to Jack Robinson, high profile debut that attracted a lot of attention but then not a great deal else to follow.

It’s coming up to 4 years since his debut goal, remains to be seen where he will end up.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102028 on: September 7, 2020, 10:51:42 am »
Kelly has 200+ appearences fpr premier league clubs, Robinson was playing fairly reguariy for a premier league team after his transfer.  Wisdom has gone between championship and premier league. They've all had gopd careers so far, it's a fine line between that and ending up in Coady's position, who 3/4 years ago people would have put him in with this group of players.

Woodburn needs a permanent move. Probably somewhere like holland, or Portugal (Crowley and Edwards are two who did this and it seems to have benefited them) so he can continue to develop in less physical leagues with a team that has an jnterest in his development and not just short term gains

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #102029 on: September 7, 2020, 11:57:59 am »
Kelly has 200+ appearences fpr premier league clubs, Robinson was playing fairly reguariy for a premier league team after his transfer.  Wisdom has gone between championship and premier league. They've all had gopd careers so far, it's a fine line between that and ending up in Coady's position, who 3/4 years ago people would have put him in with this group of players.

Woodburn needs a permanent move. Probably somewhere like holland, or Portugal (Crowley and Edwards are two who did this and it seems to have benefited them) so he can continue to develop in less physical leagues with a team that has an jnterest in his development and not just short term gains

Yeah I think a move oversees will benefit his career and get him regular game time a move to Holland would be a good choice not Oxford or Wigan .

Flanagan was a prospect and then went down hill was in the  news with the assault of his girlfriend and was never seen again the couple years at Rangers was also pretty poor he is without a club currently .

Adam Morgan is another name what comes to mind he was similar to Woodburn.

Offline Supermum04

• Boys Pen
« Reply #102030 on: September 7, 2020, 12:50:03 pm »
The U18s and U23’s are great to watch and the younger team have started impressively. I wish more of our fans could watch them.
See the clip of the Man Utd 18s is on at 6pm today hearing a lot of good things about this squad is it right only a few came up into the 18s from 16s ?

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102031 on: September 7, 2020, 01:08:37 pm »
Yeah I think a move oversees will benefit his career and get him regular game time a move to Holland would be a good choice not Oxford or Wigan .

Flanagan was a prospect and then went down hill was in the  news with the assault of his girlfriend and was never seen again the couple years at Rangers was also pretty poor he is without a club currently .

Adam Morgan is another name what comes to mind he was similar to Woodburn.

Woodburn was much more highly thought of than Morgan but has had regular injuries so has not been in a loan team long enough to really establish himself.  He was originally only called up to the Wales u21 this break but with lots of drop outs, moved up to the full squad.  Given his injury record I think he will need to built up his reputation at a lower club, like BranagAn is doing, and like Robinson did after suffering a terrible injury shortly after joining QPR then going on loan to Notts Forest I think.    I think it is a measure of the will to succeed that Coady and Robinson have worked their way back into the premier league after dropping down

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #102032 on: September 7, 2020, 01:50:38 pm »
Absolutely. He is brilliant and probably should be ahead of Williams.

Yes, Jurgen should follow the insight on this forum more closely. His biggest weak point

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102033 on: September 7, 2020, 04:12:37 pm »
Another win for the U23s today (v Huddersfield).  Glatzel (pen), 2 x Dixon B and Longstaff. 

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102034 on: September 7, 2020, 04:36:24 pm »
It's great to see Glatzel picking up where he left off pre-injury and scoring goals, hopefully he carries this form into the season and possibly gets a call-up for the League Cup game against Lincoln or Bradford.

Fingers crossed for him, he's potentially a huge talent with so much to his game beside scoring goals. Really hope he bounces back from the injury and has a great season.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102035 on: September 7, 2020, 05:22:12 pm »
It's great to see Glatzel picking up where he left off pre-injury and scoring goals, hopefully he carries this form into the season and possibly gets a call-up for the League Cup game against Lincoln or Bradford.

Fingers crossed for him, he's potentially a huge talent with so much to his game beside scoring goals. Really hope he bounces back from the injury and has a great season.

Think Glatzel is one of the reasons why Brewster will probably be allowed out on loan/sold (although in the case of the latter I think we’d only do so with first refusal/buy-back on him). Given the injury he’s had, probably happy to play in the U23s for another season and wait for an opportunity, whereas Brewster will understandably want to kick on with playing senior football given how well he played in the Championship.

Mentioned similar in the Ki-Jana Hoever thread in the sense that you’d expect one of him and Williams to go out on loan at some point this season, and Hoever would probably be the one because he’ll want to start playing senior football regularly and is maybe a bit further along in terms of that development than Williams (funny thing to say given he already has a Premier League medal and has just scored a winner for the Welsh national team but here we are).

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102036 on: September 7, 2020, 05:24:04 pm »
See the clip of the Man Utd 18s is on at 6pm today hearing a lot of good things about this squad is it right only a few came up into the 18s from 16s ?

The teams always tend to be on the young side as they move up quite quickly. They have the training group as well who tend to spend time with the first team, but also get minutes in the under 23's. There are certainly a number of exciting prospects in the under 18's and they have started the pre-season in top form so far. It will be interesting to see as others go out on loan, whether more will move into the u23's as a result. Three to keep an eye on are Tom Hill, James Norris and Layton Stewart, think they will all have a good season.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102037 on: September 7, 2020, 06:32:42 pm »
Isaac Christie-Davies has joined Barnsley on a three-year contract, good move for him after leaving us earlier this summer.

Offline Supermum04

• Boys Pen
« Reply #102038 on: September 7, 2020, 10:59:36 pm »
The teams always tend to be on the young side as they move up quite quickly. They have the training group as well who tend to spend time with the first team, but also get minutes in the under 23's. There are certainly a number of exciting prospects in the under 18's and they have started the pre-season in top form so far. It will be interesting to see as others go out on loan, whether more will move into the u23's as a result. Three to keep an eye on are Tom Hill, James Norris and Layton Stewart, think they will all have a good season.
Considering some of these 18s are first year scholars they look so comfortable. Just watched the Man Utd game Exciting times. The young CB Jonas is the youngest in the squad great athleticism and young Issac looks a player

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102039 on: September 8, 2020, 06:42:48 am »
Considering some of these 18s are first year scholars they look so comfortable. Just watched the Man Utd game Exciting times. The young CB Jonas is the youngest in the squad great athleticism and young Issac looks a player

I haven't had the chance to watch it yet, I enjoy watching the younger teams as much as watching the seniors now. Inglethorpe has done a brilliant job at the Academy and his work with Klopp has started to really bare fruit now. You can watch any of these teams now and know they are Liverpool, because of how they play. It is how an Academy should be, it will be even better when everyone is on one site hope that happens soon.