Author Topic: Guardian interview with John Henry - now updated with Part II  (Read 17617 times)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Guardian interview with John Henry - now updated with Part II
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2011, 11:26:30 pm »
They (Glatzers) weren´t willing to spend in the same way as they used to in the recent years, that´s obvious, and it will finally end their dominating status.

You do realise UTD spent near £56m in the summer o a few players?  Phil Jones £18.5m, Ashley Young £18m, De Gea £19m.  I'd call that decent backing.  Whether or not it came from the pockets of the owners is debatable.  But fact is they're still big spenders.

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2011, 11:34:22 pm »
You do realise UTD spent near £56m in the summer o a few players?  Phil Jones £18.5m, Ashley Young £18m, De Gea £19m.  I'd call that decent backing.  Whether or not it came from the pockets of the owners is debatable.  But fact is they're still big spenders.
True, but until this summer they hadn't spent big, especially considering some of the large fees they received (most notably the Ronaldo money).  But yeah, since they repaid the PIK's they had by issuing bonds (or whatever they did) it does seem like they have the ability to spend well going forward.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2011, 11:43:21 pm »
True, but until this summer they hadn't spent big, especially considering some of the large fees they received (most notably the Ronaldo money).  But yeah, since they repaid the PIK's they had by issuing bonds (or whatever they did) it does seem like they have the ability to spend well going forward.

Yeah but it was this summer just passed that they spent the £56m.  Yep Ronaldo dosh came in last Summer and there were rumours of discontent among the OT faithfull.  No doubt quelled by winning the league, which helps.  But they've splashed out this term.

As usual rumours of their demise are greatly exaggerated, or wishfull thinking.

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2011, 11:47:59 pm »
Yeah but it was this summer just passed that they spent the £56m.  Yep Ronaldo dosh came in last Summer and there were rumours of discontent among the OT faithfull.  No doubt quelled by winning the league, which helps.  But they've splashed out this term.

As usual rumours of their demise are greatly exaggerated, or wishfull thinking.
Sad but true.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2011, 09:24:48 am »
Exclusive: Liverpool FC chairman Tom Werner’s tribute to LFC fans on owners’ first anniversary

LIVERPOOL FC chairman Tom Werner has paid a glowing tribute to the club’s supporters as he flew in to attend today’s clash with Manchester United at Anfield.

In an exclusive interview with the ECHO on the first anniversary of Fenway Sports Group’s takeover, Werner sent a thank-you message to fans for their unwavering support over the past 12 months.

The American also hailed the role boss Kenny Dalglish has played in Liverpool’s resurgence and reaffirmed FSG’s commitment to putting the club back on top of English football.

“We are extremely appreciative of the welcome we have been given,” Werner said.

“We hope our fans know how focused we are in restoring the lustre to the club and that we intend to show steady improvement as we look ahead.

“We have spent much time listening to our fans and recently had our first meeting with the LFC Supporters Committee, an independently selected group of fans who represent the various stakeholder groups in the Liverpool family.

“It was a productive meeting. We have said that in general terms it is important for us to under promise and over deliver. At the moment we would just say we are pleased that we are showing steady improvement both on and off the pitch.”

The appointment of Dalglish in January triggered a dramatic transformation in the Reds’ fortunes and Werner says the Kop legend is the “perfect man” to lead the club’s charge back into the Champions League.

“No-one understands or embodies the Liverpool way more than Kenny,” he said. “He is a Liverpool legend and probably the greatest striker in English football since I was born.

“When he speaks to the squad, his words resonate. When he speaks to our fans, his words resonate. We have great confidence that he is the perfect man to lead us back into the top four this season. There have been some really encouraging signs so far and our goal is a top four finish. We have great confidence in Kenny and the team.”

Werner admits FSG faced a huge task when they arrived at Anfield following the damage done to the club by the wretched reign of Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

But he says it’s been a challenge the Boston Red Sox owners have approached with relish since last October when their £300m takeover was rubber-stamped in the High Court.

As well as Dalglish, the appointment of director of football Damien Comolli and managing director Ian Ayre has ensured there’s a structure in place for Liverpool to flourish.

“The events of last October remain as fresh with us as if they occurred yesterday,” he said. “Of course there were days when the obstacles looked daunting, but we also felt we were the right people to come in and that things would work out in our favour.

“Our mission when we took over was to provide steady leadership and help guide the club back to a position of prominence in football.

“I believe the biggest surprise was that morale was at a low ebb. It was important for us to stabilise the club and surround ourselves with first-rate managers.

“As we all know, we hired Damien Comolli, promoted Ian Ayre, and offered the manager’s job to Kenny Dalglish – all within a period of a few months. This has given us a strong foundation to regain our stature.

“As our fans surely know, modern football is complex. Damien’s and Ian’s appointments were extremely important because we needed to strengthen both the football and business side.

“It is a virtuous circle because increasing revenues will support a stronger squad, and a stronger squad will surely increase revenues.”

FSG have vowed to end Liverpool’s long wait for the Premier League title and Werner insists that’s a realistic target – despite the resources available to the likes of Manchester United and Manchester City.

He said: “Liverpool is one of the great football clubs in the world, with a global fan base, and our history and traditions are unmatched.

“We feel privileged to be stewards of this club and hope, as our chapter unfolds, that we can live up to the expectations once spoken by Bill Shankly: ‘Aim for the sky and you’ll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you’ll stay on the floor.’

“The Premier League is probably the most competitive domestic competition in the world, and we are facing some very well resourced opponents.

“But that hasn’t changed our view that we want to be the best team in England and that we will do everything we can to bring success back to Liverpool. That is what our fans want and that’s what we want as well.”

In order to achieve that Werner says FSG will continue to invest in the playing squad but admits buying young players and nurturing talent at the Academy is a key part of their plan.

“We made it clear when we took over the club that we had the resources to improve the squad,” he said.

“We don’t have a fixed number for the amount of money we will spend on transfers going forward, but it is critically important to develop a system where young players are identified and can flourish.

“Kenny was heavily involved in the Academy before we came into the club, and he understands exactly what we are trying to do in developing more ‘home grown’ players. It has been exciting for the fans to see the likes of Jon Flanagan, Jack Robinson, Martin Kelly, and Jay Spearing get playing time in the first team. Damien has considerable experience identifying young talent and is working tirelessly to make sure we have the structures in place to bring through the talent.”

One of the biggest challenges facing FSG going forward is Liverpool’s stadium dilemma and Werner insists the club are continuing to work towards finding a solution.

He added: “As we have stated, there are two options open to us – refurbishment at Anfield or a new build in Stanley Park, and both present obstacles.

“A new build is dependent on our securing a naming rights partner, and there are a number of issues to overcome if we want to add additional seats at Anfield.

“In the end we want to reach the right decision for the club and the local community. We also will not be rushed into a decision because people have been disappointed in the past by promises that were not kept.”

Werner won’t be joined at Anfield today by principal owner John Henry, who has remained in America to deal with business relating to the red sox’s failure to make the MLB play-offs.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/10/15/exclusive-liverpool-fc-chairman-tom-werner-s-tribute-to-fans-on-owners-first-anniversary-100252-29599312/3/#ixzz1apx1FEn5

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2011, 11:17:57 am »
Thankfully it wasn't you making the decisions then as Kenny wouldn't have got the managers job.

You´re not reading what I wrote, do you? I wrote, right after Fenway took over,  that I would have brought in Kenny right away  for the rest of last year in order to ensure a top 4 spot, just like Beckenbauer did at Bayern a couple of times, which was still possible and I wrote it right when they came in. Everybody was laughing back then though, when a lot of people had their doubts, I didn´t. I would have loved to see him gettin promoted president though and a young manager coming in. Would be the best of all worlds as Kenny is more or less having that role anyway at the moment. Clarke for the tactics and him leading the club. ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:26:35 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2011, 11:25:32 am »

It was about time for them, no? A couple of years ago they would have spent 56m on one or two players only... times have changed, they are not the big spenders anymore and it will have an impact on their performances on the pitch. Basel, Norwich...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:27:50 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2011, 11:46:37 am »
When he speaks to the squad, his words resonate. When he speaks to our fans, his words resonate. When he speaks to the media, they shit themselves.

;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art