Emlyn Hughes
Alan Hansen
Mark Lawerson
Sami Hyypia
Tommy Smith
Stephane Henchoz
Mark Wright
Jamie Carragher

Author Topic: The Greatest player Debate Vote Open. 1964 - 2009. Round 3 - The Centre Backs  (Read 47137 times)

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
It has to be HANSEN. There was only one other centre back in the world game better than him at the time. That was LAWRENSEN.

It's disappointing to see such a pitiful vote for Lawro, despite the great write-up. It can only be that younger fans who never saw him (and never saw Hansen either) refuse to consider voting for the sarcy fat bastard who sits on the Football Focus couch. Pity. He was everything you want in a centre back and was a major reason why Liverpool were streets ahead of any other football club in the world in the early-mid 1980s. With the Lawrenson and Hansen at the back we played keep ball wherever we went. Lawro, in particular, had the skill and calmness to work the ball out from the back every single time. He had an Iniesta-quality about him in the sense that he absoluitely didn't mind receiving the ball under pressure - "Just give the fucker to me, I'll deal with it". I don't ever remember him hoofing. He must have done it once or twice in his career, but not in front of me.

He was also lightning quick, brave, ice cool, the most beautiful slide tackler in world football, astonishing recovery place, brilliant leap and strong header of the ball, wonderfully balanced and two footed. Lawro also scored important goals.

Finally, along with Souness, he was the player of the match in Liverpool's greatest European victory (v Roma in Roma). Check out his tackle on Nela when it's 1-1. It should be knighted.

PS - Gillespie should have been on that wonderful list.
Yorky, I obviously agree with all of that and feel as though I've let down a great player with the votes he's got after my patronage.

It's a great point you make about Lawro v Hansen, there were times that Lawro was better than him and that is some compliment. Maybe because Hansen always looked better (tall/dark/elegant as opposed to Lawro's bum head and tache) or that Lawro finished a bit earlier than Jocky I don't know but he never really gets the accolade he deserves which is somewhere not far off up there with Souey and Kenny.

Maybe it is the media thing too but I'm not sure he was ever as popular as he should have been on football grounds only.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
It's strange you should say that mate.
As you can see from my write-up I was amazed at the size of Rowdie on the pitch.

It is strange, which is why I brought it up. What was Shankly's famous quote to the press on Yeats, something like, "I've just bought a new centre half. Come and walk around him." At 6' and just under 12st at that age (ahem, just a touch heavier now) I thought I'd be dwarfed when I met him. I dunno, maybe I had me beetle-crushers on.

Question for Sarge, I think. Does this mean Emlyn's excluded from further reckoning? As I said earlier, he was very much a Gerrard-type player in my memory, roving mid-fielder. Even looked a bit like Stevie, same coat-hanger shoulders and loping run, same total commitment to the tackle. Similarly I recall Smith as a Mascherano, a stopper mid-fielder. Met him too, shanklyboy, getting on a plane in Vancouver sometime in the late 70s I think, when he was playing in the states. Same reaction as with Yeats, I was surprised at how small he was. But athletes in peak condition always look slight compared to the rest of us slobs.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
It is strange, which is why I brought it up. What was Shankly's famous quote to the press on Yeats, something like, "I've just bought a new centre half. Come and walk around him." At 6' and just under 12st at that age (ahem, just a touch heavier now) I thought I'd be dwarfed when I met him. I dunno, maybe I had me beetle-crushers on.

Question for Sarge, I think. Does this mean Emlyn's excluded from further reckoning? As I said earlier, he was very much a Gerrard-type player in my memory, roving mid-fielder. Even looked a bit like Stevie, same coat-hanger shoulders and loping run, same total commitment to the tackle. Similarly I recall Smith as a Mascherano, a stopper mid-fielder. Met him too, shanklyboy, getting on a plane in Vancouver sometime in the late 70s I think, when he was playing in the states. Same reaction as with Yeats, I was surprised at how small he was. But athletes in peak condition always look slight compared to the rest of us slobs.
Don't forget people were smaller in the 60's than now. 6ft 1" then was probably 6ft 4 today.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
Don't forget people were smaller in the 60's than now. 6ft 1" then was probably 6ft 4 today.

That's that fucking decimalisation for you.I always said we got ripped off.

My Da was 6' 4" in 1969 but only 5' 3" by 1972.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan

:)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!

;D

Yes we can add Hughes into the CM voting.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Big Joe

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
Dam that was hard... I grew up with Hansen & Thommo / Lawrenson, alongside Phil Neal, Alan Kennedy, Ray Clemence etc...

I was set to name 2 of the above 3 centre backs to sit alongside the rest of the late 70s & early 80s team we seem to be reconstructing... But sentiment & the excellent Emlyn Hughes write-up has swayed my head.

Sarge - are you doing a subs bench?
It's Jocky & the Crazy Horse for me

Offline Big Joe

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
Pah! I wish I'd have read all your posts before voting. Truthfully, my memory on Emlyn had him more of a marauding midfielder than a CB. It should have been Lawrenson (the CB not the w#nkstain) alongside Hansen.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Pah! I wish I'd have read all your posts before voting. Truthfully, my memory on Emlyn had him more of a marauding midfielder than a CB. It should have been Lawrenson (the CB not the w#nkstain) alongside Hansen.

Well just shows you gotta, gotta read!!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Alan Hansen  156 (40.7%)

Sami Hyypia  72 (18.8%)

Emlyn Hughes  51 (13.3%)

Jamie Carragher  37 (9.7%)

Mark Lawerson  36 (9.4%) 

Ron Yeats  13 (3.4%)

Tommy Smith  6 (1.6%)

Phil Thompson  12 (3.1%)

Stephane Henchoz  0 (0%)
Mark Wright  0 (0%)
Y.N.W.A.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Yorky, I obviously agree with all of that and feel as though I've let down a great player with the votes he's got after my patronage.

Not at all mate. It was a great write-up. The fact you highlighted his "calmness in Rome" as one his career pinnacles shows you know your stuff. Just the first three or four minutes of that game showed how Lawrensen-Hansen were able to draw some of the venom from the home crowd. Coolest fella on the pitch (including Falcao). 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Mark Lawrenson (get his name right please) behind Jamie............. :o

#JFT97

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
If Jamie manages to snatch 5th place in this poll then I’ll consider my job a successful one.

4th

:champ :scarf
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
Sami ahead of Emlyn Hughes? RAWK, hang your heads in shame and start reading up about the club you love and watch some of our cup finals and history dvd's please.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline Slave

• shit joker - shit vicki vale too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
;D

Yes we can add Hughes into the CM voting.

What for? I mean is there really any need for write-ups and the like? Souness and Gerrard are less likely to lose the vote than Mugabe is in his 'elections'.
It is most odd.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
It has to be HANSEN. There was only one other centre back in the world game better than him at the time. That was LAWRENSEN.

I voted for Hansen and Hughes.  Hanesn for obvious reasons but Hughes partly for his versitility and sbility to bring the ball out but also for emotional reasons - his heart and his attitude and what he brought to the team as a man.  A leader of men and an inspiration to those on and off the field.  The grin on his face with big ears hoisted is one of the iconic images of LFC history.

And when they were playing, I only saw these fellas on radio and the ocassional highlights show.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sami ahead of Emlyn Hughes? RAWK, hang your heads in shame and start reading up about the club you love and watch some of our cup finals and history dvd's please.

Sami before Hughes as a centre back is not a bad shout, both of them aren't as good as Lawrenson like.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan

And when they were playing, I only saw these fellas on radio and the ocassional highlights show.

I bet it was one of those old fashioned black & white radios too!
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline uger571

• Boys Pen
Hansen and Hughes for me. But i was tempted to go for Lawrenson. Much as i love Carra now, there's no way he should be ahead of Lawrenson.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
I voted for Hansen and Hughes.  Hanesn for obvious reasons but Hughes partly for his versitility and sbility to bring the ball out but also for emotional reasons - his heart and his attitude and what he brought to the team as a man.  A leader of men and an inspiration to those on and off the field.  The grin on his face with big ears hoisted is one of the iconic images of LFC history.

Emlyn - magnificent, Gerrard-esque, player. The smile, the grin, even the outright laughter as he lifted all of our Cups was, and still is, pure Liverpool. He loved the club. But we upgraded when we got Hansen and Lawrensen I think - and we've never had that quality since (though watch out for Danny Agger).

I'd put in a word for Phil Thompson too who has a shamefully low count. He was a superb defender who tackled like Mascherano does now, getting in front of a man to nab the ball when you thought it was impossible. Thommo was a genuine innovator as well. The first defender I can remember who dropped a shoulder, feinted, pretended to tackle then withdrew, as he jockeyed someone in possession. It meant attackers were trying to guess what he was trying to do rather than the other way round! Superb.

Still not up there with Lawrenson though. Lawrenson made central defence EXCITING. He lorded it over attackers. He was pure insolence. The fastest forwards came to Anfield and were demoralised within minutes. That's why we so were great, so indomitable in those years. Love Sam, but he's not in the same class I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 10:43:10 am by yorkykopite »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline robbie77

• Kopite
Is voting closed for this?
I fucking hate Mancs.......Arrogant c*nts

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
Is voting closed for this?

This evening I think.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Closing at 6pm this evenong so those doing write-ups for the RM please forward them to me asap.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline robbie77

• Kopite
For some reason I can't vote...........Any idea why?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
For some reason I can't vote...........Any idea why?

You under 18? ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline robbie77

• Kopite
NO - Unfortunately!!!! How do you vote? I've voted for the full backs and keeper!!!!! Brain freeze I think :)

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
NO - Unfortunately!!!! How do you vote? I've voted for the full backs and keeper!!!!! Brain freeze I think :)

Click on the box.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan

You have to click on Emlyn Hughes or Ron Yeats first........that's the key which will unlock your voting rights.

Didn't Sarge tell you that?

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Emlyn - magnificent, Gerrard-esque, player. The smile, the grin, even the outright laughter as he lifted all of our Cups was, and still is, pure Liverpool. He loved the club. But we upgraded when we got Hansen and Lawrensen I think - and we've never had that quality since (though watch out for Danny Agger).

I'd put in a word for Phil Thompson too who has a shamefully low count. He was a superb defender who tackled like Mascherano does now, getting in front of a man to nab the ball when you thought it was impossible. Thommo was a genuine innovator as well. The first defender I can remember who dropped a shoulder, feinted, pretended to tackle then withdrew, as he jockeyed someone in possession. It meant attackers were trying to guess what he was trying to do rather than the other way round! Superb.

Still not up there with Lawrenson though. Lawrenson made central defence EXCITING. He lorded it over attackers. He was pure insolence. The fastest forwards came to Anfield and were demoralised within minutes. That's why we so were great, so indomitable in those years. Love Sam, but he's not in the same class I'm afraid.

Your descriptions of Lawro almost make me wish I could change my vote for the Mighty Finn!

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
Yorky - the reason I mentioned "seeing them on the radio" was because I never watched a full game with either of them. All I remember is tuning in to Saturday Special where the largeness of Hughes' personality came leaping out. I'm just disqualified from making that technical evaluation betwee Lawro and Hughes. I do envy you that. Enormously.

Offline Dardinhio

• Main Stander
  • Old School & Lovin it!!
Hansen & Lawro for me but a tough choice.
Oh whats that, Man United have won 18 Titles, oh right so. Now fuck off and annoy someone who actually gives a flying fuck you Sky Sports Drone.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Its a shame that Phil Thompson has a low count, I wonder if its his post playing career that has affected the count? Its a difficult choice as actually Hansen and Lawro worked beautifully together, but I stick by Hughes and Hansen.

Sarge, when we have the squad we gonna have a poll for capt? Hughes would still get my vote at mo!
Yep.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Sarge, when we have the squad we gonna have a poll for capt? Hughes would still get my vote at mo!

Was thinking of something along those lies yip.

So far we have

Clemence

Neal          Hansen        Hyypia          A. Kennedy

Squad: Reina, Nicol, Hughes, Lawrenson, G. Byrne.
Y.N.W.A.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Your descriptions of Lawro almost make me wish I could change my vote for the Mighty Finn!
Yorky - the reason I mentioned "seeing them on the radio" was because I never watched a full game with either of them. All I remember is tuning in to Saturday Special where the largeness of Hughes' personality came leaping out. I'm just disqualified from making that technical evaluation betwee Lawro and Hughes. I do envy you that. Enormously.

Lads, lads - we've had some superb centre backs over the years and it's fitting that RAWK's first choice - the mighty Alan Hansen - cannot command 50% of the ballot. There's no question in my mind that we've been spoilt rotten at centre back. I went for Lawro but I can see why others went for Emlyn and Big Sam. Just miffed that Lawrenson is so far back. Raul, I don't know how they described a typical Lawrenson tackle on the radio but it was like watching a telescope rapidly extend. You'd swear sometimes his right leg was over 7 feet long. He had that happy knack, too, of curling his foot around the ball and getting himself upright all in one liquid movement. What followed next - inevitably - was a quick, precise pass to a Redman in space.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Lads, lads - we've had some superb centre backs over the years and it's fitting that RAWK's first choice - the mighty Alan Hansen - cannot command 50% of the ballot. There's no question in my mind that we've been spoilt rotten at centre back. I went for Lawro but I can see why others went for Emlyn and Big Sam. Just miffed that Lawrenson is so far back. Raul, I don't know how they described a typical Lawrenson tackle on the radio but it was like watching a telescope rapidly extend. You'd swear sometimes his right leg was over 7 feet long. He had that happy knack, too, of curling his foot around the ball and getting himself upright all in one liquid movement. What followed next - inevitably - was a quick, precise pass to a Redman in space.

And part of the reason why i went for him and Hansen.
Y.N.W.A.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
And part of the reason why i went for him and Hansen.

Sarge, you organised the poll. Can't you do an Ahmadinejad and give yourself an extra 20 million votes?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Sarge, you organised the poll. Can't you do an Ahmadinejad and give yourself an extra 20 million votes?

I never played for Liverpool. ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
I can't understand how people can choose Sami over Jamie..
Yep.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
I can't understand how people can choose Sami over Jamie..

to be honest i would and i think Sami is a better all-round defender. What you think of the team and squad so far its a mix of era's so far which is a good thing.
Y.N.W.A.