Author Topic: David Moores  (Read 123398 times)

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
Re: David Moores
« Reply #240 on: March 23, 2010, 04:35:50 pm »
Totally bereft of business acumen though otherwise we wouldn't be in this mess. Doubt that his heart would be in it for repurchase even IF he could afford it.

He is not bereft of business acumen, as has been detailed elsewhere. Mindful of the fact that he trousered £80m from the LFC disposal, the Littlewoods retail sale realised £750m and the Pools sale £161m ( not all of the latter two went to him of course) he is well able to afford to buy back into LFC. But why would he want to? He sold to get out.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Curva Nord '77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: March 23, 2010, 08:02:34 pm »
Moores sold Littlwoods Pools,Retail and us at the top of the market, that shows considerable business acumen.He also sold us acknowledging that he could do no more with the club, and had no desire to do so.

His regime was running on the momentum of the past two and a half decades of success and was characterised by poor decison making, and a failure to invest in the infra structure of the club

sorry to piss on your bonfire mate but Davey Boy had fuck all to do with the running of Littlewoods.

He might have the carried the Moores name but the likes of Phillip Carter, Desmond Pitcher and then the Barclay brothers - once the "Liverpool loving" bastards sold out to them did the running of Littlewoods. Sir John ran it for years before those named above.

Anyone that worked in Littlewoods knew that once Sir John went the rest of the jackals, sorry "family" would look to sell off what they could and fuck off with the cash.

The apple as far as David Moores is concerned - did not fall far from the tree.

G and H have no issues in shafting people and the Moores family - and crocodile tears David - don't have an issue either.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #242 on: March 23, 2010, 09:47:27 pm »
He is not bereft of business acumen, as has been detailed elsewhere. Mindful of the fact that he trousered £80m from the LFC disposal, the Littlewoods retail sale realised £750m and the Pools sale £161m ( not all of the latter two went to him of course) he is well able to afford to buy back into LFC. But why would he want to? He sold to get out.
I don't agree mate. He took the best price for him personally from Hicks & Gillett that didn't take much skill  and as for him getting out of the pools business at the top well  the lotto had become the gamble of choice for many so it  was an easy decision but he may  have got more had he sold 12 months earlier who knows? Now that would have been business acumen.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline mugsy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #243 on: March 24, 2010, 01:36:11 am »
sorry to piss on your bonfire mate but Davey Boy had fuck all to do with the running of Littlewoods.

He might have the carried the Moores name but the likes of Phillip Carter, Desmond Pitcher and then the Barclay brothers - once the "Liverpool loving" bastards sold out to them did the running of Littlewoods. Sir John ran it for years before those named above.

Anyone that worked in Littlewoods knew that once Sir John went the rest of the jackals, sorry "family" would look to sell off what they could and fuck off with the cash.

The apple as far as David Moores is concerned - did not fall far from the tree.

G and H have no issues in shafting people and the Moores family - and crocodile tears David - don't have an issue either.

I know people who work at Littlewoods and I agree with your summary regarding Moores.  He is a businessman and he is just as slimey as the Americans.  But worse because he professed to be a Liverpool supporter.  He lied just as much as they have.  Do people really think he cries about the state LFC is in now.  Why should he, he is a very rich man with a healthy life style.  Do you all think he cried when his family sold companies and made people redundant.  Its about time people really woke up to what the man is really like.
To all lurkers from other clubs "greetings!"

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: March 24, 2010, 10:12:37 am »
I don't agree mate. He took the best price for him personally from Hicks & Gillett that didn't take much skill  and as for him getting out of the pools business at the top well  the lotto had become the gamble of choice for many so it  was an easy decision but he may  have got more had he sold 12 months earlier who knows? Now that would have been business acumen.

You quote ifs and maybe's, he did it. I am not defending Moores, far from it. He succeeded at what he did, making money for himself, how easy it was will always be a debate conducted with the benefit of hindsight.

I simply make the point that I believe the critisism of Moores for selling, which was the right decision, is wrong, and detracts from  judgement on his 17 year regime which was a failure.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: March 24, 2010, 02:30:09 pm »
Well we agree on one thing Xerxes that Moore's tenure was the catalyst in where we are heading today. The club was run like a hobby and we have ultimately missed the big premiership income boat.The stadium should have been long built with nothing like the debt we see today.
But, i do think if he was half as good at business as you seem to think he was then we wouldn't be in this mess now.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: March 24, 2010, 03:00:59 pm »
Well we agree on one thing Xerxes that Moore's tenure was the catalyst in where we are heading today. The club was run like a hobby and we have ultimately missed the big Premier League income boat.The stadium should have been long built with nothing like the debt we see today.
But, i do think if he was half as good at business as you seem to think he was then we wouldn't be in this mess now.

Billy, really we are like two bald men fighting over a comb. We 100% agree that Moores is responsible for where we are now.

I think that the difference between us is in the definition of business acumen. I think that in feathering his own nest, you can't fault him. If the definition involves doing what is best for LFC you most definitely can.

Offline JanMolby05

• Anny Roader
  • is right
« Reply #247 on: March 24, 2010, 03:06:18 pm »
he's a bellend
"If my assistant referee had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off keeper Petr Cech."

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: March 24, 2010, 05:45:50 pm »

I think that the difference between us is in the definition of business acumen. I think that in feathering his own nest, you can't fault him. If the definition involves doing what is best for LFC you most definitely can.

That's what i was attemting to say lol.

Agree 100%.

Offline astrored

• is this the worst custom title in living memory?...
  • Anny Roader
  • Paradox
« Reply #249 on: March 25, 2010, 06:57:46 am »
David Moores put the final nail in the coffin.  Rick Parry assisted him.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: March 25, 2010, 07:20:24 pm »
Here are sections of the the recommendation offer to shareholders from February 2007.

Be warned, despite it being almost comical it does make for stomach churning reading.

Recommended Cash Offer
                                                                                                    by
                                                                                    Kop Football Limited ('Kop')
                                                                                                   For
                                                            The Liverpool Football Club And Athletic Grounds Plc
                                                                                             ('Liverpool')

Summary and Highlights

The Boards of Kop and Liverpool are pleased to announce that they have agreed the terms of a recommended cash offer to be made by Kop to acquire the entire issued share capital of Liverpool.

The Offer is £5,000 in cash for each Liverpool Share, valuing the issued share capital of Liverpool at approximately £174.1 million. Together with the £44.8 million of net debt in the Club as at 31 December 2006, this represents an enterprise value for Liverpool of £218.9 million.

The Board of Liverpool unanimously recommends that Liverpool Shareholders accept the Offer. In considering the reasonableness of the Offer, the Liverpool Board has taken the following considerations into account:

Kop has indicated its intention to build, as soon as reasonably practicable, the proposed new 60,000 seat stadium at Stanley Park for which the Club has already received planning permission and to facilitate the financing of its construction;

Kop has indicated that it is committed to an annual budget for player transfers and is able to supplement this should Liverpool's management and Kop agree additional funds are required; and Kop is supportive of both the current executives and the football team management at Liverpool to provide stability to the Club.

To uphold the traditions of Liverpool, the Board of Kop has undertaken to continue the existing informal shareholder ticketing arrangements such that, subject to the Offer becoming or being declared unconditional in all respects, Liverpool Shareholders who validly accept the Offer in respect of the Liverpool shares which they held as at the Priority Tickets Relevant Time, will receive lifetime priority ticket purchasing rights, giving them priority rights to purchase tickets for home cup matches, cup finals and a season ticket for the new stadium (for those who are not already season ticket holders).

Commenting on the Offer, George Gillett Jnr. and Thomas O. Hicks said:

'Liverpool is a fantastic club with a remarkable history and a passionate fanbase. We fully acknowledge and appreciate the unique heritage and rich history of Liverpool and intend to respect this heritage in the future. The Hicks family and the Gillett family are extremely excited about continuing the Club's legacy and tradition.'

David Moores, Chairman of Liverpool, said:

'I believe this is a great step forward for Liverpool, its shareholders and its fans. This Club is my passion and forms a huge part of my life. After much careful consideration, I have agreed to sell my shares to assist in securing the investment needed for the new stadium and for the playing squad. I urge all my fellow shareholders to do the same and to support the offer. By doing so, I believe you will be backing the successful future of Liverpool Football Club. I am also delighted to accept the offer from the Hicks and Gillett families to continue my involvement in the Club by becoming Honorary Life President.'

3.                  Intentions for the Club

The Gillett and Hicks families are extremely enthusiastic about the possibility of continuing the legacy of such a prestigious and unique club. The families are ambitious and will strive to ensure that the Club is in the best position
possible to achieve sustained, on-pitch success and long term stability. The families' ownership of the Club will be a multi-generational family commitment to invest in and develop the Club and the families hope that ultimately and over time, the Gillett and Hicks names become as synonymous with the Club as the
Moores' name is today.

The families are well aware of the importance of investment in new players to achieve on-pitch success and as such are prepared to commit resources to make appropriate investment in the playing squad. The Gillett family's investment in the Montreal Canadiens demonstrates its belief in investing in teams to generate success. The Gillett family has invested in the Canadiens playing squad to the maximum allowable level as permitted by the National Hockey League. Likewise, Thomas O. Hicks has demonstrated his commitment to winning through his ownership
and continual investment in the playing squads of both the Dallas Stars and Texas Rangers.

The Gillett and Hicks families have a strong appreciation of the special tradition and heritage of the Club and will do everything in their power to uphold the cherished traditions and continue to enhance the reputation of the Club. Liverpool Football Club is a club of outstanding historical wealth and the Gillett and Hicks families hope that they can be a part of a successful future at the Club, together with the players, manager, coaches, staff members and,
most importantly, the fans.

Kop understands that to ensure that the Club remains as one of the top clubs in the FA Premier League it needs to move to a new state of the art stadium with an increased capacity from its current home of Anfield. As such, the families have indicated their intention to take forward the Stanley Park development, for which planning permission has already been received, and intend to commence the process of building one of the leading stadia in Europe. Kop recognises the importance of a new stadium to the Club and its objective is to ensure that the Club has the appropriate resources and infrastructure for a football club with the history and stature in the world of football which Liverpool has and in order to continue to compete at the highest level of club football.

7.                       Background to and reasons for the Offer

Despite its strong track record, over recent years the Club's Board has actively sought new investment to enable the Club to continue to compete at the highest level, as well as to realise the Club's ambitions of moving to a new stadium located at Stanley Park. As a pre-requisite to any investment, the Board required that any new investor appreciated both the need for continued player funding and to facilitate the building of the new stadium at Stanley Park. It was equally important to the Board of Liverpool that any new investor understood and appreciated Liverpool's unique heritage and tradition built up over so many years.

Kop is fully aware of the current requirements of Liverpool and accordingly,
Kop:    intends to build, as soon as reasonably practicable, the proposed new 60,000 seat stadium at Stanley Park for which the Club has already received planning permission and to facilitate the financing of its construction;

is committed to an annual budget for player transfers and is able to supplement this should Liverpool's management and Kop agree additional funds are required; and is supportive of both the current executives and football team  management at Liverpool to provide stability to the Club.

I think that's enough for now.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: March 26, 2010, 12:32:08 am »
A timely reminder of what was said at the time Shanklyboy, it does indeed make for uncomfortable reading.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #252 on: March 26, 2010, 06:32:43 am »
I wouldn't say uncomfortable, i'd say "fills me with rage" reading that. One fucking lie after another, line on line.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline fivein05

• Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: March 26, 2010, 07:02:04 am »
Lies, Lies half-truths and Lies.
One poster on this site is going to let me down this season! Don't let it be you!

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #254 on: March 26, 2010, 08:46:27 am »
Its like reading that south park book from the latest episode.

Offline Dave_the_Red

• Kopite
« Reply #255 on: March 26, 2010, 09:13:22 am »
he's a bellend

Just about sums the feckless buffoon up for me.

Offline col64

• Anny Roader
« Reply #256 on: March 26, 2010, 09:52:07 am »
It`s nice to see they `Fully understand `
Well understand this ,
P OFF YOUR NOT WANTED IN OUR CLUB , YOU LYING COWBOYS !( please note lack of abusive language )

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2010, 10:01:38 am »
David Moores gives fuck all about LFC as his silence on the sorry state of affairs clearly show.

He can feck right off.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: March 26, 2010, 10:07:37 am »
I used to think that Moores cared and like the rest of us cried when we lost. Now however, after all this time and still nothing from him i doubt that very much.

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #259 on: March 26, 2010, 11:20:47 am »
That recommendation offer to shareholders from February 2007 is appalling in the light of what has followed.

Lie after lie after lie.

That should be presented to Moores and Parry in a nice gilt-edged frame and they should be made to read it aloud once every day.
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: March 26, 2010, 12:10:18 pm »
David Moores gives fuck all about LFC as his silence on the sorry state of affairs clearly show.

come to think of it the things he said to those lads who went to his house were probably said to get rid of them

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: March 26, 2010, 12:29:12 pm »
come to think of it the things he said to those lads who went to his house were probably said to get rid of them
That had crossed my mind too. More silence. The man is like an Ostrich.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #262 on: March 26, 2010, 02:16:21 pm »
I wouldn't say uncomfortable, i'd say "fills me with rage" reading that. One fucking lie after another, line on line.
Pretty much every word in the document is a lie
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline lawrie

• Legacy Fan
  • Done the treble
« Reply #263 on: March 26, 2010, 05:39:00 pm »
That had crossed my mind too. More silence. The man is like an Ostrich.

I should consider becoming an ostrich because thinking about them two chancers and what they've done to our club makes me feel physically sick

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #264 on: March 26, 2010, 07:06:27 pm »
Not so much an ostrich more a cunning fox or a weasel, imagines discussion with the judas parry

well David the Dic offer is good but they need an answer soon, but meanwhile i have found these two guys from the USA who seem a bit dodgy but they will put more money in our pockets, so what do you want established people from Dic who are a safe pair of hands or shall we gamble with the clubs good name and future to give us a better payday!

Dont be silly Rick why wait we will risk the better offer and then if it hits the fan we can claim they conned us as well. Its only a football club anyway!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Raz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: March 28, 2010, 09:03:19 pm »
So is he doing anything or what?!
He then starts trying to punch the ghost and starts telling it to fuck off

Offline stfabians

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #266 on: March 29, 2010, 01:40:29 pm »
With DIC, parry would have lost his job, Moores didn't want this because parry had done an awesome job  ::)

He also probably thinks the yank have done just as good a job  :butt

The man is an idiot

Offline kermit^

• Anny Roader
« Reply #267 on: March 29, 2010, 06:09:39 pm »
Not so much an ostrich more a cunning fox or a weasel, imagines discussion with the judas parry

well David the Dic offer is good but they need an answer soon, but meanwhile i have found these two guys from the USA who seem a bit dodgy but they will put more money in our pockets, so what do you want established people from Dic who are a safe pair of hands or shall we gamble with the clubs good name and future to give us a better payday!

Dont be silly Rick why wait we will risk the better offer and then if it hits the fan we can claim they conned us as well. Its only a football club anyway!

Wow, were you in the room during the discussion? :)
LFC (Liverpool F*ck-up Cycle):
1. new owner(s) says all the right things to win us over
2. give the mgr some money to spend
3. refinance the club with debts behind our back
4. got found out by us
5. sale process all over again
*meanwhile during the cycle, we'll be around mid-table challenging for 4th spot.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: March 30, 2010, 01:42:51 am »
With DIC, parry would have lost his job, Moores didn't want this because parry had done an awesome job  ::)

He also probably thinks the yank have done just as good a job  :butt

The man is an idiot

Probably the extra 9 million he received, might just of swayed it for the stupid c*nt.

Offline Igor Zidane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #269 on: April 2, 2010, 07:56:09 pm »
Fair comment i reckon  . From the mirror after all .

Why Liverpool fans should blame Moores and Parry as much as Hicks and Gillett

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion ... 77623.html

It was clear to see just how big Liverpool Football Club really are this week.

Benfica’s magnificent Stadium of Light rarely sells out, even when Portugal are there playing World Cup qualifiers.

On Thursday night, almost 63,000 were packed into the stadium to watch two of Europe’s great names lock horns.

The Europa League is regarded as a poor man’s competition now that the best countries can enter three or four clubs into the Champions League.

But I spoke to a few locals – and they all told me the same thing: they were there because it was Liverpool, the five-time European Cup holders.

They wanted to see Gerrard and Torres, but they still remembered Keegan and Dalglish.

Only a handful of clubs in the world have that kind of pulling power.

The Benfica supporters I met were mystified as to why Liverpool had fallen so far behind Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal this season.

The easy answer, of course, is to blame the club’s co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

No team will improve without investment and the bottom line is that Rafa Benitez has not been given enough cash to compete at the very top of the Premier League.

But that is only part of the answer.

Benfica’s fans will get a better idea of why Liverpool have fallen behind the top three when they visit Anfield for the second leg.

The stadium, and in particular the Kop, is all part of the worldwide legend of Liverpool.

But with a capacity of 44,000 and with facilities that are poor in comparison to those on offer at many other English grounds it does not generate the kind of money that a club of Liverpool’s size should be banking.

Hicks and Gillett have, of course failed to deliver the new stadium at Stanley Park they promised when they bought the club three years ago.

But what the two Americans can’t be blamed for is the lack of foresight and ambition of previous custodians of the club.

Manchester United, under the ownership of Martin Edwards and then the chief executive leadership of David Gill, developed the Old Trafford infrastructure to match the club’s size.

David Moores and Rick Parry should have been doing exactly the same thing at Liverpool, if not at Anfield then with a new stadium. Just like Arsenal did.

When Liverpool’s fans are looking for scapegoats, they shouldn’t just blame those with American accents.

SOS No 821

Offline stfabians

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #270 on: April 7, 2010, 08:18:49 am »
I can't believe this man lives in or around the city and doesn't get given a hard time!!  I'd love to meet this man, I'd scream my lungs out at him, of all the people in the world this is the man who gets under my skin.  Problem is he's so thick he wouldn't understand what im saying.  Liverpool have had some amazing people at the club, how many times do you hear former reds mention Peter Robinson, in many ways the first modern leader of a footballing business.

Offline Bamba

• La?
  • Main Stander
« Reply #271 on: April 7, 2010, 10:49:31 am »
 Liverpool have had some amazing people at the club, how many times do you hear former reds mention Peter Robinson, in many ways the first modern leader of a footballing business.
[/quote]

What? Peter Robinson who perpetuated the "It was Chelsea/the NF/ anyone but us who kicked it off at Heysel"? Peter Robinson who gave us The McDonald's Family Kop? Do us a favour. And since when did "Former Reds" become the oracle? My all-time footballing hero is currently taking The King's shilling from Gillett and Hicks instead of leading the fight aginst them, so don't come on here giving it the internet bellow about morality in football you tit. There is none.

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepared to die for the King!
« Reply #272 on: April 7, 2010, 11:37:22 am »
Liverpool have had some amazing people at the club, how many times do you hear former reds mention Peter Robinson, in many ways the first modern leader of a footballing business.

What? Peter Robinson who perpetuated the "It was Chelsea/the NF/ anyone but us who kicked it off at Heysel"? Peter Robinson who gave us The McDonald's Family Kop? Do us a favour. And since when did "Former Reds" become the oracle? My all-time footballing hero is currently taking The King's shilling from Gillett and Hicks instead of leading the fight aginst them, so don't come on here giving it the internet bellow about morality in football you tit. There is none.
I just don't get people like you, who on the one hand will moan about the lack of investment and our inability to compete and on the other hand cry out for then old traditions which means sacred names must never change. So what that the club received money for having an area named after a fast food chain, it is after all just a name. Our history does not get bismerched by such treachery.

Peter Robinson will probably never get the full recognition for his contribution but he precided over the club during its most successful period and during that time broke many a transfer record to bring the best players to Anfield.

On Heysel, it was not Robinson but John Smith who acted in an attempt to deflect criticism against the club and the city and at the time everyone in Liverpool themsleves hid behind the excuses. The same John Smith who had at both Heysel and Hillsborough written to the footballing authorities to beg them to reconsider the choice of venue or which end of the ground should be given to Liverpool.

So what will it be a romantic notion that progress can be made in todays world without commercialism and everyone in the past should be cast out for keeping the club at the top for so long?

Offline r1ch

• Main Stander
« Reply #273 on: April 7, 2010, 02:21:05 pm »
Fair comment i reckon  . From the mirror after all .

Why Liverpool fans should blame Moores and Parry as much as Hicks and Gillett

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion ... 77623.html

It was clear to see just how big Liverpool Football Club really are this week.

Benfica’s magnificent Stadium of Light rarely sells out, even when Portugal are there playing World Cup qualifiers.

On Thursday night, almost 63,000 were packed into the stadium to watch two of Europe’s great names lock horns.

The Europa League is regarded as a poor man’s competition now that the best countries can enter three or four clubs into the Champions League.

But I spoke to a few locals – and they all told me the same thing: they were there because it was Liverpool, the five-time European Cup holders.

They wanted to see Gerrard and Torres, but they still remembered Keegan and Dalglish.

Only a handful of clubs in the world have that kind of pulling power.

The Benfica supporters I met were mystified as to why Liverpool had fallen so far behind Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal this season.

The easy answer, of course, is to blame the club’s co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

No team will improve without investment and the bottom line is that Rafa Benitez has not been given enough cash to compete at the very top of the Premier League.

But that is only part of the answer.

Benfica’s fans will get a better idea of why Liverpool have fallen behind the top three when they visit Anfield for the second leg.

The stadium, and in particular the Kop, is all part of the worldwide legend of Liverpool.

But with a capacity of 44,000 and with facilities that are poor in comparison to those on offer at many other English grounds it does not generate the kind of money that a club of Liverpool’s size should be banking.

Hicks and Gillett have, of course failed to deliver the new stadium at Stanley Park they promised when they bought the club three years ago.

But what the two Americans can’t be blamed for is the lack of foresight and ambition of previous custodians of the club.

Manchester United, under the ownership of Martin Edwards and then the chief executive leadership of David Gill, developed the Old Trafford infrastructure to match the club’s size.

David Moores and Rick Parry should have been doing exactly the same thing at Liverpool, if not at Anfield then with a new stadium. Just like Arsenal did.

When Liverpool’s fans are looking for scapegoats, they shouldn’t just blame those with American accents.

I wish we saw more forum posts of of these articles than another "sack rafa" thread.

Here's the link in case anyone couldn't find it:
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/simon-mullock/Why-Liverpool-fans-should-blame-David-Moores-and-Rick-Parry-as-much-as-Tom-Hicks-and-George-Gillett-for-failure-to-move-on-The-Simon-Mullock-Column-article377623.html

Offline stfabians

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #274 on: April 7, 2010, 04:55:36 pm »
I just don't get people like you, who on the one hand will moan about the lack of investment and our inability to compete and on the other hand cry out for then old traditions which means sacred names must never change. So what that the club received money for having an area named after a fast food chain, it is after all just a name. Our history does not get bismerched by such treachery.

Peter Robinson will probably never get the full recognition for his contribution but he precided over the club during its most successful period and during that time broke many a transfer record to bring the best players to Anfield.

On Heysel, it was not Robinson but John Smith who acted in an attempt to deflect criticism against the club and the city and at the time everyone in Liverpool themsleves hid behind the excuses. The same John Smith who had at both Heysel and Hillsborough written to the footballing authorities to beg them to reconsider the choice of venue or which end of the ground should be given to Liverpool.

So what will it be a romantic notion that progress can be made in todays world without commercialism and everyone in the past should be cast out for keeping the club at the top for so long?

Excellent post, Peter Robinson will never get the acclaims he deserves because of people like sky sports and in your face ceo's like Kenyon.  But then the man wouldn't want it as he did his job with dignity, respect and he did it for LFC and not Peter Robinson.  The amount of times I hear his name from former manager and players is just sensational, and that's the acclaim this great man would want. We would never have had the success we had without him, and if we still had him we would never have had G&H!!!!!!!

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: April 9, 2010, 10:01:02 am »
Another vote for Robinson, the exact sort of person who needs to be on the board right now.

As for Heysel, we handled it badly,  the ugly culmination of years of poor behaviour by English fans in general, with us significant players. Equally, Smiths and Robinsons misjudgements in their reaction, were coloured by years of misjudgement by the FA and League in dealing with hooliganism.

The LFC board of the 60s/70s/80s was made up of men who knew football, its administration and the City.
Moores in his complacency allowed all that to unravel culminating in the current disasrerous situtaion wherethere is NO-ONE on the board with ANY football, or football administration knowledge at all.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #276 on: April 9, 2010, 05:20:52 pm »
This would be the same Robinson who enthusiastically and energetically did his master's bidding to cause distress to the beveaved families and survivor members of the HJC in their exclusion from any kind of acknowledgement by the club?  The same Robinson who behaved like a thug and a bully to members of the HJC invited to the AGM as some of my proxies?  A great man eh?  I suppose it depends how low one sets the bar to measure greatness doesn't it?  Lower than a snake's belly in his case. 
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline paul j

• Kopite
  • liverpool f.c is my religion.
« Reply #277 on: April 9, 2010, 06:27:03 pm »
yes peter robinson was good but lets not kid ourselves that he was the greatest.when we were winning everything left,right and centre why didn't we capitalise on it.while the mancs were building purpose built club shops we had nothing more than a hut,why is it only now that we are making the most the liverpool name.after hillsborough why didn't we build the centenary stand round to include the annie road?
5 stars upon my shirt.
i am scouse not english.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #278 on: April 9, 2010, 06:36:06 pm »
This would be the same Robinson who enthusiastically and energetically did his master's bidding to cause distress to the beveaved families and survivor members of the HJC in their exclusion from any kind of acknowledgement by the club?  The same Robinson who behaved like a thug and a bully to members of the HJC invited to the AGM as some of my proxies?  A great man eh?  I suppose it depends how low one sets the bar to measure greatness doesn't it?  Lower than a snake's belly in his case. 

Sums him up really.

Offline Kloofster

• Main Stander
  • ...Liverpool lead in stoppage time
« Reply #279 on: May 26, 2010, 07:02:49 am »
Clearly the letter has been written for him and quite frankly it is an appalling exercise in denial.  It was immediately obvious that H&G didn't have the spare cash to buy the club so they were always going to have to borrow the money. How else did they expect the servicing costs of this debt to be paid other than out of the clubs coffers? To blame PWC, Rothschilds, Steve Morgan or the fans (as he seems to do) for this obvious point is astonishing.

Far better if he had written his own letter and put his hand-up to an astonishing act of incompetence and betrayal.