Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1045984 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #15360 on: September 3, 2020, 09:59:34 am »
A pair of moleys should be able to get a grip on them too.
Here's one - just need another......

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #15361 on: September 3, 2020, 10:07:31 am »
A pair of moleys should be able to get a grip on them too.

Mole Grips! Haven't used them since it became impossible to carry out any form of service on my car.

At the beginning of lockdown I sorted out the garage and stared fondly at my ancient Imperial socket set bought from Kelly's Hardware in Renshaw Street in 1972.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #15362 on: September 3, 2020, 10:18:11 am »
Here's one - just need another......

If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15363 on: September 3, 2020, 10:23:01 am »
Mole Grips! Haven't used them since it became impossible to carry out any form of service on my car.

At the beginning of lockdown I sorted out the garage and stared fondly at my ancient Imperial socket set bought from Kelly's Hardware in Renshaw Street in 1972.

Used mine a couple of months ago to do something on my bike, they can be so handy when used properly.

Got loads of old imperial sockets and spanners to go to the recyclers
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15364 on: September 3, 2020, 05:31:05 pm »
I moved into a new flat about two weeks ago and there's a smoke detector on the ceiling adjacent to the bathroom.

For some reason in the last day or so, whenever I open or close the bathroom door, the detector lets off a beep or two a few seconds after the door opening/closing motion is complete. It didn't do this when we first moved in, and doesn't beep at any other time except when there's lots of steam coming out of the open bathroom door after a hot shower/bath.

Does anyone have a theory as to why the smoke detector would be doing this?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #15365 on: September 3, 2020, 05:32:35 pm »
I moved into a new flat about two weeks ago and there's a smoke detector on the ceiling adjacent to the bathroom.

For some reason in the last day or so, whenever I open or close the bathroom door, the detector lets off a beep or two a few seconds after the door opening/closing motion is complete. It didn't do this when we first moved in, and doesn't beep at any other time except when there's lots of steam coming out of the open bathroom door after a hot shower/bath.

The battery is depleted?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15366 on: September 3, 2020, 05:45:20 pm »
Ghosts?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15367 on: September 3, 2020, 05:49:37 pm »

Its detecting the steam. Ours goes off if we leave the bathroom door open during or after a shower and the steam comes out.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #15368 on: September 3, 2020, 08:08:14 pm »
Was the word ‘conglomerate’ widely used before Succession came out?

I just finished watching Succession about 3 weeks ago and I am sure it was either the first time I heard the word or first time I had heard it in years, but now I hear it everywhere. It was used on TAW recently, I recall.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15369 on: September 3, 2020, 08:20:06 pm »

I just finished watching Succession about 3 weeks ago and I am sure it was either the first time I heard the word or first time I had heard it in years, but now I hear it everywhere. It was used on TAW recently, I recall.
This sounds like a good example of the Baader  Meinhof phenomenon.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15370 on: September 3, 2020, 09:34:10 pm »

I’m sure I heard it in an old advert for Prudential back in the 80s. :D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15371 on: September 3, 2020, 09:42:00 pm »
I’m sure I heard it in an old advert for Prudential back in the 80s. :D

Well. For those of us who aren’t old gits. ;)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15372 on: September 3, 2020, 09:43:04 pm »
This sounds like a good example of the Baader  Meinhof phenomenon.

Maybe. I did know there was a term for similar - like the pregnant woman/crutches example. But I’m not ever sure I have heard this word before - that is why I think it stuck out.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15373 on: September 3, 2020, 09:43:19 pm »
Yeah it’s quite a commonly used term, although a lot use it incorrectly thinking it’s just another term for a big business, but it’s for a business which is in multiple different industries.

Think it’s definitely more of an American term though.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15374 on: September 3, 2020, 10:07:26 pm »
Yeah it’s quite a commonly used term, although a lot use it incorrectly thinking it’s just another term for a big business, but it’s for a business which is in multiple different industries.

Think it’s definitely more of an American term though.

Fairly common over here, usually accompanied at some point by the term "synergy," a fabulous example of corporate-speak...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15375 on: September 4, 2020, 12:05:58 pm »
Called to add a 2nd driver to my insurance.

1st of all they said this can't be done on a temporary basis, and has to be until the end of the policy.
Then after taking the details, they told me they can't add the person on, and one of the reasons could be that they haven't had their licence for 10 years.

I've had this person on previous policies temporarily, and I haven't had my licence for 10 years either. Anyone heard of this before?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15376 on: September 4, 2020, 12:13:19 pm »
Seems a very strange one. I had an old mate over from New Zealand and wanted to put him on my car for 2 weeks as a runaround while he was here and that was no problem, they charged me £1, couldnt believe it was so cheap. I know beiong over 50 is a plus but that seems harsh, maybe ask him to get a quote for himself as a one off policy for the time needed or get back to them and ask to speak to someone more senior or knowledgeable.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15377 on: September 4, 2020, 12:15:28 pm »
I used to get added onto my sisters car sometimes for a short period but her insurance ended up making her do it for the rest of the policy term. This was a few years ago now.

Not heard anything about the 10yr rule personally, seems a very long time to expect someone to have had their license before allowing them to be added.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15378 on: September 4, 2020, 12:32:48 pm »
I've had her on my policy on at least 3 other occasions for short periods of time. I only passed my test 8 years ago, 7 for her. Bit weird that they are willing to insure me but not willing to add a 2nd driver and use that as a possible reason.

Not overly bothered. It's of no inconvenience to me.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15379 on: September 4, 2020, 12:34:24 pm »
I've had her on my policy on at least 3 other occasions for short periods of time. I only passed my test 8 years ago, 7 for her. Bit weird that they are willing to insure me but not willing to add a 2nd driver and use that as a possible reason.

Not overly bothered. It's of no inconvenience to me.

My missus is the second driver on mine and has been since the day she passed her test.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15380 on: September 4, 2020, 12:39:29 pm »
This is my ex missus, who I don't really like, and I'm sort of glad so I don't have to feel uneasy about telling her I don't want her using my car  ;D

Was causing a bit of agro with my current missus who always cracked up when she found out I had let her use it. I didn't really see the big deal given it was just sitting at the train station all day and she'd have caused some shit one way or another if I said no. Now I have a valid reason for saying no  ;D

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15381 on: September 4, 2020, 12:40:08 pm »
This is my ex missus, who I don't really like, and I'm sort of glad so I don't have to feel uneasy about telling her I don't want her using my car  ;D

Was causing a bit of agro with my current missus who always cracked up when she found out I had let her use it. I didn't really see the big deal given it was just sitting at the train station all day and she'd have caused some shit one way or another if I said no. Now I have a valid reason for saying no  ;D

I mean I can maybe think of about 5 valid reasons and I don't even know her  ;D

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15382 on: September 4, 2020, 12:44:36 pm »
How does redundancy work? Last time I got made redundancy, I was given two months pay as I'd been there 2 years but my current employer are mentioning settlement agreement and that I have to run it by an employment solicitor, not sure I quite understand. Got the below

you will be send a Settlement Agreement to your personal email via our solicitors, once you receive this you will need to seek a employment solicitor to review it for you.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15383 on: September 4, 2020, 12:44:47 pm »
I mean I can maybe think of about 5 valid reasons and I don't even know her  ;D

Well, I could say "No, you're a fucking vile piece of shit and I don't want you anywhere near it," but it's the consequences of such a statement that I have to avoid.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #15384 on: September 4, 2020, 12:47:31 pm »
Now I have a valid reason for saying no  ;D

There are dedicated short term insurance companies out there now like Cuvva who would do it for you, sorry ;)

https://www.cuvva.com/car-insurance/temporary

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15385 on: September 4, 2020, 12:48:36 pm »
How does redundancy work? Last time I got made redundancy, I was given two months pay as I'd been there 2 years but my current employer are mentioning settlement agreement and that I have to run it by an employment solicitor, not sure I quite understand. Got the below

you will be send a Settlement Agreement to your personal email via our solicitors, once you receive this you will need to seek a employment solicitor to review it for you.

Not sure how old you are, but the UK statutory redundancy amount is 1 week for every year worked between 22 and 41, and 1.5 weeks pay for 41+, capped at 20 years. Max weekly amount is £538.

Unless your employer has a redundancy scheme of their own?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15386 on: September 4, 2020, 05:58:16 pm »
Well, I could say "No, you're a fucking vile piece of shit and I don't want you anywhere near it," but it's the consequences of such a statement that I have to avoid.

I'm really sorry, but this wall collapsed onto your car...

Used to get insured on my stepdads car before I got mine, so up til 2016 when I had it while he was on holiday, always just 2 weeks at a time and he never had issues getting me insured. Maybe they read RAWK and just didn't want to take the risk?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15387 on: September 4, 2020, 07:41:40 pm »
Car insurers change their criteria. Them accepting something in the past is no guarantee they will now.

Could be your current insurer just don't really want to offer temporary extra driver insurance anymore as it doesn't fit their risk criteria.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15388 on: September 6, 2020, 12:53:26 pm »
When we move to France will we be able to use our existing electrical appliances with plug adapters or is it recommended to buy new everything?

I'm thinking tvs, ps4/5, decks, amps, speakers, vacuum cleaner, coffee machine, bread maker etc but not white goods.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15389 on: September 6, 2020, 02:50:36 pm »
When we move to France will we be able to use our existing electrical appliances with plug adapters or is it recommended to buy new everything?

I'm thinking tvs, ps4/5, decks, amps, speakers, vacuum cleaner, coffee machine, bread maker etc but not white goods.

The French run on 230v supply, same as the UK, so cannot see any issue. The missus has UK bought straighteners, cloud 9s and its wired with a Euro 2 pin plug, which clips into a UK 3 pin. I'd probably look at rewiring the plugs to 2 pins just for convenience.

« Last Edit: September 6, 2020, 02:55:08 pm by rob19:6 "And yeah doth the Lord liketh trucking." »

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15390 on: September 6, 2020, 03:29:57 pm »
The French run on 230v supply, same as the UK, so cannot see any issue. The missus has UK bought straighteners, cloud 9s and its wired with a Euro 2 pin plug, which clips into a UK 3 pin. I'd probably look at rewiring the plugs to 2 pins just for convenience.

Thanks Rob I had already considered that but wasn't sure if the voltage was the same. 

That's saved us a bit of dosh then [emoji16]

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #15391 on: September 6, 2020, 04:41:27 pm »

You don't pay the employment solicitor, they do. Drop me a PM and I can sort you out if you like. The employment solicitor at my firm is a top red.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2020, 04:47:06 pm by Jake »
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15392 on: September 7, 2020, 12:48:09 am »
Anyone ever had an allergy test done?

I have had an issue with skin redness/rashes for about 2 years now, but they are becoming more frequent. I started taking pics and recoding what I eat but can’t see an obvious link. I got one on my arm last Thursday and by Friday it hadn’t gone, so did an e-consultation with my Drs and awaiting a response for them. But I wonder if it’s worth doing an allergy test as I think they will just say take antihistamines (which I do a lot for hayfever) and note down what I eat.

But are they accurate? I don’t want to get one, find I have issues with a few different foods and then actively avoid them all to see little/no difference. And for it to put doubt in my head over foods.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15393 on: September 7, 2020, 03:26:55 am »
My brother in law had one a couple of years ago as was getting similar to what you describe. He’d gone down the route of noting down everything he ate, changing washing powder, etc etc.

Turned out he was allergic to the metal his jean buttons were made out of and when the back of it rubbed against his skin it was giving him a reaction (although strangely not where the button rubbed).

On the other end of the scale my gf had one and it came back to her being allergic and intolerant to just about everything in life, so much so I considered buying her a bubble to live in. She’s def not allergic to a lot they said as she can happily eat most of them without any reaction what so ever so in that case it’s a load of shite!

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #15394 on: September 7, 2020, 07:04:01 am »
My friend is allergic to peels. He can eat apples, almonds, zucchinis, eggplants, potatoes and many other nuts, fruits, vegetables normally. But only when they are peeled. Another friend of mine was allergic to the kitchen garden plants but only when cooked. You know, like lemongrass, parsley, mint etc. - the ones you grow in the kitchen. It took them little over 8 months to figure this out. Maybe this is something you could try if you haven't already.

But to answer your question, they are fairly accurate. They find out patterns of allergens and round-up on foods that you need to avoid. My colleague found out that he is seasonally allergic to a particular brand of milk as it turns out the milk comes from cows that eat a particular type of grass and hay, typical of the region where the milk is produced. So for the months of March-May/June, he shifts his brand of milk to something that's produced from cows with a more diverse intake. He hasn't had the problem since. He was able to get this done with the help of an allergy test.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15395 on: September 7, 2020, 11:13:11 pm »
I had an allergy test, many, many years ago.

It was a patch test on my arm, to see what I reacted to.

I think they are just meant as an indicator to show what you are generally intolerant to, and don't go into great detail.

That's for further more intense testing.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15396 on: September 11, 2020, 02:48:25 pm »
How do I send a link that opens in a specific browser?

The one I am sending now automatically opens in Internet Explorer but I want it to open in Edge

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15397 on: September 11, 2020, 02:49:00 pm »
How do I send a link that opens in a specific browser?

The one I am sending now automatically opens in Internet Explorer but I want it to open in Edge

Surely it depends what browser the person receiving it as set to default?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15398 on: September 11, 2020, 03:07:09 pm »
Surely it depends what browser the person receiving it as set to default?

Could be. Its actually someone that's sending a link from the charity committee in work, but on their document the link opens in Internet Explorer and obviously we have to copy it to Edge to get the link to work. I don't know what our default browser is.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15399 on: September 11, 2020, 03:18:54 pm »
Go to Setting/Apps/Default Apps and it will tell you all your default programs including Web Browser, its the bottom choice on mine in Windows 10. I use Firefox normally but haven't set it as my Default Web Browser so if I click on a link in an email its opens in Edge cos thats the default.