Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399250 times)

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #2160 on: January 4, 2019, 08:02:34 am »
No lose is ever a blessing in disguise but with a 10 or 7 point gap the potential for complacency was there, while a smaller gap may focus minds.
I'm not so worried about our motivation or focus.
A 10 point gap might have killed city's motivation though, made them focus on CL, but now I'm a bit worried that they will find their feet again. This game was more important for them than for us.
They're a good team, but their defense in their box will cost them points IMO.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2161 on: January 4, 2019, 08:05:49 am »
The thing that is making me feel a little sick is us probably having to match (or better)  the form of our first 19 games. The best Liverpool start to a league campaign ever.

City have to do even better though. That's the way to look at it.

At this stage every Liverpool fan in the world would of took a 4 point lead with 17 games to go and played the nearest rival twice already.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2162 on: January 4, 2019, 08:13:01 am »
It also means they’ll most likely be ahead of us, I really hope our crowd holds its bottle because it’s important to team performance that it does.

???

Their 6 includes the league cup semis. They haven’t got two extra PL games.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2163 on: January 4, 2019, 08:13:04 am »
The thing that is making me feel a little sick is us probably having to match (or better)  the form of our first 19 games. The best Liverpool start to a league campaign ever.

Of the top 10, we have utd and hammers away. Outside of that, the derby with Chelsea and Spurs at home are our toughest games. There's no reason we can't replicate a similar points tally imo. City aren't winning all their remaining games either. I reckon we can afford to drop 9 points.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2164 on: January 4, 2019, 08:14:30 am »
I'm not so worried about our motivation or focus.
A 10 point gap might have killed city's motivation though, made them focus on CL, but now I'm a bit worried that they will find their feet again. This game was more important for them than for us.
They're a good team, but their defense in their box will cost them points IMO.

City can find as many feet as they want. If we win our games or match their results- there is nothing they can do about it. They can go on and bully teams into submission, winning by 6, 7 or so goals- it doesn’t matter. It is a great feeling to know that we are in the driving seat.

I bet our players are relieved this game is out of the way and we are still in front. Now we can hit our stride again and motor away

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2165 on: January 4, 2019, 08:23:18 am »
Don't worry, there's always you to talk about Spurs so it's never no-one. :)

In a thread discussing the chasing pack....who would have thought it.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #2166 on: January 4, 2019, 08:23:56 am »
Of the top 10, we have utd and hammers away. Outside of that, the derby with Chelsea and Spurs at home are our toughest games. There's no reason we can't replicate a similar points tally imo. City aren't winning all their remaining games either. I reckon we can afford to drop 9 points.

We can afford to drop 9 points? No chance.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2167 on: January 4, 2019, 08:27:50 am »

How many do you see City dropping?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #2168 on: January 4, 2019, 08:31:59 am »

Ah, okay, I get your point.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2169 on: January 4, 2019, 08:34:08 am »

That would mean them dropping 6. 3 draws. That’s still very possible especially when Europe rolls round again.

They can get their mojo back and get on a roll and of course could reel off 10+ wins in a row but there will be a few twists and turns in this yet.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2170 on: January 4, 2019, 09:08:50 am »
We also play our next league matches before them.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #2171 on: January 4, 2019, 09:18:14 am »
If I were to take my emotions out of it, I'd say City now will go on a run of wins up until CL comes back....
And so should we.

Both teams have decent fixtures and so the next hurdle will be the games in and around the CL.

After that we enter into the 10 game mark and the season will really be going into run-in......lots of football is left to play but both teams know what they have to do.

Now its all about putting away the lower quality teams in the league. There will be some tricky encounters of course but nothing either team is not capable of coming through counting nothing else but quality of each squad. We have a cushion of 4 points which is not so much....with each passing game with that buffer in tact there will be less pressure on us and more pressure on them as the games run out.

We have not been in a better position to win the league since 2013/2014. Last night's result hasn't changed that, we just have to reset and go again. Its gonna be a hell of a finish
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #2172 on: January 4, 2019, 09:32:25 am »
I just want us to win it even more now. Fuck all the fans of other teams, I want us to win the league to shove it down their throat.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #2173 on: January 4, 2019, 10:18:37 am »
This time last year or thereabouts, the unbeaten Champions elect played away to one of the chasing pack (albeit chasing from a long way back) and, in a tense & skillful match, were handed their first defeat of the campaign by the odd goal in 7. They then brushed that off and trotted onwards to the title.

I expect nothing less from us this year now the roles are reversed.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2174 on: January 4, 2019, 10:22:19 am »

I think City will lose one more match and they will draw a couple.
That's the high bar, we must aim at. One at time. But we should look to win the next 5 league games, then the one after that is Old Trafford- which we may (just MAY) be able to draw.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2175 on: January 4, 2019, 10:28:11 am »
Winning the games around the CL knockout stages will make or break our title challenge IMO. Would prefer a bit more attacking depth in the squad, we shouldn't only rely on Shaqiri every game to come on and make a difference.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #2176 on: January 4, 2019, 11:04:45 am »
Have a feeling city will drop some silly points in the next couple of games actually. You can’t discount the huge amount of pressure they were under last night. Subconsciously they may feel they can relax after negotiating such a big hurdle.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2177 on: January 4, 2019, 11:15:31 am »
I feel the opposite, city now have players like KDB coming back from injury, their squad will start to show their strength in depth.

We are still the pace setters but can’t afford to drop any points. Need to start a winning run again, nothing less than a long winning streak

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #2178 on: January 4, 2019, 11:17:11 am »
Last nights result has made the title race very interesting at least. I am still confident we can do it. Some of our fans on here might have been shitting their keks, but I think our squad have a lot more staying power then that. I have never seen us look so determined. They'll bounce back.

For me the worst thing about last night is that a 10pt cushion might have done wanders for us giving the Champions League a proper go as well. As it is, I would be worried it might hamper our League chances. Mind you, City still have to deal with that as well, and Pep is under a lot more pressure to win it (From his club at least, if not the fans).

Winning the games around the CL knockout stages will make or break our title challenge IMO. Would prefer a bit more attacking depth in the squad, we shouldn't only rely on Shaqiri every game to come on and make a difference.

I am still expecting Keita will come into consistent form the second half of the season. So that's another attacking option at least. And is Ox still supposed to be out until the end of the season? We do still have Lallana as well, so hopefully he can find his feet again.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2179 on: January 4, 2019, 11:18:29 am »
I feel the opposite, city now have players like KDB coming back from injury, their squad will start to show their strength in depth.

We are still the pace setters but can’t afford to drop any points. Need to start a winning run again, nothing less than a long winning streak

I would disagree otherwise KDB would have played last night. They've had to rush players back early because of the pace we've been setting and its not worked out for them. I would still say he's a long way from being fully fit. They can't afford any more dropped points due to the four points gap that already exists. The pressure is still on them too.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2180 on: January 4, 2019, 11:26:32 am »
I would disagree otherwise KDB would have played last night. They've had to rush players back early because of the pace we've been setting and its not worked out for them. I would still say he's a long way from being fully fit. They can't afford any more dropped points due to the four points gap that already exists. The pressure is still on them too.

For what it's worth, they gave a hell of a lot to that game last night. To the point that at times they appeared 'frantic'. David Silva even made a handful of unforced errors and wasn't quite at the races at times. And we all saw Pep lose his head, yet again, in the last 5 minutes or so and he was lucky to stay on the pitch to some extent.

I think if we can put another good run of 6/7 wins [would see us to end of feb v united or 2nd march v everton] then they might just slip up again [they play chelsea and arsenal during the run to end of feb].
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2181 on: January 4, 2019, 11:31:16 am »
For what it's worth, they gave a hell of a lot to that game last night. To the point that at times they appeared 'frantic'. David Silva even made a handful of unforced errors and wasn't quite at the races at times. And we all saw Pep lose his head, yet again, in the last 5 minutes or so and he was lucky to stay on the pitch to some extent.

I think if we can put another good run of 6/7 wins [would see us to end of feb v united or 2nd march v everton] then they might just slip up again [they play chelsea and arsenal during the run to end of feb].

It's a really interesting battle this. What will decide it? City's desire to win another title on the bounce or Liverpool's desire to get the elusive prize we've all been waiting for? I think its going to be a classic, but I do think if we manage to get a good running going once again, it will finally prove too much for them, especially when you take in their injuries. As you say they are already showing signs of errors can't see that disappearing entirely as they will could well be running on empty by then. Klopp has gone to huge levels of keeping our players as fresh as possible, the same isn't true of Pep, who at times has forced players back too early.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2182 on: January 4, 2019, 11:33:37 am »
The longer man city and even tottenham stay in the cups, the better for us. Man city are obsessed with the champions league. One of the first things Guardiola said after our game was that he hopes his team plays like that in the champions league. If you were to offer man city the league or champions league, they'd take the champions league all day.

When we were challenging them for the title 5 years ago they were out of all the cups by early/mid March. However, when they reached the CL semi final 3 years ago they picked up only 6 points in their last 5 games, dropping 9 points. The closer they get to the final, the more they lose their heads.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2183 on: January 4, 2019, 11:41:37 am »
Its not important at this stage what City or Spurs do. As I said before the mach, the reaction regardless of last night's result is imperative for the 2nd part of the season. They are no guarantees in football, so even with a win last night, that wouldn't have guaranteed that we would have maintained the form we have had all the way through the end of the season.

The mentality of the players and the manager is the key and so far they have been spot on. They have taken one game at a time, and as long as they take that approach and we have some luck our way we can go on another winning run.

We have Brighton next. Thats it. Focus on getting the job done there. Tough place to go to, but we got no reason not to put in a good performance and win. They have Wolves at home Spurs have United at home.

Wolves have been proven to be the side that has cost everyone points except us.

So hopefully they can nick something of City. Regardless, City aren't winning every single game from this point on

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2184 on: January 4, 2019, 11:43:11 am »
When we were challenging them for the title 5 years ago they were out of all the cups by early/mid March. However, when they reached the CL semi final 3 years ago they picked up only 6 points in their last 5 games, dropping 9 points. The closer they get to the final, the more they lose their heads.

It would work out beautifully for us if they got dumped out of the return leg of the Semi's in spectacular fashion. Our League didn't exactly increase with our march to the Final though. And I don't see Klopp or the players simply giving up on the Champions League to concentrate on the League.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2185 on: January 4, 2019, 11:44:18 am »
It would work out beautifully for us if they got dumped out of the return leg of the Semi's in spectacular fashion. Our League didn't exactly increase with our march to the Final though. And I don't see Klopp or the players simply giving up on the Champions League to concentrate on the League.

It didnt because we had only 3 fit midfielders available.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2186 on: January 4, 2019, 11:45:12 am »
Its not important at this stage what City or Spurs do. As I said before the mach, the reaction regardless of last night's result is imperative for the 2nd part of the season. They are no guarantees in football, so even with a win last night, that wouldn't have guaranteed that we would have maintained the form we have had all the way through the end of the season.

The mentality of the players and the manager is the key and so far they have been spot on. They have taken one game at a time, and as long as they take that approach and we have some luck our way we can go on another winning run.

I really don't see our players letting last night go to their heads. Maybe if we had been battered it might have taken a mental toll, but we weren't in the slightest. I am 100% confident we will return to our stride.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2187 on: January 4, 2019, 11:58:03 am »
Just having a little look at the CL quarter finals dates and surrounding fixtures. Obviously City are through as Schalke are pathetic whereas it's much tougher for us but if we make it :

April 9th - 10th CL QF first leg

April 13 Palace - Man City.
April 14 Liverpool - Chelsea. (Chelsea have Europa league on the 11th if they get through so will defo be the Sunday)

April 16/17th CL QF second leg.

April 20th Man City - Tottenham
April 20th Cardiff - Liverpool.

We've def got it a bit kinder there, though that said I'd be absolutely stunned if City didn't get the winner of Porto/Roma in the next round.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2188 on: January 4, 2019, 12:13:06 pm »
Just looking at our fixtures to come in the league, the next five is

Brighton Away
Palace Home
Leicester Home
West Ham Away
Bournemouth Home

Man City on the other hand have the following fixtures

Wolves Home
Huddersfield Away
Newcastle Away
Arsenal Home
Chelsea Home

I genuinely think over the course of these fixtures we could gain further points advantage over City.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #2189 on: January 4, 2019, 12:13:53 pm »
I saw more than enough last night to know we won't fall off a cliff like everyone hopes. We matched them for large periods of the game and when we equalised, we were more than capable of going on and getting a winner - their goal maybe came from us chasing that winner. My biggest fear was that we would face a City side on top form, who would potentially put 3/4 past us and win convincingly - that would have been something to knock our confidence and make people question us, the defence, our mentality etc... but there was none of that. It was just two teams that are head and shoulders above everyone else in the league - and I include Spurs in that. They showed us a lot of respect and had to work so, so hard for the 3 points.

We aren't facing that quality of opposition every week. We will have tough games for sure but we need to bounce back against Brighton - if we do that, then we are in a great position still. It will be a difficult game but if we go into it with the same application and desire as we had yesterday, then we will be absolutely fine - our quality is good, our intensity is good, our attacking threat is starting to hit its peak and we still appear to be relatively fresh. Injuries are always a concern but until they happen then I'm not worrying about them.

I wish we were playing Brighton tonight, to try and put things right and just stop these questions that people are willing to come true - 'will they hit a bad patch now?', 'it will start unravelling', 'they will bottle it etc..' Lets put that right v Brighton. Get VVD, Alisson, TAA, Andy Robbo, Salah, Mane, Firmino on a beach far, far away and get them rested to start the second half of the season.

One game at a time, as we have been doing. Forget about the rest. We can all see that this team has a resillience and a mentality like no other Liverpool side in recent years - they will not fall off a cliff. I am not saying they will romp to a title either, as City are more than capable of winning 15-16 of their last 17 games but we are in a title race and we aren't going anywhere. Both sides will drop more points, we just need to be more consistent. And as I said, we aren't playing City every week. They got their little shot in the arm last night but there is still a gap and every 3 points we collect will worry them.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2019, 12:19:10 pm by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #2190 on: January 4, 2019, 12:16:06 pm »
Have a feeling that City will drop points in their very next game against Wolves

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2191 on: January 4, 2019, 12:39:40 pm »
That 11mm is haunting me a bit but then I remember Mahrez skied their penalty at Anfield. We also had Danny Studge's absolute worldy in the dying minutes to salvage a point against Chelsea, and of course Jordan Pickford's inexplicable heroics to give us 2 more points.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2192 on: January 4, 2019, 12:39:56 pm »
Just make sure our starting XI gets a nice rest here in the FA Cup game.

Next PL game - Jan. 12th .... 19th .... 30th - we can get some rest in here as well. Maybe a warm weather training after the 19th?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2193 on: January 4, 2019, 12:42:29 pm »
Just make sure our starting XI gets a nice rest here in the FA Cup game.

Next PL game - Jan. 12th .... 19th .... 30th - we can get some rest in here as well. Maybe a warm weather training after the 19th?

Would be an FA cup round between the 19th and 30th?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2194 on: January 4, 2019, 12:48:39 pm »

Damn - that quickly? Didn't realize.

We may not be in the next round of course.

Migs

Clyne/camacho --- ? -- ? --- Moreno
Keita---Lallana----Jones
Sturridge - Origi - ?
« Last Edit: January 4, 2019, 12:50:43 pm by newterp »

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #2195 on: January 4, 2019, 01:41:33 pm »

It's a league cup weekend.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2196 on: January 4, 2019, 01:42:16 pm »
It's a league cup weekend.

Warm weather training it is!

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2197 on: January 4, 2019, 02:06:15 pm »
Just having a little look at the CL quarter finals dates and surrounding fixtures. Obviously City are through as Schalke are pathetic whereas it's much tougher for us but if we make it :

April 9th - 10th CL QF first leg

April 13 Palace - Man City.
April 14 Liverpool - Chelsea. (Chelsea have Europa league on the 11th if they get through so will defo be the Sunday)

April 16/17th CL QF second leg.

April 20th Man City - Tottenham
April 20th Cardiff - Liverpool.

We've def got it a bit kinder there, though that said I'd be absolutely stunned if City didn't get the winner of Porto/Roma in the next round.

That looks really good. If we get to the QF's then against Chelsea, it won't be an issue as we both will be equally as fatigued with Europe, and after the 2nd leg we have Cardiff which is the easiest away game in the PL. They've been really bad against the big teams at home. 

City have a tough one against Palace away and then have Spurs after the 2nd leg. We need Dortmund to knock out Spurs so that they are fresh for the City game.

Saying all this we are the ones who are disadvantaged for the 2nd round. United away will follow the Bayern 1st leg so that will be really tough. Fulham away after the 2nd leg which shouldn't be a problem.

They have a League Cup final after their 1st leg against Schalke. The 2nd leg at home will be a stroll against Schalke so they'll be better prepared for United away (who will have a gruelling away game at PSG that week)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2198 on: January 4, 2019, 02:07:49 pm »
Considering how we've approached the first part of the season, I believe we will be the fittest side in this send part of the season injuries permitting

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2199 on: January 4, 2019, 02:10:24 pm »
Considering how we've approached the first part of the season, I believe we will be the fittest side in this send part of the season injuries permitting
We haven't played particularly well in the first half of the season but still top the league, imagine if we fully gear up from now on...
Believer