Author Topic: General West Ham thread  (Read 405424 times)

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
Re: General West Ham thread
« Reply #1680 on: September 14, 2016, 01:39:12 pm »
Be interesting to get Ciara's view of things once she's out on bail.

Ha! I've been on holiday, which we ended up cutting short to make the Watford game... :/

It was absolutely appalling in there on Saturday. Just really strange. It didn't feel like a football match.

The first couple of games there seemed good, atmosphere-wise, it felt like the genuine fans felt proud and wanted to make it their home but not now. Even at 2-0 on Saturday, the atmosphere was weird. Most of the songs and chanting was about standing up, a dig at the stewards and the board. The board got a fair bit of stick too and Brady booed when she appeared on the big screen at one stage before half time.

There is a standing issue amongst the old heads and they have clashed with the stewards/security firm over it. That spilled over to people being thrown out and then fighting amongst themselves.

I do have a touch of the guilts over getting a season ticket. Someone in this thread a couple of pages back had a dig about why anyone would go and watch another team for a season, but it's not about going to watch West Ham. It's about getting to see Premier League football every other week. I'd much rather watch a live game than be sat at home watching Jeff Stelling. It just so happens that it's West Ham's ground where I was able to do this - it's convenient, I could get a ST and I know the area. If it was Leyton Orient in the PL, or another PL Club I would do the same (except for the teams I dislike).

But now, being in the ground on Saturday, I saw so much that is wrong with it and what will inevitably kill any atmosphere there that they hope to create IMO.

The seats infront, a man, woman (wearing a West Ham top - old kit), and two young boys (about 4/5) arrived 16 minutes into the game with Next bags. Whenever there was a bit of noise the two little kids covered their ears and buried their heads into their parents. I counted that they watched 22 minutes of the first half, as they left just before the 40 minute mark to go into the concourse. They came back some minutes into the second half and left before 90 minutes. What's the fucking point? Why take children who have absolutely no interest in the game? A family day out? Cheap tickets? I don't understand it - it shouldn't be allowed. I'm all for parents wanting to start their kids somewhere, but surely they have to have an interest? There is a man directly infront of us with two girls about 9/10/11 range, and the girls are on their feet, singing every song - great! It adds to the atmosphere. But there just seems to be so many uninterested people there. I saw a dad and his little son leave after the 4th goal went in with their half eaten box of popcorn.

Watford scored a 5th, which was disallowed, but as soon as the ball hit the net about 30 people around us got up and left and got into the aisles before realising it was disallowed. It was a bizarre moment - some just stood for a second, some tried to make their way back to their seats but they were greeted with abuse from a young guy (maybe in his 20s), slating them for leaving early, 'Thanks for your support!' 'Yeah, fuck off - we don't need support like you!' etc... I totally get where he was coming from and don't blame him in a way but I just wonder if there are hardcore elements who will start to turn on those types of fans. I don't in any way mean violence, but just venting their frustrations.

I kind of justified getting a ST to myself based on how much I love football. And in a way, if I ever have a child who likes football, I'd like them to grow up supporting their local side and go to games. I'm not a WHU fan, my Husband is from the area and has been a ST holder in the 90s/00s for many years, so naturally I'd like to see them do well for him and for my own ease of life, but I don't contribute to the atmosphere or get involved in any singing. I clap when they score and when there are substitutions and when they come out at the start of the game but that's about it. They need people in that stadium who want to be there because they love WHU. They have undoubtedly done a brilliant job of filling the stadium, but perhaps just not with the right people.

I don't think it helps that performances and results have been shite to date. They look so far off the pace.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1681 on: September 14, 2016, 01:42:21 pm »
David Sullivan is investigating the premise that they overpaid for Masuaku by £1m as they think somebody has been paid a hefty amount when they shouldn't have. In other words, they panicked because no other left back wanted to go there so they paid £6.2m for Masuaku and they now realise he's completely wank and want somebody external to the club to pin it on :lmao

I think he has been probably the only bright spark so far this season, for them. I haven't seen anything of him before West Ham, but he has had a good start.

EDIT: And Antonio of course.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:58:20 pm by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #1682 on: September 14, 2016, 01:51:29 pm »
Why did Karen Brady appear on the big screen anyway? What the fuck is that about?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1683 on: September 14, 2016, 01:53:57 pm »
Cheers, interesting stuff and clearly there seems to be a conflict between the hardcore match goers from Upton Park who probably stood every week and the 'newcomers ' be they families, daytrippers or however else you'd describe them.

With hindsight it seems obvious that would be the case.  To suddenly add 20K to your attendance is obviously going to change the dynamics quite considerably.  I'm sure there are plenty of new ticket holders who went to Upton Park a fair bit and join in with the songs and add to the standard matchday atmosphere but sounds like plenty there are diluting things a bit.

I hope the family with young kids just went to one game to try it out and didn't fork out for four Season Tickets!

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1684 on: September 14, 2016, 01:54:55 pm »
Why did Karen Brady appear on the big screen anyway? What the fuck is that about?

Kiss Cam. Don't tell Pesch.

Probably just showing the TV feed on a big screen? They always love some Directors Box action.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1685 on: September 14, 2016, 01:55:18 pm »

She was in the director's box, it was a live feed on the screen and when there was a break in play they cut to her and she was booed and hissed at.

EDIT: Hissed is completely the wrong word. Sorry. Just been in the cat thread.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1686 on: September 14, 2016, 01:58:02 pm »
I hope the family with young kids just went to one game to try it out and didn't fork out for four Season Tickets!

Saw them v Juventus pre-season so it's unlikely :/

They should have allocated a stand for families and tried to keep the hardcore, Upton Park support together in other stands.

I did see a group of 4 teenage boys together a few rows infront and that kind of thing is great to see. Being able to go to the match and sit with your mates on a Saturday are things they should be looking at doing more of.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1687 on: September 14, 2016, 01:58:57 pm »
She was in the director's box, it was a live feed on the screen and when there was a break in play they cut to her and she was booed and hissed at
i like these guys

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1688 on: September 14, 2016, 02:02:40 pm »
She was in the director's box, it was a live feed on the screen and when there was a break in play they cut to her and she was booed and hissed at.

EDIT: Hissed is completely the wrong word. Sorry. Just been in the cat thread.

Are you sure you weren't at the Panto?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1689 on: September 14, 2016, 02:07:32 pm »
i like these guys

People are quick to stick the knife in with WHU fans, by way of guilty by association to Brady, Sullivan and Gold, but many absolutely despise them and want them gone asap.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1690 on: September 14, 2016, 02:14:14 pm »
People are quick to stick the knife in with WHU fans, by way of guilty by association to Brady, Sullivan and Gold, but many absolutely despise them and want them gone asap.
in all fairness to their fans I can't ever remember seeing them overly praise those three - only positive there really is the other option was tony fernandes

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1691 on: September 14, 2016, 02:26:48 pm »
I relate this to what it was like when we played Barcelona, at Wembley. Crying children everywhere, popcorn being eaten, people with shopping bags, people showing up 20 minutes late and leaving 20 minutes early, Mexican waves, people asking who certain players are etc.

I could live with that in a friendly. It gave people the chance to see us who wouldn't ordinarily be able to. It gave people their first taste of live football and seeing us play in the flesh. Brilliant. But having that every other week? God no.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1692 on: September 17, 2016, 03:44:36 pm »
*snigger*

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #1693 on: September 17, 2016, 03:56:03 pm »
@GaryLineker
West Brom are 3 up. The Hammers have conceded 7 without reply in their last 90 minutes since being 2 up against Watford.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #1694 on: September 17, 2016, 04:03:38 pm »
I hope hissing becomes a thing.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1695 on: September 17, 2016, 04:07:00 pm »
@GaryLineker
West Brom are 3 up. The Hammers have conceded 7 without reply in their last 90 minutes since being 2 up against Watford.

And yet they only signed two players they are expecting to play in defence this season (Arbeloa and Masuaku). Two clean sheets in their last fifteen PL games going back to last season. If the West Brom scoreline stays the same, they will have conceded 32 goals in their last fifteen games.  Over the course of a 38 game season that average would work out to 81 goals against.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:10:20 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1696 on: September 17, 2016, 04:13:44 pm »
That awkward moment when you're 4-0 down to a team playing for a 0-0 draw!!

Offline KingOfStrongStyle

• Anny Roader
  • Dub Nation!
« Reply #1697 on: September 18, 2016, 09:30:17 am »
Bilic is the new Roberto Martinez, did well last season because of a defensive base that was left by the previous manager

Now that Bilic has been manager for over a year, your seeing what his defensive setup looks like.

It's downright ugly being honest and reminds of Roberto at Everton.

Conceding four at West Brom and against Watford back to back is alarming, they were lucky that City were wasteful when they played them otherwise that game could of ended 6-1.

They haven't played the likes of Leicester, ourselves, Arsenal, Everton, Spurs and Man United. If the defensive issues of West Ham priest and they probably will, those teams I mentioned above will do far worse things than what Watford and West Brom did to them.

Relegation is a big possibility and that would be delightful, moving into the Olympic stadium to play championship football
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 09:52:46 am by KingOfStrongStyle »

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1698 on: September 18, 2016, 09:54:41 am »
he will be for the high jump if they don't get their act together sharpish. That's one team that cannot be going down

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #1699 on: September 18, 2016, 05:55:29 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/17/football-fans-stadium-gentrification

I was one of the many who were convinced they would struggle after the move
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1700 on: September 20, 2016, 09:38:12 am »
What is frustrating is that there was a time last season when West Ham had an attacking injury crises which meant they were not going to score goals. So what did Bilic did? He shut up shop, drilled the defence and got quite a few results based on conceding 0 or only one. Yet as soon as the numbers returned, he went back to the unbalanced system, lots of goals, lots of heroic comebacks but at some point, conceding like a sieve and constantly falling behind was going to hit.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1701 on: September 20, 2016, 11:45:05 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/17/football-fans-stadium-gentrification

I was one of the many who were convinced they would struggle after the move
karren Brady in fucking things up shocker, the comment about trying to turn their matchgoing fanbase to Arsenal is both revealing and disturbing

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1702 on: September 21, 2016, 08:18:23 pm »

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #1703 on: September 22, 2016, 06:58:43 pm »
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1704 on: September 25, 2016, 05:26:24 pm »
It's going well...

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #1705 on: September 25, 2016, 05:33:29 pm »
West Ham Paul must be puzzled by the amount of hostility in this place. ;D
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1706 on: September 25, 2016, 05:48:52 pm »
So embarrassing for London that our stadium will be hosting championship football next season.
I can see Arsenal going for Bilic. Came across so brilliant as a pundit in the Euros, reminded me of Gaz Nev.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #1707 on: September 25, 2016, 05:51:00 pm »
West Ham Paul must be puzzled by the amount of hostility in this place. ;D

It seems he has been put off coming on these days. Sad really, he seems a good lad does Paul.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1708 on: September 25, 2016, 05:55:08 pm »
They've conceded 14 in their last 4 games.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1709 on: September 25, 2016, 05:57:05 pm »
Any signs of their fans twatting each other again?

Caught the first half and can't stand the camera angle. So low it makes the pitch look so narrow - or is it just narrow?

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #1710 on: September 25, 2016, 05:58:03 pm »

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1711 on: September 25, 2016, 06:00:25 pm »
We are their last home game of the season! Celebrating the title and relegating them sounds like some day/night!!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1712 on: September 25, 2016, 06:01:29 pm »
They've conceded 14 in their last 4 games.

Said this a few weeks ago

Seem to be suffering a similar problem that Stoke have so far: upgraded the attack (or at least added more bodies), did fuck all with the defence in the summer. At least in Stoke's case, part of that problem is down to the fact they didn't sign another back-up keeper with Butland still out and they let Wollscheid go back to Germany. In West Ham's case they made thirteen signings this summer and only two of them are defenders: a 33 year old Arbeloa and the French left-back Arthur Masuaku. They also signed Nordveit, but he's likely to play in midfield.

Joey O'Brien and James Tomkins, two central defenders were the only two senior players they let go in the summer. Now granted O'Brien didn't feature in 15/16, but neither were replaced, even though West Ham had the worst defensive record of any team in the Top 8 and conceded more goals than Palace, Watford and West Brom. Only Aston Villa conceded 2 or more goals last season on more occasions than West Ham did (they were tied joint second with Stoke and Watford). They only recorded one clean sheet in their final ten games last season. Even Villa could match that amount and unlike West Ham they were relegation bound.  They have already conceded 2+ three times in the league. Even in pre-season, they conceded 2+ in all but one of their six friendlies.

Antonio has been their best attacking threat this season, but he's quite poor tracking back. Byram, who wasn't having a good game anyway against Watford, was repeatedly short of support from him. Yes, it probably doesn't help that they have a number of forwards injured (Carroll, Sakho, Ayew), but given their ambitions this season, I'm really surprised they didn't go for more solidity in the summer. That said it may take a while for all their signings to gel, although with no European competition, it will be rather difficult to give everyone an opportunity.

In their final ten PL games last season, they conceded twenty goals. They've conceded 16 in six games so far. That's 36 goals conceded in their last sixteen PL games. And yet they did fuck all to upgrade their defence in the summer.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1713 on: September 25, 2016, 06:01:52 pm »
In the relegation places by March....

That's my prediction...

(Nothing personal Paul!)

Right, this was my prediction last season... it was disastrous in every way.....

But maybe just a year early?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:05:51 pm by Kinky Kenneth »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1714 on: September 25, 2016, 06:01:58 pm »

It seems he has been put off coming on these days. Sad really, he seems a good lad does Paul.
i imagine much of it is down to their low cost stadium move, a move which appears to be backfiring more and more as each game passes.

For me, the ground isn't designed for English football, the fans are so far away from the pitch, the away team don't feel at all intimidated.

I think they've made a major mistake and if things continue in this vain they'll be playing to a half empty stadium in a couple of months
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1715 on: September 25, 2016, 06:09:58 pm »
Spurs dodged a bullet missing out on that stadium. Lifeless, soulless and just not a good atmosphere if you're a Hammer. Like Spurs at Wembley, it just isn't intimidating for the opposition and I imagine away teams actually enjoy going there and sampling the stadium. I imagine the changing rooms and facilities are much more accommodating than your average PL ground. I can see them having a terrible 'home' record this season.

Is it 99 years they have it for? I assume they can't just leave either?
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1716 on: September 25, 2016, 06:14:56 pm »
Spurs dodged a bullet missing out on that stadium. Lifeless, soulless and just not a good atmosphere if you're a Hammer. Like Spurs at Wembley, it just isn't intimidating for the opposition and I imagine away teams actually enjoy going there and sampling the stadium. I imagine the changing rooms and facilities are much more accommodating than your average PL ground. I can see them having a terrible 'home' record this season.

Is it 99 years they have it for? I assume they can't just leave either?
spurs were going to knock it down and build a football stadium and a separate athletics stadium unlike west ham

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1717 on: September 25, 2016, 06:20:01 pm »
OptaJoe
‏@OptaJoe
5 - West Ham have lost five of their opening six top-flight games in a season for the first time in their history. Burst.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1718 on: September 25, 2016, 06:28:44 pm »
i imagine much of it is down to their low cost stadium move, a move which appears to be backfiring more and more as each game passes.

For me, the ground isn't designed for English football, the fans are so far away from the pitch, the away team don't feel at all intimidated.

I think they've made a major mistake and if things continue in this vain they'll be playing to a half empty stadium in a couple of months

In a couple of months? Looked half empty today.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #1719 on: September 25, 2016, 06:33:51 pm »
What's happening here, a two for one deal? Imploding the old stadium and the team too?