Author Topic: What Podcasts do you listen to?  (Read 152235 times)

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
Re: What Podcasts do you listen to?
« Reply #880 on: January 6, 2021, 01:35:23 pm »
I have recently binned my contract and am now on GiffGaff PAYG so I need Podcasts that you can download as otherwise I use my data up in no time.
  Any recommendations for downloadable ones would be much appreciated as would an indication by posters  to indicate if a recommended podcast is downloadable.

I use the PodcastAddict app and pretty much everything on there is downloadable (I do the same out of habit, and to avoid data blackspots interrupting).
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #881 on: January 6, 2021, 02:22:36 pm »
I use the Beyondpod app and you can pre download any podcast on it (apart from Spotify exclusives - I refuse to listen to those on principle).

I use podcruncher. I think it cost a pound. You can download all you want after you set them up to auto download and there is a setting to turn off using data, so it will only download in wifi. I think it is great and I keep hours of podcasts on my phone at all times. I have not known a podcast not be downloadable.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #882 on: January 6, 2021, 02:33:34 pm »
I use podcruncher. I think it cost a pound. You can download all you want after you set them up to auto download and there is a setting to turn off using data, so it will only download in wifi. I think it is great and I keep hours of podcasts on my phone at all times. I have not known a podcast not be downloadable.

Yeah you can do all that on BeyondPod as well. To be honest, I was aware you could stream them without downloading, but not something I have ever done. Mine auto updates every morning and I always have days worth of content on my phone at any time.

BeyondPod is free but some of the features (auto update I think) require the paid version but not expensive.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #883 on: January 6, 2021, 03:19:41 pm »
Anyone listened to any of the James English stuff?

Came across one or two of his interviews with various well known ex-gangsters (I know he's had Stephen French and Darren Gee on, among others). Looks like plenty more people from various other backgrounds as well.

First couple I listened to were interesting anyway.

Can't speak for any of the others but the Stephen French one is absolutely dreadful.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #884 on: January 6, 2021, 04:17:32 pm »
Hunting Ghislaine Maxwell from John Sweeney is really good, there's 4 up so far.

cheers, was looking for something to listen to podcast wise to break up Doug Stanhope (some are great, some are a bit iffy - depends how pissed he is).

Apparently Notes from the Pen is good - Stanhope has been championing this podcast during lockdown so i'll have a crack at it after the Maxwell one

https://www.notesfromthepen.com/podcast

https://open.spotify.com/show/1Ba57q6KVqfl118d3I0Ekl
« Last Edit: January 6, 2021, 04:19:13 pm by Ziltoid »

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #885 on: January 12, 2021, 09:44:39 am »
Graham Hunter had Pep Lijnders on recently.

Really felt like he dropped the ball. He's usually very good (I don't listen to them all, only the people that interest me).

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #886 on: January 12, 2021, 04:35:59 pm »

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #887 on: January 15, 2021, 02:32:29 am »
For a techie point of view on the internet issues related to the riots in the capital building last week, Reply All #171 makes interesting listening.

Latest episode of Modern Mann podcast has a great interview with an English guy in Nice who ran a backpacker hostel which became a homeless shelter during lockdown. Spool about 1/3 of the way into the podcast to get past the annoying shite and into the main interview.

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #888 on: January 22, 2021, 01:34:57 pm »
I've just found a podcast called 'Power Corrupts'.  Really interesting use of story telling to highlight the issues that shape power in the world.. from the blurb:

'Power Corrupts is the podcast about the hidden, and often nefarious forces that shape our world. Every week, we tackle one big theme — election rigging, smuggling, conspiracy theories, assassinations, or the politics of magic & witchcraft, to name a few. Each episode combines weird and wild stories with hard-hitting analysis to help you better understand the world.

The podcast is the creation of Dr. Brian Klaas, who also narrates the series. Brian is an assistant professor of global politics at University College London and a weekly columnist for the Washington Post.'

I listened to one recently on Mercenaries that was really good.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #889 on: January 22, 2021, 01:53:52 pm »
Rattling through Grounded with Louis Theroux which has been decent - up to Ep12 with Sia.

Caught up with Carraghers

Anyone else find they can't listen to some podcasts because of the narrator or host(s).  I started listening to Scientology: Fair Game but the woman had such an annoying voice, especially when she started to get angry/emotional.  Just looked up - it was Leah Remini, whereas her co-host (Mike Rinder) is very easy to listen to but he can't get a word in edgeways most of the time.  Maybe she'll tone it down a bit as the series progresses.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #890 on: January 24, 2021, 11:55:25 am »
I have recently binned my contract and am now on GiffGaff PAYG so I need Podcasts that you can download as otherwise I use my data up in no time.
  Any recommendations for downloadable ones would be much appreciated as would an indication by posters  to indicate if a recommended podcast is downloadable.
CPod has been good for me. Very simple to use and offers a download link for each pod, if it's available.

https://ostechnix.com/cpod-a-simple-beautiful-and-cross-platform-podcast-app/

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #891 on: January 24, 2021, 11:59:44 am »
Into The Zone is quite good. Only 6 or so episodes about various subjects but all with a listen.

https://www.pushkin.fm/show/into-the-zone/

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #892 on: January 24, 2021, 03:32:04 pm »
Apologies, I have not read through the whole thread, but 2 that I enjoy are the Guardian's Audio Long Read, available on several platforms, or In Our Time from Radio 4, which is more of a programme, but every episode is available as a podcast and it covers so many topics.

https://open.spotify.com/show/0jG1HXr3tGoGorW1ieytRS (Audio Long Read)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl/episodes/player (In Our Time)
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #893 on: January 26, 2021, 06:20:15 pm »
Listened to Robbie Fowler's new pod. It's good, but his co-host is fucking awful. Nice chap, but the banter between him and Robbie makes me want to hurl. Decent Klopp interview though
Nah.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #894 on: January 30, 2021, 02:59:16 am »

Anyone else find they can't listen to some podcasts because of the narrator or host(s).  I started listening to Scientology: Fair Game but the woman had such an annoying voice
CNET tech news. Interesting topics and good journalism, however the lady has a voice that is tone less which makes it so easy to tune it out.

Really enjoying the Jacob Hawley BBC series on drugs. Really good coverage IMO.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #895 on: February 8, 2021, 11:02:37 pm »
Listened to Robbie Fowler's new pod. It's good, but his co-host is fucking awful. Nice chap, but the banter between him and Robbie makes me want to hurl. Decent Klopp interview though
He had Kenny on this week. It's on my long list of many other things to listen to though.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #896 on: February 9, 2021, 07:56:39 pm »
Just found

I Spy

Interviews with former intelligence people. I have only listened to one so far about undercover in NI. It's mind bending. Currently have way into second of a US DEA undercover in Columbia.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #897 on: February 11, 2021, 07:48:35 am »
Bit of a latecomer to Socially Distanced Sports Bar. Fantastic stuff, with a great balance between insightful sports chat and comedy. I was a couple of years ahead of Bubbins at university, and it takes me back to a brilliant time. Cardiff in the early 90's was amazing.

Offline Mactavish

• Anny Roader
« Reply #898 on: February 11, 2021, 08:51:04 pm »

Ohhh mate. The co-host is absolutely shocking, isn't he?

Offline Mactavish

• Anny Roader
« Reply #899 on: February 12, 2021, 12:21:35 pm »
Huge shout for Straight From the Off podcast

Podcast based around the amateur football scene in the fantastic city of Liverpool. Each episode will bring a player or manager from the past or present to share their stories of glory and despair, with us on Straight From The Off.

Got their first star on this week's episode in Jamie Carrgaher and its Carradale as we love him, not the Sky Sports Carra. Talking about his times coming through with lots of the stories that you'd never usually hear.

Excellent stuff

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #900 on: February 17, 2021, 05:07:40 pm »
Not sure if I've mentioned this 8 part 30 mins each Pod about the murder of Melanie Road. It's superb with the very last episode being particularly emotional.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-12/catching-melanies-killer-our-true-crime-podcast-about-the-32-year-old-mystery-of-schoolgirl-melanie-roads-murder

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #901 on: February 17, 2021, 06:07:15 pm »
A new podcast called The Rest is History by authors Dominic Sandbrook and Tom Holland is great. The second episode about civil wars was fascinating especially the segment about how far along the road to a second civil war America is (a long way)
Another shout out for this...

Great lockdown companion
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #902 on: February 17, 2021, 10:27:40 pm »
Another shout out for this...

Great lockdown companion
Yeah I've loved them. Twice weekly at the moment also.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: February 17, 2021, 11:05:06 pm »
Yeah I've loved them. Twice weekly at the moment also.
Tom Holland  is without doubt my favourite non fiction  author.  I could hear him talk for hours and hours on history
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #904 on: February 18, 2021, 11:53:33 am »
What speed do you all listen to them?  I'm at 1.5x as standard, unless they're from the Southern States in America, when it's more like 2x.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #905 on: February 18, 2021, 11:57:09 am »
What speed do you all listen to them?  I'm at 1.5x as standard, unless they're from the Southern States in America, when it's more like 2x.
I’ve never been able to get my head round listening at increased speed.  Then again, Neil Atkinson in TAW is very much like that anyway ;D
W

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #906 on: February 18, 2021, 12:08:53 pm »
I’ve never been able to get my head round listening at increased speed.  Then again, Neil Atkinson in TAW is very much like that anyway ;D

+1 on this. I just tried it and it's bananas

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #907 on: February 18, 2021, 12:51:59 pm »
I've got a couple I'll listen to at near-normal speed (Carra's one is impossible otherwise!) but I've adjusted pretty well to it now.  I listened to one of my regulars at normal speed and it felt more excruciating than hearing it at 150%.  The podcast app I use (Podcast Addict) has the ability to increase the speed in 10% increments, so it's finding your level I guess.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #908 on: February 18, 2021, 12:52:04 pm »
I had a first listen to The Skewer a couple of nights ago, after Steve Lamacq interviewed Jon Holmes on his show earlier this week.  Not strictly a podcast, but able to be treated as one - found it interesting & enjoyable.

Available on BBC Sounds and on the BBC website here, and described as follows.

A twisted comedy treat. Jon Holmes brings you the week's biggest stories like you've never heard them before. The news remixed. Welcome to The Skewer. Headphones on.

The multi-award winning, 'dizzying, dazzling, haunting and moving' satirical comedy returns to twist itself into these turbulent times.

With contributions from brand new and diverse audio talent, The Skewer is the sound the abyss makes as it stares back at you through your ears.

'A kind of concept album made of music and news. There's simply nothing else like it.'

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #909 on: February 18, 2021, 01:08:36 pm »
I've got a couple I'll listen to at near-normal speed (Carra's one is impossible otherwise!) but I've adjusted pretty well to it now.  I listened to one of my regulars at normal speed and it felt more excruciating than hearing it at 150%.  The podcast app I use (Podcast Addict) has the ability to increase the speed in 10% increments, so it's finding your level I guess.

Fair play mate. Any proper scouser would be indecipherable at 1.5  :)

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: February 18, 2021, 01:16:09 pm »
Fair play mate. Any proper scouser would be indecipherable at 1.5  :)
0.5 and you're still struggling ;)
My Twitter

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #911 on: February 18, 2021, 05:17:04 pm »
1.3x.

I wouldn't get through them otherwise.

The TAW people sound hammered at normal speed on HotMic.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #912 on: February 19, 2021, 11:26:35 am »
0.5 and you're still struggling ;)

For a laugh I tried 1.5 with the Friday show today, thought Atko sounded mad. Then when Joel started talking  :lmao

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: February 19, 2021, 01:31:16 pm »
It was recorded a few weeks ago but the Gazza podcast with James English is excellent. There's loads of stories you've heard before but it was really interesting.

Good to hear him appearing quite lucid and talking fluently.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #914 on: February 19, 2021, 01:58:09 pm »

Haha. I’m not the only one then. First time I listened to TAW I had to check the speed settings. Been away from England for so long I had missed the high speed chatter.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #915 on: February 24, 2021, 04:14:47 am »
Just listened to the Meghan and Harry podcast released exclusively on Spotify (which I assume means they got a sweet fee for).

And that sweet fee is 18MGBP. Oh my gosh that is a shit pile of money to produce a series of podcasts that are not great. Fee as reported in the Telegraph.

It was a crap podcast they did. Basically about 1million pounds per podcasts. How often will they be able to score deals like this.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #916 on: March 29, 2021, 08:57:41 am »
Has Brett Goldsteins 'Films To Be Buried With'  been mentioned on here?

Really, really enjoying it. I must admit though, not really a fan of Brett at all, but he has his moments.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #917 on: March 29, 2021, 11:20:34 pm »
It was recorded a few weeks ago but the Gazza podcast with James English is excellent. There's loads of stories you've heard before but it was really interesting.

Good to hear him appearing quite lucid and talking fluently.

Watched a few James English interviews on YouTube. Always very good, but Gazza is one of the best as is the one with Lisa Maffia from So Solid Crew, loads with boxers too.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #918 on: March 29, 2021, 11:26:14 pm »
Watched a few James English interviews on YouTube. Always very good, but Gazza is one of the best as is the one with Lisa Maffia from So Solid Crew, loads with boxers too.
Yeah, I've subscribed now, went back to 2018 and listened to the Dave Courtney one and a couple of others. The Charles Bronson son one is highly recommended :)

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #919 on: March 30, 2021, 07:21:42 pm »
Alex Honnold is on Joe Rogan's podcast today.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."