Author Topic: Espresso Machines  (Read 76881 times)

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
Re: Espresso Machines
« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2012, 11:11:06 am »
I've been told to put about a teaspoon of fairy liquid in it and filling it up with hot water up to the first fill line and either let it soak overnight or run it like you're frothing the milk or both. 

Thanks! I'll try that.

Offline neilers

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2012, 10:26:46 pm »
oh my god do not even dream of using sainsbury's ground espresso.  Its only 85% arabica and 15% robusta.  My classic which has never let me down could not produce even a hint of crema from it.

Learnt my lesson and ordered a burr grinder and sticking to illy dark roast beans from now on.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2012, 10:29:41 pm »
My birds birthday coming up. Was considering getting her one of these for it. Any recommendations? Nothing to pricey though. I don't drink the shit so haven't a clue what I'd be looking for
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline neilers

• Main Stander
« Reply #203 on: March 30, 2012, 10:33:52 pm »
whats your budget?  If you can stretch to £120 you can pick up a delonghi icona which is fairly decent.  If you can push to £200 amazon should have the gaggia classic for that sort of price. The classic is unbelievable at producing some excellent coffee,

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2012, 10:54:50 pm »
Delonghi are good. I got one a few years back for 50 quid that does the job. Only really use it on my days off as i don't get up early enough for it to heat up. If you can get one with a timer it'd solve that problem.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2012, 11:38:46 pm »
I was hoping around the 50 mark  :D

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2012, 11:44:06 pm »
This an updated version of the one i have http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4232049/c_1/1|category_root|Kitchen+and+laundry|14418476/c_2/2|14418476|Coffee+machines|16527134/c_3/3|cat_16527134|Espresso+coffee+machines|16528262.htm

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2012, 11:57:25 pm »
The link isn't working on my phone but will have a look tomorrow on the computer. Thanks

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2012, 12:37:51 pm »
IMO, you might as well take £50 out of your wallet and burn it in front of your girlfriend's face, as it'll be about as useful as a £50 espresso machine.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: March 31, 2012, 01:03:50 pm »
IMO, you might as well take £50 out of your wallet and burn it in front of your girlfriend's face, as it'll be about as useful as a £50 espresso machine.

;D How much does a decent cheap one cost then? She isnt a connoisseur by any means. Doesnt even have to be an espresso machine. Just some sort of fancy coffee maker

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: March 31, 2012, 01:12:13 pm »

Boils water, steams milk (great for scrambling eggs also), filters coffee. What else do you want?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: March 31, 2012, 02:05:04 pm »
Something that lasts more than a few weeks? Components that aren't made of plastic?

If your budget is seriously £50, get a good stovetop espresso pot, not a machine.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: March 31, 2012, 02:40:45 pm »
Something that lasts more than a few weeks? Components that aren't made of plastic?

If your budget is seriously £50, get a good stovetop espresso pot, not a machine.

My budget isnt £50. I have no idea how much they cost. I was just hoping to be able to get one for that price. £120 is too much for a cup of coffee though

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2012, 06:21:03 pm »
My budget isnt £50. I have no idea how much they cost. I was just hoping to be able to get one for that price. £120 is too much for a cup of coffee though

You won't get a decent machine for less than that, I'm afraid. Cheaper ones are made with plastic components which can't handle the operating temperatures required to make decent coffee, and as a result they struggle to last 12 months.

The cheapest machine I'd recommend is a Cubika at about £120, but if you were going to spend that, the Classic is so much better that you might as well splash £200 on its superior boiler and brass parts.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: March 31, 2012, 07:26:31 pm »
The cheapest machine I'd recommend is a Cubika at about £120, but if you were going to spend that, the Classic is so much better that you might as well splash £200 on its superior boiler and brass parts.

You could get return flights to Italy for that price.  :o

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: March 31, 2012, 08:48:42 pm »
I got a reconditioned gaggia evolution for my dad direct from the manufacturer for £99.....
@johnbuckels

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #216 on: March 31, 2012, 09:25:37 pm »

Depends what kind of coffee you want to drink, if it's just black or white straight up you can get great results from a cafetiere, filter drip cup or moka pot (stove top).  If you want a straight up espresso you might be able to make do with a cheaper machine but the biggest expense and problem is going to be the grind.  Unless you buy your beans professionally ground (which is a terrible idea with regards to flavour) you'll struggle to find a grinder able to produce a fine enough grind at an affordable price to allow you make consistently excellent shots.  Latte style drinks are even trickier as you need a good quality shot as well as consistently steamed milk.  I've never personally found a home machine with a steam wand that I'm happy with, although I've by no means tried them all.

If you want a nice occasional "frothy coffee" I'd probably say have a look at a Nespresso type machine, as it'll get you the closest to the milk blended drinks you get from coffee shops for the price you'll pay.

If you want to make a substantial improvement to your/you gf's everyday cup of coffee, buy the best conical burr grinder you can afford, and a well made cafetiere, stove top pot or filter cone, then get hold of some well roasted whole bean coffee (I recommend anything from www.hasbean.co.uk, used by Bold St Coffee in town, the shop I work in and also heavily favoured by entrants in the UK barista championship).

Sorry about the wall of text, hope some of that is of any use to you.

Edit - Forgot to mention that, although it may not look as nice in the kitchen, an aeropress is easily the cheapest way to get a decent espresso shot at home, might be worth checking it out.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:33:44 pm by Ben J »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #217 on: September 5, 2012, 01:26:51 pm »
Thanks! I'll try that.
i use Milton to clean my thermal mug every night. I fill it up to the brim with water, add a drop. hey presto, sparkling clean.

On the subject of coffee machines, I'm interested in buying one too. I'd like to get involved in making the coffee, not just pressing a button. We have a Nespresso machine at work, and its all well and good. I'd take no satisfaction from doing that.

I'm just back from a trip to Italy. I bought 1kg of coffee there Omkafe, so i want to put it to good use.
I've been getting more engrossed with coffee over the past 6months or so, there is a top Barrista beside my work place, 3fe is their name. They have some top awards to their credit. All in all, I'm struggling to go back to regular coffee these days. I guess I'd love to make my own and experiment a little.
My friend is a barrista by trade, so ill get some tips and a proper how to guide. I may do one of the 3fe coffee courses, just to fuse my brain with as much knowledge as i can take. Then i'll experiment! ;D

Anyways, onto the subject of the coffee machines. From reading this thread, The Gaggia RI8161/40 does seem like the machine to beat. So I took a wee look about, and The House of Fraiser's sale on this item ended yesterday. That's flippin typical, isn't it!
They are wildy expensive in Treasure Ireland. Mostly about €360. So maybe a trip to Enniskillen is in order. I'll snoop about Dublin first however.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #218 on: September 5, 2012, 02:12:54 pm »
btw, my fav coffee house in Dublin is 3fe.

They are beside Grand Canal Dock & also in Twisted Pepper on Abbey Street (until 6pm).

2012 (i added this myself)
3rd World Barista Championships

Irish Barista Champion
4th World Barista Championships

Irish Barista Champion
4th World Barista Championships

They have also the Slovakian Barrista champion & the Irish Barrista champion. probably some more too. Their website could do with an updating! ;D

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2012, 01:29:10 pm »
Right,

Finally going to buy a machine in next few months. Although i'd like a Gaggia Classic don't really have 200 quid to spend and can probably stretch to little over 100 quid (maybe 125 max).

Anyone got any thoughts?

Anyone think getting a used Gaggia Classic via ebay would work (obviously as long as the machine isn't shit)?
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2012, 05:07:19 pm »
Right,

Finally going to buy a machine in next few months. Although i'd like a Gaggia Classic don't really have 200 quid to spend and can probably stretch to little over 100 quid (maybe 125 max).

Anyone got any thoughts?

Anyone think getting a used Gaggia Classic via ebay would work (obviously as long as the machine isn't shit)?

Yep. If you look after it well, descale it when it arrives, clean it etc, I reckon that would be a decent option.

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2012, 05:36:54 pm »
Yep. If you look after it well, descale it when it arrives, clean it etc, I reckon that would be a decent option.

There's a few on the go now. Also some manufacturer refurbished Cubika's and others as well.

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2012, 05:57:56 pm »
Jon, I've got a Dualit Espressivo, it's decent, my only issue is the non-standard portafilter & portafilter baskets (the bit you put the coffee in).

Other than that it makes some ace coffee. Probably a bit cheaper that the Gaggia classic too. Might be an option if you want a new one.
@ManifoldReasons

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2012, 06:02:46 pm »
There's a few a notch down from the Classis that look decent for 60-100.

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2012, 06:46:05 pm »
I got a refurb gaggia evolution for my dad off the gaggia UK site, came with a 1 year warranty for £99, hasn't missed a beat in 8 years
@johnbuckels

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #226 on: September 29, 2012, 07:43:14 pm »
i was down at my local cafe yesterday and was recommended : Rancilio silvia and Rancilio Rocky.

i havent had the chance to check yet, but i reckon they are rather dear. one thing they mentioned to me aboit most expresso machines is that they dont foam it corectly. so u can get larger bubbles from the milk..

i may have understood that incorrectly.

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #227 on: September 29, 2012, 08:15:11 pm »
i was down at my local cafe yesterday and was recommended : Rancilio silvia and Rancilio Rocky.

i havent had the chance to check yet, but i reckon they are rather dear. one thing they mentioned to me aboit most expresso machines is that they dont foam it corectly. so u can get larger bubbles from the milk..

Yeah you're looking at at least £600 for a Rancillio machine and grinder, deffo at the higher end of the home setup.  A Gagia Classic makes the best espresso for the money but as you were advised, the boiler is pretty small so it won't really produce enough steam to make a decent latte/capuccino.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2012, 06:38:17 am »

It's the barista that determines the quality of the microfoam. My father has a semi-auto Saeco and I can bang out the milk just the same as a 20k commercial machine. Just takes a bit longer due to pressure.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2012, 12:05:16 pm »
I've got a Gaggia baby - When I use the ESE pods the coffee drips very, very slow. If I change cup thing to use gounded coffee it comes out at "normal" speed.

ould it be the the pod cap is not sitting properly? Or are the pods just in there too tight?
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: October 1, 2012, 03:49:20 pm »
i use Milton to clean my thermal mug every night. I fill it up to the brim with water, add a drop. hey presto, sparkling clean.

I've found the cure!!

I went in for a nose in the bike section of halfords and found myself a cleaning brush for the chain on a bike. Costs £3.50 and it has a 2 inch think/hard bristled brush on the end...just the type of brush I've been looking for, and it works wonders at cleaning the 'burnt' milk in the aerator, once it's done it's job!

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #231 on: October 11, 2012, 01:50:31 pm »
I've found the cure!!

I went in for a nose in the bike section of halfords and found myself a cleaning brush for the chain on a bike. Costs £3.50 and it has a 2 inch think/hard bristled brush on the end...just the type of brush I've been looking for, and it works wonders at cleaning the 'burnt' milk in the aerator, once it's done it's job!
sounds good. :)

I bought some beans from "Has Bean Coffee". Kenya Gachirago AA, gonna try these in a few mins in the Gaggia we have at work :)

Offline markcd

• Anny Roader
« Reply #232 on: October 11, 2012, 02:15:55 pm »
Amazon are selling Gaggia Baby for £149 - reduced from £249 (2 week wait) - seems like a pretty good deal.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2012, 02:44:18 pm »
Amazon are selling Gaggia Baby for £149 - reduced from £249 (2 week wait) - seems like a pretty good deal.

I have one of these.

Excellent machine, well worth it at that price.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2012, 03:50:21 pm »
much difference in the quality of the gaggia classic and gaggia baby?

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2012, 03:54:03 pm »
I can't see that price, got a link?

Offline markcd

• Anny Roader
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2012, 04:04:49 pm »
I can't see that price, got a link?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001442BF8/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21

If you look on the right hand side of the page, it says "More Buying Choices" and the £149 price is fulfilled by Amazon UK

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2012, 07:09:36 pm »
thank you Mark

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: October 11, 2012, 10:43:40 pm »
I've got a Gaggia baby - When I use the ESE pods the coffee drips very, very slow. If I change cup thing to use gounded coffee it comes out at "normal" speed.

ould it be the the pod cap is not sitting properly? Or are the pods just in there too tight?

The answer is not to use pods. They're for girls not very good.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan