Author Topic: Espresso Machines  (Read 76884 times)

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
Re: Espresso Machines
« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2011, 09:00:43 pm »
So how many of you Nespresso lovers have found a good cheap place on the Interweb to buy the capsules?

I'm thinking of byuing either this one:

or this one:

and I obviously want to buy the capsules as cheap as possible... :)

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2011, 10:37:04 am »
So how many of you Nespresso lovers have found a good cheap place on the Interweb to buy the capsules?

If you buy from the official site, they are priced between 27p - 31p. I think that's pretty cheap and you know they won't mess up your machine  ;)

I bought the 1st machine and love it. Currently, you can get a £40 voucher via Nespresso with www.hartsofstur.com. That means you can get that machine for net £134 which is fantastic!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:40:50 am by El Phes »

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #162 on: June 1, 2011, 05:47:43 pm »
Has anyone got the Dolce Gusto machine? I know it isn't a purist's machine but it is about all we can afford at the moment. Did have a Tassimo but the Mrs didn't like it......
Any recommend anything similar?
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline kaffy

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: June 1, 2011, 07:07:44 pm »
Has anyone got the Dolce Gusto machine? I know it isn't a purist's machine but it is about all we can afford at the moment. Did have a Tassimo but the Mrs didn't like it......
Any recommend anything similar?

I've got it and I love it! The amount of coffee machines I've gone through in my lifetime in search of a coffee machine that I like the taste of and without too much faffing about you wouldn't believe. Only thing is I now go thru too much coffee! Wish i'd got it years ago - I can't recommend it highly enough!
"I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager." - Rafa Benitez 3 June 2010

We've got our club back . . . (15/10/2010)

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #164 on: June 1, 2011, 09:05:44 pm »
I've got it and I love it! The amount of coffee machines I've gone through in my lifetime in search of a coffee machine that I like the taste of and without too much faffing about you wouldn't believe. Only thing is I now go thru too much coffee! Wish i'd got it years ago - I can't recommend it highly enough!
What sort of price are the pods?
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline kaffy

• Main Stander
« Reply #165 on: June 1, 2011, 09:40:47 pm »
They're around £3.50 a box. Some boxes make 8 cups of coffee (late/capucinno which have a coffee pod and a milk pod) and others make 16 (espresso which just have coffee pods). It can also make iced coffee and iced tea as well as mochachinno etc. Check out their website for more info. Also, a friend of mine who works in Costco said he saw them selling them in packs of 2 for £5.50 which saves £1.50. I just need to get myself a card to go there!!
"I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager." - Rafa Benitez 3 June 2010

We've got our club back . . . (15/10/2010)

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #166 on: June 3, 2011, 10:56:18 pm »
I've been reading through this thread as I'm considering getting the
DeLonghi Icona Eco310 and wondered what the serious caffeine partakers thought? £114 on Amazon, good value or can anyone recommend a better alternative.

Offline El Diablos

• The Chronologically Trousered Philanthropist
  • Legacy Fan
  • All posts copyright of Alan Smithee
« Reply #167 on: June 4, 2011, 03:50:17 am »
I've been reading through this thread as I'm considering getting the
DeLonghi Icona Eco310 and wondered what the serious caffeine partakers thought? £114 on Amazon, good value or can anyone recommend a better alternative.

I've had the Gaggia classic for about 4 years and its very good. Its a lot cheaper now than when i bought it. If its within your budget i'd spend that little bit more.

Looking through the thread i saw that a few people were also criticising the performance of the Dualit burr grinder and there was a youtube vid of a guy timing pulling a shot. I have the Dualit and have used it for over 2 years and my experience bears no resemblence to the guy on the vid. It takes about 25 seconds to pull a shot after ive ground it with the Dualit. In fact i dont use it on the very finest setting as that is actually too fine and can take 40 -50 odd seconds or more to pull. Ive also done a similar test by comparing it with preground Illy and found that the Dualit performance is very good. I get good crema every time. The only time my experience was similar to the youtube guy was when i set the Dualit all the way to the coarse setting which is supposed to be the setting for filter coffee.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: June 4, 2011, 04:13:14 am »
I work in the coffee industry and to be honest if you are serious about drinking real coffee you need to be grinding on demand. Pre-ground bought or Nespresso will never replicate what you get from a good cafe. It's like a halfway point between instant and true espresso. Once you grind fresh (between 8-23 days of roasting) coffee it starts to oxidise as the surface area exposed to air is greatly increased.

You really need:
> Fresh whole coffee beans
> A burr grinder
> An espresso machine which extracts under 9bar or 135psi

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: June 4, 2011, 04:16:08 am »

or this one:

and I obviously want to buy the capsules as cheap as possible... :)

That is so far from being a real coffee it's not funny. A blonde top on a latte means the first you taste is going to be milk, not coffee.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: June 8, 2011, 11:09:44 am »
Once you grind fresh (between 8-23 days of roasting) coffee it starts to oxidise as the surface area exposed to air is greatly increased.

> An espresso machine which extracts under 9bar or 135psi

I have a Nespresso machine which as you know is a pod machine, the coffee is completely sealed in an aluminium pod. How does air get to the coffee in the pod here?

Also, the machine 'produces' (is that the right word) 19bar which Nespresso think is the correct pressure.

Remember, Nespresso are coffee makers, not coffee machine makers. They get Migimix and Krups to make the machines, while they concentrate only on the coffee (which is very very good by the way!)

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: June 8, 2011, 01:59:56 pm »
I have a Nespresso machine which as you know is a pod machine, the coffee is completely sealed in an aluminium pod. How does air get to the coffee in the pod here?

Also, the machine 'produces' (is that the right word) 19bar which Nespresso think is the correct pressure.

Remember, Nespresso are coffee makers, not coffee machine makers. They get Migimix and Krups to make the machines, while they concentrate only on the coffee (which is very very good by the way!)

I'm not totally up to speed on the actual processes that Nespresso use to get the coffee in the pods. From my experience if I grind fresh coffee and vacuum seal into a bag and compare to whole beans sealed at the same time, the difference when made is dramatic even for the uninitiated. 

Good espresso is extracted using 9bar of pressure, to produce 25-30mls in 25-30 secs. Nespresso probably use 19bar to try and get as much flavour out of the pod as possible.

Nespresso has it's place, just like the Guinness widget has it's place. It's not going to give you the same experience you'd expect from a cafe or from using decent equipment at home.

Another negative associated with pods is that coffee is a perishable that needs to be used within a certain window. Sucking the air out does not improve its shelf life from 1 month to 12 months.

On a positive note, Nespresso introduces the consumer to more coffee experiences, through different roasting profiles and more importantly different single origins.

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2011, 12:11:18 am »
Wondered if anyone's got a Francis Francis x1, and what their opinion was? Style over substance, or worth it?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2011, 08:58:29 am »
I've read a lot about them as I was considering one, and the impression I got was that they were very much style over substance and that they pulled inconsistent shots.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2011, 04:40:48 pm »
I've read a lot about them as I was considering one, and the impression I got was that they were very much style over substance and that they pulled inconsistent shots.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like they're the Kevin Pietersen of the espresso machines then.

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2011, 06:23:09 pm »
What kind of machine can make ice coffee? Or can all of them do it... my uncle is looking to buy one and im chipping in because id imagine they arent cheap so can anyone recommend anything?
Justice for the 97

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2011, 06:31:23 pm »
What kind of machine can make ice coffee? Or can all of them do it... my uncle is looking to buy one and im chipping in because id imagine they arent cheap so can anyone recommend anything?
Cold milk, some ice, coffee (either a decoction of the real stuff or some spoons of instant). In blender. Blend. Add ice cubes and vanilla ice cream (optional). Simple!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: November 28, 2011, 10:09:58 am »
What's the best coffee / latte making machine out there atm? I've become hooked to Hazlenut latte's because of the Mrs

Offline markcd

• Anny Roader
« Reply #178 on: November 28, 2011, 05:56:32 pm »
So I want to buy a pod machine, and I've narrowed it down to these two:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/krups-dolce-gusto-kp210640-coffee-machine-red-01566151-pdt.html
Krups Dolce Gusto machine for £50

or
http://www.johnlewis.com/231079080/Product.aspx
Nespresso Essenza for £65, but you get £40 of coffee free.

I know this won't taste as good as grinding the beans myself, and all the other bollocks, but I've got to get breakfast down my two kids and get out the house in the morning, and I just want something better than instant crap.
Ta.

Offline pantbash

• is single and likely to remain that way
  • Kopite
  • A Bacchanalian - Still persecuted since BC
« Reply #179 on: November 28, 2011, 07:37:57 pm »
Anyone got a hand pump espresso machine?
I really fancy one & would like to know how effective they are.
Atheism (from Greek, "athos" meaning 'hell', "eios" meaning 'demon' or 'Satan', and "ismos" meaning Liberal, literally "Satan's Liberal Helldemon")

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: December 8, 2011, 10:08:32 pm »
What's the best coffee / latte making machine out there atm? I've become hooked to Hazlenut latte's because of the Mrs

Bump. There's loads of offers on atm if anyone can help

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: December 8, 2011, 10:38:37 pm »
Bump. There's loads of offers on atm if anyone can help
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0000C72XS/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Brilliant machine, and incredible value at the moment. I paid £225 for mine less than a year ago.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: December 14, 2011, 04:32:14 pm »
I need to read my Nespresso manual, but I recall skim reading about de-scaling the machine. Anyone done this for a Nespresso machine? Did you have to buy anything extra?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2012, 05:06:44 pm »
What are the best beans that people have had which are readily available in the supermarket? I usually buy my beans mail order, but have occasionally been caught short. I have found that Percol's Black and Beyond makes a decent espresso, but does anyone have any other favourites to recommend? (Whole beans please, not ground).

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2012, 05:08:42 pm »
I need to read my Nespresso manual, but I recall skim reading about de-scaling the machine. Anyone done this for a Nespresso machine? Did you have to buy anything extra?
Yes you need to buy the Descaling kit, it costs around £7.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2012, 05:18:59 pm »
Incidentally, bargain of the century here:
Lavazza Top Class 1kg

Normally £16 plus about a fiver P&P - on Amazon for £10.95 with free delivery.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: January 23, 2012, 10:43:09 pm »

whats your grinder mate?

still glad you got the gaggia?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2012, 11:39:34 pm »
Yeah, loving it. Got the Gaggia MDF grinder and the base with knock out drawer to go with it. Does a good job.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:42:28 pm by ۩ Imperator ۩ »

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2012, 11:52:54 pm »
Yeah, loving it. Got the Gaggia MDF grinder and the base with knock out drawer to go with it. Does a good job.

ill have a look at that!

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2012, 01:10:31 pm »

Serious question as interested V coffee pod arguement...

How long does a 1kg bag last? How do you 'keep' the beans? How fresh is the last 100gms of beans from that bag V pod system?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2012, 01:47:06 pm »
I use about 250g a week. I take 250g out of the bag at a time which is stored in an airtight jar. The rest of the bag is wrapped up and sealed and kept in a cool cupboard, never a fridge. There is no discernible difference in quality and aroma between the first serving and the last. Coffee keeps much better in whole beans than ground, so I grind fresh every morning.

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2012, 02:31:02 pm »
I use about 250g a week. I take 250g out of the bag at a time which is stored in an airtight jar. The rest of the bag is wrapped up and sealed and kept in a cool cupboard, never a fridge. There is no discernible difference in quality and aroma between the first serving and the last. Coffee keeps much better in whole beans than ground, so I grind fresh every morning.

How come, thought that's what you were supposed to do?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2012, 02:35:42 pm »
No, it's too moist in a fridge or in a freezer. This makes the coffee lose some of its oils and therefore its flavour. Much better to have those oils still in the bean than to have them condensed and dripping down the inside of your storage container.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:37:13 pm by ۩ Imperator ۩ »

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2012, 04:49:07 pm »
I use about 250g a week.

Is this you? (ps thanks for the info)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2012, 05:08:15 pm »
Is this you? (ps thanks for the info)

Just 2 doubles a day, not too crazy!

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2012, 11:13:13 pm »

Correct on all accounts.

To really enjoy good coffee you should consume it in a window between 7-28 after roasting (not opening). There is a degassing stage immediately after roasting which impacts the consistency of flavour and crema. After 20+ days the coffee tapers off.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: March 8, 2012, 03:00:35 pm »
Does anyone own a Citiz/Milk Nespresso machine....well, Magimix or Krups?

Do you have problems trying to clean your milk 'aerator'? Has anyone found a decent brush to clean it properly? Thanks

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: March 8, 2012, 07:04:16 pm »
Does anyone own a Citiz/Milk Nespresso machine....well, Magimix or Krups?

Do you have problems trying to clean your milk 'aerator'? Has anyone found a decent brush to clean it properly? Thanks

I've been told to put about a teaspoon of fairy liquid in it and filling it up with hot water up to the first fill line and either let it soak overnight or run it like you're frothing the milk or both. 
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Pheeny

« Reply #198 on: March 9, 2012, 10:37:36 am »
not espresso but still makes a decent coffee

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: March 9, 2012, 10:45:08 am »
not espresso but still makes a decent coffee
I've just replaced my knackered old Senseo with a newer Senseo quadrante and picked up a coffeeduck (http://shop.coffeeduck.com/en/coffeeduck-senseo-quadrante.html) at the same time.