Author Topic: Shanklyboy's and Fat Scousers ( Leo who's still alive ) auld arse thread  (Read 3990603 times)

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
Re: Shanklyboy's and Fat Scousers ( Leo who's still alive ) auld arse thread
« Reply #42800 on: December 16, 2020, 01:46:41 am »
I lost my Mum to dementia earlier this year, Johnno, Terrible disease, God help me if ever I start down that path.

You’re right, if course, about how Bobby moved through that midfield, he just ghosted past the opposition.... I always said with such graceful movement. And a thunderbolt of a shot in both feet! I only ever saw him on his visits to Anfield and, if course, on TV, but that was more than enough to appreciate what he was. Bill Shankly had the utmost respect for him, too. You’re a lucky guy to have been a Utd supporter in his heyday.

For all now good he was, Bobby spoke of how he didn’t feel he came close to being as good as Duncan Edwards. I can’t say I ever witnessed Duncan either live or on TV, the newsreels of him are very sparse. Did you get to see him play? He mist have really been something if Charlton was in such awe.

Its strange that the modern fan seems to have more respect for Jackie Charlton than Bobby. Now Jackie was as hard as nails, and I suppose popular in the changing room, but I always thought he was a dirty player and not on Bobby’s league. Don’t mean to speak ill of anybody, but there was a gulf in class.

Oh well, more reminisces. Its good I can still remember!
Victorious and glorious....

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #42801 on: December 16, 2020, 08:07:13 am »
I remember being abroad somewhere many years ago watching a TV match where Bobby Charlton was present. I was a bit surprised that the commentators held him in awe as England’s equivalent of Pelé. It’s almost as if we admire these people not just for their skill but as embodiments of their countries’ personalities. Pelé was exuberance and flamboyance. Maradona was tenacity and cunning. Bobby Charlton was very much seen as the best example of English fair play.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #42802 on: December 16, 2020, 08:13:58 am »
Yes I saw Big Dunc play live quite a few times. I was an eleven year old in 1956 and in those days it was ok for 11 year olds to go and see their heroes unaccompanied. Back then, there wasn't the widespread accessibility to watch games other than by physically being there. I suppose in truth I must have only seen the Big fella live about 4 times in the league plus once in the televised Cup Final in 1957 against Villa.
I briefly "spoke" to him outside the old Queens Hotel in Piccadilly as the players were boarding the coach to go and play away to Bolton. It wasn't a very informative conversation you understand mate - more like "Duncan please will you sign my autograph book?"  ;D ;D ;D

I realise I was only coming up 12 at the time and many things appeared "big" maybe "bigger" than they really were. Dunc was 20 and was to have only a year left to him but he seemed 3 times as big as me. But in my mind's eye I still can't see him as anything other than being colossal.

I have to disagree with Bobby about him feeling inferior to Dunc. Bobby was in HIS way also unique. He was so fast and graceful, spotted great options whilst at pace, creating goals for others as a result and as you say dynamite in both feet (but he was shite at heading . . . ;) ;) except for his first in 68 against Benfica). But he had his gazelle-like qualities whereas Dunc was equipped like a Challenger tank on speed!! The kids (and the grown-ups) of that generation particularly United fans but football fans everywhere really were very fortunate indeed to have seen great great players that today's overpaid and overrated prima donnas couldn't hold a candle to.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

• Kopite
« Reply #42803 on: December 16, 2020, 05:39:46 pm »
It was because of that lack of accessibility that the chance to see the big stars of the opposition was such a big draw. The hype before a game would be Jimmy Greaves this, Bobby Moore that, Gordon Banks, Jimmy Armfield, or mystic stars from abroad when the European tournaments got started. It wasn’t just about cheering your own team on, but the chance to see the best the game had to offer. I now love sitting in my armchair, seeing games on TV from far & wide, but I wonder if familiarity takes a bit of the shine off.

I, too, started going the match as an 11 year old, with the neighborhood kids in the Anfield Boys pen, stuck in the top corner of the Kop. It was a rough place, not for the meek. The objectives were 1-survival 2- watching the game & 3- evading the bobbies and bunking over the fence into the Kop. It was funny hearing the falsetto voices occassionaly getting through on the TV highlights on Match of the Day.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 11:16:25 pm by RedBootsTommySmith »

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42804 on: December 23, 2020, 06:57:40 am »
Boyhood eh? If we knew back then what we know now - We'd be effing millionaires Rodders!! Stay safe mate and have the best Christmas you can !!
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42805 on: December 24, 2020, 09:37:46 pm »
Merry Christmas to all who visit this forum, hope the season brings some much needed cheer to those who’ve struggled during these past dreadful months.
When in Rome...

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42806 on: December 25, 2020, 07:06:40 am »
To you Keith and to all the auld arses who have frequented this thread over the years - AND indeed to those who only drop in to post the occasional gem - I wish a very happy, healthy and peaceful Christmas. This is and has been the worst year I can ever remember in my 65 adult years. Up and down our country, lives have been stolen away by this virus, families shattered and the peacetime "normals" of our nation challenged as never before. A horrible year. But we'll weather it and come through it at some point but we WILL be changed. We will not forget the pain, the losses we've suffered nor the damage that has been done to so many of our people. Neither will we forget the decisions and actions taken by this government in their "handling" of the social and economic consequences  for our country  - the impacts of which have yet to emerge from this shitfest. Look forward to 2021 being NOTHING at all like 2020. Fingers crossed for us ALL.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #42807 on: December 25, 2020, 10:35:49 am »
Beautiful sentiments Johnno and echoed here. Merry Christmas, all you seasoned veterans

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42808 on: December 26, 2020, 10:15:16 am »
To you Keith and to all the auld arses who have frequented this thread over the years - AND indeed to those who only drop in to post the occasional gem - I wish a very happy, healthy and peaceful Christmas. This is and has been the worst year I can ever remember in my 65 adult years. Up and down our country, lives have been stolen away by this virus, families shattered and the peacetime "normals" of our nation challenged as never before. A horrible year. But we'll weather it and come through it at some point but we WILL be changed. We will not forget the pain, the losses we've suffered nor the damage that has been done to so many of our people. Neither will we forget the decisions and actions taken by this government in their "handling" of the social and economic consequences  for our country  - the impacts of which have yet to emerge from this shitfest. Look forward to 2021 being NOTHING at all like 2020. Fingers crossed for us ALL.

Eloquently put as always Jonno.  :)
When in Rome...

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42809 on: January 1, 2021, 09:12:14 pm »
2021 is now with us, I’d just like to hope there is a chink of light after a truly dreadful 2020. May this year be kinder than the one gone before it and auld arses prosper again.
When in Rome...

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #42810 on: January 2, 2021, 10:17:18 am »
Nice one Johnno.

A Man Utd supporting mate was the first to text me with a congrats message when we won it. We then had a chat about how our two clubs seem to always be on opposite trajectories and therefore rarely seem to be on top form at the same time. Maybe that will change next year with your lot looking on the up.

When we thought about it some more, we realised there has only really been two seasons in our lifetimes (we’re both 50) when both clubs have been properly going for the title in the same season (1980 and 2009, although we might’ve forgotten some others) which is amazing when either one or the other has won the league 25 times over the course of those 50 years!
Apologies all (except Johnno) I appear to have jinxed it!

Remains to be seen if they are genuine contenders though. Long way to go before that. City will have a say in things too.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42811 on: January 7, 2021, 07:55:38 pm »
Evening Red,

Ta for the "apology" mate - very considerate of you !!
Mind you, we're performing like a sheep's arse after last night's shambolics so you've nowt to worry about in the immediacy . . . . :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ See PS below

Stay safe folks wherever you are!!

PS What a difference 2 and a half weeks can make eh? But one off games are just that aren't they? For me it's all about consistency as ever it always has been.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 09:00:05 am by JohnnoWhite »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
jw1
« Reply #42812 on: February 4, 2021, 10:29:12 pm »
No I didn’t.  I actually didn’t even recognise the name  ;D

You don't remember Jack Witham's brief flirtation with being a goal scoring replacement for Hunt all of 50 years ago? Scored half a dozen in a shirt period then disappeared.

Offline BJ

• IT'S POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD
  • Anny Roader
jw2
« Reply #42813 on: February 5, 2021, 01:23:18 pm »
You don't remember Jack Witham's brief flirtation with being a goal scoring replacement for Hunt all of 50 years ago? Scored half a dozen in a shirt period then disappeared.
Mate I can’t remember what I had for my dinner yesterday so something from 50 years ago ... ::)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
jw3
« Reply #42814 on: February 5, 2021, 02:32:40 pm »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Whitham

At the end of that says he's a well-known singer/songwriter on the Yorkshire acoustic scene.
So, a quick look on YouTube and I presume this is him:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R5iDt_mX2DM

And for completeness, a hat-trick against Derby County.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aWZpHziLrCg&t=182s

So that's a name I never thought I'd look up  :)

Bloodyhell - he was there for FOUR years!! Good grief. Seemed like 4 weeks. Memory huh? Like you BJ. Shanks must have hidden him away in the fuckin attic.

;D

Thanks for links IDONTKNOW

:)

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42815 on: February 6, 2021, 07:54:44 am »
I spoke to my 81 year old mate who I use to work with years ago, he remembers Jack and that we bought him from Sheff Wed :)

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42816 on: February 6, 2021, 08:44:29 am »
I remember Jack Whitman , well if I’m remembering correctly he was a ginger and the reason I can certainly remember the name as an 8 / 9 year old living off Anfield road was seeing him play in the reserves most weeks.
Us kids lending neighbours and family members season ticket to go and see the reserves every other week free of charge was the norm ,I  must have seen all of Brian Kettles red career 😀

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42817 on: February 6, 2021, 01:57:32 pm »
Nice to see the Jack Witham conversation continuing in here.

I randomly mention him from time to time because for some reason I remember his signing particularly well, though I'd only have been eleven at the time. His signing and that of Tony Hateley and Alun Evans were all during that late 60s period, but amongst friends and fellow Reds, it's Jack that seems to have slipped from most memories, whilst the other two can be recalled with ease (I suppose that hat trick against Bayern Munich helps in the case of Evans)

In Witham's case it was a succession of injuries that saw his career stall at LFC. As we know Shanks wasn't the most patient with those who found themselves on the treatment table and Jack had a season ticket for his. There was a story, relayed by Ian St John, that Shanks would send Jack to train away from the rest of the team for fear of 'contaminating' the squad. On his own up beside the pig stys at Melwood apparently (pig stys at Melwood - who knew?)

Thanks to idontknow for posting the youtube links. Interestingly, in the Derby game, when Stevie Heighway cuts that ball back from the bye line for Witham to score, it seems to go through the legs of Terry Hennessey. He of the comb-over hairstyle, which has been entertainingly discussed recently, over in the Spurs thread.

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #42818 on: February 6, 2021, 05:07:02 pm »
His signing and that of Tony Hateley and Alun Evans were all during that late 60s period,
There was any number of Roger Hunt replacements back then. I thought that Jack Witham was the one. Not only for the hat-trick against Derby, but I saw him score a couple at Highfield Rd against Coventry – and he even looked a bit like Sir Roger...

Alun Evans started brilliantly, scoring on his debut in a 4-0 defeat of Leicester, then two in a 6-0 victory at Wolves (his former club). After a quiet period he seemed to be coming good again, until he got hit so hard at The Dell by John McGrath that his legs somersaulted over his head and his thighs started twitching as he regained consciousness. His confidence really crashed when he got glassed while having a quiet drink.

Tony Hateley alternated between brilliant and carthorse. I saw his first two games: dreadful against Arsenal, hat-trick against Newcastle, then an own goal at Highbury. Many years later I ended up working alongside him at the Everton Development Association at Goodison Park! I had to do projects there and Tony was an employee.

And nobody's even mentioned Alan Waddle. Scored the winner against Everton then disappeared without trace...

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #42819 on: February 8, 2021, 03:46:26 pm »
That hat trick against Derby I was standing at the front of the Road End against that wall/fence combo thing. I was about 12 and remember thinking Jack was a sensation and would go on to be a legend.
Didn't work out but still...good memories.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #42820 on: February 8, 2021, 05:21:12 pm »
Think it was my first away game at Huddersfield when I first saw Jack, I'd be 13, just checked because in my head, he scored but it was 0-0 so that's bollocks. Proper ginger. I stood in the cow shed as it was called at Leeds road. Think me arl fellah took me.I did go to some of the aways on me own but the following year I think. Anyway, there was another forgotten player -  scouse lad -  in the team that day, John McLaughlin. He was only a kid, 18/19 but played a lot the season after this, silky midfield player. Shanks raved about him. Then, all of a sudden he was out and never got back, no injuries or nothing. I remember him bagging a couple against the aforementioned, Huddersfield at Anfield. Completely forgot about him till I saw the team sheet. Just read he went to Portsmouth when the Saint was there, then the States but retired at 24 with a knee injury. Good player, John was.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2021, 05:24:38 pm by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #42821 on: February 8, 2021, 11:03:38 pm »
Think it was my first away game at Huddersfield when I first saw Jack, I'd be 13, just checked because in my head, he scored but it was 0-0 so that's bollocks. Proper ginger. I stood in the cow shed as it was called at Leeds road. Think me arl fellah took me.I did go to some of the aways on me own but the following year I think. Anyway, there was another forgotten player -  scouse lad -  in the team that day, John McLaughlin. He was only a kid, 18/19 but played a lot the season after this, silky midfield player. Shanks raved about him. Then, all of a sudden he was out and never got back, no injuries or nothing. I remember him bagging a couple against the aforementioned, Huddersfield at Anfield. Completely forgot about him till I saw the team sheet. Just read he went to Portsmouth when the Saint was there, then the States but retired at 24 with a knee injury. Good player, John was.

Bloody hell! That's the first time I ever saw Liverpool. I was eight or nine and on the Terrace with my dad. The few things I recall are Clemence wearing a cap, Shankly waving at the home supporters who were clapping him, and the travelling Kop singing YNWA before the game began. Plus our usual crush barrier being somewhere in the middle of the Liverpool contingent. It was the first time I'd ever heard a scouse accent - someone asked me why I was wearing an Everton scarf and his voice was like a song.

I remember McLaughlin too. Not particularly from that match, but from the return at Anfield where I think he scored a brace. Keegan ended his career didn't he? He could do everything that McLaughlin could do, except at twice the speed!
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #42822 on: February 8, 2021, 11:23:35 pm »
Bloody hell! That's the first time I ever saw Liverpool. I was eight or nine and on the Terrace with my dad. The few things I recall are Clemence wearing a cap, Shankly waving at the home supporters who were clapping him, and the travelling Kop singing YNWA before the game began. Plus our usual crush barrier being somewhere in the middle of the Liverpool contingent. It was the first time I'd ever heard a scouse accent - someone asked me why I was wearing an Everton scarf and his voice was like a song.

I remember McLaughlin too. Not particularly from that match, but from the return at Anfield where I think he scored a brace. Keegan ended his career didn't he? He could do everything that McLaughlin could do, except at twice the speed!

Small world Yorky, mate. Think John was done before KK. Had one big season 70/71 then barely played. Were you wearing a terriors scarf or was it a genuine Everton one? John Mac did score a brace against them at Anfield, might have been the season after so we were both there for that one too?

Fooking hell, just dawned that was over 50 years ago...
« Last Edit: February 8, 2021, 11:26:53 pm by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42823 on: February 9, 2021, 07:52:32 am »

And nobody's even mentioned Alan Waddle. Scored the winner against Everton then disappeared without trace...

Not forgotten in our household. Posted this recently in another thread when he was randomly name checked.

Alan Waddle is my wife's half cousin. Good old Geordie Wallsend folk. Mind you, she hasn't seen him since they were both kids and would you believe it, Alan wasn't too fussed about distant family visiting on a Sunday. He just wanted to be out in the street kicking a football around.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42824 on: February 9, 2021, 05:00:22 pm »
Small world Yorky, mate. Think John was done before KK. Had one big season 70/71 then barely played. Were you wearing a terriors scarf or was it a genuine Everton one? John Mac did score a brace against them at Anfield, might have been the season after so we were both there for that one too?

Fooking hell, just dawned that was over 50 years ago...

It was just an old-fashioned blue and white bar scarf and the scouser was gently pulling my leg. I wrote about this match on RAWK yonks ago because it was the reason I became a Liverpool supporter. Still got the old Town scarf though.

I didn't see the McLaughlin brace (my first match at Anfield was the opener v Man City in August 1972). I just remember it because Huddersfield were briefly top of the division when they visited Anfield and got their comeuppance. As for Kevin, he arrived in time for the following season didn't he? In 71-72. Perhaps McLaughlin was out of favour by then. He didn't feature in the '71 Cup Final at any rate.

Well, nice to know you were there Bobby. Odd feeling isn't it? So long ago now.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #42825 on: February 9, 2021, 10:29:42 pm »
Talk of Witham and the early 70s reminds me of our first celebrity couple - Phil Boersma and Sharon Maugham.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42826 on: February 23, 2021, 06:40:05 am »
Just checking in that all you auld arses are doing OK in the midst of this shitfest. Stay well and behave yourselves - well, as much as you're able to anyroad . . . . ::) ::) ::)

• Kopite
The Saint’s gone. That’s me done, now. RIP, Ian.

I can’t believe how much this has upset me.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2021, 10:44:45 pm by RedBootsTommySmith »

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
The Saint’s gone. That’s me done, now. RIP, Ian.

I can’t believe how much this has upset me.

Yeah me too mate. Any arl arse that started going in the 60's will have great memories of the Saint. Only one I got more upset as was Emlyn Hughes. I know he riled a few people during his QOS days but as a player he was an absolute warrior who like St John gave his all in a red shirt.

Offline Rick13

• Main Stander
Just checking in that all you auld arses are doing OK in the midst of this shitfest. Stay well and behave yourselves - well, as much as you're able to anyroad . . . . ::) ::) ::)

All good here, John. Hope all well with you and yours.

Read this piece regarding the passing and personality of Phil Chisnall. His comments about football back in the 60's, compared to more recent times, echos your quote from Matt Busby at the base of your posts. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/phil-chisnall-liverpool-man-united-19963529
"We believe there's never a cause that's lost" Bill Shankly

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
After a little break I couldn't remember where Jack Whitham was discussed, no search engine too.

Finally tracked the fecker here..couple of snippets for the JW club.  :D

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
After a little break I couldn't remember where Jack Whitham was discussed, no search engine too.

For some reason it started in a post match thread a month or so ago Med, so I cut them in to this thread so the great discussion didn't get lost. They will be here a couple of pages back I suppose :)

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Here are the goals. Liverpool 3-2 Derby. Two brilliantly coached teams. Derby edged us for the Title that year.

https://sw-ke.facebook.com/TheKopLocker/videos/493100014192139/

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
For some reason it started in a post match thread a month or so ago Med, so I cut them in to this thread so the great discussion didn't get lost. They will be here a couple of pages back I suppose :)

Aye John I think that's where I originally saw it, great work mate.  :thumbup
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42834 on: March 17, 2021, 06:21:26 am »

All good here, John. Hope all well with you and yours.

Read this piece regarding the passing and personality of Phil Chisnall. His comments about football back in the 60's, compared to more recent times, echos your quote from Matt Busby at the base of your posts. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/phil-chisnall-liverpool-man-united-19963529

Hi Rick - I did see Phil play of course but hand on heart I have to say that for me, he didn't light any special fires back in the early 60's. Bloody hell!! Just realised he was only 3 years older than me!! RIP Phil Chisnall.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #42835 on: April 26, 2021, 06:52:58 pm »
I have never met him. Nor I think he ever knew who I was. But something about his signature made me reminiscent of certain events in my life. I have always read this. But today, it made me come here and post. I don't know why.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #42836 on: April 28, 2021, 02:15:09 pm »
Had a wonderful mo yesterday.

Mum is 96 now.  I talk to her 4x a day and always when she goes to bed.

We talk footy, she loves it.  Chair-ridden, she watches Spanish, German leagues, volume way up in languages other than English, fuck knows what her apartment neighbors think, bu.... anyroad.

So I tell her this pirate joke and she starts to laff.  And laff.  And laff.  She couldn't stop.  It was the most wonderful thing.  I've never heard anyone laff for a good 3 minutes like that.  I was worried she was gonna have a heart attack.  She was laughing that her sides had never hurt so much.

Now the best memory of her I will ever have.
Kill the humourless

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42837 on: April 30, 2021, 08:08:41 am »
Great to hear that lovely moment mate. As they oft times say, the old un's are the best eh?

Speaking of which, what was the pirate joke? Could do with a sodding laff meself . . . . ;D ;D ;D

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #42838 on: April 30, 2021, 05:37:10 pm »
It' so old. 

Pirate walks into a pub. 

Peg leg, hook for hand, eye patch.

Fella asks him: "How'd yer lose yer leg?"

Pirate: "Cannonball.  Shot me leg clear off."

"How'd yer lose yer hand?"

"Cannonball.  Shot me arm clear off."

"How'd yer lose yer eye?  Cannonball?"

"Seagull.  Beautiful day, only 2 clouds in the sky.  I looked up and the bastard shat right in me eye."

"How the bleeding hell did you lose yer eye to birdshit?"

"It was me first day with the hook."
Kill the humourless

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
The old un's are alright right enough mate  ;D ;D ;D