Author Topic: Liverpool FC - 3 - 0 FC Gomel (FT) Borini, Gerrard, Johnson  (Read 56915 times)

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
  • Phil M's biggest female fan
Re: Liverpool FC - 3 - 0 FC Gomel (FT) Borini, Gerrard, Johnson
« Reply #400 on: August 10, 2012, 01:13:28 pm »
yes i had a giggle when one of the commentators said Spearing would be competing with Lucas and it's hard to see who would be starting out of the two of them ;D

Thought I had heard wrong until I read the posts here  ;D Had a good laugh about that  ;D

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #401 on: August 10, 2012, 01:15:32 pm »
Thought I had heard wrong until I read the posts here  ;D Had a good laugh about that  ;D

Go back a couple of years and loads of Liverpool fans would be whinging that Lucas was getting games ahead of Spearing.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: August 10, 2012, 01:20:46 pm »
Instead we get the tie won and just bring Spearing, Adam and Carragher on, which was a wasted opportunity.
I think it was considered more important to improve match fitness with the start of the season so close.

Offline TrueNorthRED

• Kopite
« Reply #403 on: August 10, 2012, 01:21:26 pm »
I wasn't having a go at you mate. I'm simply referring to your original point (a post that a few others have expressed in this thread) that we should temper our excitement because we were playing "poor opposition". The fact remains. We've played shockingly bad against poor opposition over the past few years. More times than I'd like to recount. We've been outplayed by lesser teams too. But that was not the case last night. New manager. New system. Thought the lads did VERY well last night. However, if your intent is to remind people that they should 'keep their feet on the ground', I'd agree with you. Believe me...my feet are placed firmly on the ground, but let's not piss on the parade too prematurely, eh?. The game was a joy to watch. Good movement at times. Good finishing. Good inter-play. Three essential factors to any game played whether you're up against good OR poor opposition.
"He plays as any supporter would if they were born with such demonic talent."

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: August 10, 2012, 01:32:08 pm »
Let's not get carried away, lads. We played some fast and nice stuff under Kenny at times last season, and it still turned out disasterously.

We need to be much tougher mentally when things aren't going are way, and it was unlikely that the pre-Europa League qualifiers would give us that test. West Brom will be a huge step up.

Having Lucas back just makes such a colossal difference. Suarez is frankly just one of the most enjoyable players to watch in the world. I can't believe he actually plays for us sometimes. Borini has the potential to be a replacement for Kuyt - guy who can go wide or be a striker, eye for goal, active movement - but younger and faster, less miles on the clock... and probably a better touch.

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: August 10, 2012, 01:32:46 pm »
Go back a couple of years and loads of Liverpool fans would be whinging that Lucas was getting games ahead of Spearing.

Now that has me laughing again  ;D ;D

Offline ArchieC

• Legacy Fan
  • Once a Red Always a Red WE BLEED RED!!
« Reply #406 on: August 10, 2012, 01:35:28 pm »
We'll know exactly where we are at when the premier league kicks off. Obviously going 2 be much physical, tougher, less space and higher quality than what we saw with Gomel.
But to be honest with you, watching the game, we did look fantastic with our running and creativity so with Brendan and his gameplan it'll keep growing on the players week in week out so i'm pleased with what i saw. Still early days 2 judge but extremely positive nonetheless :)
We all bleed RED!!

Offline ScouserAlec

• Kopite
« Reply #407 on: August 10, 2012, 01:37:29 pm »
Let's not get carried away, lads. We played some fast and nice stuff under Kenny at times last season, and it still turned out disasterously.

We need to be much tougher mentally when things aren't going are way, and it was unlikely that the pre-Europa League qualifiers would give us that test. West Brom will be a huge step up.

Having Lucas back just makes such a colossal difference. Suarez is frankly just one of the most enjoyable players to watch in the world. I can't believe he actually plays for us sometimes. Borini has the potential to be a replacement for Kuyt - guy who can go wide or be a striker, eye for goal, active movement - but younger and faster, less miles on the clock... and probably a better touch.

I know the feeling, even better feeling to know that he has just signed a new deal.
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #408 on: August 10, 2012, 01:38:52 pm »
Just hope we can get off to a decent start.

It's hard to play that kind of football under pressure and 3 points at WBA would give the new regime an enormous lift.

Personally, I love to see a Liverpool side hunt the ball early, it's what I grew up with and does get the crowd going. We need sides coming to Anfield to be out of their comfort zone and high fast pressing does that.

If we can keep that side on the pitch more often than not (with Allen for Shelvey) then we will win more than we lose and will challenge for the top 4 without a doubt. Just need a good start otherwise tension creeps in and instead of defenders and keepers being composed under pressure they will just start hoofing.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: August 10, 2012, 01:40:13 pm »
I wasn't having a go at you mate. I'm simply referring to your original point (a post that a few others have expressed in this thread) that we should temper our excitement because we were playing "poor opposition". The fact remains. We've played shockingly bad against poor opposition over the past few years. More times than I'd like to recount. We've been outplayed by lesser teams too. But that was not the case last night. New manager. New system. Thought the lads did VERY well last night. However, if your intent is to remind people that they should 'keep their feet on the ground', I'd agree with you. Believe me...my feet are placed firmly on the ground, but let's not piss on the parade too prematurely, eh?. The game was a joy to watch. Good movement at times. Good finishing. Good inter-play. Three essential factors to any game played whether you're up against good OR poor opposition.

I agree, it was all encouraging last night. But I do remember the last time we played at this stage of the Europa was under Hodgson when we played good football against Rabotniki and we were told 'the shackles were off'. The encouraging thing is we know Rodgers' football philosophy is a good one.

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: August 10, 2012, 01:41:28 pm »
I'm still made up, texted my best mate's ear off about how delighted I was with yesterday's display. Didn't feel that optimistic a couple of months ago, or even before last season, so am a very happy camper  ;D

Might force my better half to watch the match with me again :D Thrills all around  ;D

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: August 10, 2012, 01:44:42 pm »
Yesterday was the ideal game to have a couple of youngsters like Sterling, Morgan and Pacheco on the bench and then if we get the tie won early - which we did - give them 30 minutes with the pressure off.

Instead we get the tie won and just bring Spearing, Adam and Carragher on, which was a wasted opportunity.

The negativity :lmao

You are depressing.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: August 10, 2012, 01:53:17 pm »
The negativity :lmao

You are depressing.

It's not negative. Yesterday was a really good, solid performance with what is currently our best team until we make any more signings.

But is there a better time to bring on a youngster than when you're 4-0 up in early round European tie at a packed Anfield? No, not really. So it was a missed opportunity not to bring any on.

Our first XI is generally really good. Our second XI generally isn't very good. We need to know what youngsters we can count on. To do that they need games.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: August 10, 2012, 01:58:14 pm »
I bet it was puppetmaster Carragher who orchestrated getting himself on the pitch and all.

I trust the manager to know what he's doing with regards to the players' fitness personally.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: August 10, 2012, 02:00:27 pm »
I bet it was puppetmaster Carragher who orchestrated getting himself on the pitch and all.

I trust the manager to know what he's doing with regards to the players' fitness personally.

No, but why not bring Kelly on for example (out of what was on the bench)? 4-0 up on aggregate that was an ideal time to give him minutes at centre back. And he also needs minutes for his match fitness after only playing 45 minutes in pre-season.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: August 10, 2012, 02:02:57 pm »
Carragher was brought on for sentimental reasons, nothing more.

Adam, probably because we are looking to sell and need to keep him match sharp for that reason. Spearing, probably the same thing.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: August 10, 2012, 02:04:35 pm »
No, but why not bring Kelly on for example (out of what was on the bench)? 4-0 up on aggregate that was an ideal time to give him minutes at centre back. And he also needs minutes for his match fitness after only playing 45 minutes in pre-season.

Carragher was brought on for us to acknowledge him passing 700 games for us. You're reading too much into, as with everything else.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: August 10, 2012, 02:13:58 pm »
Carragher was brought on for us to acknowledge him passing 700 games for us. You're reading too much into, as with everything else.

So it was still a wasted opportunity not to bring Kelly on then.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: August 10, 2012, 02:17:53 pm »

Kelly will likely not be a starter for us when the season begins, so he will have plenty of time to get fit.

And I'm sure Rogers knows better than you where all the players are at regarding fitness, so I think I'll trust him.

Offline killbot

• Main Stander
« Reply #419 on: August 10, 2012, 02:51:36 pm »
by the way, woodwork count is at 2 games, 1 post!

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: August 10, 2012, 02:57:47 pm »
Are you ever happy with one of our matches? We won 3-0 and we're through, stop looking for negatives. It's not like the younger players not getting some minutes last night automatically bans them from playing any further games for us  ::)

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #421 on: August 10, 2012, 03:02:45 pm »

I hope to God that's not the case

I hope Carragher was brought on because Rodgers thought he was the best man to help keep a clean sheet for the last 15 minutes and nothing else
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #422 on: August 10, 2012, 03:07:06 pm »
It's not negative. Yesterday was a really good, solid performance with what is currently our best team until we make any more signings.

But is there a better time to bring on a youngster than when you're 4-0 up in early round European tie at a packed Anfield? No, not really. So it was a missed opportunity not to bring any on.

Our first XI is generally really good. Our second XI generally isn't very good. We need to know what youngsters we can count on. To do that they need games.

I thought most of our youngsters were on their way to Ireland for some friendlies. 
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #423 on: August 10, 2012, 03:09:32 pm »
Reckon Kelly, Coates, Carra, Spearing, Adam, Henderson, Cole and Carroll may all get some run out this weekend in the friendly.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #424 on: August 10, 2012, 03:11:39 pm »
Yesterday was the ideal game to have a couple of youngsters like Sterling, Morgan and Pacheco on the bench and then if we get the tie won early - which we did - give them 30 minutes with the pressure off.

get your point but this looks a bit like some are never happy comment,
maybe sunday he is planning something.
maybe he wanted Carra on out of sentiment,
maybe he wanted to take Lucas off, so Jay on,
maybe he wanted Adam out in the shop window

they said on the com that when we were playing that well why change it at all,
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #425 on: August 10, 2012, 03:14:58 pm »
Comment from the offy re. one of Rodgers post-match observations:
(Boss excited by forward line)

Why dnt u eva talk of Pacheco n Carroll,u act lyk they r not Lfc playas
-Asiegbu
-9th Aug 2012 10:30

:lmao
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: August 10, 2012, 03:16:30 pm »

they said on the com that when we were playing that well why change it at all,

Which is spot on, because if that's that's the same kind of team you're wanting to put out when we first face West Brom, we'll want them to have had some time to gel and to understand how to play with each other better.

There's plenty of time in the season to blood in the youngsters.

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #427 on: August 10, 2012, 03:19:59 pm »
Won a European game 3-0. Played good football.
Our new manager Brendan Rodgers first game at anfield.
Our new signing Borini scores on home debut.
Lucas Leiva plays 85 mins and confirms his fitness.
Luis Suarez looks dangerous and ready for the new season.

And some people want to debate about Jamie Carragher being subbed on in the second half.

I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: August 10, 2012, 03:20:18 pm »
I hope to God that's not the case

I hope Carragher was brought on because Rodgers thought he was the best man to help keep a clean sheet for the last 15 minutes and nothing else

Did you think that when Rafa bought Sami on at the end of our last home game before he left the club?

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #429 on: August 10, 2012, 03:31:26 pm »
Watched the game last night and  was very pleased with what I saw. Lets get the bad out of the way first though.

Profligacy. We still got it. Wasted a lot of good chances and possession in around the box. We coughed up possession easily, but not as a result of crappiness in the middle or backline, but because we were wasteful in the last third.

Scariness. Ho boy, the high jinks at the back with the ball are more than a little nerve-wracking. Playing around opposition strikers in our own box... I could feel the hair on my head standing up at one point. Buck needs to stop watching them Barca videos.

Opposition. Weren't very good, which makes it hard judge how good a performance it was. For example, in the hurly burly of the premiership will that high back line and attempts to play out of defence come undone more regularly

Sourness. Some sour points for a few of the players. Shelvey I feel was trying too hard, lucky not to be carded earlier and his driving runs to nowhere seemed to be borne of a desire to be the new Gerrard. He was much more effective when he played it simple. Downing, much more involved and penetrative, but them final balls still feel pointless to me. Adam. Came on, played a sumptuous ball out the left off his outside boot, floated like a bee as his opposite number sprinted past him with the ball, stung like a butterfly as he blundered into the back of his opponent later on, giving away a cheap free for no reason. Some things never change.

But these are real nitpicks in what, overall, was an extremely positive game. Why? Well firstly Buck picked the exact side I would have picked (bar maybe Shelvey for Henderson, but much of a muchness) had I been manager. And he set them up to play exactly how I would have wanted, so he must be right, right?

Jesting aside, the 433 really suited those players. Enrique and Johnson, let loose up the wing and removed of the need to defend in depth, are excellent attacking options and looked much happier in that role. Agger is made to play a highline (no coincidence that after that game Buck was fulsome in his praise and desire to keep Agger. Seeing him in action is an education) and Skrtel is just happy to have the Dane beside him to clean everything up. So, a happy settled backline, but ably assisted by an active midfield. Lucas was a joy to behold, at one point sprinting at a player. Player passed the ball on, Lucas kept sprinting and ran ball, player and himself off the pitch. Marvellous. Shelvey was a bit skittish and unsure, but provided a useful function, linking to Lucas and Gerrard. Gerrard though. How much more effective and happy is he to be given free reign without the drudgery of tracking back at his age. It was like 2008/9 all over again as Rodgers had him reprise his attacking role. Best I have seen him play in months.

The real damage was done up front. Suarezdependence. That's the only way to describe the team now. He is so frighteningly effective, so creative and busy, it fills me with fear to imagine the side without him. But in this game he was ably assisted by Borini, who looks a fantastic foil for him. He finds space, he works hard, he's clever in his movement and some of the interplay between Suarez, gerrard and Borini was superb. Beside them Downing still looks a bit meat and two veg, albeit more inclined to have a go and more effective further forward and downt he channels.

So, overall, very encouraging and best of all the balance looked excellent and the players looked really comfortable. I get the impression that if we dominate sides this year we could hump the shit out of them. The flipside though is I wonder how vulnerable they will look against a stronger, faster, more technically skilled side?

But lets put them concerns aside and just finish on a few minor observations;

- I can see exactly how Allen will fit into that side, but where does that leave Adam, Henderson, Spearing and Shelvey. Or Sterling, Pacheco and Suso for that matter. Thank god for Euro football to give more chances to the younger/fringe players eh?
- How hilarious were those ESPN morons? "Here's Spearing, it'll be interesting to see who comes out ahead in his battle for places this year, Spearing or Lucas" followed by dead silence of the 'are you shitting me?' variety by his co-commentator
- how bad was that linesman?
As usual - a very good post, DK.

Re the higher line. I was almost as surprised with the game against Spurs as last night and that question was answered then for me, since it was my MAIN attraction and reason to follow that game. Spurs held a high line, but we were far more intelligent in our implementation of this. Not once were we breached by a clever ball in behind the defense or a clever run without Reina being there to easily mop up(and I can remember 2 occasions). This was "allowed" only when Reina and the defense were clear on it. We- in turn- looked like we exploited their's at least once every quarter.

After that match, my fears of a high line were basically settled. I must say, our use of the high line- not as unintelliegent and rigid as Spurs' and Chelsea's(under Vija-Boa)- reminds  me of Rafa's implementation, in fact our pressing does as well. Both of these exhibit- at least at this early stage- a higher degree of intelligence than is usual. Also- we shouldn't forget that we have players who excelled at a lot of what Rodgers is re-implementing again now- excelled to the highest level and nullified no other than Barca at the Camp Nou.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 03:40:42 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: August 10, 2012, 03:59:56 pm »

« Reply #431 on: August 10, 2012, 04:29:08 pm »
Thatīs the point of it all. It would be hard to understand giving away players like Agger or even Aquilani while keeping the likes of Cole, Spearing and Adam. Dempsey could be just coming in for having an american player around for marketing reasons, who knows, and there may be even more nasty and strange reasons for some of our policy recentely...

Letīs hope it turns out good and we are going for the best possible while keeping our best.
Oh dear, what is this shit about Aquilani and Demspey. Some people are unbelievable.

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: August 10, 2012, 06:40:43 pm »
I don't want to jinx anything, but the last two years I was not confident for LFC's upcoming year.

I know we've only played a few friendlies, and Gomel, but it looks like we are finding a nice balance all around. Our defense was strong last year, but it didn't matter without finishing. Towards the end of last year Carroll was finally looking more comfortable, Suarez at his best, Gerrard came back, and now Lucas is back, Borini looks fast, aggressive, and looks to be able to finish from what little I've seen. Also adds a bit of creativity. Downing already coming close to tying the amount of goals he scored in total last season, and that is in the first two official matches. Agger and Skrtel (assuming they are staying) look stronger than ever, Johnson is a bit off and on but I love having him as our RB. I was excited about Enrique when he first came, but I feel like he needs to step it up. Loses possession too much in our third, and while creative, really wasn't helping our defense or offense all that much. Last but not least, I'm ecstatic with our midfielding options now.

I really hope we challenge for the top 4 this year.

I realize my contributions regarding LFC add little to the discussion and obviously wouldn't be considered an expert analysis, but I wanted to vent my optimism somewhere!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:42:59 pm by BRDispatch05 »
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline kates bush

• Anny Roader
  • "Get it?" "Got it." "Good!""
« Reply #433 on: August 10, 2012, 06:59:41 pm »
Oh dear, what is this shit about Aquilani and Demspey. Some people are unbelievable.

I know it is really hard, but I find if you ignore these people they tend to go away after a while.
"Hoss Bender, dead at the age of WHO THE F#CK CARES?"

Online richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #434 on: August 10, 2012, 07:04:31 pm »
I thought the atmosphere was very good last night. Annoyingly a lot better than most league matches (and you can speculate why).

Whether by design or fluke it seemed that Downing was very quick to try and get past the full back and his delivery of crosses was quite good. Weirdly if Carroll played (and his movement was good) it would have been a good opportunity for him.

Lucas was great. I winced every time he went in for a tackle but I suppose it's a good sign he feels he can throw himself into things.

The back 4 is very good and I'd be loathed to break that up.

Pepe's instructions not to belt it away is laudable but out of all the times he'll make the charging striker look stupid I can't help feeling he'll get nobbled and look daft one time.

Borini looks a good addition, Gerrard is so far superior when played in the attacking 1/4 and no words can describe the uncontrollable unpredictable Suarez. He's magic.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #435 on: August 10, 2012, 07:05:08 pm »
I know it is really hard, but I find if you ignore these people they tend to go away after a while.

trouble is it's usually a long while
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: August 10, 2012, 07:15:01 pm »
trouble is it's usually a long while

Typically about three months ;)
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

royhendo

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:19:12 pm by royhendo »