Author Topic: Five English clubs named in ‘European Super League’ plan for 2021  (Read 38622 times)

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
Looks like it could be serious this time

Five English clubs are among 11 so-called “founding members” in a proposal for a European Super League to start in 2021, according to documents released by Der Spiegel on Friday.

The German magazine – as part of the latest Football Leaks revelations – claims Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United and Manchester City are among the clubs who have been in negotiations about a new competition to replace the Champions League in three years’ time.

A draft of a “binding term sheet” sent on 22 October 2018 by the firm Key Capital Partners to Real Madrid’s president, Florentino Pérez, appears to show the English clubs would be joined by Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain and Milan as founding members with a further five clubs – Atlético Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Marseille, Internazionale and Roma – appearing as “initial guests”.

According to Der Spiegel, the 11 founding teams could not be relegated and would be part of the league for the first 20 years. The date by which the 16 clubs are to sign the “binding term sheet” is listed as November 2018.

When contacted by journalists working on the leaks, Real Madrid and Key Capital Partners declined to comment on the document.

Bayern, when asked for a comment, said the club was aware of “neither the existence nor the content” of the draft of the “binding term sheet.” Furthermore, he added, Bayern “as a matter of policy, does not comment on confidential discussions”.

The 11 founding clubs, according to the document, would register a company in Spain to market, organise and execute the European Super League under its full control. The competition would have a group stage and a knockout round. There is also a suggestion that a second league under the European Super League could be created.

The document also has a list of potential ownership stakes by the individual clubs in the joint European Super League company, with Real Madrid holding 18.77%, Barcelona 17.61% and Manchester United 12.58%.

Last year the Uefa president, Aleksander Ceferin, accused Europe’s top leagues of attempting to “blackmail” the governing body and told leading clubs he would never allow the creation of a European super league. Ceferin accused “some leagues” of trying to hold Uefa to ransom and “some clubs” of agitating for a closed super league.

“To some clubs, I shall say it calmly and dispassionately, but firmly and resolutely: there will be no closed league. Quite simply, that is not in line with our values and ideals,” he said in 2017.

“We will never give in to the blackmail of those who think they can manipulate small leagues or impose their will on the associations because they think they are all powerful on account of the astronomical revenues they generate.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/02/five-english-clubs-named-in-super-league-plan-chelsea-manchester-city-united-arsenal-liverpool

On a slightly lighter note, there was this paragraph in the Mail about the same thing that made me laugh:

Der Spiegel say that the five ‘initial guests’, according to the document, would be Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Olympique Marseille, Inter Milan and AS Roma, which would certainly come as a blow to Spurs and Everton. :lmao :lmao

« Last Edit: August 9, 2023, 06:08:06 pm by Titi Camara »
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Five English clubs named in ‘European Super League’ plan for 2021
« Reply #1 on: November 3, 2018, 03:53:00 am »
The day this happens is the day me and football are finished.

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #2 on: November 3, 2018, 04:49:56 am »
Nope.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #3 on: November 3, 2018, 05:00:39 am »
What if in the first year the place, the top 17 UEFA coefficient team are placed in the league. So all team will have 8 home game plus 8 away games in random order. So each team only plays each other one time.

After the end of the league season, last four will be relegated and the semi finalist of the second competition will be promoted. The second competition will be knockout competition like the UEFA Cup.

So we still have the national league and we will have a super league where all top teams will play each other once a season. No more league cup and also no double leg system knockout the the Spanish Cup.

None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #4 on: November 3, 2018, 05:05:33 am »
What if in the first year the place, the top 17 UEFA coefficient team are placed in the league. So all team will have 8 home game plus 8 away games in random order. So each team only plays each other one time.

After the end of the league season, last four will be relegated and the semi finalist of the second competition will be promoted. The second competition will be knockout competition like the UEFA Cup.

So we still have the national league and we will have a super league where all top teams will play each other once a season. No more league cup and also no double leg system knockout the the Spanish Cup.

What about.. No?

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 3, 2018, 05:05:50 am »
I'll stop watching football if this ever happens. Lets be honest though, as ridiculous as it sounds to a majority of fans I don't think UEFA would give a shit. And I bet some fucking corrupt multi-billionaire will start lining their pockets to try and push this through, no doubt. I'd be disappointed if Liverpool even agreed in princible to this concept.
I'm not saying this concept is "right" -- it's not. It's the rich getting richer and not giving a damn about the rest of the footballing world.

But put yourself in Liverpool's shoes. Here are your two choices:

1. Be in a watered-down Champions League where the biggest clubs are the #6 club in England, the #3-5 clubs in France, Germany & Italy, the #4-5 clubs in Spain, and all the other clubs that usually get eliminated in the group stages. So basically, be in the Europa League from now on. Liverpool will be regarded as a 2nd tier club forevermore.

2. Be in a 16-team league of the very biggest names in the sport, including the 4 other biggest clubs in England. More $$, more prestige, more TV sets around the globe watching.

Liverpool aren't going to choose door #1.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #6 on: November 3, 2018, 05:07:39 am »
I'm not saying this concept is "right" -- it's not. It's the rich getting richer and not giving a damn about the rest of the footballing world.

1. Be in a watered-down Champions League where the biggest clubs are the #6 club in England, the #3-5 clubs in France, Germany & Italy, the #4-5 clubs in Spain, and all the other clubs that usually get eliminated in the group stages. So basically, be in the Europa League from now on. Liverpool will be regarded as a 2nd tier club forevermore.

2. Be in a 16-team league of the very biggest names in the sport, including the 4 other biggest clubs in England. More $$, more prestige, more TV sets around the globe watching.

Yeah.. get your point but no.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 3, 2018, 07:10:26 am »

...which is exactly why "football as a business" is killing the game.

Your two options are to render yourself an irrelevance or to destroy the integrity of the national league and sell your soul to the money men.

Both options are shit, so the point is that it's an outrage you might be forced to make that decision in the first place.

Liverpool would have to choose option two. They'd have to... But I don't see how I could be arsed with professional football anymore...
« Last Edit: November 3, 2018, 07:14:12 am by Robert_B »

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: November 3, 2018, 07:29:21 am »
As Klopp said, there's no space for more fucking competitions in football. The league, cup games, QF games, EC, WC, now this League of Nations, friendly games. Players and managers, barely can catch a break. Sadly, we'll see more and more players collapsing on the pitch.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #9 on: November 3, 2018, 07:29:21 am »
What a load of shite. A league competition where you can’t get relegated for 20 years? :lmao Playing the same teams every year? No thanks.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 3, 2018, 07:38:44 am »
Fuck off you greedy c*nts

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #11 on: November 3, 2018, 08:13:10 am »
As Klopp said, there's no space for more fucking competitions in football. The league, cup games, QF games, EC, WC, now this League of Nations, friendly games. Players and managers, barely can catch a break. Sadly, we'll see more and more players collapsing on the pitch.

Wouldn’t this mean less games. It’s instead of the league not on top of I’d assume.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #12 on: November 3, 2018, 08:16:48 am »
It would take the heart out of supporting Liverpool FC. I'd give football up if this happened.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 3, 2018, 08:18:32 am »
Wouldn’t this mean less games. It’s instead of the league not on top of I’d assume.

Yep. It would mean pulling out of the premier league and joining this. Fucking shit idea. Hope it never, ever happens.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 3, 2018, 08:19:40 am »
Just imagine playing the same teams, year in, year out for the next 20 years. :boring
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 3, 2018, 08:22:27 am »
The only thing i'll say about the idea as a whole is it sounds shite.

But on a lighter note - How the fudge did Milan get themselves into this conversation?  :lmao

And imagine the fume you'd have if you were a Spurs fan and this goes through (assuming they finish top 4 again).

The teams have been selected purely on income haven't they?

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 3, 2018, 08:23:41 am »
Yep. It would mean pulling out of the premier league and joining this. Fucking shit idea. Hope it never, ever happens.

The article says it would replace the Champions League, not domestic leagues.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 3, 2018, 08:24:19 am »
Sounds shite

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 3, 2018, 08:25:42 am »

But on a lighter note - How the fudge did Milan get themselves into this conversation?  :lmao

And imagine the fume you'd have if you were a Spurs fan and this goes through (assuming they finish top 4 again).

The size and history of the club. Winning the European Cup 7 times perhaps? AC Milan are giants of European football.

I mean If you're going to question them being in, surely they could turn around and say what the hell are we doing in there? One trophy in 11 years. Not won the league since 1990.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 3, 2018, 08:26:15 am »

Income and potential size of TV audience. We’re a far bigger draw globally.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 3, 2018, 08:30:47 am »
The article says it would replace the Champions League, not domestic leagues.

Say's here both could happen.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-secret-european-league-talks-15367102

"Should a breakaway league happen, it would bring an end to the current format of the Champions League, while each of the clubs could potentially leave their own domestic leagues in order to form their very own Super League."

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 3, 2018, 08:41:12 am »

Seriously? They're the second most successful team in European history.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 3, 2018, 08:45:23 am »
Seriously? They're the second most successful team in European history.

Whereas Tottenham beat Inter and Real Madrid once so who's the real European heavyweight?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 3, 2018, 08:45:34 am »
Say's here both could happen.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-secret-european-league-talks-15367102

"Should a breakaway league happen, it would bring an end to the current format of the Champions League, while each of the clubs could potentially leave their own domestic leagues in order to form their very own Super League."

That would be a silly idea. I doubt it’d happen, but the clubs may use it as leverage to get a bigger share of TV money and/or permanent Champions League qualification.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 3, 2018, 08:46:11 am »
So they'll replace Everton away with say, Barcelona away? That might work for the TV audience but a pain for travelling fans. But I guess they'd prefer an away trip to Camp Nou rather than Woodison though!
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 3, 2018, 08:46:11 am »
What a load of shite. A league competition where you can’t get relegated for 20 years? :lmao Playing the same teams every year? No thanks.

Exactly this. WTF.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #26 on: November 3, 2018, 08:47:04 am »
The big question of course is, will Celtic and Rangers be invited in?

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 3, 2018, 08:50:53 am »
That would be a silly idea. I doubt it’d happen, but the clubs may use it as leverage to get a bigger share of TV money and/or permanent Champions League qualification.

Let's be honest mate... The whole thing seems a really bad idea doesn't it? Stinks of outright greed. Let hope it never comes to pass.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 3, 2018, 08:51:51 am »
I’ll stop with football altogether if this ever happens. What a load of shite
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #29 on: November 3, 2018, 08:52:06 am »
They've been talking about this since about 1995  ::)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 3, 2018, 08:53:17 am »
They've been talking about this since about 1995  ::)

There is something about that year that makes me smile. :D

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 3, 2018, 08:53:19 am »
Uefa will cave and give more guranteed places to the top leagues. Was obvious something was up when they announced plans for their third european competition.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #32 on: November 3, 2018, 08:54:29 am »
I don’t mind the idea to be honest. It would give more opportunity for many teams and many leagues to be competitive and stop the whole aim of the league season for many teams is getting into Europe.

If you take Bayern from the Bundesliga, PSG from Ligue 1, Juventus from Serie A etc. Those leagues become more competitive and more marketable. Which will help the smaller teams earn money not less.

As for who we’d get to play, why would you not want us challenging the best sides in the world week in week out.

The terrible side of the idea is no relegation, as that makes for a sterile top league. Whereas if you could have teams striving to stay in the top flight and more importantly other  teams competing to get in, it gives those sides something more to aim for. All of a sudden Burnley, Bournemouth and even Barnsley have the chance to compete at the top of English football to earn the right to play against the giants of the game.

It is how the game is anyway. This is just a natural step to bring more competition to the game. Hopefully with less games so we can see full throttle games week in week out.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 3, 2018, 08:54:43 am »
No thanks. Whenever I hear shit like this I always think of the match going fan and how it would all be organised, it just shows that any owner that is up for this doesn't give a shit about the history of the club or the fans that go to watch. Let's be honest this shows what our owners ultimately think of us.

I'd be done, I'd go and watch marine or some shit

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 3, 2018, 08:55:44 am »
Hope it dies a quick, sudden death if it were to happen. I'd just concentrate on a local non-league team and fuck us off if this happened, just no to all this shit.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 3, 2018, 08:57:27 am »

Sorry if Ive missed something but how do you come to this conclusion?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 3, 2018, 09:07:04 am »
yup the super league is a fundamentally flawed idea but feasible enough to use as a stick to beat up uefa, plus isn’t 2021 when the next round of CL negotiations are for things like TV money/competition structure?

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 3, 2018, 09:07:26 am »
this is the worst idea ever,  it will kill it for me.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #38 on: November 3, 2018, 09:10:18 am »
I don’t mind the idea to be honest. It would give more opportunity for many teams and many leagues to be competitive and stop the whole aim of the league season for many teams is getting into Europe.

If you take Bayern from the Bundesliga, PSG from Ligue 1, Juventus from Serie A etc. Those leagues become more competitive and more marketable. Which will help the smaller teams earn money not less.

As for who we’d get to play, why would you not want us challenging the best sides in the world week in week out.

The terrible side of the idea is no relegation, as that makes for a sterile top league. Whereas if you could have teams striving to stay in the top flight and more importantly other  teams competing to get in, it gives those sides something more to aim for. All of a sudden Burnley, Bournemouth and even Barnsley have the chance to compete at the top of English football to earn the right to play against the giants of the game.

It is how the game is anyway. This is just a natural step to bring more competition to the game. Hopefully with less games so we can see full throttle games week in week out.

:o

So essentially we'd be turning the CL into just a 'Great or rich teams league' and still having qualification so you'll end up with the likes of Bournemouth, Schalke, Getafe etc occasionally getting in and embarrassing themselves.

Its an appalling idea and it was an appalling idea way back when they first started talking about it and people thought it was a serious option (which it never has been)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 3, 2018, 09:12:38 am »

Because it would get fucking boring.

And what about the poor fans? Have you not thought about how much it would cost them to travel to all these away games. Trying to book time off work etc...It just wouldn't be feasible for them.

If you want to whack off about playing Europes elite week in, week out. By FIFA and play online with your mates