Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12263854 times)

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #84400 on: September 17, 2015, 10:18:28 am »
Lallana has done it in the league already. Preferring Teix to Lallana is classic backup Quarterback syndrome. I thought Teixeira at Brighton was interesting last season, but he has never made a strong enough impression in U21s to stake a claim in our team. For a front 6 position, you need to obviously be a class above everyone else at U21.

That's exactly what he done, he's been a level above that level for a couple years now.

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
« Reply #84401 on: September 17, 2015, 10:51:34 am »
Thing about Tex which frustrates me is, he's done everything asked of him.
He's obviously worked so hard. He's overcome what would appear to have been a pretty serious back problem when he first came here.
He's gone on loan to Brentford, had a hard time of it for whatever reason, come back, given his all for the U21s again.
Then he's gone on loan to Brighton and in my opinion really grown up, playing with men and not looking out of place at all, showing strength, maturity, decision-making, really developed as a player. Then he's got a bad injury curtailing his season, worked his socks off to get back for preseason. His reward for all of that? Completely shut out this season.
Why didn't Brendan get him out on loan-with-a-view-to-buy, like Ilori, if he didn't want him? Is it because he's scared that if Tex went somewhere
like Aston Villa, he might actually be quite good and make Brendan look silly? Or is he saving him for the League Cup?
I know there will be those who say he's not good enough, which is why he hasn't been given a chance, but I think he's a class act, and most impressively, he's grown up from when he first arrived and now looks a proper senior player.
Two years ago watching him, I didn't think he had the game intelligence to play for our first team, but I think he's developed it, which is great credit to him, and what makes it so disappointing.
Anyway, for me it's now got to the stage where for his own sake I hope he gets a good move, as he obviously isn't going to get a chance here, and I'll look forward with interest to see how he gets on in the coming years.

EDIT: Answering my own ponderings, I reckon something must have happened, like he's refused to sign a new contract until he sees if he's going to get a chance, and consequently he's been frozen out, or something like that. Look at Wisdom - signed a new contract and went out on loan to Norwich.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:58:32 am by so pumblechookian »
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84402 on: September 17, 2015, 11:30:09 am »
Teixeria's probably just not all thay good y'know.

He's going on 23 and has never played a game at a higher level than the Championship, save for about 10mins vs Fulham that's perhaps an indication of his 'level'.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84403 on: September 17, 2015, 11:31:21 am »
Brannagan and Sinclair have been added to UEL List B (along with Ibe and Rossiter).

And today its showing that Fulton, Cleary, Chirivella, Phillips and Randall have also been added, though they're not all going to get on the bench let alone on the pitch.   

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84404 on: September 17, 2015, 02:03:19 pm »

He's going on 23 and has never played a game at a higher level than the Championship, save for about 10mins vs Fulham that's perhaps an indication of his 'level'.

Possibly true.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84405 on: September 17, 2015, 04:04:04 pm »
@bagpuss, if you are reading this, could you tell us your views on Teixeira and his development? I think you mentioned earlier in the thread that you looked at him closely and Tex was incredible when he was on his game and not so much at other times.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84406 on: September 17, 2015, 04:04:51 pm »

Why keep him another year then?

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84407 on: September 17, 2015, 07:56:04 pm »
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Chirivella too did himself proud and Brannagan finally got on the pitch.

Great night for these lads, I'm sure we'll see them again vs Carlisle.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84408 on: September 17, 2015, 07:57:01 pm »
Good day for the academy. Thought Rossiter/Pedro did well considering their level of experience compared to Bordeaux's midfield.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #84409 on: September 17, 2015, 08:22:38 pm »
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

I'll be adding that to my signature......

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84410 on: September 17, 2015, 08:33:58 pm »

;D

I think he won't be far off to be honest and that's nothing to do with Lucas's ability, it's more to do with Rodgers's apparent dislike of defensive midfielders like Lucas. I personally would play Lucas far more than I think he will play but that's a discussion for another thread.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84411 on: September 17, 2015, 08:37:00 pm »
Think it's more that Rodgers clearly rates Rossiter. Hopefully he does play a good amount this season.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84412 on: September 17, 2015, 08:42:02 pm »
Think it's more that Rodgers clearly rates Rossiter. Hopefully he does play a good amount this season.

That too. A combination of what I said and what you've said there.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84413 on: September 17, 2015, 09:38:42 pm »

Feel free, he's only 1 game behind  ;)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84414 on: September 17, 2015, 09:54:29 pm »

bit weird..

but rossiter showed himself a much more solid holding mid than can has on the few occasions he's played deepest, so i agree (hopefully) that rossiter will get a good amount of games. can really struggles to concentrate even when the games unfolding in front of him, so putting him in a position when he's got to be aware of what's unfolding behind him is an accident waiting to happen. at 18, rossiter looks far more composed and disciplined there

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
« Reply #84415 on: September 17, 2015, 10:20:23 pm »
Fair fucking play to Chirivella. Was worried for him that this came way too soon, but don't think he looked like a liability out there at all.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #84416 on: September 17, 2015, 10:23:23 pm »
Two good feet, and already reads the game exceptionally well for his age. Really hope this is Rossiter's breakthrough season.

Same goes for Brannagan as well who worked his socks off when he came on but wasn't really able to dictate the game, although hopefully he'll get another chance soon to show that.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #84417 on: September 18, 2015, 02:46:16 am »

As he should.
Justice For The 96

Offline kevin87

• Kopite
« Reply #84418 on: September 18, 2015, 03:45:15 am »
Fair fucking play to Chirivella. Was worried for him that this came way too soon, but don't think he looked like a liability out there at all.

I was surprised too, what i really liked about him was the ability to turn with the ball. Its a really important skill for a player in that position as it is the truest action of a "pivot" midfielder in that deeper role. Great stuff from both him ad Rossiter.

Offline MrBoywunder

• Kopite
  • They say our days are numbered...
« Reply #84419 on: September 18, 2015, 04:06:04 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2d7GN3k4p3Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2d7GN3k4p3Q</a>

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84420 on: September 18, 2015, 09:44:04 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2d7GN3k4p3Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2d7GN3k4p3Q</a>

Most impressive thing about this performance is that its the same one we've seen so many times at U21 and U18 level. He hasnt needed to adapt, he hasnt struggled to play his game or excel in the things hes good at even at this level.

Next step for him will be to do it more regularly against increasingly difficult opposition.

I dont think he'll be looking back from this, there was that point after Sterling had made one or two genuine impressions on the first team and you knew that he wouldnt be taking a backwards step from there, this feels the same.

Given our absolute dearth of quality in that deepest midfield role, he'll get continued opportunities simply through a lack of viable alternatives. I mean, who's going to keep him out? Joe Allen who can't stay fit and can't *really* do that job anyway? Lucas who can't run, can't play more than one game a week, and has hardly covered himself in glory in the past 2 games? Or Can who's clearly more of a box to box type midfielder (if you can call him a midfielder at all)?

Honestly I can't wait until Rossiter is a fixture in the team, we need to be picking up a lot of what he's putting down.

Thankfully I dont think we'll be waiting too long.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84421 on: September 18, 2015, 09:46:10 am »
Missed the game but boss to hear three of the youngsters got on.  Feel like Rossiter will be graduating this thread soon.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84422 on: September 18, 2015, 10:36:32 am »
One thing I thought Rossiter did as well as Lucas does, was to commit a whole series of fouls without getting a booking!

Well done to all the youngsters involved.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84423 on: September 18, 2015, 11:16:50 am »
When Rossiter gets physcally stronger will be an excellent CM/DM for us.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #84424 on: September 18, 2015, 11:19:12 am »
When Rossiter gets physcally stronger will be an excellent CM/DM for us.

We've got the shortest midfield in the world...

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #84425 on: September 18, 2015, 11:23:50 am »
Rossiter went barmy when Lallana scored too. Was great to see.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84426 on: September 18, 2015, 11:57:19 am »
Rossiter's complete lack of pace is a worry though. But he has the other atributes needed.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #84427 on: September 18, 2015, 12:33:42 pm »
Rossiter's complete lack of pace is a worry though. But he has the other atributes needed.

Really not an issue for a holding player.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline El_Pelusa_10

• Kopite
  • Diego Armando Maradona-Greatest Player Of All Time
« Reply #84428 on: September 18, 2015, 12:40:18 pm »
Really impressed with Chirivella - looks good on the ball

Struggled with the physical side but that's to be expected given his age. Future looks bright with him!

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84429 on: September 18, 2015, 01:04:28 pm »
Delighted for Rossiter, Chirivella and Branagan.  That Chirivella got on at all, and so early in the game was of course due to having no senior (no offence to Cleary) CB on the bench but after a bit he got into it. 

Reading the LFC website and Critchley talking about the U18 mini mini derby v Everton this weekend, and again mentioning that Bobby Adekayne is still waiting international clearance, makes me wonder what has happened to Brooks Lennon.  Does anyone know for sure if we really did finally buy him in the summer, how old he is (17?) and how long we might have to wait (assuming he is ours) until he can play over here?   

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84430 on: September 18, 2015, 01:13:37 pm »

It's the only thing I've thought might hold him back. Tactically he's very good so he can make up for it in most situations. When he plays CM the situations you notice it is when the opposition is on the counter attack and he sometimes struggles to get back.

For his lack of pace though, he doesn't half get about the pitch very well. Really encouraging performance last night.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84431 on: September 18, 2015, 01:48:40 pm »
Rossiter really reminds me of Verratti, which is exciting to say the least.
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #84432 on: September 18, 2015, 02:01:16 pm »

Given our absolute dearth of quality in that deepest midfield role, he'll get continued opportunities simply through a lack of viable alternatives. I mean, who's going to keep him out? Joe Allen who can't stay fit and can't *really* do that job anyway? Lucas who can't run, can't play more than one game a week, and has hardly covered himself in glory in the past 2 games? Or Can who's clearly more of a box to box type midfielder (if you can call him a midfielder at all)?

Honestly I can't wait until Rossiter is a fixture in the team, we need to be picking up a lot of what he's putting down.

Thankfully I dont think we'll be waiting too long.

I'd give good real money that Lucas is quicker at running than Rossiter.............but yeah,  Lucas can't run.  You make up so much shite it's unbelievable,  and your insistance on slagging off good loyal and able players to champion your latest young fetish is embarrassing. 

I hope Rossiter does well,  I like him,  and although I think Chirivella will be better,   I don't feel the need to slag off senior players to make my point over and over.  You did of course take exactly this course of dialogue over Coady so I suppose it's up to your usual high level judgement on young players..

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline MrBoywunder

• Kopite
  • They say our days are numbered...
« Reply #84433 on: September 18, 2015, 02:15:24 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OLdpff7tHFo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OLdpff7tHFo</a>

Very impressive performances from both Rossiter and Chirivella.

They'll no doubt improve and get stronger physically so it's very exciting to have them in our squad.

Only thing I'm not keen on is Rossiter playing with his shirt tucked in, makes him look smaller than he is haha.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84434 on: September 18, 2015, 02:16:49 pm »

For his lack of pace though, he doesn't half get about the pitch very well.

Much like Hyypia his positional sense more than makes up for any lack of pace

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84435 on: September 18, 2015, 02:47:12 pm »
We've got the slowest midfield in the world. We've got Jordan Rossiter, Lucas Leiva, Allen and Pedro-o-o.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #84436 on: September 18, 2015, 02:49:23 pm »
Though Chirivella looked really slow just after he came on.  There was a Bordeaux player who was running diagonally into our box and Chirivella looked like he was running in treacle, trying to keep pace.  Great on the ball, but I worry that he'll need a bit more bite to his game like Rossiter if he's to make it in this league without any standout physical qualities.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84437 on: September 18, 2015, 03:29:26 pm »
I'd give good real money that Lucas is quicker at running than Rossiter.............but yeah,  Lucas can't run.  You make up so much shite it's unbelievable,  and your insistance on slagging off good loyal and able players to champion your latest young fetish is embarrassing. 

I hope Rossiter does well,  I like him,  and although I think Chirivella will be better,   I don't feel the need to slag off senior players to make my point over and over.  You did of course take exactly this course of dialogue over Coady so I suppose it's up to your usual high level judgement on young players..

Coady, also better than the ghost of Lucas Leiva.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84438 on: September 18, 2015, 03:41:21 pm »
Rossiter really reminds me of Verratti, which is exciting to say the least.
Short stature and shaved head?

I didn't think Rossiter had much of a problem with the pace of the game other than it being senior level vs u21s which you kind of expect when players first step up.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:43:50 pm by Chris~ »

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #84439 on: September 18, 2015, 03:44:58 pm »
We've got the slowest midfield in the world. We've got Jordan Rossiter, Lucas Leiva, Allen and Pedro-o-o.

Yup all very one paced which is a concern.