Author Topic: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion  (Read 1045242 times)

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
Re: Game of Thrones - The TV Show; Spoilers are Coming
« Reply #9920 on: August 1, 2017, 10:29:45 am »
Have you been paying attention to the last few seasons? There's a reason why this show is marching on and the books are snowed in by the Winds of Winter.

This is a massive, flawed show. But there are lots of things to enjoy about it. The set pieces. The outrageously talented cast. Some genuinely sharp scenes here and there. The sheer spectacle of the thing.

I think you're probably barking up the wrong tree if you thought this was ever going to be a completely faithful adaptation of the books, particularly when the showrunners ran out of material to go with. That's generally a risky expectation with any adaptation, really. But this show went off on its own tangent years ago.

I did not expect it to follow the books. In fact I appreciated that the show offered emotional fanservice that the books were unlikely to provide (stark reunions for a start).

But I at least expected the show to portray a story consistent with the rules set forth within itself. As well as to follow not particularly onerous logical threads.

None of my complaints are about deviation from the source material. They're about events that are stupid and infeasible.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9921 on: August 1, 2017, 10:42:20 am »
Oh wow... so many complaints about the show not keeping up with its internal logic. This is exactly what I've been banging on about for so long that Lastrador now hates it! ;D

I think D&D have been indulging in rampant fan service since they went past the books at the cost of the internal logic of the world they portrayed in the first four seasons. It is still the only tv I watch and that's mostly because the underlying story is just so damn good, but so many pivotal concepts that were introduced in the first few seasons have been totally cast aside. Now more than ever, viewers have begun to start noticing it in a way that book readers have for a while.

On the issue of feminism in GOT, I thought this was an interesting read.
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/07/game-of-thrones-season-7-feminism/535110/

I do agree with the assessment that the writers are trying to make the show appeal to viewers of today by inserting today's moral values into that society, but this is one of the issues I have had with it because GOT's world has its own version of feminism that befits the society it is set in. Goes back to the point I was making about fan appeasement.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9922 on: August 1, 2017, 11:43:14 am »
Also...

Spoiler
So Jon Snow was able to reach Dragonstone castle by boat all the way in the South quicker than Bran could be brought back to Winterfell? Err...
[close]

The winds were kind

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9923 on: August 1, 2017, 11:48:34 am »
Also...

Spoiler
So Jon Snow was able to reach Dragonstone castle by boat all the way in the South quicker than Bran could be brought back to Winterfell? Err...
[close]
Spoiler
The scenes that episodes are made up of do not necessarily happen at the same time. Again, at this point in the narrative it would be pointless to show Jon Snow travelling to Dragonstone. Just because the scene with Bran occurs later in the episode does not mean he arrived there after Jon reached the South.
[close]

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #9924 on: August 1, 2017, 12:11:05 pm »
Spoiler
The scenes that episodes are made up of do not necessarily happen at the same time. Again, at this point in the narrative it would be pointless to show Jon Snow travelling to Dragonstone. Just because the scene with Bran occurs later in the episode does not mean he arrived there after Jon reached the South.
[close]

Spoiler
Maybe so but that's not how it unfolded given the Sansa taking control scenes etc.
[close]
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9925 on: August 1, 2017, 12:33:29 pm »
Spoiler
Maybe so but that's not how it unfolded given the Sansa taking control scenes etc.
[close]
There's no way to tell that Sansa walking around Winterfell is a day or a week or a month after Jon has left. I think people are trying to look for inconsistencies in how the narrative handles travelling times, when in actual fact the writers have correctly made the decision that the show is more enjoyable if things are presented in a non-linear way.

It's necessary to stretch narrative time in some places and condense it in others. Cersei and Jaime were shown in Kings Landing in the very first episode of Season 1. In their next scene in the same episode, they were at Winterfell.

I love the show but I can accept it's flaws. Criticisms of the acting, dialogue or cameos is fine. I just think that some are guilty of trying to find any little weakness they can and are applying the wrong kind of logic to the narrative cycle.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #9926 on: August 1, 2017, 12:56:17 pm »
I love the show but I can accept it's flaws. Criticisms of the acting, dialogue or cameos is fine. I just think that some are guilty of trying to find any little weakness they can and are applying the wrong kind of logic to the narrative cycle.

And on the other hand, some can't accept any criticism of the show at all.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9927 on: August 1, 2017, 01:15:23 pm »
And on the other hand, some can't accept any criticism of the show at all.
Yep, I'm sure there's plenty of those as well.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9928 on: August 1, 2017, 01:20:45 pm »

Couldn't agree with more with this. Ultimately it'll be their loss, getting bogged down and annoyed over largely trivial matters, which will spoil their appreciation for arguably the greatest show on tv.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2017, 01:22:48 pm by DangerScouse »

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9929 on: August 1, 2017, 02:02:42 pm »
If I was Dany I would done 'shock and awe' and rolled into kings landing. From looking unbeatable I now cant see a way Dany wins.

Loving the episodes as ridiculous as they are. When GOT finishes I hope this gives studios greenlight to adapt other books of its ilk

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9930 on: August 1, 2017, 02:43:52 pm »
If I was Dany I would done 'shock and awe' and rolled into kings landing. From looking unbeatable I now cant see a way Dany wins.

Loving the episodes as ridiculous as they are. When GOT finishes I hope this gives studios greenlight to adapt other books of its ilk

The writers are cheating here.  That is the whole point.  She looks unbeatable... we make her look dead to rights... she turns to the dragons and decimates the enemy.  She literally has history to look back on, and she still messed it up.  Her ancestor came over with three dragons, forced lords to bend the knee until no lords remained and voila a Targaryen dynasty for centuries. 

The people supposedly loved Aegon as well so I am not sure about the whole making enemies of the small folk.  Win power first, take care of the common folk second.  We all know how fickle they are. 

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9931 on: August 1, 2017, 02:52:58 pm »
The writers are cheating here.  That is the whole point.  She looks unbeatable... we make her look dead to rights... she turns to the dragons and decimates the enemy.  She literally has history to look back on, and she still messed it up.  Her ancestor came over with three dragons, forced lords to bend the knee until no lords remained and voila a Targaryen dynasty for centuries. 

The people supposedly loved Aegon as well so I am not sure about the whole making enemies of the small folk.  Win power first, take care of the common folk second.  We all know how fickle they are.
Yeah I think this is more or less how it will play out. Victories in Game of Thrones are usually won at great expense. I expect Daenerys will come out on top, but in doing so she will also lose a lot on the way.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9932 on: August 1, 2017, 02:58:00 pm »

I think her fathers reputation is heavily influencing her approach. The people in Westeros don't know her, all they know is that she's the daughter of the king who lost his mind and burned people alive because he felt like it. She seems worried that if she rocks up to the capital on the back of a dragon and burns the place down she'll be building her empire on fear, not love.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9933 on: August 1, 2017, 03:11:47 pm »

She doesn't have the control over the dragons that Aegon had though, which is why they aren't using them at the moment

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #9934 on: August 1, 2017, 03:25:54 pm »
Spoiler

Jon getting to Dragonstone faster than Bran to Winterfell wasn't nearly as problematic to me as Sam finding Jorah in E1, curing him in E2 and then Jorah being up and about in E3, as that felt like it covered days, and during that time Euron was up and down the coast. But I don't think it can be helped, so accept it for what it is.
[close]

This is a pretty fair article on how the show has changed since it started, teleporting included. I don't agree with all of it, but there are some decent points.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/07/31/game-of-thrones-5-ways-the-show-has-changed-for-the-worse/#4c80e51d7ba3
« Last Edit: August 1, 2017, 03:44:47 pm by diarrhea »
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9935 on: August 1, 2017, 03:38:03 pm »
Spoiler

Jon getting to Dragonstone faster than Bran to Winterfell wasn't nearly as problematic to me as Sam finding Jorah in E1, curing him in E2 and then Jorah being up and about in E3, as that felt like it covered days, and during that time Euron was up and down the coast. But I don't think it can be helped, so accept it for what it is.
[close]

This is a pretty fair article on how the show has changed since it started, teleporting included. I don't agree with all of it, but there are some decent points.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...-show-has-changed-for-the-worse/#5d49c44d7ba3

Getting a "can't find the page" notice.

Offline JHova2427

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9936 on: August 1, 2017, 03:40:33 pm »
I think her fathers reputation is heavily influencing her approach. The people in Westeros don't know her, all they know is that she's the daughter of the king who lost his mind and burned people alive because he felt like it. She seems worried that if she rocks up to the capital on the back of a dragon and burns the place down she'll be building her empire on fear, not love.

So?  Give the common people a couple loaves of bread and protection, and they will shrug and keep going.  As long as you can easily quell your foes it doesn't really matter.  Win favor later.
She doesn't have the control over the dragons that Aegon had though, which is why they aren't using them at the moment

Fair point there.  Another failure on her part allowing them to be chained up rather than training and forming a better connection with them. 

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9938 on: August 1, 2017, 04:01:57 pm »
So?  Give the common people a couple loaves of bread and protection, and they will shrug and keep going.  As long as you can easily quell your foes it doesn't really matter.  Win favor later.
Fair point there.  Another failure on her part allowing them to be chained up rather than training and forming a better connection with them.

Imagine if she could control them. Instead of sweeping into Kings Landing breathing fire, she drops crates of food and supplies. Common problem won over instantly  ;D

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9939 on: August 1, 2017, 04:04:58 pm »

I'm not saying she's right, just that I think it's heavily affecting her judgement.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9940 on: August 1, 2017, 04:16:41 pm »
I read a spoiler mistakenly somewhere (cant remember where) which basically chronicled what happens over the course of this season, and its annoyingly accurate so far.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9941 on: August 1, 2017, 04:19:56 pm »
I read a spoiler mistakenly somewhere (cant remember where) which basically chronicled what happens over the course of this season, and its annoyingly accurate so far.

How do you make the mistake of reading spoilers for an entire season?

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #9942 on: August 1, 2017, 04:26:08 pm »
Not sure if this is a spoiler or not but....

Spoiler
Cracking norks!
[close]

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #9943 on: August 1, 2017, 04:32:18 pm »
Probably the best episode so far for s07.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline MattyBoy21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9944 on: August 1, 2017, 04:45:15 pm »
Loved the episode, just one thought...

Spoiler
The commoners spitting on and throwing things at Ellaria Sand when Euron was walking her through the streets were the same commoners throwing things and spitting on Cersei during her walk of atonement. Why all of a sudden do they hate anyone who has wronged Cersei and laud Euron, her ally?

Would like to see more from the Hound, Bronn, Tormund & the army of the dead eventually too. Although I know it's difficult to check in on characters like that at the moment when there is so much to fit in to such a short space of time.

Anyway, interested to see where Jaime goes in the remaining 4 episodes. Seems only a matter of time before he kills Euron and/or Cersei in my opinion.

[close]

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9945 on: August 1, 2017, 04:54:33 pm »
Loved the episode, just one thought...

Spoiler
The commoners spitting on and throwing things at Ellaria Sand when Euron was walking her through the streets were the same commoners throwing things and spitting on Cersei during her walk of atonement. Why all of a sudden do they hate anyone who has wronged Cersei and laud Euron, her ally?

Would like to see more from the Hound, Bronn, Tormund & the army of the dead eventually too. Although I know it's difficult to check in on characters like that at the moment when there is so much to fit in to such a short space of time.

Anyway, interested to see where Jaime goes in the remaining 4 episodes. Seems only a matter of time before he kills Euron and/or Cersei in my opinion.

[close]
Spoiler
The commoners are sheep.

One thing about that parade, when Euron talks about Theon, he says "what a twat!" and sounds exactly like David Brent.
[close]

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9946 on: August 1, 2017, 04:55:01 pm »
Couldn't agree with more with this. Ultimately it'll be their loss, getting bogged down and annoyed over largely trivial matters, which will spoil their appreciation for arguably the greatest show on tv.

It was my loss when Rome got cancelled. Would rather have had the proper 4 full seasons of that than GoT.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9947 on: August 1, 2017, 05:11:29 pm »
How do you make the mistake of reading spoilers for an entire season?

It was just a paragraphs worth, cant for the life of me remember where I saw it but it pretty much nailed what Jon Snow is gonna be doing this season.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #9948 on: August 1, 2017, 05:59:52 pm »
I'm not saying she's right, just that I think it's heavily affecting her judgement.

Not having a proper general is what's affecting everyone's judgement. Any general worth his salt would put the infantry (Unsullied, Dornish army and whatever Highgarden can muster) in the middle and flank it with the cavalry (Dothraki horsemen) and keep the forces together. Pick out the main host of Lannister army first, then lay siege to the capital. But nope, these are bumbling fools pretending to be fighting a war rather than actually fighting one. And where are the spies keeping an eye on the movement of enemy forces, you have a dragon, ride the damn thing and have eyes from above. And why didn't Olenna Tyrell summon Tarly and order him to get in line before the Lannisters got to him? Ah fuck it... I suppose the show needs people turn in to idiots for plot purposes rather than actual character development like before.

Offline JHova2427

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9949 on: August 1, 2017, 06:05:48 pm »
Not having a proper general is what's affecting everyone's judgement. Any general worth his salt would put the infantry (Unsullied, Dornish army and whatever Highgarden can muster) in the middle and flank it with the cavalry (Dothraki horsemen) and keep the forces together. Pick out the main host of Lannister army first, then lay siege to the capital. But nope, these are bumbling fools pretending to be fighting a war rather than actually fighting one. And where are the spies keeping an eye on the movement of enemy forces, you have a dragon, ride the damn thing and have eyes from above. And why didn't Olenna Tyrell summon Tarly and order him to get in line before the Lannisters got to him? Ah fuck it... I suppose the show needs people turn in to idiots for plot purposes rather than actual character development like before.

Why didn't Olenna just close the doors with all the Tyrell's amazing grain and just sit around for a couple months?

Offline jammy dodger

• going to make your vagina cry
  • Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #9950 on: August 1, 2017, 06:11:30 pm »
Predictions:

Sansa will kill Littlefinger, but only after marrying him to gain The Vale
Jaime will kill Cersei because she refuses to yield while her people die, and he'll probably do it mid-coitus
Tyrion will doublecross Team Daenerys
Daenerys will be the main villain by the end

"Anything can happen. Danny Ings can happen" - Ellie Goulding

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #9951 on: August 1, 2017, 06:25:36 pm »
With the appearance in the last episode, it's surely the case that
Spoiler
Jon Snow cannot any longer claim to be king of the north now that Ned Starks true son has turned up.
To be fair, he spent two seasons sitting under a fucking tree, so his pissed about a bit.
[close]
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #9952 on: August 1, 2017, 06:26:01 pm »
It was my loss when Rome got cancelled. Would rather have had the proper 4 full seasons of that than GoT.
That's the daftest thing I've read on here... and there's been some pretty daft stuff said.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9953 on: August 1, 2017, 06:27:19 pm »
With the appearance in the last episode, it's surely the case that
Spoiler
Jon Snow cannot any longer claim to be king of the north now that Ned Starks true son has turned up.
To be fair, he spent two seasons sitting under a fucking tree, so his pissed about a bit.
[close]
Spoiler
Well Sansa did say he was the rightful heir, and he essentially renounced it.
[close]

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #9954 on: August 1, 2017, 06:29:39 pm »
Jesus Christ. The bitching and moaning. You're all daft as brushes.

Know what I do with a shit show? I jib it in. Not able to suspend disbelief? Knock it on the head. I dare ya. I double-dare ya.
No. Didn't think so.

Meanwhile. Lovin this show.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9955 on: August 1, 2017, 06:44:06 pm »
Predictions:

Sansa will kill Littlefinger, but only after marrying him to gain The Vale
Jaime will kill Cersei because she refuses to yield while her people die, and he'll probably do it mid-coitus
Tyrion will doublecross Team Daenerys
Daenerys will be the main villain by the end

Jamie will stab Cersei in the back after she tries to burn kings landing with wildfire to stop Daenerys army

Daenerys will end up winning but not helping Jon Snow because he won't bend the knee - end up getting ousted by Varys for it

Bran is going to control a dragon (maybe the last living one) to help defeat the white walkers

Sansa will end up in some position of power - this whole season is to show her political development. Obvious one is Queen of the North, but if everyone with claim dies the people of Westeros may be able to tweak her to the iron throne (through being Joffrey or Tyrion's wife or something - when no one else is around you have to make someone ruler from any tenuous link)

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #9956 on: August 1, 2017, 07:26:36 pm »
Can't believe so many people are getting so caught up on timing issues, chronological issues.

Some people are far too cynical.. At the end of it all, it's a great tv show. Enjoy it for what it is.

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #9957 on: August 1, 2017, 08:48:40 pm »
I wonder if Jon Snow will end up in bed with Danerys. I've got a feeling it's gonna happen.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9958 on: August 1, 2017, 08:56:02 pm »
Ha ha - it's so true. I've fucked off loads of stuff, even after multiple seasons when it went to shit in some cases. If you don't like GOT we are in a very literal golden age of TV right now, spend time on soemthing else.
Couldn't agree more. There's enough great shows that you could probably even find one in the same genre as GOT.

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9959 on: August 1, 2017, 09:15:51 pm »
Jesus Christ. The bitching and moaning. You're all daft as brushes.

Know what I do with a shit show? I jib it in. Not able to suspend disbelief? Knock it on the head. I dare ya. I double-dare ya.
No. Didn't think so.

Jumped ship round about season 4. Rather inclined to do it again.

Actually started watching again just to get my fix because the sixth book is so long in the coming, but the show logic is so patchy it's absurd. If you're able to temporarily lobotomise yourself for every episode then I congratulate you.