539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1440305 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit Magic Flying Rainbow coloured Unicorn jolly tip-top-ho! Gosh! Thread.
« Reply #24600 on: August 19, 2019, 04:39:06 pm »

Have you ever seen the Venezuelan Govs moped gangs in action ?
last year Nicky Maduro killed over 5k people, more than Pinochet did in his tenure, guess which one gets shit off jezza?

https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=24788&LangID=E

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_violations_in_Pinochet%27s_Chile

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit Magic Flying Rainbow coloured Unicorn jolly tip-top-ho! Gosh! Thread.
« Reply #24601 on: August 19, 2019, 04:41:28 pm »
No, perhaps you can enlighten me. 
There's more to democracy than holding an occasional dubious election.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/americas/venezuela/report-venezuela/
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24602 on: August 19, 2019, 04:48:08 pm »
No, perhaps you can enlighten me.

Look it up.

They have hundreds of police thugs on motorbikes that are literally nothing more than snatch squads.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #24603 on: August 19, 2019, 04:51:33 pm »
Article 50.

"1.   Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements."
We've discussed this before, of course, but it's the line about 'in accordance with constitutional requirements' that leads some people to think there's some wriggle room here to declare a No Deal crash out invalid if the government has not followed proper procedure, or has tried to trick us out by filibustering, delaying, proroguing etc.

It might feel a bit desperate, but I'm not sure it has been satisfactorily clarified. The key is with the words 'in accordance with', and how they relate to the rest of the sentence. Does it mean 'A Member State can withdraw from the union if it's constitutional processes mandate it to' or does it mean 'A Member State can only withdraw from the union if everything is done according to it's constitutional processes'?

Either reading is viable and they mean two different things.

If tested in court the semantics would involve some interpretation. On the face of it the line could just be saying that if constitutional processes, such as a referendum or a vote in the House, mandate the state to leave then it can do so. Nothing about processes involved in the act of leaving.

But I imagine lawyers could get tricksy about it and claim that 'in accordance with' means that the A50 process requires strict adherence to constitutional processes otherwise the A50 process ceases to be binding.

I'm not even sure if getting John Kerr in to explain what they intended while drafting the words would make a conclusive difference once it gets to that stage.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24604 on: August 19, 2019, 04:53:02 pm »
There's more to democracy than holding an occasional dubious election.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/americas/venezuela/report-venezuela/

Of course but can you argue that the election was not fair? The turnout may have been low but you can't argue with 68% voting for the president.  What you can argue against is someone declaring themselves president when they didn't even take part (Guaidó).
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24605 on: August 19, 2019, 04:55:50 pm »
Of course but can you argue that the election was not fair? The turnout may have been low but you can't argue with 68% voting for the president.  What you can argue against is someone declaring themselves president when they didn't even take part (Guaidó).

Yes, I believe one can. And with third party evidence.

"In August, four opposition officials who had been elected to public office were arrested and five others had arrest warrants issued against them. These warrants were issued by the Supreme Court in a proceeding that was not enshrined in law. A total of 11 officials elected by popular vote were removed from office in irregular proceedings."

Does that sound like things are fair in the way Venezuela is governed?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24606 on: August 19, 2019, 04:56:31 pm »

It is a dictatorship that masquerades as a Democracy.

to be honest Mark,it's pretty obvious that you don't know a great deal about Venezuelan politics or the hardships that the ordinary citizen faces day in day out.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24607 on: August 19, 2019, 05:01:37 pm »
An interesting and somewhat depressing piece, not primarily about Brexit.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/08/why-liberals-now-believe-conspiracies

Thanks very much for this. Lots to think about in there.

Also reminded me of the word meliorism, which I've been trying to remember to attack unconscious biases in favour of VAR (because I'm sad like that)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #24608 on: August 19, 2019, 05:02:12 pm »
However, it has been established in the European Court that the UK can unilaterally revoke Article 50. And since Withdrawal is a process (not just a single point in time), it would seem logical (to me, at least) that the withdrawal process be made (or is required to be) in accordance with the UK's constitution (such as it is). Or, has it been established that invoking Article 50 is the end of the constitutional requirements as far as Article 50 is concerned?

As for the second part: you long ago convinced me that rejoining will be technically very difficult. And, I think, politically impossible for a generation.

The decision process in Article 50 is to trigger it and then to relay that decision to the EU. Once that's done without a hiccup, that's the decision made under constitutional requirements and according to EU law. There's no more votes in Parliament needed to confirm that - "by automatic operation of law" and all that because we've said we're off. Everything else is detail on what mitigations are in place when the day finally arrives. Question would seem to arise more if Parliament legislated to say the PM had to revoke if X hadn't happened, and then the PM refused to follow the law. Which would be a mess and would once have been up there with Martians landing as a possibility.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24609 on: August 19, 2019, 05:04:44 pm »
There was much more to that link than fairness of the election, but yes - lots of people have indeed argued that the election was deeply flawed and unfair.

The point was that a democratic society actually relies on many things other than elections - such as an independent judiciary free from political interference, a free press, the freedom to protest and freedom from arbitrary detention. And many others, all listed on that Amnesty link (and deliberately used an Amnesty link, not a 'MSM' article).
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24610 on: August 19, 2019, 05:20:14 pm »
The decision process in Article 50 is to trigger it and then to relay that decision to the EU. Once that's done without a hiccup, that's the decision made under constitutional requirements and according to EU law. There's no more votes in Parliament needed to confirm that - "by automatic operation of law" and all that because we've said we're off. Everything else is detail on what mitigations are in place when the day finally arrives. Question would seem to arise more if Parliament legislated to say the PM had to revoke if X hadn't happened, and then the PM refused to follow the law. Which would be a mess and would once have been up there with Martians landing as a possibility.
But what if the PM effectively suspends Parliament to prevent a vote? I am not expecting you to be able to answer this. It is just that I suspect that effectively circumventing the opportunity for (and will by) Parliament to prevent Brexit might be interpreted as a failure to adhere to the constitution. And, since the circumvention is transparently to prevent Parliament from leaving the EU, might Brexit be null and void?
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24611 on: August 19, 2019, 05:21:29 pm »
We've discussed this before, of course, but it's the line about 'in accordance with constitutional requirements' that leads some people to think there's some wriggle room here to declare a No Deal crash out invalid if the government has not followed proper procedure, or has tried to trick us out by filibustering, delaying, proroguing etc.

It might feel a bit desperate, but I'm not sure it has been satisfactorily clarified. The key is with the words 'in accordance with', and how they relate to the rest of the sentence. Does it mean 'A Member State can withdraw from the union if it's constitutional processes mandate it to' or does it mean 'A Member State can only withdraw from the union if everything is done according to it's constitutional processes'?

Either reading is viable and they mean two different things.

If tested in court the semantics would involve some interpretation. On the face of it the line could just be saying that if constitutional processes, such as a referendum or a vote in the House, mandate the state to leave then it can do so. Nothing about processes involved in the act of leaving.

But I imagine lawyers could get tricksy about it and claim that 'in accordance with' means that the A50 process requires strict adherence to constitutional processes otherwise the A50 process ceases to be binding.

I'm not even sure if getting John Kerr in to explain what they intended while drafting the words would make a conclusive difference once it gets to that stage.
This.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #24612 on: August 19, 2019, 05:24:57 pm »
But what if the PM effectively suspends Parliament to prevent a vote? I am not expecting you to be able to answer this. It is just that I suspect that effectively circumventing the opportunity for (and will by) Parliament to prevent Brexit might be interpreted as a failure to adhere to the constitution. And, since the circumvention is transparently to prevent Parliament from leaving the EU, might Brexit be null and void?

The decision is made once the EU is notified and the clock, set to 2 years by default, begins. If a couple don't want to get divorced then complaining about it after the decree absolute is done, even if one of them had gone on holiday, is a bit late - they have to get remarried instead.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24613 on: August 19, 2019, 05:26:53 pm »
It is a dictatorship that masquerades as a Democracy.

to be honest Mark,it's pretty obvious that you don't know a great deal about Venezuelan politics or the hardships that the ordinary citizen faces day in day out.

If I said I knew everything about Venezuelan politics I'd be a liar but I appreciate the struggles that ordinary people have on a day-to-day basis.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24614 on: August 19, 2019, 05:28:38 pm »
The decision is made once the EU is notified and the clock, set to 2 years by default, begins. If a couple don't want to get divorced then complaining about it after the decree absolute is done, even if one of them had gone on holiday, is a bit late - they have to get remarried instead.
Well, if we are going to resort to metaphors, what if one half of the couple actively (and illegally) prevents the other from objecting before decree absolute?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24615 on: August 19, 2019, 05:41:36 pm »
If I said I knew everything about Venezuelan politics I'd be a liar but I appreciate the struggles that ordinary people have on a day-to-day basis.

Yeah I got that when you talked about their "democratically" elected despot.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24616 on: August 19, 2019, 05:45:18 pm »
An interesting and somewhat depressing piece, not primarily about Brexit.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/08/why-liberals-now-believe-conspiracies

What a bullshit article!

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24617 on: August 19, 2019, 05:45:47 pm »

Yeah I got that when you talked about their "democratically" elected despot.
He was democratically elected though.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #24618 on: August 19, 2019, 05:59:28 pm »
Well, if we are going to resort to metaphors, what if one half of the couple actively (and illegally) prevents the other from objecting before decree absolute?

Not liking something doesn't make it illegal or we'd not have Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson as PM. :) In any case, the legal default is clear regardless of what charades happen in Westminster. It has been since the Article 50 letter was sent to the EU, and accepted by the EU as beginning the countdown to an automatic exit. Think Jo Maugham is trying to establish the legalities of what Johnson can do to shut Parliament down because of the consequences under British law, but that's a separate issue to whether we'll be out of the EU on 31st October under international law.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24619 on: August 19, 2019, 06:01:23 pm »
He was democratically elected though.
it’s pretty easy when your opponents are under house arrest

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24620 on: August 19, 2019, 06:01:48 pm »
Grim, if true.

Cancer Patient Tells LBC Hospital Fears Running Out Of Chemo Drugs After No-Deal Brexit

This woman being treated for breast cancer told LBC her hospital has told her to bring her passport in so they can prioritise who gets chemotherapy in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

Alison called from Upminster to reveal that what she read in the leaked government report on no-deal Brexit have a very personal aspect for her.

She revealed she is currently receiving chemotherapy, but has been told by Southend and Basildon Hospital that they will need to prioritise who gets the drugs if we leave the EU without an agreement.

Speaking to Maajid Nawaz, she said: "I've just had a call this morning to bring my passport in for prioritisation over the chemo drugs.

"They're being very honest and taking things into consideration.

"It's made me a little bit sad. The hospital said not to panic, but they're just saying they want to manage it.

"We sit there in our chemo chairs and have quite a nice pleasant time as much as it can be. We'll be sat there opposite each other today and tomorrow going who's going to get priority.

"Because I'm young and first time around, potentially they said I won't finish because my chemo is due to finish after Brexit day."

Maajid asked Alison how the leaked Operation Yellowhammer document made her feel when she read about shortages of medicines. She responded: "I did panic. My only hope is the chemo to stop it growing."

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/maajid-nawaz/cancer-patient-hospital-fears-running-out-chemo/

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #24621 on: August 19, 2019, 06:05:34 pm »
Grim, if true.

Cancer Patient Tells LBC Hospital Fears Running Out Of Chemo Drugs After No-Deal Brexit

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/maajid-nawaz/cancer-patient-hospital-fears-running-out-chemo/
It’s a huge issue.

We also belling to Euratom which supplies the radioisotopes used for radio therapy. 

Come the 31st Oct?  We don’t belong anymore.  The source of radio isotopes is then at great risk.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24622 on: August 19, 2019, 06:15:09 pm »
What about citizens who have never and have no intention of getting a passport ?

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #24623 on: August 19, 2019, 06:23:59 pm »
What about citizens who have never and have no intention of getting a passport ?

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24624 on: August 19, 2019, 06:25:35 pm »

A proper liberal democracy does not just involve a majority or plurality of people installing a government. It also involves said government respecting the laws and constitution of the country. If a popularly elected government abolishes all further elections with popular support, is it still a democracy? In the ancient world, tyrannies start as popular movements, with the tyrant moving to suppress all opposition, often still with popular support.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #24625 on: August 19, 2019, 06:27:03 pm »
Those are the true brits who get top top priority.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24626 on: August 19, 2019, 06:33:44 pm »
Wouldn't the legal default need to be changed to 'revoke Article 50 on 31st October' for that to matter? Otherwise there's nothing there which isn't according to our constitutional arrangements as Parliament agreed to start the Article 50 process and everything which follows is a result of that. Whereas the assumption in all of that from Bogdanor and that Labour MP is that everything fails and doesn't matter because it can be quickly fixed after the fact.
But A50 has already been triggered, in 2017, following proper constitutional processes. Now it's just a countdown, absent any extensions.

We had this conversation some days ago, about whether constitutional processes have any effect on the A50 period elapsing and the treaties automatically ceasing to apply. I don't think we have much clarity on it. On the surface it seems like the government can force a crash-out by refusing to do anything further. I suspect the courts would have to rule on this for it to be any different
We do leave on Oct 31st unless our Parliament decides otherwise. am not certain if we could win any legal argument to rule any crash out by default as invalid but it's worth looking into it as we know Johnson tried to stop Parliament passing any legislation.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #24627 on: August 19, 2019, 06:37:10 pm »
Makes perfect sense to try to reverse Brexit after leaving the EU if it can't be done before.

Have you been paying any attention? You can’t just ‘reverse’ it. It’s staggering to imagine any politician could be thick enough to think you just legislate to uninvoke Article 50.

Leaving the EU is like stepping off a skyscraper. Once it’s done, it’s done. You can hope you survive the fall and maybe climb back up despite the self inflicted injuries but you don’t just decide to go back up as you’re plummetting towards the ground.

To rejoin the EU after weve left will require the other 27 nations agreeing to let us back in. They may decide not to and there’s fuck all we could do. If they did it might take decades to get back in and all of the sweet deals we have will be gone.

And besides, Corbyn, Milne and McCluskey have no interest in getting back.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24628 on: August 19, 2019, 06:45:40 pm »
To rejoin the EU after weve left will require the other 27 nations agreeing to let us back in. They may decide not to and there’s fuck all we could do. If they did it might take decades to get back in and all of the sweet deals we have will be gone.

Have to admit I would find it pretty amusing if Spain vetoed us getting back in...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:50:02 pm by Just Elmo? »

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #24629 on: August 19, 2019, 06:48:03 pm »
Faisal Islam
‏Verified account @faisalislam
21m21 minutes ago

NEW: we have seen internal local authority No Deal planning document from up and down the country, basically those councils responsible for delivering public services including meals, and asked to by Govt to plan and assess risks - concerns standards wont be met, prices rise etc:

Faisal Islam
9m9 minutes ago

Then North Tyneside Council on changing school menus “around available produce”, and eg “special dietary requirements may be difficult to meet”... “increased use of tins and frozen goods” as a mitigation - but No Deal is in red as a risk for its food provision: /3

Faisal Islam
17m17 minutes ago

Eg North Ayrshire Council: officials “might need to amend school nutrition standards” to take into account price impact, and availability issues on fresh food - NB Scotland has more detailed standards than England & Wales /2

Faisal Islam
4m4 minutes ago

councils have checked in with foodbanks about what they might be able to provide in No Deal - fear is that rising food prices will both lead to increased need, but also reduced donations. Eg Slough council asked its foodbank earlier in year, it said we rely on donations: /4

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:50:04 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #24630 on: August 19, 2019, 06:50:22 pm »
However, it has been established in the European Court that the UK can unilaterally revoke Article 50. And since Withdrawal is a process (not just a single point in time), it would seem logical (to me, at least) that the withdrawal process be made (or is required to be) in accordance with the UK's constitution (such as it is). Or, has it been established that invoking Article 50 is the end of the constitutional requirements as far as Article 50 is concerned?

As for the second part: you long ago convinced me that rejoining will be technically very difficult. And, I think, politically impossible for a generation.

The withdrawal agreement allows for a managed process after we have left. We leave on the 31st October 2019 not two years later.

All a no-deal does is remove the two year managed process.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24631 on: August 19, 2019, 06:58:47 pm »
The ‘immediate end to free movement’ news today is interesting.  There’s no need for it, it backtracks on a promise, would be immediately economically harmful, and there are Tory MPs for whom not doing it is a key issue.  The conclusion must be that it’s a deliberate provocation to make sure No Deal gets blocked, without the government getting the blame?

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24632 on: August 19, 2019, 07:00:57 pm »
The ‘immediate end to free movement’ news today is interesting.  It backtracks on a promise, would be immediately economically harmful, and there are Tory MPs for whom not doing it is a key issue.  The conclusion must be that it’s a deliberate provocation to make sure No Deal gets blocked, without the government getting the blame?

Why must that be the conclusion, and not the more simpler and very much believable one that they're anti-immigration nutters who genuinely believe it's a good idea?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24633 on: August 19, 2019, 07:04:13 pm »
The ‘immediate end to free movement’ news today is interesting.  There’s no need for it, it backtracks on a promise, would be immediately economically harmful, and there are Tory MPs for whom not doing it is a key issue.  The conclusion must be that it’s a deliberate provocation to make sure No Deal gets blocked, without the government getting the blame?
This has been my hope .....

But I’m not utterly convinced to the honest..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #24634 on: August 19, 2019, 07:14:18 pm »

Electioneering too? Immigration is still a (relatively) big thing for voters Tories are pitching a lot of policies towards, whether they've moved Tory >Frottage or Labour >Frottage in recent years.

eg Surridge's breakdown using BMG data from March through May this year.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 07:18:16 pm by Zeb »

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24635 on: August 19, 2019, 07:49:41 pm »
Why must that be the conclusion, and not the more simpler and very much believable one that they're anti-immigration nutters who genuinely believe it's a good idea?
Because it harms their prospects of getting No Deal through.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24636 on: August 19, 2019, 07:54:17 pm »
Because it harms their prospects of getting No Deal through.

I don't see how it makes it any more difficult than it is already. I don't believe the number of Tory rebels will increase for example, as they'll cling onto vague promises of business visas and "Global Britain will maintain a flexible immigration system" type empty soundbites.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24637 on: August 19, 2019, 07:58:26 pm »
Don't most voters think there is too much immigration? That also includes Remain voters as well.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24638 on: August 19, 2019, 08:00:30 pm »
That operation yellow hammer document...

Out of date of course...

The date on it?

Oh, 1st August.  That was like years ago...
W

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24639 on: August 19, 2019, 08:03:25 pm »
That operation yellow hammer document...

Out of date of course...

The date on it?

Oh, 1st August.  That was like years ago...

Faisal Islam wrote an interesting Twitter thread about the date of that document.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1162859157969670144