Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 868922 times)

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #7720 on: November 20, 2018, 05:37:14 pm »
Having said that, I've seen that the Xr comes with 20gb of bonus data and it's £4 cheaper per month. Is it a better phone than the X?

I'm not very "woke" when it comes to technology :D

Apart from the processor, the X is better in every conceivable way. Much better Oled display,  better antennas, 3d touch, more  RAM.... the processor is plenty fast even though its a year old. 

The XR is a decent phone but the X is superior.  The XR loses everywhere except the processor,  which is not a big factor as both the A11 and A12 processors are powerful and fast.
Phuk yoo

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #7721 on: November 20, 2018, 06:16:25 pm »
Apart from the processor, the X is better in every conceivable way. Much better Oled display,  better antennas, 3d touch, more  RAM.... the processor is plenty fast even though its a year old. 

The XR is a decent phone but the X is superior.  The XR loses everywhere except the processor,  which is not a big factor as both the A11 and A12 processors are powerful and fast.

Thanks for that mate, I was under the impression that the X is superior but that just about confirms it. :D
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7722 on: November 21, 2018, 04:09:28 pm »
Anybody had any dealings with the Samsung Galaxy A6?  Had a look at the specs and it looks ok to me.

Its for my son, I have an S7 Edge, my wife and S9, so we like Samsung - just wondering if the A6 packs a punch for the reasonable price its available for.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7723 on: November 21, 2018, 05:10:35 pm »
Has anyone had any experience with the Nokia 6.1?

I'm loath to spend $600+ on a new phone.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #7724 on: November 22, 2018, 08:55:25 pm »
Looks decent that - does it work okay here in the UK? Had a look at the 2G 3G and 4G bands and all looks good. I need a new work phone and refuse to take their garbage 16gb handset so having to buy my own.

I'm on BT which I believe uses EE.

Had no problems with it at all in the UK, daughters sim was with Tesco. 3g, 4g etc. all fine.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7725 on: November 23, 2018, 09:44:34 am »
Anyone seen any good deals for an iPhone X on a new contract?

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7726 on: November 23, 2018, 05:28:31 pm »
is this a good price and a decent phone?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JH129B9/ref=twister_B07KPRH3GF?th=1

EDIT: Bought earlier on for £114.99, most reviewers love it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 11:09:00 pm by Rattleduser »
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7727 on: November 25, 2018, 06:56:42 pm »
is this a good price and a decent phone?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JH129B9/ref=twister_B07KPRH3GF?th=1

EDIT: Bought earlier on for £114.99, most reviewers love it.

id recommend the honor 9 lite as a good budget phone.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #7728 on: November 26, 2018, 06:42:35 pm »
Some cracking contract deals on the mate 20 Pro at the moment.

The missus got it for 37 quid a month, nothing up front, 80 gig of data a month and the Vodafone Red Entertainment pack.

The whole 2 years of the contract costs less than the phone and she wanted Spotify premium anyway.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #7729 on: November 27, 2018, 11:09:12 am »
Has anyone had any experience with the Nokia 6.1?

I have a 7.1 and I have been pretty happy with it so far.
Battery life is amazing. I get a day and half of life with regular usage - whatsapp calls constitute 75% of my calls.
This model has expandable memory and has the 3.5mm jack.
These three conditions sorts out 99.999% of what I need from my phone.
Costed me €275 under the company's employee discount. But I think it costs €329 otherwise.
I will definitely recommend it.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7730 on: November 27, 2018, 11:37:38 am »
Anyone software updated there Samsung phones recently? The battery life of mine has took a sudden nosedive but can't pinpoint nothing out of the ordinary?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7731 on: November 27, 2018, 11:44:00 am »
Anyone software updated there Samsung phones recently? The battery life of mine has took a sudden nosedive but can't pinpoint nothing out of the ordinary?

Usually a factory reset helps with battery life. Especially after a recent update. But you'll have to back everything up and restore everything once it's been reset

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #7732 on: November 27, 2018, 11:44:01 am »
Some cracking contract deals on the mate 20 Pro at the moment.

The missus got it for 37 quid a month, nothing up front, 80 gig of data a month and the Vodafone Red Entertainment pack.

The whole 2 years of the contract costs less than the phone and she wanted Spotify premium anyway.
I went for the same deal on black Friday but still waiting on a "network decision"! They're so slow. I wasn't looking for a new phone but it was too good a deal to miss.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7733 on: November 27, 2018, 11:49:30 am »
Nice little bit on "upgrading" the Pocophone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsHtfLh6azw&t=0s

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7734 on: November 28, 2018, 07:05:22 pm »
I have a 7.1 and I have been pretty happy with it so far.
Battery life is amazing. I get a day and half of life with regular usage - whatsapp calls constitute 75% of my calls.
This model has expandable memory and has the 3.5mm jack.
These three conditions sorts out 99.999% of what I need from my phone.
Costed me €275 under the company's employee discount. But I think it costs €329 otherwise.
I will definitely recommend it.

Thanks. I got the 6.1 a few days ago and very happy so far. Updated instantly to the latest version of Android and has been running smoothly since. I've had a couple of texts apparently not come through, but all seems to be working now. I've not charged the battery for a day and a half, and have 22% left.

For $180, a bargain.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7735 on: November 28, 2018, 10:59:12 pm »
I went for the same deal on black Friday but still waiting on a "network decision"! They're so slow. I wasn't looking for a new phone but it was too good a deal to miss.

Got the mate 20 pro, but suffering from the green screen / gluegate issue, so having it replaced tomorrow by three, and hoping the replacement is ok. Bit disappointed with that issue, but otherwise a top phone

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #7736 on: November 29, 2018, 12:39:37 am »
Got the mate 20 pro, but suffering from the green screen / gluegate issue, so having it replaced tomorrow by three, and hoping the replacement is ok. Bit disappointed with that issue, but otherwise a top phone
I've heard about that. Sounds like Huawei are replacing them so it's not a huge deal, but obviously being without your phone for a week can be very inconvenient. Still waiting to hear if I'll get mine at all, it's been pending since early hours Saturday.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7737 on: November 29, 2018, 10:02:47 am »
anyone got a samsung s9?

the mrs bought one yesterday, tried to persuade her to buy xiaomi or huawei but that was something more difficult than pronouncing those brands
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7738 on: November 29, 2018, 02:11:06 pm »
I've heard about that. Sounds like Huawei are replacing them so it's not a huge deal, but obviously being without your phone for a week can be very inconvenient. Still waiting to hear if I'll get mine at all, it's been pending since early hours Saturday.

yeah, but it happens within the first week of owning it, so I just called up three, and they did a door to door swap with me today, and I got a phone with a non LG panel made in Nov 2018, so should be good now. beyond the 14/30 days cooling of period from the carrier, huawei offer a 2 year warranty, but as you say you have to send it off for 1-2 weeks

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7739 on: December 2, 2018, 04:21:24 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good phone around £200? Got an S7 Edge but fancy a change before I upgrade properly next year. Thought about an A6 but it doesn't have fast charging so that's a big no for me. A9 looks great but pricey, maybe A8?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7740 on: December 2, 2018, 05:12:29 pm »
Decided to not get a new mobile phone now my 2 year contract is up.
It just seems terribly wasteful to do so, I'll put a new battery in my 5s and hope it lasts couple more years.

Too many mobile phones around.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7741 on: December 3, 2018, 05:43:31 am »
Can anyone recommend a good phone around £200? Got an S7 Edge but fancy a change before I upgrade properly next year. Thought about an A6 but it doesn't have fast charging so that's a big no for me. A9 looks great but pricey, maybe A8?

I would not recommend the A8 as its chipset is not very good for a phone costing close to 300 GBP. A9 is much better but is priced close to the likes of Oneplus 6T and LG G7, which are far superior phones.  Samsung makes some great flagships but their mid and low range offerings are not good value.

I would suggest looking at the Nokia 7 plus/7.1  or Xiaomi Mi8 lite at that price...
Phuk yoo

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #7742 on: December 3, 2018, 07:05:04 am »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-5-9-Inch-Android-Sim-Free-Smartphone-Ceramic-Black/dp/B07H3P4VP7/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1543820648&sr=8-8&keywords=moto+g6

great phone
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7743 on: December 3, 2018, 11:25:53 pm »
Since I've switched to Android, people with iPhones are sending me texts that are being sent as iMessages, and not being delivered. I keep missing things because they're not being automatically sent as SMS. Is there any easy way to fix this?

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #7744 on: December 4, 2018, 08:47:30 am »
Since I've switched to Android, people with iPhones are sending me texts that are being sent as iMessages, and not being delivered. I keep missing things because they're not being automatically sent as SMS. Is there any easy way to fix this?

I had this problem trying to text my brother, who has just switched to android.  I had to go on my settings and select, send as sms if iMessage isn't working/available or something like that.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #7745 on: December 4, 2018, 05:13:37 pm »
I’ve got the iPhone xs, love it  ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7746 on: December 5, 2018, 05:10:49 am »
I had this problem trying to text my brother, who has just switched to android.  I had to go on my settings and select, send as sms if iMessage isn't working/available or something like that.

Apple's closed restrictive ecosystem to blame here. Only they can force a proprietary text message system on users, when the entire world is using the standard carrier based system.

Proprietary ports, closed wall ecosystem, gimped file management, no support for USB otg peripherals, no easy multimedia file sharing, no expandable storage, no headphone jack, no emulators or software that apple does not approve of...  Always stumps me how many phones these guys manage to sell every year despite the shortcomings and restrictions....
Phuk yoo

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #7747 on: December 5, 2018, 08:56:50 am »
Proprietary ports, closed wall ecosystem, gimped file management, no support for USB otg peripherals, no easy multimedia file sharing, no expandable storage, no headphone jack, no emulators or software that apple does not approve of...  Always stumps me how many phones these guys manage to sell every year despite the shortcomings and restrictions....

Whilst I dont disagree with a closed wall ecosystem and softwares that the parent company dont approve of, the rest seem like an unnecessary evil to put up with. Proprietary ports and no support for their USB OTG are apple "trademarks". So as much as they are a bitch to work with, you can see why they want to stick on with it. The rest, however - file management, file sharing, 3.5mm jack, emulators and bluetooth are a serious shortcoming of the apple phones.

Oh and you forgot migration complication. The migration chain between Apple and Android. They unnecessarily complicate everything so that if you are with an apple once, you will be forced to stay with them forever and are forced to buy apple related peripherals and accessories forever. And the hippies keep falling for it. Logic beats me.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7748 on: December 5, 2018, 11:02:27 am »
Yeah, they make it as difficult as possible for a user to migrate to android for obvious reasons.

Talking more about restrictions put in place by Apple , their browsers are all pretty much the same as they are only allowed to use Apple's webkit engine.  Emulators etc are completely off limits without jailbreak, as are torrents.  So many things you cannot do on an iphone... As a geek, i am not a big fan of IOS restrictive and simplified approach to smartphone software. Given the massively powerful hardware developed by Apple, it is a shame the software is so restrictive.  It would be fantastic if they started selling their SoCs to android OEMs like LG and Samsung, which would have allowed users to actually utilise all that power instead of showing off in meaningless benchmarking exercises.

Phuk yoo

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7749 on: December 5, 2018, 11:13:40 am »
Apple's closed restrictive ecosystem to blame here. Only they can force a proprietary text message system on users, when the entire world is using the standard carrier based system.

You can turn iMessage off on any Apple Device. It's not 'forced' on anybody.

Online bogrollsbike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7750 on: December 5, 2018, 09:50:25 pm »
I bought a Samsung galaxy s8 and cant find a case that fits the phone when I have a Tempered glass screen protector on,can anyone recommend one that would suit?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7753 on: December 7, 2018, 12:10:13 pm »
Am i just being daft here or what.....but instead of a notch etc, why don't the screen makers make that part of the phone's screen a lens?

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #7754 on: February 12, 2019, 03:13:04 pm »
I have had an iPhone since the very first model. The contract on my iPhone 6S ended last April and I was due an upgrade but I never bothered as the phone was in good condition. I dropped down to a £20pm EE SIM only deal.

I'm now at the stage where I feel like I want a new phone. Having spent over a year paying only £20pm, the thought of paying £45-£65pm now for a phone turns my stomach a bit. The new iPhones are really expensive on contracts.

Spent a few days looking into new models but after a bit searching I tell myself I don't need a new phone. I think it's laziness and the unknown. I've been with Apple for 11 years now. I'm trying to work out now why I am clinging onto them. In the past I knew it was because I had a MacBook, iPad, iCloud etc and everthing just seemed so much simpler. I don't use my Mac much anymore and recently wiped my iPad to set it up as a standalone device separate from my iPhone and MacBook.

Still in the same boat but now at the stage where my battery is buggered - lasts an hour on full on usage, and I dropped it last week and smashed the screen. Feels like an upgrade is necessary now.

But I can't believe how expensive phones are now. It seems even the most basic packages are £40 minimum. There are some that are £37pm for 1GB data, then the same phone and plan for £40+ with more data. It all feels a bit of a con and I feel a bit begrudged paying it - even for an older iPhone, like a 7 or 7S.

EDIT: Just phoned EE to look at my upgrade options - £45p/m for the iPhone 8 with 11GB of data or £37p/m for iPhone 7 with 4GB of data. I use on average 3-4GB per data a month and if I needed a 1GB add-on, it's £6. LOL
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:44:37 pm by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #7755 on: February 14, 2019, 08:02:41 pm »
Holy crap look at the battery on this...

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #7756 on: February 14, 2019, 08:59:52 pm »

Yes but it is nearly 2 centimetres thick. You could have a normal phone and strap a power bank to the back of it and come out at the same thickness.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7757 on: February 15, 2019, 10:41:38 am »
Good fuck

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #7758 on: February 15, 2019, 11:37:25 am »

If I remember right, Energizer said they had to "downsize" the battery from ca. 21000mAH because of heating concerns.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7759 on: February 15, 2019, 11:47:09 am »
i just went to look on gsm arena to read up on that phone and saw this

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_7-9513.php

look at the camera!