Author Topic: Benitez Confident Of Title Win  (Read 9679 times)

Offline MAL05

• Kopite
  • JFT96 - YNWA
Benitez Confident Of Title Win
« on: February 2, 2008, 02:21:06 pm »
Rafael Benitez today insisted he's the right man to lead Liverpool towards Premier League glory. 
With Liverpool trailing the leaders by 17 points in the current standings Benitez admits it will be almost impossible to land the crown this season, but he remains confident he's the manager who can take the Reds back to the top of English football in the future.

"If I think it's impossible, maybe I could look at other options. But I'm not thinking about that. I think we can win titles, and win the Premier League. Not this year - it would be almost impossible - but in the future," he said.

"Liverpool is a town of fighters and I will fight. It doesn't matter if we draw or lose another game, I will try to do my best in every game and during the rest of my time here, which may be ten years.

"If you keep your mind positive then you can change things. If you keep your head down then you can't change anything. If the manager is not positive then it's difficult to improve. I'm convinced it is the only way.

"We have got through to finals and won trophies here already. I am positive we can improve as a club and win more.

"Some headlines in the Spanish press were saying Liverpool hadn't won the league for 18 years and were blaming me. But I've only been here just over three years. We are improving but we need to progress more and faster if we are to close the gap."

He added: "It's clear there has been a different situation this season. The expectations this year were different, and that has made it more difficult. In football it's difficult to stop that.

"We can improve, but the other teams are improving and to win the league we'd need to get our best Premier League points total and have an almost perfect season. I've said that in the past and it's still the same."

You know what? I bloody believe him!!

.."I am only thinking of the next game"..

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
Re: Benitez Confident Of Title Win
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2008, 02:30:42 pm »
Not with h&g at the helm we won't as it's not really in their immediate interests to win titles. Maybe that bit about Rafa being here for "may be ten years" suggests he thinks Hicks could be on his way out soon though? Fingers, toes, arms, legs, ears, eyes and testicles crossed.  ;)
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline mikek1984

• Peel 'ed. Property of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAT RAT RAT RAT RAT RAT
« Reply #2 on: February 2, 2008, 02:33:03 pm »
sorry, i cannot see him winning the league with liverpool
I LIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline Rhino

• Last of the great romantics. Tess of the Googlevilles. Randy internet flirt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #3 on: February 2, 2008, 02:35:28 pm »
He'll do it for sure, just stay calm and be positive

Offline coolfire

• Kopite
  • Raa-Fa..Rafael... Raa-Fa..Rafael... Raa-Fa..Rafael
« Reply #4 on: February 2, 2008, 02:36:01 pm »
Call me blind... Say what you like, all you doubters out there... But I'm always behind Rafa!!!
Rafa Benitez, 19112007: "But even if I was approached I would tell whichever club it was that I am really happy with my club, my squad, my supporters and my city."

Moses said,"Come forth", but we came fifth...And won the Champions League!

Offline skibaboo

• Baljeev's mate, and a good egg.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us dream, or at least stop the nightmares..
    • Anxiety Central
« Reply #5 on: February 2, 2008, 02:37:34 pm »
I've got this strange calm feeling today. I think we may have turned a corner in this horrible saga. Don't know why, it's just a feeling I'm getting. Either that or I'm high?
bj. coutinho will be labelled the greatest liverpool player of all time once he hangs up his boots
u can quote that, put it in ur sig

bj. and if he aint, ill eat my own penis
http://www.anxiety-central.com/

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #6 on: February 2, 2008, 02:40:20 pm »

I can if we get rid of the Americans first, otherwise I can't.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #7 on: February 2, 2008, 02:42:31 pm »

Same, too much fucking around both on and of the pitch
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Rhino

• Last of the great romantics. Tess of the Googlevilles. Randy internet flirt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #8 on: February 2, 2008, 02:44:26 pm »
I've got this strange calm feeling today. I think we may have turned a corner in this horrible saga. Don't know why, it's just a feeling I'm getting. Either that or I'm high?

Its prob cos Sunderland are shit ;D

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 2, 2008, 02:45:22 pm »
Town of fighters, I like that... if he does lose his job (and I hope he won't, because I think he's right) he could always find a career as a speechwriter.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #10 on: February 2, 2008, 02:47:21 pm »
Give him a few years under the right ownership, and yes I think he can.

But I just cant see him being given the time.
Justice for the 96.

Offline redway101

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: February 2, 2008, 03:06:57 pm »
Personally I wish our manager and players (usually before the season starts) would actually not make comments like this. I understand why Rafa comes out with this but I'd really like us to say absolutely nothing and start delivering on the pitch.

Offline skibaboo

• Baljeev's mate, and a good egg.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us dream, or at least stop the nightmares..
    • Anxiety Central
« Reply #12 on: February 2, 2008, 03:09:59 pm »
Its prob cos Sunderland are shit ;D

Yeah that and I'm still a bit spaced I think  ;) ;D
bj. coutinho will be labelled the greatest liverpool player of all time once he hangs up his boots
u can quote that, put it in ur sig

bj. and if he aint, ill eat my own penis
http://www.anxiety-central.com/

Offline Skillz

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: February 2, 2008, 03:11:41 pm »
He'll do it for sure, just stay calm and be positive

Agree. His interviews this week have been class. Look forward to our performance tonight, will tell a lot IMO.
Carra is Ours - So fuck off!!!

Offline Football CRAZY

• Thick Prick
  • Legacy Fan
  • simply too intelligent, sorry.
« Reply #14 on: February 2, 2008, 03:13:53 pm »

Agree.

With Rafa I get the feeling he would be happier going in at half time 0-0 with a team that has controlled the game to his tactics perfecly, than go in 1 or 2 nil up with a team that has done the opposite of everything he believes in tactically.

Online Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #15 on: February 2, 2008, 03:18:15 pm »

Will you share some with me? ;)

Seriously though, I trust him. I never really trusted GH, but I trust Rafa to steer us home to 19 eventually. As long as people stay off his back and let him get on with his job. A few bob from the yanks would help too
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #16 on: February 2, 2008, 03:22:07 pm »
Try opening your eyes then.

Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline StevieG26

• Would like to be the first of offer his criticisms.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 2, 2008, 03:24:44 pm »
"Benitez Confident Of Title Win" :lmao

Seriously though, I trust him. I never really trusted GH, but I trust Rafa to steer us home to 19 eventually. As long as people stay off his back and let him get on with his job. A few bob from the yanks would help too

Rafa is miles better than GH. But not good enough to win us the league I'm afraid. Backing or no backing, the truth is that we lie in seventh place in February, outside the European places, below the likes of Man City, Aston Villa and EVERTON.
"Football is not a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more important than that."

Bill Shankly.

Offline Jorgen

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: February 2, 2008, 03:25:43 pm »
Try opening your eyes then.

What has he done that makes you think that we're closer to winning the league now compared to when he was appointed?

Open you eyes, we further away from winning the league now comapred to 3 1/2 years ago.

Offline xabi rules

• out winning title with Liverpool
  • Kopite
« Reply #19 on: February 2, 2008, 03:30:50 pm »
Agree.

With Rafa I get the feeling he would be happier going in at half time 0-0 with a team that has controlled the game to his tactics perfecly, than go in 1 or 2 nil up with a team that has done the opposite of everything he believes in tactically.

Interviewer: would you prefer to win 4-2 or 2-0?
Rafa: I would prefer to win 4-0

;D
'' I'd like to think that I have put more into the game than I have taken out. And that I haven‘t cheated anybody, that I've been working for people honestly all along the line, for the people of Liverpool who go to Anfield. I'd like to be recognised for trying to give them entertainment.''

The great Bill Shankly

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #20 on: February 2, 2008, 03:31:44 pm »
What has he done that makes you think that we're closer to winning the league now compared to when he was appointed?

Open you eyes, we further away from winning the league now comapred to 3 1/2 years ago.

Come back to me if we finish 5th and 37 points off top.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #21 on: February 2, 2008, 03:35:45 pm »
Call me blind... Say what you like, all you doubters out there... But I'm always behind Rafa!!!

Blind.

Offline Football CRAZY

• Thick Prick
  • Legacy Fan
  • simply too intelligent, sorry.
« Reply #22 on: February 2, 2008, 03:37:10 pm »
Interviewer: would you prefer to win 4-2 or 2-0?
Rafa: I would prefer to win 4-0

;D

The real answer to the actual question, if he had the straight choice...would be 2-0, though. We all know it and so does he.

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #23 on: February 2, 2008, 03:38:50 pm »

OK,

[1] Before the $hit hit the fan in November we were playing the best football we'd played in years.
[2] We should have beaten a full strength Chelsea side (excluding a confused ref.)
[3] The quality players he has bought are good enough to win the league.
[4] I believe that he hasn't had the support to buy the Wingers he wants (I know he's spent money, but Wingers are costing £12M-£20M, he hasn't had that kind of money).
[5] In November till Now he's had to play Sami and Carra ALMOST EVERY GAME. No-one believes at 34 Sami is able to play every game at this level.

I agree that he prefers to control the game than dazzle the fans, but looking at some of those early games, we played some dazzling football. I just hope that this summer we only add 1 or 2 players to the starting 16 and not 4 or 5. In his last 2 summers he needed to rebuild every summer as the quality of his new players far out-stripped his current ones. This summer I really hope that he has the confidence to buy just 1 or 2 quality players and let the nucleus of the team mature. 
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Online Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #24 on: February 2, 2008, 03:39:19 pm »
Rafa is miles better than GH. But not good enough to win us the league I'm afraid. Backing or no backing, the truth is that we lie in seventh place in February, outside the European places, below the likes of Man City, Aston Villa and EVERTON.

Theres no denying that our current position is poor. This season has really gone tits up, and alot of things have contributed to poor team morale. Rafa should shoulder some of the blame, but not all. Pako leaving was a big cock-up. He was the middle man between Rafa and the players as well as an excellent coach. Thats where I honestly believe things started turning for the worse.

But having said that, I think Rafa will steady the ship. When i look at Reina, Arbeloa, Agger, Masch, Lucas, Babel, and Torres I cant help but think hes building somthing very promising. And when you look at the age of them then theres reason for optimism IMO. Another couple of class signings and an "in form" Stevie & Xabi and we're going to be a serious force. Things will get better, I do believe that. At the end of the storm...........theres a golden sky.
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline AdamJohn

• Main Stander
« Reply #25 on: February 2, 2008, 03:51:01 pm »
I have full faith in Rafa. It is clear he loves the club and wants to win as bad as everyone else. He will, it's just a matter of time.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 2, 2008, 03:55:35 pm »
I think Benitez needs to change his philosophy if we are to win the title under him. If given the funds he needs to stop buying prospects and start to bring in the real deal, a finished article. Stop the rotation bollocks and play the best team every week.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #27 on: February 2, 2008, 03:55:51 pm »
The myopic thinks its everybody else' fault but RAfa's.

The realistic thinks Rafa has a huge part to play in it.

Online Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #28 on: February 2, 2008, 03:58:19 pm »
we dont have the squad or the back at the moment to be able to be consistant challengers. but i think in due time once rafa gets the backing and assembles the squad of players he wants, we'll see number 19.

True, the squad needs some quality additions. But not a whole lot. 2 or 3 more. CF LM and LB. We're closer than it appears at the moment. If only you could buy some team confidence eh?

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #29 on: February 2, 2008, 04:11:01 pm »
Brilliant point made elsewhere but that shower have had to have a brilliant season and us a shite season for them to get anywhere near us

We have enough of their bile, we don't need it from our own

I wonder if we finished 7th it might do us a favour and see some of the dickheads fuck off to support someone else?

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 2, 2008, 04:16:02 pm »
it will happen if he is allowed to stay but he needs to make sure of a few things.

1.he is boss and gerarrd isnt
2.gerrard is holding Pool back by playing central
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Tim-Cross

• The Banner's 5th Beatle - And a Tit (by order of Reeves and ChrisR)
  • Legacy Fan
  • beware of big birds.
« Reply #31 on: February 2, 2008, 04:20:56 pm »
Consistancy wins the league.

I really don't believe Rafa can produce a consistant side for 38 games. Too many strange decisions, rotation, formation and substitutions etc.

In one off games we can beat ANYONE, that makes us one of the best cup sides in Europe right now, but we have too many poor games to win the league sadly
"Well, Liverpool haven't done much for a very long time but they can still remember.  And last night, they remembered, and the force of their memories was strong enough to bring the past to life"

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #32 on: February 2, 2008, 04:23:11 pm »
He will NEVER win us the league.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #33 on: February 2, 2008, 04:24:50 pm »

Sound

Mystic Muppet

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #34 on: February 2, 2008, 04:36:39 pm »
Tell me why he would then.

Offline skidz73

• Kind Kenny... what a gent...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't Drink and Post.
« Reply #35 on: February 2, 2008, 04:40:49 pm »

Or you're taking in Gerrard Houllier cliches.
By the way, I should tell you that I haven’t had a chance to shower while making my way up here, my balls are extra vinegary.

Online Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #36 on: February 2, 2008, 04:43:05 pm »

If your going to make a cock-arsed comment at least back it up with some valid reasons

Offline Tim-Cross

• The Banner's 5th Beatle - And a Tit (by order of Reeves and ChrisR)
  • Legacy Fan
  • beware of big birds.
« Reply #37 on: February 2, 2008, 04:44:45 pm »
If your going to make a cock-arsed comment at least back it up with some valid reasons

I'm not defending him but it COULD be said that the last 4 seasons in the league are possible reasons...

Before you shoot me down, I've put my thoughts further up the thread.
"Well, Liverpool haven't done much for a very long time but they can still remember.  And last night, they remembered, and the force of their memories was strong enough to bring the past to life"

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #38 on: February 2, 2008, 04:54:16 pm »

We are nowhere nearer to the league title than ever.

He has rotated for 3.5 seasons and still will.

etc etc etc... couldn't be arsed.

Offline Serenity

• Legacy Fan
  • ...innuh in kuhtluss
    • Institutional Renaissance Academic System
« Reply #39 on: February 2, 2008, 04:59:34 pm »
We are nowhere nearer to the league title than ever.

He has rotated for 3.5 seasons and still will.

etc etc etc... couldn't be arsed.

We actually are, we have lost less games this season than last season BY FAR..

now we just need to sort out the draws....
I am walking the earth... ... walking the earth. My marido is basque, he is bright; my children are resplendent, luminous. We are walking the earth... ... walking earth... ...walking earth...

I say. I decide....such is life...happy in faith.
God has spoken; be careful, imitation is flattery.

- Tee'kum'tee'bak'kai'laa bak'kuh'laa'aa'aa'aa'aal