Author Topic: Lucas called up for Brazil  (Read 27068 times)

Offline maqu006

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK's literary theorist
Lucas called up for Brazil
« on: August 23, 2008, 08:16:16 am »
Lucas has been called up to the full Brazil squad for their world cup qualifying matches. I believe he is an excellent player who can really develop into one of the best in his position. Unfortunately, many of us do not rate him so highly but to get into the proper Brazil squad on a regular basis you must be a very good player. I guess that even if he were to be sold, which Rafa obviously doesn't want, he would fetch much more than the 6.5 million we paid for him.

Offline sittinginapool

• Boys Pen
Re: Lucas called up for Brazil
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:23:50 am »
I think we will see him develop into something special this season. I hope he gets more games, which should be expected

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:30:17 am »
i'm in the 'I don't see anything special about him at all' camp. He's a good tidy player and that's about it. I think his inclusion in the Brazil squad shows the relative lack of outstanding Brazilian players around there days.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:46:01 am »
I'll say it again, he has the most class I've seen in a young midfielder since Iniesta.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline Stevie-G

• Kopite
  • "IT'S WONDERFUL, IT'S MARVELOUS, ITS 3-3!"
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:58:55 am »
He's a good young player with ALOT of potential. His first touch passing is great, long balls are ok. Just needs to work on his tackling.
" WE GO AGAIN! "

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 09:02:21 am »
Class player.
High hopes on him and Babel this season.Hope he really grabs his oppurtunity that he will get coz of barry and Alonso fiasco.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 09:38:33 am »
I honestly believe we are a better team when he is playing in the 2 of the 4-2-3-1 with Masch. Although this was when Xabi was playing poorly and with the way he is playing at the moment Lucas should be behind Xabi.

I've said it many times but i love the way he moves the ball on to help unlock defenses. I don't know how people cant see what is special about him. A central midfielder, goes forward well, is accurate in the pass, moves the ball quickly and intelligently, and isn't totally lost when going backwards (although should improve with time).

He is a Brazilian central midfielder who is the youngest ever player to win the award for best player in the Brazilian league. (previously won by players like Kaka, Tevez, Falcao, Zico and Romario).

Captain of the Brazil under 20's team, good enough for Brazil to think he is in their best 11 for the Olympics and good enough to have 4 caps for the full national side.

We beat off Inter with a stick to sign him with him also turning down United and plied his trade starting both games against Inter in the champions league last season as well as starting against Chelsea both in the league and champions league.

He pretty much scored the winner coming off the bench in the merseyside derby (his first game for us), scored a beauty against Havant and Waterloo last season, and i general has looked very good.

And then people say that they can't see anything special at all about him........... I don't understand.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:43:05 am by nicholasanthony »

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 09:45:28 am »
The Iniesta comparison is a good one. Very calm with the ball at his feet. Keeps things simple but not afraid to unleash a bit of creativity and flair. His linkup with Pacheco in the few reserve games has shades of Torres/Gerrard about it.

For me, he has all the markings of a potential GREAT midfielder in my opinion, and there's obviously a lot more within him than he showed last season. 2006/7 Brazilian League Player of the Year, U-20 NT captain, Olympic medallist, and now promoted to senior Brazil squad. He's only going one way in his career and I'm glad he's a Red.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 09:47:11 am »
And when in 5 years time Gerrard is winding down, Lucas will be there as the Top Dog for Liverpool.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 09:48:17 am »
And then people say that they can't see anything special at all about him........... I don't understand.
Me neither. And you summed up his signing and experience much better than I.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Rille

• Anny Roader
  • In King Kenny We Trust!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 09:50:50 am »
For me one of the most important things when I look at a young player is the calmness. When you are young and gets a chance in the line up you want to impress, you want to do everything at once and most often that leads to nothing comes out of it. When I saw Lucas on his debut, his calmness was what stood out for me. He evaluates options, he makes runs that has a purpose and not just for the sake of it and looks very mature. Now, when he has quite a few games under his belt he has started to take more space in the team and use his skills even more. I think he can be a class player for us for years if he can continue to develop.

Offline arnaldo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 10:02:52 am »
quote and trust me on this....lucas is the future of liverpool fc. i think he will be more important to us in 6-7 years time than nando, mash etc
BETFAIR REF CODE NTRDKLEHG FREE Ł20 BET

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 10:03:48 am »
The Iniesta comparison is a good one. Very calm with the ball at his feet. Keeps things simple but not afraid to unleash a bit of creativity and flair. His linkup with Pacheco in the few reserve games has shades of Torres/Gerrard about it.

For me, he has all the markings of a potential GREAT midfielder in my opinion, and there's obviously a lot more within him than he showed last season. 2006/7 Brazilian League Player of the Year, U-20 NT captain, Olympic medallist, and now promoted to senior Brazil squad. He's only going one way in his career and I'm glad he's a Red.

Spot on there.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 10:14:37 am »
He is an excellent player, showed that in the Olympics, and he is going to become a major part of our squad.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline mzungu

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 10:25:40 am »
great news for him and well earned; but having him and Mascherano feck off to S America for 2 games days before the game on the 13th September, only a matter of days after they've got back from China is far from ideal for us.

Offline Simon-1973

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 11:17:12 am »
Great news for Lucas.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 11:55:46 am »
those of you who "dont see anything special in him" need to open your eyes, especially this season. 6.5 mil for this player was a bargain and he is going to improve alot this season. He will become one of the best central midfielders in the prem with anderson in the next 3 years.

Also , those who dont see anything special, the lad came on for stevie in the merseyside derby and showed stevie how to play in that game. as rafa said its about the brain and the heart not one or the other.

I mean coming on for stevie in a derby must have been daunting, but the lad handled it with ease. He is the future... we have some amazing young players at this club and i think we are going places fast.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 11:59:00 am by Zaffarious »

Offline Aldridge 8

• Schizophrenic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 12:01:11 pm »
those of you who "dont see anything special in him" need to open your eyes, especially this season. 6.5 mil for this player was a bargain and he is going to improve alot this season. He will become one of the best central midfielders in the prem with anderson in the next 3 years.

you could be right or you could be wrong , but he is a good lad but up to now he hasn't really pulled up many tree's with his performance's only a handfull , hopefully he will improve but Xabi alonso should never be sacrificed for him , personally i think lucas is a more of an offensive midfielder than alonso or masherano , but time will tell .

Offline MrPlow

• Super Dick
  • Anny Roader
  • ^^^I have a Super Dick apparently.
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 12:20:32 pm »
The reason most people are saying he's rubbish is cos he came in as an attacking midfield player, the position Gerrard played most of last season. Rafa played him a lot deeper last season to help him, to develop him into a complete midfield player. He is just gona get better and better, I have high hopes for the lad, the same lad who won the 'Bola de Ouro' - an honour previously won by the likes of Zico, Falcao, Careca, Alex, Romario, Kaká and Tevez.
'You can't have your cake and eat it too'

Seriously, WTF.

If you're not going to let me eat the cake, I will throw it at your smug face you stupid cliche using bastard.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 12:26:10 pm »
Lucas is in his 2nd season now, i expect him to be much more up with the pace of the PL this year.

think he will push xabi very hard for a starting place this year

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 12:33:33 pm »
He can't tackle.
He can't dribble.
He can't head a ball.
His long passes are wayward.
His short passing is not incisive.
His defending is woeful.
Going forward he's not much better.
But other than that, he's Brazillian so he must be brilliant.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline dmn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 12:34:44 pm »
The reason most people are saying he's rubbish is cos he came in as an attacking midfield player
Rather because some ppl don't think.
Rafa said he was brought in as someone who could play as a holding mf or box-to-box. And these 2 roles are what he's played in Brazil for club and country (dedicated holding mf in the olympics, more box-to-box in the south american u20 but still with Renato Augusto in front of him).

But as usual, some ppl think that a Brazilian midfielder obviously means he's a forward.

(oh and yes, I know Rafa played him as AM against Chelsea in the league cup when we played a "B-team")

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 12:40:15 pm »
He can't tackle.
He can't dribble.
He can't head a ball.
His long passes are wayward.
His short passing is not incisive.
His defending is woeful.
Going forward he's not much better.
But other than that, he's Brazillian so he must be brilliant.

I still rember your last fishing trip with that quote

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 12:43:21 pm »
I still rember your last fishing trip with that quote
Ahh eh, I'm sitting here on the bank, dangling me tackle, and you come along an throw a brick in the water. Yer bastard.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline motisingh

• Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 12:47:47 pm »
The idiots that don't rate Lucas are the same ones who don't see how important Xavi is for Spain.

Xavi doesn't tackle like Mascherano
Xavi doesn't dribble like Messi
Xavi doesn't head the ball like Ballack
Xavi doesn't pass as well as Alonso
Xavi's short passing is not as good as Pirlo
Xavi isn't as good at defending as Essien
Xavi doesn't score 15 goals a season
Xavi is spanish so must be brilliant

You know what Xavi does though- he is the best at linking up defence and attack

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 12:49:12 pm »
The idiots that don't rate Lucas are the same ones who don't see how important Xavi is for Spain.

Xavi doesn't tackle like Mascherano
Xavi doesn't dribble like Messi
Xavi doesn't head the ball like Ballack
Xavi doesn't pass as well as Alonso
Xavi's short passing is not as good as Pirlo
Xavi isn't as good at defending as Essien
Xavi doesn't score 15 goals a season
Xavi is spanish so must be brilliant

You know what Xavi does though- he is the best at linking up defence and attack
Wow. and I didn't even know he played for us.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 01:19:18 pm »
Ahh eh, I'm sitting here on the bank, dangling me tackle, and you come along an throw a brick in the water. Yer bastard.

Thinking about it now i really shouldn't have spoiled your fun mate, i threw a brick in but the fish could still come back. Good luck  ;)

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 01:20:15 pm »
Looks like he might have impressed Dunga - despite the red card - Brazil's midfield of Minero and Gilberto is weak and Dunga needs to change it

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2008, 01:23:54 pm »
Thinking about it now i really shouldn't have spoiled your fun mate, i threw a brick in but the fish could still come back. Good luck  ;)
Nah. One bit but I couldn't be arsed. At age 52 and three quarters, I really should have more sense. Fucking hate Saturday's when I'm not at the game or working though.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2008, 01:24:35 pm »
For me one of the most important things when I look at a young player is the calmness. When you are young and gets a chance in the line up you want to impress, you want to do everything at once and most often that leads to nothing comes out of it. When I saw Lucas on his debut, his calmness was what stood out for me.

Very good point. I think this season him and Babel will be taking a step up in their game and this can only be good for us. All this transfer talk has given Xabi a kick up the arse, and the confidence boost from Spain winning, so it's looking really good this season.

Lucas deserves a spot in the Brazil squad, their central midfield is nowt spesh.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6˝
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2008, 01:49:02 pm »
Wow. and I didn't even know he played for us.

didn't you know? its xavi alonso ;-)
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline GarethBarry-Villas No6

• Big Whopper who wants to be called Jacob or Jacob2 but is gonna have to live with GarethBarry-Villas No6 with Stupid_Cock as his custom title.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2008, 01:51:05 pm »
i think he'll have a good season

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2008, 01:54:20 pm »
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline azer

• Misanthrope who thinks we were battered by Sunderland.
  • Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2008, 02:32:56 pm »
I honestly believe we are a better team when he is playing in the 2 of the 4-2-3-1 with Masch. Although this was when Xabi was playing poorly and with the way he is playing at the moment Lucas should be behind Xabi.

I've said it many times but i love the way he moves the ball on to help unlock defenses. I don't know how people cant see what is special about him. A central midfielder, goes forward well, is accurate in the pass, moves the ball quickly and intelligently, and isn't totally lost when going backwards (although should improve with time).

He is a Brazilian central midfielder who is the youngest ever player to win the award for best player in the Brazilian league. (previously won by players like Kaka, Tevez, Falcao, Zico and Romario).

Captain of the Brazil under 20's team, good enough for Brazil to think he is in their best 11 for the Olympics and good enough to have 4 caps for the full national side.

We beat off Inter with a stick to sign him with him also turning down United and plied his trade starting both games against Inter in the champions league last season as well as starting against Chelsea both in the league and champions league.

He pretty much scored the winner coming off the bench in the merseyside derby (his first game for us), scored a beauty against Havant and Waterloo last season, and i general has looked very good.

I am totally unconvinced by him.
nice player. but not about to run or boss a game.
you mention players like romario and tevez. id like a full list of players who won that award and ibet that the majority of them would fall into the le tallec bracket that we know.

i think he still has  a chance to impress and has another 2-3 years anyway as centre mid is not exactly a position we are short in.
Something quaint and witty.

Offline Dapotayto

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2008, 02:58:59 pm »
Looks to me to have a lot of talent

In particular, his one-touch passing is very good and shows that he is thinking about what to do with the ball before it even gets to him.

One weakness in his game looks to be his pace though. Doesn't seem to have the quickest burst of acceleration but perhaps the speed of the Premier League in general accentuates this a bit.

Could well be a very important player in the future for the club.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2008, 03:57:29 pm »
I am totally unconvinced by him.
nice player. but not about to run or boss a game.
you mention players like romario and tevez. id like a full list of players who won that award and ibet that the majority of them would fall into the le tallec bracket that we know.

i think he still has  a chance to impress and has another 2-3 years anyway as centre mid is not exactly a position we are short in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bola_de_Ouro

I get your point but that is not the main part of my summary of him that i really look at. It's that captain of the Under 20's team and caps for Brazil.

You cannot be shite and have the powers that be in Brazil make you captain of the Under 20's team. TO play for BRazil you must be skilled and have the correct mentality to play football the right way. He must have it.

Offline MidMaestro

• Anny Roader
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2008, 06:15:04 pm »
Top class player.

Better than Alonso, immense composure on the ball for his years and has a goal or two in him aswell

Offline Harry_Wong

• RAWK Security Consultant. a right burka
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red in the Head
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2008, 07:17:25 pm »
Is there a clip of his red card foul on Mascherano anywhere online?
Bill Shankly invites reporters into the changing room to meet his new captain, Ron Yeats:
"I've just signed a colossus. Come in and walk round him…"
1961-71: Promoted 1st season, 2 Championships, 1 FA Cup

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 07:30:51 pm »
Spot on there.

Agreed, well said Rossi.
anyone know what actually happened to ribery's face?
Just a routine tackle by Skrtel

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2008, 07:39:58 pm »
The thing that impresses me the most about him is his movement off the ball. It's absolutely fantastic. Reminds me of Ruben Baraja.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.