Author Topic: Reasons behind this Board  (Read 6164 times)

Pheeny

Reasons behind this Board
« on: September 28, 2012, 07:33:12 pm »

Inspire A RAWKite

The 2012 London Olympics have surpassed national expectations, and in turn the nation has given our athletes a platform to perform, and an opportunity to return in Brazil in four years time and excel themselves again.

Danny Boyle's opening ceremony also gave the opportunity for the people of Great Britain to take a look at themselves, and recognise some good in a country that has taken a financial and emotional beating over the last few years. We realised that like how we look, we like what we've done, and we like what we're capable of doing - for ourselves, for our country, and for the wider world. The wider world took a look, and they generally nodded along in approval.

In many respects Team GB is a cross section of society; we've seen 54 year old Nick Skelton (complete with replaced hip) take a Gold in the Equestrian events, and we saw Helen Glover win a Gold in rowing just four years after taking up the sport. Lizzie Armitstead won silver at the age of 23 after taking to cycling at the age of sixteen.

We've seen Scouse Olympians like Katarina Johnson Thompson announce themselves on the world stage, and medals arrive from Beth Tweddle. Scouse alumni like Chris Boardman have shared expertise and knowledge in the media, and the highest profile man of the games, Bradley Wiggins, is a self confessed Red. Inspired by a city, inspiration for a city. 

The Games has shown all of us what we are capable of as individuals and as individual nations within Great Britain. We won the right to hold the Games because we said we would Inspire A Generation, and here on RAWK we are taking that Olympian Spirit seriously, and we are asking all of our users to take inspiration from the Games, and from their fellow RAWKites.

We're going to reformat the Olympics Board after the Games are over, and turn it into a resource - and hopefully an inspiration - for participation in sport - all sport. The site already has a number of busy and active threads where people share advice and experience on running, cycling, fitness, coaching, etc. We will house them all here, alongside information and advice from fellow RAWKites.

Can we get fit? Can we get competitive? Can we get a RAWKite to Brazil in 2016? The challenge stars here!

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
Re: Reasons behind this Board
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 07:41:13 pm »
Great idea for a board, Pheeny

Pheeny

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 07:44:18 pm »
Great idea for a board, Pheeny
not just my idea a joint one from the Staffroom.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 07:56:46 pm »
I have no recollection of writing any of that, I must have been tipsy on Olympic Spirit.

Anyway, how awesome would it be if we had a RAWKite at the Brazil Olympics? Even as a spectator...

But really, how awesome would it be if more of us got out more? Got fitter, took part, enjoyed active sports?

Share your sports, your stories, your challenges, your hints & tips. :wave

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 08:04:33 pm »
Even as a spectator...

I'm going if i can afford to. Lady B will probably be going as a giant ;)
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 08:33:04 pm »
I have no recollection of writing any of that, I must have been tipsy on Olympic Spirit.

Anyway, how awesome would it be if we had a RAWKite at the Brazil Olympics? Even as a spectator...

But really, how awesome would it be if more of us got out more? Got fitter, took part, enjoyed active sports?

I should be going.

Note we do have the Commonwealth Games prior in Scotland  :wave
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 08:57:17 pm »

Here's a tip.Don't go wild camping for a week in Wales whilst riding your bike for 100 mile's each day.

You'll only end up with a chest infection.

Why didn't someone post that before I did just that. ;D

This is a great idea by the way.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:24:39 pm »
"The Challenge stars" here you say, let's hope so.  :wave
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Pheeny

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 10:39:07 pm »
"The Challenge stars" here you say, let's hope so.  :wave
???

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 10:48:22 pm »
He missed a T, T.

87:13

Pheeny

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 10:53:42 pm »

Offline Redallover11

• Just behind Red Al Lover Number Ten in the Red Al Lover Queue
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 02:12:57 am »
Great idea, looking forward to participating in this

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 04:21:31 am »
Boss idea.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Pheeny

« Reply #13 on: October 3, 2012, 06:51:47 pm »
Can I also add, there are plenty of threads elsewhere on RAWK for all the piss take posts.