Author Topic: Swimming  (Read 23154 times)

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Swimming
« on: November 8, 2009, 10:51:54 pm »
Anyone do it?

Started swimming again in the summer after about 20 years of not doing any at all.

Technique is how shall we say, err a bit shite.

Just after a few tips from people who are half decent at it, still can't quite get the breathing right yet and any decent speed.

And not even attempted to do front stroke yet.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Swimming
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2009, 11:02:38 pm »
this is little help for you, but i can run and cycle for hours with little effort

went for a swim the other day for the first time in almost exactly a year, struggled big time and my breathing was all over the place

so the moral of the story is, when you start - don't stop!
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 8, 2009, 11:09:07 pm »
I go swimming at least 2 times a week.

If your doing backstrokes then just make sure the water touches the front hairline, extend your arms and do not thrash your feet around. Just flutter them about.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #3 on: November 8, 2009, 11:12:06 pm »
just keep practicing it.
there are a few exercises that you have to do before start swimming, so you can adjust your breathing to it.
The timing of the breathing depends on which distance will you swim. Another advice is that try to crawl, is not how fast you will do the strokes, is that with each stroke you crawl.
Also when you kick, try not to flex your knees.
And enjoy it!
I have to start swimming soon too!
I hope you understand this, because my english sometimes is not that good.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 03:25:17 am by Lady_Brandybuck »
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #4 on: November 8, 2009, 11:36:50 pm »
I swim as good as an elephant
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #5 on: November 8, 2009, 11:40:15 pm »
I used to swim a lot. I remember the final day of school ever June, my Mum would take me to the local pool and buy me a book of tickets that lasted me for the entire summer. I lived within walking distance, so would go everyday, sometimes twice a day depending. Then I developed cholesteatoma in my ear when I was 10-11 and haven't been able to go since.

Online Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 9, 2009, 10:37:02 am »
I swim like a housebrick.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #7 on: November 9, 2009, 10:39:18 am »
Mmmmm breast stroke.....
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #8 on: November 9, 2009, 10:51:54 am »
My lad used to have a swimming lesson once a week and we'd have a swim together when it was finished, we'd be in there for an hour or more and it was great.

Since he stopped his lessons we haven't been but I'd love to get back into it.
Legacy fan

Offline Evo1975

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: November 9, 2009, 11:11:33 am »
Anyone do it?

Started swimming again in the summer after about 20 years of not doing any at all.

Technique is how shall we say, err a bit shite.

Just after a few tips from people who are half decent at it, still can't quite get the breathing right yet and any decent speed.

And not even attempted to do front stroke yet.

I go 2/3 times a week and its all down to technique mate, concentrate on perfecting the stroke and the speed will eventually come naturally with it.  Try no to thrash about to much as it doubles your workload for each stroke and wasts energy. try to find a rhythm with your breathing that is comfortable with the pace you're going and then count your breaths for each length you do. Slow purposefull movements and make sure your complete to full range of the movement of each stroke and you'll see yourself improving in no time. 
Come on you mighty fucking red men!

Offline dutch_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 9, 2009, 11:34:26 am »
I used to swim at least one of two times a week, but then I got a bad shoulder injury and stopped.
But I hope to be back in the water in a month time or so.

Only useful advise I can give is to enjoy the swimming. Get used to swimming on a regular basis before getting too worried if your techniques are right.
You can also ask the pool guards (especially when it's not so busy at the pool) if they can look at your techniques to give you some useful tips.
Realism is the denial of reality
and
Imigination the means to explore reality

©Corneille

Offline DowntheLine1981

• Ignorant of the Dhamma
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici
    • Work's MySpace page....
« Reply #11 on: November 9, 2009, 11:43:49 am »
Try to swim at least 4 times a week, depending on work commitments.  I love it, and like a few posters have said, its all about practice and developing muscle.  Its a great exercise, and excellent for people who might have problems with their joints or who are elderly.  KEEP IT UP!!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
~Aristotle

"The trouble with having an open mind is that people will come along and try to put things in it."
~Terry Pratchett

“If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #12 on: November 9, 2009, 01:05:03 pm »
I'd need to learn how to swim. At 28, I'm a bit shy to go for lessons although that would be a good form of exercise for me.
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline DowntheLine1981

• Ignorant of the Dhamma
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici
    • Work's MySpace page....
« Reply #13 on: November 9, 2009, 01:18:48 pm »
I'd need to learn how to swim. At 28, I'm a bit shy to go for lessons although that would be a good form of exercise for me.

You should never be shy about wanting to learn new things mate, especially one that has great health benefits and might actually save your life!  Get your arse down the pool and start learning! Its a great way to meditate too, you can just switch off and have some 'me time'.  Can't encourage people enough to swim - I'm off the pool now myself!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
~Aristotle

"The trouble with having an open mind is that people will come along and try to put things in it."
~Terry Pratchett

“If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: November 9, 2009, 01:46:39 pm »

Me too mate, although I'm 23. I've just never learnt. Did some lessons when I was a kid, but I just couldn't get the hang of it and I've never been since. Most people assume it's because I'm scared of water, but it's not that. I'd love to be able to swim, just too embarrassed to get down a pool when I don't know how to swim.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #15 on: November 9, 2009, 02:13:20 pm »
Me too mate, although I'm 23. I've just never learnt. Did some lessons when I was a kid, but I just couldn't get the hang of it and I've never been since. Most people assume it's because I'm scared of water, but it's not that. I'd love to be able to swim, just too embarrassed to get down a pool when I don't know how to swim.

Once you get confident in the water, you'll love it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2VvcOHi2E8
Legacy fan

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #16 on: November 9, 2009, 02:14:23 pm »
Legacy fan

Offline dutch_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 9, 2009, 02:25:50 pm »
You should never be shy about wanting to learn new things mate, especially one that has great health benefits and might actually save your life!  Get your arse down the pool and start learning! Its a great way to meditate too, you can just switch off and have some 'me time'.  Can't encourage people enough to swim - I'm off the pool now myself!

Totally agree with you on that.
Some pools (not sure how it's in the UK, though) even have special swimming lessons for adults which might help you to start going.
And yes, for me it really is a moment for myself. Don't have to think about uni/work/other problems and just enjoy a little me time.
and

©Corneille

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #18 on: November 9, 2009, 02:27:27 pm »
used to go swimming every week but now i only swim on holiday and i can still do it perfectly which i was surprised with. You might already know this as its basic but i learnt to get my technique right for backstroke by making sure that my little finger was always the first to enter the water, and to get you started your arm should brush your ear or the side of your head in general as it enters the water. makes it easier to keep your arms straight because you do it without thinking.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #19 on: November 9, 2009, 02:27:27 pm »
And yes, for me it really is a moment for myself. Don't have to think about uni/work/other problems and just enjoy a little me time.

On holiday in France we went to a local pool and there was a woman enjoying a little "me time" with one of the waterjets just below the surface  :o
Legacy fan

Offline dutch_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 9, 2009, 02:34:15 pm »
On holiday in France we went to a local pool and there was a woman enjoying a little "me time" with one of the waterjets just below the surface  :o

Whaha, shocking :o
In my pool we don't even have waterjets haha
and

©Corneille

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 9, 2009, 02:35:57 pm »
got banned from my local swimming baths. turns out the letter s had fallen off my speedo trunks and i hadn't noticed.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 9, 2009, 02:57:49 pm »
got banned from my local swimming baths. turns out the letter s had fallen off my speedo trunks and i hadn't noticed.

BOOM BOOM :)
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

royhendo

« Reply #23 on: November 9, 2009, 03:18:20 pm »
Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

I love it now - used to hate it. Shame there are no effin pools down in Londonshire.

Offline Grobbelaar

• Anny Roader
  • Rafa is Boss
« Reply #24 on: November 9, 2009, 04:41:26 pm »
Used to compete in it but nowadays im in the pool just 4-5 times a month. Much more fun and relaxing when you dont have to swim till you puke.

Offline Dam

• Legacy Fan
  • Rush scored 1, Rush scored 2,...
« Reply #25 on: November 9, 2009, 04:54:53 pm »
I've never been a particularly strong swimmer, but recent practise has improved my ability tenfold. I go 3 times a week now and really enjoy it

Offline cornish exile

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: November 9, 2009, 05:09:49 pm »
Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

I love it now - used to hate it. Shame there are no effin pools down in Londonshire.

depends where you are in london mate. there are a few down there. anywhere near enfield??
there s albany pool on the hertford rd. used to go there  alot.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" – -- Unknown

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #27 on: November 9, 2009, 05:12:25 pm »
I hate swimming, all that effort and you're not even moving that fast, give me a jog any time.

Offline donut

• and wants to stay one... unfunny twat...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 9, 2009, 05:14:57 pm »
I hate jogging, all that effort and you're not even moving that fast, give me a bike any time.

:P

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 9, 2009, 05:53:08 pm »
I hate swimming, all that effort and you're not even moving that fast, give me a jog any time.

Swimming is as close to flying as we'll ever get. If you can't appreciate the serenity while in this state, as opposed to jolting up and down on the two things you spend most of your life perched on, then there is no hope. Nothing wrong with running though, but swimming is ace, and I can't understand why anyone would dislike it, let alone hate. :wave

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 9, 2009, 05:56:43 pm »
I go swimming at least 2 times a week.

*breathes hard*    You went three times the other week.   *breathes hard*

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #31 on: November 9, 2009, 06:05:39 pm »
I prefer to swim than to jog, is liberating and relaxing... plus it helps my knees that are in a terrible state.
I almost was born in a pool, My mom was a swimming instructor many years ago. I used to practiced it a lot, then went to practice other sports now I want to go back to swimming, this time just for fun!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #32 on: November 9, 2009, 06:32:04 pm »
Well, I'm much better than you at swimming then.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #33 on: November 9, 2009, 06:55:31 pm »
Swimming is as close to flying as we'll ever get. If you can't appreciate the serenity while in this state, as opposed to jolting up and down on the two things you spend most of your life perched on, then there is no hope. Nothing wrong with running though, but swimming is ace, and I can't understand why anyone would dislike it, let alone hate. :wave

I like to listen to music while I'm exercising this is another factor. I do just hate it though always have.

Offline love:the:game

• Yes mate...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • If found please return to nearest Blackjack Table
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 07:22:55 pm »
Swimming's one of those things where it's easier to teach someone who's never done it before, than to teach someone who's learnt it wrong. I unfortunately fall in the latter category so tend to stay away from swimming pools on account of being absolutely shite. Plus public pools are mostly kiddy yoorine anyway so I can just about live with it :-\.
I think we'd have won the league if we'd sold Keane to Man United.

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2009, 09:21:14 pm »
Did a lot better tonight, not only in distance but breathing is slightly better, still shite mind.

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2009, 09:24:47 pm »
Did a lot better tonight, not only in distance but breathing is slightly better, still shite mind.
I hadn't been for around 12 years, started back by taking my tribe down there, and now love it. Still struggle to get a good set of laps going,maybe do 10 , but my lungs do not burn as much now as they did.
My wife can swim. Unfortunately.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2009, 09:25:48 pm »
I hadn't been for around 12 years, started back by taking my tribe down there, and now love it. Still struggle to get a good set of laps going,maybe do 10 , but my lungs do not burn as much now as they did.
My wife can swim. Unfortunately.

Managed 52 lengths tonight. Not the worlds biggest pool but spend about 45 mins in it. Two laps at a time and then a mins rest or so.

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2009, 09:28:55 pm »
Managed 52 lengths tonight. Not the worlds biggest pool but spend about 45 mins in it. Two laps at a time and then a mins rest or so.
Ah mate, that's sound. 52? fuckin hell!!! I couldn't manage that,even if i didn't have the kids there.
If allowed to concentrate them maybe bang out 25/30, but not a chance of over 50.
Well played.Or you're a duck.:)
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2009, 09:30:24 pm »
Ah mate, that's sound. 52? fuckin hell!!! I couldn't manage that,even if i didn't have the kids there.
If allowed to concentrate them maybe bang out 25/30, but not a chance of over 50.
Well played.Or you're a duck.:)

THankfully as it's a hotel gym and pool it doesn't get too packed.

Was hoping to get to 40 then kept saying one more length as it means i have to do two.

Minimum tomorrow night is 52 again.