Author Topic: I wrote this song for Salah and Co. Is it good enough for the kop?  (Read 75790 times)

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: I wrote this song for Salah and Co. Is it good enough for the kop?
« Reply #400 on: January 17, 2018, 01:33:29 pm »
He is a fan and has been a member on here since 2005
But which one is his comedy persona? and was it this one that made the song or his normal self? I'm fucking confused here [emoji23]

I thought the 'real' Richy/Kevin was a Liverpool fan fair enough but the song was posted by the comedy persona as a bit of a piss take to get hits on his twitter/FB and rival fans see it like this. I mean when was the last time you seen fans of other teams singing our songs? The only thing they sing is vile songs about us where ever we go.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #401 on: January 17, 2018, 02:00:46 pm »
But which one is his comedy persona? and was it this one that made the song or his normal self? I'm fucking confused here [emoji23]

I thought the 'real' Richy/Kevin was a Liverpool fan fair enough but the song was posted by the comedy persona as a bit of a piss take to get hits on his twitter/FB and rival fans see it like this. I mean when was the last time you seen fans of other teams singing our songs? The only thing they sing is vile songs about us where ever we go.

Richy is his real name and he is a singer/comedian. Kevin is a character of his who is the biggest Liverpool fan in Cork.

Maybe Richy will clarify this. I think the laugh is on Kevin and not Liverpool fans.
#JFT97

Offline [streety]

• Craig Davis killed the thread
  • Legacy Fan
    • Coming Soon...
« Reply #402 on: January 17, 2018, 02:12:49 pm »
Had an email this morning with UKSoccerShop selling t shirts with the lyrics on. They left off the Coutinho bit though.

Offline Big-Cisse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #403 on: January 17, 2018, 02:18:15 pm »
Richy is his real name and he is a singer/comedian. Kevin is a character of his who is the biggest Liverpool fan in Cork.

Maybe Richy will clarify this. I think the laugh is on Kevin and not Liverpool fans.

But I think it is the stereotype portrayed that people are uncomfortable with. Other clubs fans think it’s funny because Kevin adheres to that Harry Enfield scouser stereotype.

Do those opposed have the humility to accept the joke and get on board with the song (with the amended last line)?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: January 17, 2018, 02:32:02 pm »
When I first saw the video and assumed it was a genuine person I loved it - there was a beautiful innocence about it.

When I found out it was a comedian playing that character as a role it sat a little uneasy with me. The character "Kevin" has a lot of traits of someone with a learning disability so it didn't/doesn't sit too easily with me that a comedian (who clearly doesn't have a learning disability) is playing a character like that to get laughs.

I know Ricky Gervais faced the same criticism for his character Derek. Not really sure where I stand on that one either to be honest. I get why people who have loved ones with learning disabilities find it in really poor taste, but I also get that, if portrayed in the right tone, it shouldn't be a taboo. (FWIW Gervais has always denied that 'Derek' has a learning disability, but I suppose he would say that wouldn't he).

Anyway, just my 2 pennies worth. If you read this Richy I hope you don't see it as having a go or like I've "got sand up my vagina" - you seem like a decent bloke who doesn't mean any harm. It's a catchy tune that's put a smile on a lot of people's faces - I hope it propels you onto big things!  :wave

Offline ErieRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #405 on: January 17, 2018, 02:50:37 pm »
:scarf :scarf :scarf

I tried to dislike this at the start, as I didn't know what to make of it. Didn't know if it was a pisstake, didn't get the OTT fanboy stuff..
I tried to dislike it, and failed. The damn thing is infectious, funny and a bit of a laugh. Plus, it's made by a proper red with good intentions.

Well in Richie.
I hope this propels you onto new things. :)

That's about the size of it for me too.  Anyone that thinks this genie can be put back in the bottle is kidding themselves.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: January 17, 2018, 02:54:07 pm »
I think people are looking too deeply into it and taking it too seriously. It's just a song at the end of the day.

Personally, I think it's fun but I can't get the fucking thing out of my mind. It's doing my head in.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: January 17, 2018, 02:54:11 pm »
it wont go away will it ?

Inside every football fan is a little boy with an LFC pillow and pyjamas who loves football and a sing song. I think this is half the appeal

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: January 17, 2018, 03:11:11 pm »
I think people are looking too deeply into it and taking it too seriously. It's just a song at the end of the day.

Personally, I think it's fun but I can't get the fucking thing out of my mind. It's doing my head in.

This all day.  People need to stop taking everything so seriously.  Not everything in life is that important. 

Also, can’t get the fucking thing out of my head either. 

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #409 on: January 17, 2018, 03:35:42 pm »
When I first saw the video and assumed it was a genuine person I loved it - there was a beautiful innocence about it.

When I found out it was a comedian playing that character as a role it sat a little uneasy with me. The character "Kevin" has a lot of traits of someone with a learning disability so it didn't/doesn't sit too easily with me that a comedian (who clearly doesn't have a learning disability) is playing a character like that to get laughs.

I know Ricky Gervais faced the same criticism for his character Derek. Not really sure where I stand on that one either to be honest. I get why people who have loved ones with learning disabilities find it in really poor taste, but I also get that, if portrayed in the right tone, it shouldn't be a taboo. (FWIW Gervais has always denied that 'Derek' has a learning disability, but I suppose he would say that wouldn't he).

Anyway, just my 2 pennies worth. If you read this Richy I hope you don't see it as having a go or like I've "got sand up my vagina" - you seem like a decent bloke who doesn't mean any harm. It's a catchy tune that's put a smile on a lot of people's faces - I hope it propels you onto big things!  :wave
Gotta be honest, I didn't see the guy as being portrayed as having learning disabilities at all - I just thought it was an Irish guy who really really loved Liverpool singing a catchy song in a way that struck me as quite innocent and sweet, and in that innocence lay the inherent humour of the video.

That said, I didn't realise he was playing a character when I first saw it. Maybe that changes things, maybe not. It seems to me that Richy is a sound guy who genuinely loves the club and was just having a bit of fun, and it wasn't intended as poking fun at anyone in particular - not Scousers, not Liverpool, and certainly not people with disabilities. I'm not meaning to have a go at you here Xabi Gerrard, just giving my point of view.

Fuck knows really, people will take it how they want. If people want to sing It, cool. If they don't, cool. No idea if it'll take off at Anfield - I'm guessing not, but i havent been for nearly a decade now so I've no idea what the lay of the land is like nowadays. As many have said, at the end of the day it's just a catchy footy song and people can do with it what they will.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #410 on: January 17, 2018, 03:54:34 pm »
What does everyone think of the klavan 17 song then?

Temptation?

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: January 17, 2018, 04:22:59 pm »
And am I the only one who says we’re not a family? Despite what FSG say?

We are football fans, supporting a Club, we’re not related. I have mates from a couple of miles away I’ve gone the game with for 40 years. We’re not family.

It’s a football Club, not a sect.

It’s not where you’re from, it’s where you’re at. And this small nonsense of a song underlines that in such a small way between what LFC is and what some think it should be.
Most irrelevant post of the thread. Amazing how you managed to squeeze FSG here too though  :lmao

Edit: Also, considering how huge and diverse our fanbase is, is it that incomprehensible that someone might support this club in a way different to what you perceive as correct?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:27:30 pm by thisyearisouryear »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: January 17, 2018, 04:24:22 pm »
What does everyone think of the klavan 17 song then?

Sounds like a WWII German POW camp.

Smithers and Cuthbertson arrived back to their squadron in blighty following a daring escape from the infamous Klavan 17.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #413 on: January 17, 2018, 05:28:23 pm »
Other clubs fans think it’s funny because Kevin adheres to that Harry Enfield scouser stereotype.

I find it funny that other fans think about us all the time. I couldn't care less what they think as they will always find ways to laugh at us in some way. A lot of Red Cafe people spend their entire life reading what is said here and reporting back. Who cares what they think. I don't have any stereotypes of any other fans and so that's why I find it strange that other fans spend more than 30 seconds thinking about us. That says much, much more about them than us.
#JFT97

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #414 on: January 17, 2018, 05:35:38 pm »
phwoar a few touchy wools in the net
By the looks of things, it's not us wools who are touchy about this ;D

Offline WisconsinRed

• Special: but only in his very own.....special.....way!
  • Kopite

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #416 on: January 17, 2018, 06:46:03 pm »
I wrote a song for Klavan a long time ago...

Ragnar the Red
Ragnar the Red
Hes gonna kick you
right in the head.

such qwality......
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #417 on: January 17, 2018, 08:08:08 pm »
Does Cork not have a football team?
what the fuck is that supposed to mean?

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: January 17, 2018, 08:23:07 pm »
it wont go away will it ?

Inside every football fan is a little boy with an LFC pillow and pyjamas who loves football and a sing song. I think this is half the appeal

It will mate, it’s a bit of fun that won’t get a mention in a few weeks. Mane’s song will stay. Salahs 3 songs will continue long after.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 08:24:51 pm by Anfield89 »

Offline calvin

• Anny Roader
« Reply #419 on: January 17, 2018, 08:28:30 pm »

Learning disability, no. He's perfectly portrayed the Cork city stereotype. It's all a bit of fun. We don't take ourselves too seriously in Ireland. You shouldn't either..

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #420 on: January 17, 2018, 08:36:14 pm »
Learning disability, no. He's perfectly portrayed the Cork city stereotype. It's all a bit of fun. We don't take ourselves too seriously in Ireland. You shouldn't either..

Well said. People should stop reading too much into this. It's brought a smile to many people's faces in a non-malicious way. Isn't that a great thing.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: January 17, 2018, 08:58:02 pm »

I know people from Cork and none of them are like that tbf! As I said, it's a little bit too 'Derek' for my liking but I realise the comedian was well meaning so wasn't having a dig at him. It just lost about 90% of it's charm for me when I realised he wasn't actually a beautifully innocent soul playing his song for us. Each to their own like.

Gotta be honest, I didn't see the guy as being portrayed as having learning disabilities at all - I just thought it was an Irish guy who really really loved Liverpool singing a catchy song in a way that struck me as quite innocent and sweet, and in that innocence lay the inherent humour of the video.

That said, I didn't realise he was playing a character when I first saw it. Maybe that changes things, maybe not. It seems to me that Richy is a sound guy who genuinely loves the club and was just having a bit of fun, and it wasn't intended as poking fun at anyone in particular - not Scousers, not Liverpool, and certainly not people with disabilities. I'm not meaning to have a go at you here Xabi Gerrard, just giving my point of view.

Fuck knows really, people will take it how they want. If people want to sing It, cool. If they don't, cool. No idea if it'll take off at Anfield - I'm guessing not, but i havent been for nearly a decade now so I've no idea what the lay of the land is like nowadays. As many have said, at the end of the day it's just a catchy footy song and people can do with it what they will.

All fair enough, agree with this. I'm 99.999% sure this won't take off at Anfield either - for right or for wrong our songs tend to have a completely different vibe and conception process to this.

(And before anyone feels this post is too negative, yes, it's a very funny and catchy song which put a lot of smiles on a lot of faces, including mine!)

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #422 on: January 17, 2018, 09:17:13 pm »
If nothing else, sand in the vagina will be getting used on a couple of gobshites at work
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: January 17, 2018, 09:24:55 pm »
I actually don't know anything about this so called 'comedian' and his act. And judging by what I'm reading I don't want to.

Don't mind people having a laugh, but if it's all for the purpose of 'banter websites' and contrived ways to get fan support trending on social media, then it's pretty naff to be honest.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #424 on: January 17, 2018, 09:56:02 pm »
what the fuck is that supposed to mean?
Go on then I`ll have a stab.

Is there a team of humans who kick a togger ball about and try to beat another team of humans in Cork?

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #425 on: January 17, 2018, 10:28:49 pm »
He is portraying a wide eyed super fan with a song that is a bit naff but so naff it ends up being a bit of fun, and what's wrong with havin a laff.
I haven't been able to get the bloody thing out of my head, We've got Salah do do do do do do oh Mane Mane do do do do do do
and the 442oons version is gold WTF was that... and where was my goal ?

It's not much different to the John Arne Riise song
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:33:09 pm by KopThat »

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: January 17, 2018, 10:45:53 pm »
and what's wrong with havin a laff.
Everything. There should be no fun in football. If there is then something's gone terribly wrong.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: January 17, 2018, 10:50:12 pm »
It will mate, it’s a bit of fun that won’t get a mention in a few weeks. Mane’s song will stay. Salahs 3 songs will continue long after.

i meant this thread wont go away ;)

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: January 17, 2018, 11:52:20 pm »
Does Cork not have a football team?

They do. They are the current League Of Ireland champions. They are the best supported team in the country by a mile. They are run by a supporters trust having (once again) been run into the ground about 8 years ago through financilal mismanagement and a proper Walter Mitty at the helm. Kevin Doyle and Shane Long are 2 players who left Cork for the english leagues in the last decade.
When I was a youngster in the 70's, in Cork, i went every week to see my team, Cork Hibernians or the other city team, Cork Celtic play. It was an amazing time to be brought into footie. Hibs were a great side and played in the European Cup. once against one of our favourite german clubs BMG.

Anyway the point of this ramble is Hibs went bust, Celtic went bust, Albert Rovers their next incarnation also went bust. Cork United and Three Rock Rovers, Evergreen Utd all preceeded Hibs and all went bust. Cork City are around over 20 years and are now, finally, stable and flourishing. It's a fun place to go watch a game.

So, Cork has a soccer team (as well as Hurling and Football-GAA) and Rugby (local and provincial, Munster second home). All my mates who go with their kids to watch Cork City have english clubs they follow as well, it's just the way it is.
As such everyone who loved soccer down in Cork adopted an english club as we could never hang on to any of our own, That is why, down here there is such a strong Reds following (and Utd etc.).

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #429 on: January 18, 2018, 12:57:11 am »

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #430 on: January 18, 2018, 03:02:05 am »
SITV.... It effects Everyone. Dont turn a blind eye. If you know someone suffering from SITV sing them a happy song Today!
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #431 on: January 18, 2018, 03:41:06 am »
He looks like he’s from under the bridge in Garston
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #432 on: January 18, 2018, 05:09:58 am »
Going to be honest, the song has been going through my house the last 5 hours. It’s infectious alright.
YWNA

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #433 on: January 18, 2018, 07:54:17 am »
Don't give a rat's arse if it's sung at Anfield, my kids who I try to raise to be Reds, love it and sing it with me several times a day. Great way to get them familiarised with the club I love.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #434 on: January 18, 2018, 10:10:06 am »
If the song was created on a mini bus to an away match by a bunch of scouse lads it would be the next best thing. It’s pretty sad people are against singing it just due to who made it and the fact Soccer Am picked it up. We don’t always have to be old school Adidas gazelle wearing superfans. It’s a great song, very catchy and would be fun to be bouncing on The Kop singing it. Maybe alter the last line but in my opinion let’s get it going. It’s been years since we’ve had a decent song for players!
Justice for the 97

Offline rafathegaffa

• Legacy Fan
  • Bang bang Rosie
    • A few songs...
« Reply #435 on: January 18, 2018, 10:33:30 am »
Regardless of the original intention, it's ridiculously catchy.
Stuck in my head for days now.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #436 on: January 18, 2018, 10:42:03 am »
Well in Richy lad. Fabulous stuff whatever your motives for doing it - 'the but that don't matter cos we've got... bit cracks me up.  ;D. And the animated thingy is hilarious.

That said, the one that will deffo become mega in the ground is the 'James Sit Down one.

Short intro verse

Oh we've got Mohamed Salah he's worth everything

He's our Anfield Ayatollah hear the Kopites sing

Then straight to Chorus

Mo Salah, Mo Salah, Mo Salah Running down the wing

Salah, Salah, Salah, Salah, Salah Egyptian King

Repeat ad infinitum

A stonewall new Kop classic

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: January 18, 2018, 10:50:43 am »
Well in Richy lad. Fabulous stuff whatever your motives for doing it - 'the but that don't matter cos we've got... bit cracks me up.  ;D. And the animated thingy is hilarious.

That said, the one that will deffo become mega in the ground is the 'James Sit Down one.

Short intro verse

Oh we've got Mohamed Salah he's worth everything

He's our Anfield Ayatollah hear the Kopites sing

Then straight to Chorus

Mo Salah, Mo Salah, Mo Salah Running down the wing

Salah, Salah, Salah, Salah, Salah Egyptian King

Repeat ad infinitum

A stonewall new Kop classic

You know referring to Salah as "our Anfield Ayotollah" is like referring to a devout Protestant player as "our Anfield Pope", right? Just sayin.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #438 on: January 18, 2018, 10:59:08 am »
You know referring to Salah as "our Anfield Ayotollah" is like referring to a devout Protestant player as "our Anfield Pope", right? Just sayin.

Ha ha. Who gives a fuck. It rhymes doesn't it?

;D

Every early Liverpool song was 'orange' and yet I sang them all.

Timbo [ex altar boy]

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #439 on: January 18, 2018, 11:00:32 am »
Also - sticking with your tack it should be Egyptian Pharoah!

;D