Author Topic: Newsgroups thread (guide)  (Read 73669 times)

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
Re: Newsgroups thread (guide)
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2011, 05:24:54 pm »
Edit: I was mistaken. The info in the link uses somethign other thatn what i have. I use newbin
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:44:05 pm by buzzing »
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2011, 05:43:06 pm »
ive been using grabit now for over a year, used to use newsleecher before that, but grabit is free and it pars and unpacks your rars auto as well

Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2011, 11:34:23 pm »
Kash - NZBMatrix seems to be suffering with hosting problems a lot. Any suggestions for other index sites?

Offline markcd

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2011, 04:26:35 pm »
Is it just for me, or has AstraWeb gone shite? Nothing ever finishes, so I bought a block from BlockNews to fill in the gaps - but not sure I can be arsed with Astraweb at all - maybe just stick with BlockNews?

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 25, 2011, 05:03:47 pm »
Is it just for me, or has AstraWeb gone shite? Nothing ever finishes, so I bought a block from BlockNews to fill in the gaps - but not sure I can be arsed with Astraweb at all - maybe just stick with BlockNews?
I usually split my connections over a few servers,. I put 10 on the EU SSL and 10 on the US SSL. I used sabnzb.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2011, 05:46:28 pm »
No problems with Astraweb for me, been downloading some stuff over the last few days which which has been on the group between 700 - 1000 days. I do find the EU server occasionally a bit slow so normally use the US one.

Offline markcd

• Anny Roader
« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2011, 06:38:08 pm »
could it be Grabit that's messing things up? I was looking for something else anyway, as you only specify which server all the files come from at the start of a batch download, I can't see anywhere where I can specify looking for files that are missing from another server... (does that make sense?)

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 25, 2011, 07:08:02 pm »
I think I know what you mean.

In Newsleecher I have two servers added, Virgin Media and Astraweb. It is configured to attempt to get each file from Virgin first (because its free) and anything it can't download from Virgin it will then attempt to download from Astraweb.

Offline markcd

• Anny Roader
« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2011, 07:22:33 pm »
That's exactly what I meant. Will try newsleecher tomorrow. Have spent hours trying to dl the movie Submarine. Just know its going to be garbage after this much effort.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2011, 08:07:37 am »
I think I know what you mean.

In Newsleecher I have two servers added, Virgin Media and Astraweb. It is configured to attempt to get each file from Virgin first (because its free) and anything it can't download from Virgin it will then attempt to download from Astraweb.

I do the same, but with Astraweb and Blocknews as fallback. Haven't had any more trouble than usual over the last few weeks. No problems with recent stuff.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2012, 09:07:02 pm »
Thanks for this Kashinoda. Up and running in no time, top stuff
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2012, 10:47:51 am »
Usenet is the bomb. Been using it since 1992ish. My only worry is that it once the geek barrier to entry is eliminated, and usage increases through ease of use with tools like Giganews, GrabIt and Newzbin, it will come onto the radar of the establishment.
ITS HAPPENING! :D

Am i the only one on here who's with giganews as my provider and using nzbsrus instead of nzbmatrix?
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2012, 11:06:59 am »
And thanks from me too Kash - much obliged. SSL too? Don't know why I didn't sign up earlier.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2012, 07:58:27 pm »
Thanks for this Kashinoda. Up and running in no time, top stuff
And thanks from me too Kash - much obliged. SSL too? Don't know why I didn't sign up earlier.

You're welcome.

ITS HAPPENING! :D

Am i the only one on here who's with giganews as my provider and using nzbsrus instead of nzbmatrix?

Giganews is great but far too expensive for me, Astraweb is $11 a month and haven't had any problems, use Blocknews as a secondary server for any missing blocks (if any!).
:D

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2012, 08:03:46 pm »
Not had any problems with giganews in terms of missing blocks, great retention, just never changed from it

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2012, 12:05:08 am »
If I get an error message stating that "Article not found" am I screwed in the sense that I'll have to find another source and download the .nzb again?

I wouldnt mind normally, but the package that I was after was greater than 20gb :(

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2012, 11:27:03 am »
a single 20gb file or split into rar's?

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2012, 12:25:37 pm »
a single 20gb file or split into rar's?

Not a single file mate. Although I did have a look through some of the comments and it seems that quite a few people have had trouble with it. Oh well, lesson learnt I guess

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2012, 01:44:53 pm »
sometimes it depends on your usenet provider, my main account is with maximumusenet.com and their retention is very good but i have a payg account with astraweb which i only use if i've got missing files and not enough blocks to repair the archive, if i do need to use the astraweb account i only download as few files as possible to give me enough blocks to repair

might be something worth considering if you can afford it, it's $10 for 25gb or $25 for 180gb, i use the 25gb package and haven't needed to top it up for over a year but it comes in very handy when there's missing files on my normal server

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2012, 02:50:25 pm »
Not a single file mate. Although I did have a look through some of the comments and it seems that quite a few people have had trouble with it. Oh well, lesson learnt I guess
some usenet providers have the rar's missing, however sometimes these rar's missing are not essential as the par's can rebuild the file using the blocks.

I think i'm correct.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2012, 10:24:34 pm »
Right, not sure if i've mentioned in the thread before but why the fucking fuck is everything always German, French or Dutch and not english...the originals are English so WTF
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2012, 10:25:58 pm »
some usenet providers have the rar's missing, however sometimes these rar's missing are not essential as the par's can rebuild the file using the blocks.

I think i'm correct.

Yup. I find that error at times. It seems it stil manages to ge the fiel from elsewhere, be it another server or by using the PAR files

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2012, 10:45:29 pm »
Right, not sure if i've mentioned in the thread before but why the fucking fuck is everything always German, French or Dutch and not english...the originals are English so WTF

Never got this myself either. German I kinda did as Usenext seems to be based there
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 1, 2012, 05:19:34 pm »

What a truly dumb ignorant question. You think the Internet is reserved only for English-speakers or something?

Most people (by which I mean the 5.7 billion people who didn't grow up speaking English) don't speak such good English, and certainly can't understand the blather spoken in most films, so quite understandably, they prefer to watch dubbed/subtitled versions of English-language films.

Never got this myself either. German I kinda did as Usenext seems to be based there

The content of the usenet is the same wherever your particular provider happens to be based.

If it bothers you that much, you'll just have to pay up for an account at a search site that allows you to include/exclude particular languages (nzbmatrix and newzbin spring to mind).

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #144 on: February 2, 2012, 08:18:33 pm »
What a truly dumb ignorant question. You think the Internet is reserved only for English-speakers or something?

Most people (by which I mean the 5.7 billion people who didn't grow up speaking English) don't speak such good English, and certainly can't understand the blather spoken in most films, so quite understandably, they prefer to watch dubbed/subtitled versions of English-language films.

The content of the usenet is the same wherever your particular provider happens to be based.

If it bothers you that much, you'll just have to pay up for an account at a search site that allows you to include/exclude particular languages (nzbmatrix and newzbin spring to mind).

Yes because that's what i said. The whole world should speak English. Fuck me what an OTT reaction

Most of the world dont speak German, French or Dutch either do they? My point was an English film which has been leaked comes out in all formats that are watchable in the above languages but nothing in English

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 3, 2012, 11:33:36 am »
Yes because that's what i said. The whole world should speak English. Fuck me what an OTT reaction

Most of the world dont speak German, French or Dutch either do they? My point was an English film which has been leaked comes out in all formats that are watchable in the above languages but nothing in English

Sorry, your point did not come across very clearly in your post.

If you're looking at newsgroups, the answer is because NZB sites are more international than BitTorrent sites. Germans have their own BitTorrent index sites, the French theirs. This is much less true of NZB sites.

NZBMatrix and Newzbin index many French and German groups, but they both offer search filters in your account settings where you can choose to only show English results in your searches.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #146 on: February 4, 2012, 06:31:39 am »
To be honest on NZBMatrix the releases are very clearly marked in terms of nationality, never have a problem with downloading things in English. Used to get a lot of releases on Newzbin which weren't labelled correctly or had no specification, likewise on Binsearch.info which is just a raw search anyway.
:D

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #147 on: February 4, 2012, 07:52:12 am »
To be honest on NZBMatrix the releases are very clearly marked in terms of nationality, never have a problem with downloading things in English. Used to get a lot of releases on Newzbin which weren't labelled correctly or had no specification, likewise on Binsearch.info which is just a raw search anyway.

I also use NZBMatrix and have no problems you can also change the options that it only shows English versions.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #148 on: February 4, 2012, 01:43:17 pm »
Sorry, your point did not come across very clearly in your post.

If you're looking at newsgroups, the answer is because NZB sites are more international than BitTorrent sites. Germans have their own BitTorrent index sites, the French theirs. This is much less true of NZB sites.

NZBMatrix and Newzbin index many French and German groups, but they both offer search filters in your account settings where you can choose to only show English results in your searches.

Cool no probs

Yup that's what i was after i.e. why them ones are more popular

Looks like i need to move away from BS.info

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 4, 2012, 03:10:49 pm »
Yup. I'd definitely recommend NZBMatrix for that reason alone. It is a pain in the arse wading through all the different language versions of stuff on BS.info, nzbindex.nl etc. It'd be different (and so much better) if people tagged English-language files with the language name, like they do non-English files, but that's just not the way English-speakers think.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #150 on: February 4, 2012, 09:28:36 pm »
wont allow webmail domains. Cant use work's. What did you guys use? ISP emails? - This not risky with recent clamp downs?

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 4, 2012, 11:43:18 pm »
wont allow webmail domains. Cant use work's. What did you guys use? ISP emails? - This not risky with recent clamp downs?

Which site? I'm signed up to NZBMatrix with a Gmail account.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 5, 2012, 07:16:25 pm »
Hi guys, I've decided to have a go at this Usenet malarky but dont seem to be able to get anything to work. I'm obviously doing something wrong but cant figure it out. So, some help would be appreciated.

I'm with Virginmedia and have downloaded Grabit and registered with NZBMatrix. I'm trying to follow the guide at the start but I'm not seeing anything downloading in Grabit.

The basic sequence I'm doing is finding a movie on NZB, ckicking it and choosing the ZIP format. Then selecting open using Grabit from the Other option after that. But when I look in Grabit nothing appears to be happening. Anybody got any ideas? If the movie isnt on Virginmedia would Grabit indicate this.

Oh, when setting up Grabit I used news.virginmeda.com for the server, and put the same in for the news provider under NZB.

Anyone got any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 5, 2012, 07:31:18 pm »
How old are the NZB's that you are downloading from NZBMatrix? Retention for most groups on Virgin isn't very good, 10-14 days at best.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: February 5, 2012, 07:34:40 pm »
How old are the NZB's that you are downloading from NZBMatrix? Retention for most groups on Virgin isn't very good, 10-14 days at best.

Its saying that they were Added to Usenet 3 days ago Graeme.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 5, 2012, 07:43:15 pm »
Looking back at your post, you said that you are downloading it in Zip and then telling Grabit to open the Zip file - I think this might be where you are going wrong.

Download from NZBMatrix as an NZB and not a Zip and then use Grabit to open the NZB instead of the Zip.

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 5, 2012, 08:07:01 pm »
Ah right then Graeme. I thought NZB was free. I need to upgrade to a VIP account to download the NZB direct then?

I've just tried saving the ZIP file and then opening it direct from the save folder. It then opens and lets me run the unrar'd NZB file which it associates with Grabit automatically. Then it downloads OK - or it seems to be anyway  :-)

An extra step but hey ho I'm a cheap skate.

just checked and the movies downloaded and plays OK. Happy days. Thanks for the help mate.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2012, 08:18:22 pm by blert596 »

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 5, 2012, 08:11:55 pm »
No probs :)

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #158 on: February 5, 2012, 11:36:14 pm »
Which site? I'm signed up to NZBMatrix with a Gmail account.

Same site - Tried yahoo and hotmail. Wil give gmail a bash.

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: February 8, 2012, 11:05:12 am »
Same site - Tried yahoo and hotmail. Wil give gmail a bash.

I signed up to NZBMatrix with a hotmail account the other day mate.

Am actually enjoying using them at the moment and have downloaded a few films to watch. I'm not sure if its any quicker than torrents, but most of the torrents I use are well seeded anyway. Plus having only just got a decent broadband speed (30M) I seem to have no problem getting good speeds (2.5 to 3.5M/s) on both torrents and Usenet.

The only problem I've had so far is downloading a movie and all I ended up with was various parts with and avi.001, avi.002... which looks to me like it hasnt been reconstituted properly from the rars, but I'm not sure if thats the case. looking on the net it seems I'll have to run HJsplit/Join or something of that sort. Is this normal, or should I expect a few downloads like this, as all my others have automatically created the avi/mkv file?

Cheers