Author Topic: Big John Toshack  (Read 11239 times)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Re: Big John Toshack
« Reply #40 on: March 1, 2022, 03:16:11 pm »
The first line is Stevie Heighway's always running

Never forget his goal in the 3:2 v Everton. He announced himself and became a hero. Get well soon Tosh.

Surely the best ever derby match. Still gives me goosebumps thinking of Chrissie Lawler sticking in the winner. And how appropriate was the Stevie Heighway opening line for Tosh's anthem for that game as him and Stevie destroyed the Blues.

We're all rooting for you Tosh lad - never forget also when you came back with Swansea and pulled open your shirt to reveal the blazing red shirt and Liverbird to the Kop. Wasn't a dry eye around me. YNWA 

Offline Corbykop

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: March 2, 2022, 04:38:19 pm »
Is there any update on big Tosh have looked through all the media and don't see anything?

My boyhood hero and just praying he pulls through

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #42 on: March 2, 2022, 09:57:00 pm »
Only just seen this on Wales Online, get well soon big man, a legend in Liverpool, Cardiff and Swansea not many can say that about the latter two
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #43 on: March 2, 2022, 10:11:08 pm »
Many, many times I heard “Toshack, Keegan, goal”. It was one of the best partnerships that we had.
Hope he pulls through this.
#JFT97

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 2, 2022, 10:11:56 pm »
Many, many times I heard “Toshack, Keegan, goal”. It was one of the best partnerships that we had.
Hope he pulls through this.
"Toshack, Keegan, one nil"
"Toshack, Keegan, two nil"

I wish him a speedy recovery.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #45 on: March 2, 2022, 10:17:16 pm »

i grew up on that line and what a beautiful thing it was

get well soon big man
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #46 on: March 3, 2022, 01:16:49 am »

Sport’s finest ever commentator. The one and only. Wow.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #47 on: March 3, 2022, 10:09:04 am »
Better news from a Real Sociedad website (via Google translate)
John Toshack's state of health has improved in recent hours and, although he is still in the ICU of a Barcelona hospital, he is already breathing on his own, without the help of the mechanical device that has kept him alive since Saturday morning. afternoon. The Welshman has reacted positively after four days of sedation and although he continues to have the help of artificial oxygenation, he can now breathe on his own, which the doctors assess as satisfactory.

The former Royal Society technician [Real manager] is hospitalized with severe pneumonia caused by Covid, but his symptoms have improved compared to the serious condition he presented since Saturday, the day on which the doctors had no choice but to intubate him with very low oxygenation in blood.

A few hours before the positive evolution experienced by Toshack, his wife, Maite, pointed out that «everyone supports you; everyone calls me to give you strength and I hope they reach you and soon we will be home».

Ten days in the ICU
It is the first time that his health condition has improved since he entered on Monday, February 21. As this newspaper advanced , Toshack began to feel bad last weekend, without giving importance at first, to his discomfort. As the hours passed, he had to go to the hospital to have a checkup done. The medical part was clear: severe pneumonia from Covid, despite having the complete vaccination schedule. The same Monday he was admitted to the ICU and his clinical condition progressively worsened until Saturday, when he began to need mechanical assistance to maintain his breathing. After four days of sedation, Toshack has experienced a small improvement and, although he is still in the intensive care unit, he can breathe on his own.

Since his delicate state of health was known, there have been numerous signs of support and affection that the former Real coach has received. Starting with the txuri-urdin club itself, as well as Real Madrid, a team he also directed, and Liverpool, where the Welshman is a legend, as well as hundreds of football fans.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #48 on: March 3, 2022, 10:52:50 am »
Sport’s finest ever commentator. The one and only. Wow.

Agreed Timbo. The 'less is more' school of commentary. And a voice seemingly built purposefully for live sport.

And come on Tosh! Rise above it, like you always did.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #49 on: March 3, 2022, 11:03:56 am »
Better news from a Real Sociedad website (via Google translate)
Thanks for finding this update. Fingers crossed things moving in the right direction
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #50 on: March 4, 2022, 01:56:19 am »
Good old Tosh. Sounds encouraging. Thanks for digging out this news mate.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #51 on: March 4, 2022, 02:32:40 am »
Thankfully, that's some positive news on Tosh.

I used to love watching him and Keegan tearing defences apart.

Stick in there, big man.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #52 on: March 4, 2022, 04:07:28 am »
The first line is Stevie Heighway's always running

Never forget his goal in the 3:2 v Everton. He announced himself and became a hero. Get well soon Tosh.

Stevie Heighways always running
Kevin Keegans always scoring
Can you hear the Kopites roaring
Toshack is our King
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2022, 02:48:00 pm »
He's out of intensive care  :thumbup

'Toshack, who managed Real Madrid twice, Real Sociedad and Swansea City, is now breathing without the aid of a ventilator.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60545590

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2022, 03:03:50 pm »
That’s great news. Get better Tosh.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2022, 03:20:59 pm »
Stevie Heighways always running
Kevin Keegans always scoring
Can you hear the Kopites roaring
Toshack is our King
What an incredible song that is. What incredible players we had and continue to do so all these years later. All LFC are sending Tosh best wishes for a full recovery. YNWA.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2022, 03:36:27 pm »

'Toshack, who managed Real Madrid twice, Real Sociedad and Swansea City, is now breathing without the aid of a ventilator.'

Good news. Thanks for the update
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2022, 04:26:18 pm »

Great news and hopefully he makes a full recovery.
#JFT97

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2022, 05:01:29 pm »
I just saw this news myself.

Brilliant news.  :)

All the best for a full recovery, big man.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2022, 06:31:36 pm »
With apologies to the Four Yorkshiremen sketch.  ;)

'... and you try and tell the kids of today that Keegan, Heighway and Toshack were the Salah, Mané and Firmino of that generation ... and they won't believe you.'

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2022, 06:33:53 pm »
With apologies to the Four Yorkshiremen sketch.  ;)

'... and you try and tell the kids of today that Keegan, Heighway and Toshack were the Salah, Mané and Firmino of that generation ... and they won't believe you.'

They certainly won more. :D

So far.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2022, 07:00:56 pm »
Enjoy.  8)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YwdXy90JTVo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YwdXy90JTVo</a>

The scenes on the Spion Kop after some of those goals too.  ;D

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2022, 07:47:22 pm »
Great news that he's out of Intensive Care, fingers crossed he makes a full recovery
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2022, 08:13:35 pm »
Brilliant news!!! Just before my time but what a player he was for both club and country. Amazing how he never managed the club as was linked a few times but for various reasons it never materialised as he was quite happy abroad. Get well Sir as an absolute legend.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2022, 10:36:54 pm »
Superb news he's recovering. I nearly wrote an 'early days legend', but as many Reds need to realise we've had legends and hero's for many decades.
Tosh has proper credibility to claim the status.

The Reds have had previous glory, but John Toshack is fundamentally part of the inception of the greatness we enjoy today.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2022, 10:45:11 pm »
Fantastic news!

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2022, 11:04:00 pm »
Great news!

Brilliant news!!! Just before my time but what a player he was for both club and country. Amazing how he never managed the club as was linked a few times but for various reasons it never materialised as he was quite happy abroad. Get well Sir as an absolute legend.

Yeah same. Didn't see him as a player (watched that video posted above, thanks SoS :)) but always comes across as knowing what he's talking about when it comes to football. Him being part of the commentary for the 2005 Champions League final (along with Graham Taylor) is really enjoyable to listen to.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2022, 11:23:46 pm »
Get well soon, Big John.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2022, 11:26:02 pm »
Great news! Get well soon John.

Online jymbojetset

• Anny Roader
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2022, 03:52:39 pm »
This looks like it could be a good watch.

John Toshack started his career at Cardiff City before joining Liverpool in 1970 for a then club-record £110,000
Picture the scenario. Gareth Bale is out of contract and, having won everything there is to win as a player at Real Madrid, the great Welsh forward fancies trying his hand at management.

Injuries are a growing concern but he's still got something to offer, so he takes the chance to become the player-manager of a fourth-tier club in his homeland, Newport County.

So far, so fanciful. Yet while football might have transformed almost beyond recognition over the past four decades, this is as close as a modern allegory comes to the remarkable story of John Toshack's time at Swansea City, the subject of upcoming feature film Tosh.

The year is 1978. Like fellow Cardiff native Bale, Toshack is coming to the end of a glittering spell with one of the world's most iconic clubs. In eight years at Liverpool, Toshack has amassed three league titles, a European Cup, two Uefa Cups and an FA Cup.

As he approaches his 29th birthday, injuries are beginning to take their toll on the imposing Wales striker when he receives a phone call from Malcolm Struel, chairman of Fourth Division side Swansea.

Alan Curtis, one of the Swans' few star players at the time, takes up the story.

"I had just broken into the Wales squad and there was some sort of speculation that John was going to take over at Swansea," he says.

"I approached him and said: 'John, what's this talk of you becoming Swans manager?' And he said: 'No, absolutely no chance whatsoever.'

"Of course, I relayed that when I got back, he's told me categorically he's not going to come. And then literally the following day, he actually walks through the dressing room door as our new manager.

"The whole place, never mind the club, the whole city went football crazy.

"Our gates were OK - 5,000 or 6,000 - and then all of a sudden, John takes over, we are up to 18,000.

"It was such an exciting time, not only for us as players, but for the supporters and for the city."

John Toshack (left) and Alan Curtis (right) celebrate a goal for Wales
John Toshack (left) and Alan Curtis (right) played together for Wales as well as Swansea City
Toshack had an instant impact. Having transformed his players' training methods, diets and drinking habits, he led Swansea to promotion in his first season.

In his second campaign, Toshack convinced several of his former Liverpool team-mates, such as Ian Callaghan and Tommy Smith, to join the club in the Third Division.

A second successive promotion followed, sealed on the final day of the season as Toshack himself scored the winning goal against Chesterfield.

"Some people have got a charisma and a presence about them," says Curtis. "Any time John walked into the changing room or any room, whatever conversations were going on, everything stopped. You took in every word that he said.

"From the first meeting, he talked about his aims and ambition. We probably would have got promotion that year anyway out of the Fourth Division, but John was talking beyond that and he wanted to get the club in the First Division within four to five years.

"In your mind, you're thinking: 'The First Division? The club have never been in the First Division. What is he talking about?'

"But he had this huge belief and this confidence in his ability, and he was more than true to his word."

After a season to consolidate in the Second Division, by May 1981 Swansea had got themselves into a position where victory at Preston would take them to the top flight for the first time.

Toshack delved into his contacts book once more and got the legendary former Liverpool manager Bill Shankly to deliver the pre-match team talk at Deepdale. It had the desired effect as the Swans won 3-1.

"I think we took about 10,000 supporters up there," Curtis recalls. "Although I'm sure I've spoken to about 20,000 supporters who reckon they were there."

A mere three years and two months after taking the job, Toshack had guided Swansea from the Fourth Division to the First Division, to which Shankly said at the time: "He's done a remarkable job. I would say he's possibly manager of the century."

Swansea took to the top flight with a flourish, thrashing Leeds United 5-1 in their first match and climbing to the top of the table by February.

Toshack was awarded an MBE midway through the season and, although the Swans' improbable title challenge fell short, their sixth-place finish remains the highest in the club's history.

John Toshack (left) and Alan Curtis (right)
Alan Curtis (right) was a member of John Toshack's coaching staff when he managed Wales
The good times did not last. Swansea were relegated the following season and, as financial constraints took hold after heavy spending under Toshack, the Swans suffered a second successive relegation to the Third Division. Toshack had left by then and, by 1986, Swansea were back in the bottom tier.

Toshack went on to enjoy a distinguished managerial career with several clubs around the world, including two spells at Real Madrid - where he won a league title - as well as two stints in charge of Wales.

Now 73 years old, Toshack is retired and resting at home in Spain, having recovered from pneumonia and coronavirus which led to him being hospitalised in February.

"It was a scary time, especially when he was on a ventilator and struggling to breathe," says Curtis.

"You have a couple of deep thoughts but thankfully he's well on the mend, he's back home and certainly a lot healthier than he was."

Curtis and his former Swansea team-mates will be at the Swansea.com Stadium on Friday night for the premiere of Tosh, a chance to reminisce and relive those golden years.

"We saw each other on the filming days and it was great to catch up. We tend to keep in touch but we're all looking forward to the premiere," Curtis says.

"That period, going from the Fourth Division to the First, they were fantastic times.

"They were the best days, and I would say I speak for all the players during that time. They were the most memorable times of our careers."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61308350

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 2, 2022, 11:01:01 am »
That was really enjoyable.  Thank you for sharing.  What a legend Tosh is!

Agreed. He's still desperate to get on a pitch at 72 - ' ... if we were 4-0 up with ten minutes to go ...' what a character  ;D

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 2, 2022, 05:24:41 pm »
Mods Could this be moved to the main forum temporarily deserves a bit more visibility , great documentary that lots of great memories . Lovely moment were he recalls the song the kop sang too him , made him emotional

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Oh Jimmy Jimmy

• Main Stander
« Reply #75 on: November 2, 2022, 08:58:06 pm »
Just watched the Amazon “ Tosh” documentary and what a delight. Clearly filmed by two Jacks who experienced it all in the 70s / early 80s and who loved the guy. Great linkage to Shanks and some quality Welsh TV Friday night burred footage. The only thing missing was Hugh Johns!

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #76 on: November 3, 2022, 02:41:59 pm »
Mods Could this be moved to the main forum temporarily deserves a bit more visibility , great documentary that lots of great memories . Lovely moment were he recalls the song the kop sang too him , made him emotional
“Best days of my life, without doubt”, and he had some pretty sensational days AFTER he left Liverpool!

My missus, who knows or cares very little about football, still sings that ‘Toshack is our King’ line whenever she hears men of Harlech. Makes me smile every time.

I don’t think I realised how close he’d come to managing us. He thought it was a done deal.

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2022, 01:08:49 pm »
Watched a few doc's on Tosh recently, comes across that he really wanted to manage us and spent all of his managerial career waiting for the call, but sadly it never came.  Would of been interesting to see what he would have done with us if he got the job after Kenny left.
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline Corbykop

• Main Stander
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2024, 10:40:07 am »
Any body hear if Tosh is now ok after that Covid issue? Believe he lives in Barca now?

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2024, 08:59:54 am »
30th March 1976. The start of something special - we conquered Europe year after year.