Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 524159 times)

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
Re: Welcome (back) to Liverpool, Joel Matip!
« Reply #1960 on: February 25, 2019, 01:01:50 pm »
Hansenesque yesterday, hope the shite cynical challenge on him by Herrera was what caused is own injury.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1961 on: February 25, 2019, 01:09:22 pm »
Loved that run. Less so the clumsy own goal that wasn't. It wasn't because he'd kept his line, as had the rest, so that's something.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #1962 on: February 25, 2019, 01:16:32 pm »
He's slowly becoming a leader of this team. He see's space and runs through it sometimes.  He's not a dominant quick defender, but he is pretty decent. Thank god we have him. thats three cleansheets in 3 games.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #1963 on: February 25, 2019, 01:26:00 pm »
his position to lose now
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1964 on: February 25, 2019, 03:09:42 pm »
No it's not, it's a statement of facts.

We were playing against a one-legged Rashford yesterday, we had 2/3rds of possession and they needed to make three subs int he first half. We were lucky not to concede an own goal, Alisson did brilliant off his line to deny Lingaard and Smalling could/should have scored at the end.

I'm not sure that's a game where anyone other than Alisson stood out in defence.

How were we lucky not to concede an own goal? We purposefully hold a high line to catch players offside. When players are caught offside there is nothing lucky involved, it's planned for and drilled in to the players every day.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1965 on: February 25, 2019, 03:11:30 pm »
How were we lucky not to concede an own goal? We purposefully hold a high line to catch players offside. When players are caught offside there is nothing lucky involved, it's planned for and drilled in to the players every day.

I agree with you, but he was extremely lucky against Bayern as he did the same thing except it hit Becker in the chest.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1966 on: February 25, 2019, 03:15:11 pm »
I agree with you, but he was extremely lucky against Bayern as he did the same thing except it hit Becker in the chest.

Yes that's true but that's one mistake, which didn't cost us, over how many games?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1967 on: February 25, 2019, 03:18:51 pm »
Yes that's true but that's one mistake, which didn't cost us, over how many games?

Point taken, but he needs to cut it out. His clearance was wrong in both instances.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1968 on: February 25, 2019, 03:19:14 pm »

Although if you look at the one freekick they took where we caught Sanchez just offsides, Matip is the only defender that breaks the line and goes backwards towards goal.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1969 on: February 25, 2019, 03:22:12 pm »
Although if you look at the one freekick they took where we caught Sanchez just offsides, Matip is the only defender that breaks the line and goes backwards towards goal.

I'm not saying he's Baresi or anything but i'm sure you'll find instances of any number of players breaking the line at some stage. If they're still catching them offside then the line is working in my eyes.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1970 on: February 25, 2019, 04:59:09 pm »
The best he's played since he first joined.

15 months left on hie deal, keep himself fit and in this form there's no reason he can't earn a new contract.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1971 on: February 25, 2019, 05:13:02 pm »
Matip's main issue since he joined us hasn't been ability. He's a decent if unspectacular defender, capable of being our #2 or #3 CB. His problem has been staying free of little injuries. He's been brittle.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1972 on: February 25, 2019, 05:18:40 pm »
Matip's main issue since he joined us hasn't been ability. He's a decent if unspectacular defender, capable of being our #2 or #3 CB. His problem has been staying free of little injuries. He's been brittle.

Is Lovren's record actually worse in terms of % of games missed through injury? Feels like it might be
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #1973 on: February 25, 2019, 07:40:15 pm »
Is Lovren's record actually worse in terms of % of games missed through injury? Feels like it might be
Not trying to avoid the question, they're probably similar to be honest. I think Klopp prefers Dejan to Joel, but no reason why that couldn't change. Think they will be fighting it out for 3rd choice next season.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1974 on: February 25, 2019, 08:05:27 pm »
I think early on Matip's injury record was worse. But you're right, Lovren's catching up, at the very least.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1975 on: February 25, 2019, 09:01:10 pm »
I think early on Matip's injury record was worse. But you're right, Lovren's catching up, at the very least.

The problem for me isn't either one of them individually, but the combination of the two, both being out frequently with niggly injuries means over reliance on the other two and then if one of the first choice pair goes down (like Gomez has) we are stuck putting Fab (or Winjaldham last year) in there which is why I think one of them may get replaced in the summer.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1976 on: February 25, 2019, 10:15:34 pm »
On the replay with Bayern it looked like it was going wide the Matip clearance. Alisson made sure it wasnt going anywhere though.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1977 on: February 25, 2019, 10:18:20 pm »
On the replay with Bayern it looked like it was going wide the Matip clearance. Alisson made sure it wasnt going anywhere though.

Aye it was good defending

Alas though, he still looks much more clinical putting it in his own net. He gets in the opposition box and all calmness disappears!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #1978 on: February 25, 2019, 11:04:34 pm »
Missed the game . how was his defending especially in the air? And chances we prefer to keep him over Lovren in summer? ( having two CB who arent reliable in terms of fitness is a bit rich)

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1979 on: February 27, 2019, 03:56:19 am »
Played against United 3 times for Liverpool, clean sheet every time.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1980 on: February 27, 2019, 06:31:09 am »
He's playing well. His mishit clearance against Bayern was going wide and he wasn't lucky to not concede an own goal we held a line we have been all season catching teams out every single game.

Now it seems Carra's words against West Ham which I think is the only time we have been caught out using the high line have got into a few peoples heads.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1981 on: February 27, 2019, 06:43:55 am »
Doing okay just feel he gets bullied sometimes and just needs to be a bit stronger at times.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1982 on: February 27, 2019, 12:15:49 pm »
Doing okay just feel he gets bullied sometimes and just needs to be a bit stronger at times.

Past few games I think he's looked a lot more aggressive, it's as if he's finally realised he's 6'5. Love how he calls out divers after every challenge he makes as well  ;D

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1983 on: February 27, 2019, 12:17:14 pm »
Past few games I think he's looked a lot more aggressive, it's as if he's finally realised he's 6'5. Love how he calls out divers after every challenge he makes as well  ;D

I suppose a run in the side is doing his confidence a lot of good. Fair play to him.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #1984 on: February 27, 2019, 12:24:41 pm »
I think he has stepped up tremendously when called upon. Great lad, hope he scores a bullet header soon.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1985 on: February 27, 2019, 01:57:49 pm »
He's a better dribbler than most of our midfield :D

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1986 on: February 27, 2019, 02:25:10 pm »
He's a better dribbler than most of our midfield :D

And progressive passer  ;D

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #1987 on: February 27, 2019, 10:30:42 pm »
Brilliant game from him tonight I thought.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1988 on: February 27, 2019, 10:31:29 pm »
Brilliant game from him tonight I thought.

I think he has been good recently, shows you what a run of games can do
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1989 on: February 27, 2019, 10:33:30 pm »
He's always been good after a run of games, it's just hard keeping out there.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1990 on: February 27, 2019, 11:19:03 pm »
Really hope he can stay fit for an extended period because he's been really very good. Has formed quite a good partnership with VVD. I think his ball distribution and carrying are totally underrated. Lets hope he can carry on this way.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #1991 on: February 27, 2019, 11:27:32 pm »
He's looking a lot more assured now, a run of games has helped him. Him & Virgil look a good duo no complaints.

Online Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1992 on: February 27, 2019, 11:45:54 pm »
He was flat out excellent today.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Gazza-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1993 on: February 27, 2019, 11:48:23 pm »
Since coming in he hasn't put on a foot wrong. Well in Joel.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1994 on: February 27, 2019, 11:49:07 pm »
So Van dijk can go with Lovren, Gomez or Matip and they all look world class (esp. VVD-Gomez). So the next question is, what if VVD isn’t there?

Have we seen Matip without VVD this season? Versus Bayern I guess? (i missed that game!)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1995 on: February 27, 2019, 11:50:27 pm »
Great tonight. Been pretty good for a while. Vital job he's been doing.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1996 on: February 28, 2019, 12:08:32 am »
So Van dijk can go with Lovren, Gomez or Matip and they all look world class (esp. VVD-Gomez). So the next question is, what if VVD isn’t there?

Have we seen Matip without VVD this season? Versus Bayern I guess? (i missed that game!)

Yeah and he was great in that game because he's a good defender in his own right.

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1997 on: February 28, 2019, 09:03:35 am »
I want to see him score with one of those runs straight through the middle! For some reason his running style reminds me of Crouchie’s.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:05:40 am by farawayred »
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1998 on: February 28, 2019, 09:48:44 am »
I want to see him score with one of those runs straight through the middle! For some reason his running style reminds me of Crouchie’s.

Not even suggesting he's in the same class. But his runs remind me of Beckenbauer. If he could only unleash shots like him he'd be deadly.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #1999 on: February 28, 2019, 09:54:21 am »
Matip seems to have got better the more he has played.
Still think he makes a few poor clearances, typically when trying to head or pass the ball in one move, but he has improved loads in the last few weeks.