Author Topic: The Paradise Papers  (Read 7318 times)

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Paradise Papers
« Reply #40 on: November 7, 2017, 12:28:52 am »
It's legal.  I don't think that is even up for discussion - they even admitted that on Panorama.

None of this is new either.

It has been happening for many, many years - actually now it is more regulated than in the past so actually the 'dirty money' has been minimised massively with the extra compliance checks and regulations.

Now certain individuals might have breached the rules of the legal trusts and tax vehicles, they are the ones who need to be dealt with.  They aren't meat to control these trusts, the trustees are in the jurisdiction where the companies are.  But this is why all these companies are highly regulated to ensure that wrong doing doesn't occur and when it does, action is taken. 

The structures are perfectly legal though and I don't think closing the loopholes will do nothing but hinder all of the UK - with loses of jobs, big business probably leaving and then the UK are in a bigger mess.

The Labour party are in tomorrows papers showing to be using these loopholes themselves and they are one of the main drivers behind all this.

Maybe the Telegraph are wrong in what they are reporting?  But that doesn't seem to be a problem when Panorama do this with false accusations.  Maybe they are right - then it is a touch hypocritical.

Maybe the UK would be better off debating and focussing on real issues which might help benefit this country.  Instead of this trial by media, from hacked information and which if the loopholes are closed would probably hinder the UK more than benefit them.
Are you saying they said the Mrs Brown scheme was legal.? if so. no. they asked a woman tax expert for a opinion. she said.it's a tax dodge. "I don't know how they've got away with it for so long"
You may have a point about big businesses moving but I doubt it, their tax avoidance schemes are a part of business. it's the profits avoidance schemes that need cracking down on and this is why it's so important to act as one and remain in the EU, big business won't make any profits to pay tax if they walk away from the EU.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #41 on: November 7, 2017, 04:23:35 am »
My word. So we should pander to big business so they don't pay their fair share so we ultimately get some metaphorical crumbs from their feast?

Trickle-down economics does not work. They should pay their fair share on every penny they earn. Close every single loophole and tax every penny. Increase powers of financial penalties to be more than that saved and powers of asset seizure.

Who gives a fuck where the information came from? Unless it's false information, the source of the truth is irrelevant.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #42 on: November 7, 2017, 06:45:32 am »
KK, if big business wants to fuck off because its taxed fairly then it can fuck off. Another business will step up. remember a profit is still a profit. They always use the 'we'll leave if you tax us more' argument, I want to see it. Stop kow towing to dodgers and cheats.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #43 on: November 7, 2017, 06:49:07 am »
My word. So we should pander to big business so they don't pay their fair share so we ultimately get some metaphorical crumbs from their feast?

Trickle-down economics does not work. They should pay their fair share on every penny they earn. Close every single loophole and tax every penny. Increase powers of financial penalties to be more than that saved and powers of asset seizure.

Who gives a fuck where the information came from? Unless it's false information, the source of the truth is irrelevant.
https://qz.com/429487/a-new-imf-study-debunks-trickle-down-economics/

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: November 7, 2017, 08:15:51 am »
Maybe the UK would be better off debating and focussing on real issues which might help benefit this country.  Instead of this trial by media, from hacked information and which if the loopholes are closed would probably hinder the UK more than benefit them.

Focussing on real issues? This is a real issue. It is probably the single biggest issue why our public services are under such a threat, why the NHS can't get enough money, why councils up and down the country are being destroyed financially. Because there isn't enough tax income. Obviously, the Tory's austerity doesn't help, but ultimately there isn't enough money coming in.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 7, 2017, 08:34:21 am »
Amazing that we still have people here tugging their forelocks at their “betters” and defending this. If you watch the programme then you’d have seen many schemes were highly questionable and experts concluded in some cases they were illegal.

The bigger question is the collusion between Govts. and multinationals/billionaires etc. who use their wealth/power to buy influence to help create these loopholes in the first place and generally take the piss out the system for their benefit. Yes it’s technically legal, so what? We accept it? Why should we continually kowtow to the morally bankrupt elite?
« Last Edit: November 7, 2017, 08:36:35 am by Bunter »

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #46 on: November 7, 2017, 08:35:59 am »
Exactly why this all feels like a non story to me. Were there any ramifications for anyone in this country from the Panama Papers? It should be a huge deal but people simply don't give a fuck.
Like when Cameron was caught out, with his expenses and with his daddy’s dodgy offshore dealings, stall for time and then say it was in the past and it isn’t happening any more. Osborne was another one with offshore trusts.

This shit about loaning yourself money instead of paying yourself to dodge any tax at all is really obscene
« Last Edit: November 7, 2017, 08:38:06 am by 12C »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 7, 2017, 08:55:24 am »
Good accountants like good lawyers mean the rich pay less then the rest of us.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: November 7, 2017, 08:59:38 am »
They are all at it. All of them and I include Corbyn in that.

Fuck the lot of them. The rules won't change because the ones who make the rules are the ones who avoid tax themselves.

Disgusting.

And i get the argument that they may want to leave. What I think should happen is rates lowered but if they don't pay it they get huge penalties and all these loopholes closed.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2017, 09:07:35 am by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 7, 2017, 10:10:27 am »
The question is, how long will the masses continue to accept the thievery of the super-rich?

We chickened out on a revolution when we had the chance, and it's probably too late to cut people's heads off now.  But I still do believe there needs to be continued protest about this, money cannot keep being taken out of society like it has been, it just isn't sustainable for a functioning society.

It's disgusting.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #50 on: November 7, 2017, 10:34:36 am »
In the US, there's a law that says that as long as you're a US citizen, no matter where in the world you work/earn/live, you pay the basic US Federal Tax.

The UK could and should adopt something similar. If you are a UK citizen, you have to pay at least the UK tax rate(s) applicable to your income. Any taxes paid in the country you currently domicile in can be offset.

(eg, let's say for ease that the UK tax rate is 40%. UKCitizen lives in CountryA where tax rate is 20%. They pay 20% of their taxable earnings to CountryA, and 20% to the UK)

Anyone found to be mis-declaring their overseas income faces criminal charges (automatic custodial sentence for all but the most modest offences) plus having to repay every penny of tax dodged, plus interest, plus a surcharge of, say 20% of the dodged tax.

To avoid having to adhere to the new tax rules, a person must relinquish the UK citizenship - but will have no automatic rights to live in the UK, etc, and cannot re-apply for citizenship ever.

Time to get tough on these fucking parasites.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #51 on: November 7, 2017, 11:00:01 am »
Bono part owns a shopping mall in Lithuania?
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 7, 2017, 11:08:15 am »
Are you saying they said the Mrs Brown scheme was legal.? if so. no. they asked a woman tax expert for a opinion. she said.it's a tax dodge. "I don't know how they've got away with it for so long"

Yes, they are showing emails, examples of the schemes being breached and therefore that is wrong and ilegal.

But the actual tax structures are legal if done correctly.

I care about the whole UK.  I want to see it all thrive.  If that means attracting big businesses to employ millions of people who pay their taxes - then yes we do want to keep them here.

I think your last sentence is very concerning.  Ilegal hacking should not be acceptable.

KK, if big business wants to fuck off because its taxed fairly then it can fuck off. Another business will step up. remember a profit is still a profit. They always use the 'we'll leave if you tax us more' argument, I want to see it. Stop kow towing to dodgers and cheats.

I think that's naive when these big businesses will move where they can save millions.  They won't stay where they are getting far more than other jurisdictions.

Stop the dodgers and cheats - it won't stop.  As said they'll merely move to other locations where it will be acceptable.  The UK don't control the whole world.

Cash in hand deals are in effect cheating the system to pay tax.  Let's not pretend people don't do that.

It's one thing being all moral, but it is occurring everywhere and I don't think closing the loopholes in the UK will help public services.  It will just means big companies leaving and huge job losses.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 7, 2017, 11:10:59 am »
Snip.

Sounds great in theory.

But in practice, Tax Laws are highly complex and loopholes will always exists.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #54 on: November 7, 2017, 11:15:17 am »
Today I learned.

People only do business in the UK because they can avoid Tax.

I hope they continue to do so, I wouldn't want to lose my job.
:D

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 7, 2017, 11:26:17 am »
Today I learned.

People only do business in the UK because they can avoid Tax.

I hope they continue to do so, I wouldn't want to lose my job.

Lots of businesses do only reside here for tax reasons, yes.

I don't work for any of these companies - but I know many people who do and they'd be a huge number of job losses too.

Would those job losses mean the rich would start paying the tax?  No, they'll merely find other ways to avoid paying less tax just as they have done a long time.

The trial by media, I also find disturbing. 

If the UK really think this is the best thing to do (I strongly disagree), then go about it the right way.  Have the discussion and do it right.

You don't ilegally hack data and then do this whole thing via the media, when they are only showing one side of the argument and presenting plenty of false information and acusations.

Not just talking about The Paradise Papers here, I'm talking about all big issues now days and the media are making guilt judgements on people, businesses, governments etc - without fair investigations or trials.

If Louis Hamilton is using his Private Jet for fun and not business, which is in breach of the tax agreement, then the structure should be void and that is why these tax vehicles are regulated.  So when his situation is reviewed, then can see if what he did was legal or not.  But all this should be done behind closed doors and when there is proof and outcome then it should be in the media. 

Ilegally hacking and doing witchhunts - I think it wrong and can damage repuations wrongly.  Cliff Richard found this out recently.  His reputation is shattered when he has been found not guilty.  But the media have already destroyed his image due to that trial by media - which is totally unfair.  The same i occuring here!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 7, 2017, 11:29:47 am »
Look at John Oliver's show last Sunday about jobs.  How companies are given ridiculous tax breaks for creating next to nothing economically.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 7, 2017, 11:31:39 am »
If these individuals don’t want to pay tax in the UK take their passport off them and renounce their citizenship!
If a company doesn’t want to pay tax in the uk, sieze all assets and let another company take its place
Who will pay tax!

Simple they will soon fall into line!

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 7, 2017, 11:34:37 am »
Look at John Oliver's show last Sunday about jobs.  How companies are given ridiculous tax breaks for creating next to nothing economically.

I guess the argument was - They save X money in Tax but only generate X money to the country?

I think that argument is simplist if true.

As it doesn't factor in the X amount of jobs that employs to deal with the Tax savings and this huge number of employment generate Tax from all those employees.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2017, 11:39:33 am by Klippity Klopp »

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #59 on: November 7, 2017, 11:43:26 am »
I guess the argument was - They save X money in Tax but only generate X money to the country?

As it doesn't factor in the X amount of jobs that employs to deal with the Tax savings and this huge number of employment generate Tax from all those employers.

But aside from 'my mates work for Tax dodgers' you have absolutely nothing to back up what you're saying. Anecdotal at best.

You say these Tax dodgers are creating jobs and if they leave, people will lose jobs.

You don't factor in that increased Tax will pump more money back into the country which will create more jobs and higher pay rises, especially in the public sector. What about the competition for these companies? If one decides to jump ship to somewhere they can avoid Tax, they leave room in the market for legitimate companies to expand and take on new employees.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 7, 2017, 11:43:26 am »

As it doesn't factor in the X amount of jobs that employs to deal with the Tax savings and this huge number of employment generate Tax from all those employees.

From experience, it could take one accountant to come up with a tax avoidance plan with a few administrators to keep the paperwork up to date.

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: November 7, 2017, 11:47:27 am »
Yes, they are showing emails, examples of the schemes being breached and therefore that is wrong and ilegal.

But the actual tax structures are legal if done correctly.

I care about the whole UK.  I want to see it all thrive.  If that means attracting big businesses to employ millions of people who pay their taxes - then yes we do want to keep them here.

I think your last sentence is very concerning.  Ilegal hacking should not be acceptable.

I think that's naive when these big businesses will move where they can save millions.  They won't stay where they are getting far more than other jurisdictions.

Stop the dodgers and cheats - it won't stop.  As said they'll merely move to other locations where it will be acceptable. The UK don't control the whole world.

Cash in hand deals are in effect cheating the system to pay tax.  Let's not pretend people don't do that.

It's one thing being all moral, but it is occurring everywhere and I don't think closing the loopholes in the UK will help public services.  It will just means big companies leaving and huge job losses.
Has Panarama explained how they got hold of this information.whistle blower or hacker?
I don't really care how they got hold of it myself, these sort of schemes would never come to light without someone digging deeper than the tax dodgers want.
There are a few types of tax dodges for companies, the main 2 are final profits tax dodges and tax dodges that reduce profits in one country which will result in improving the profits in another part of the company in low tax country.
All these companies have to make a profit before they can pay tax so they will always sell here.
I agree we can't act alone to fight tax dodges but that's exactly what were going to do when we leave the EU in 2019. why do you think Corbyns been arguing about the Torys turning us into a low wage tax haven.
The EU will bring out laws to tackle tax evasion and theres not much these companies can do about it if they want to do business in the SM+CU. all EU countries revenue will increase dramatically.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: November 7, 2017, 11:52:29 am »
They’re not doing it out the goodness of their heart. It’s akin to blackmail really. The answer and attitude of “ahh well what can you do..?” is fucking pitiful. Seemingly we shoud be thankful these big businesses have given people employment on barely liveable crap wages. It’s pure and simple greed.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2017, 12:37:17 pm by Bunter »

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: November 7, 2017, 12:01:11 pm »
But aside from 'my mates work for Tax dodgers' you have absolutely nothing to back up what you're saying. Anecdotal at best.

You say these Tax dodgers are creating jobs and if they leave, people will lose jobs.

You don't factor in that increased Tax will pump more money back into the country which will create more jobs and higher pay rises, especially in the public sector. What about the competition for these companies? If one decides to jump ship to somewhere they can avoid Tax, they leave room in the market for legitimate companies to expand and take on new employees.

I am giving reasons, you might disagree - but to say I have nothing to back up what I am saying when I am given examples and reasons, just shows your ignorance.

Increased Tax might create more jobs for people - Tax won't increase, that's my whole point and shows you're not reading my posts fully.

Equally businesses will move, so more job losses. 

These are legitamte companies, as what they are doing is legal, whether you like it or not - IT IS!

From experience, it could take one accountant to come up with a tax avoidance plan with a few administrators to keep the paperwork up to date.

Possibly.  Depends on the deal. 

But that's one deal - three people working on it (probably more in reality, as the administrators will have managers - the accountant produce reports by administrators and reviewed by others etc etc.)

But either way - it's employment.

Has Panarama explained how they got hold of this information.whistle blower or hacker?

I don't really care how they got hold of it myself, these sort of schemes would never come to light without someone digging deeper than the tax dodgers want.

There are a few types of tax dodges for companies, the main 2 are final profits tax dodges and tax dodges that reduce profits in one country which will result in improving the profits in another part of the company in low tax country.

All these companies have to make a profit before they can pay tax so they will always sell here.

I agree we can't act alone to fight tax dodges but that's exactly what were going to do when we leave the EU in 2019. why do you think Corbyns been arguing about the Torys turning us into a low wage tax haven.

The EU will bring out laws to tackle tax evasion and theres not much these companies can do about it if they want to do business in the SM+CU. all EU countries revenue will increase dramatically.

It was from an ilegal hack and the BBC News are saying this now.

I just find this all hypocritical.

Trademen do cash in hand deals all the time - but they have a go at others saving tax, when they do it.

Labour acuse Tories and the rich of using these schemes to save money, but they have been found doing it themselves.

I'm neither Tory or Labour for what it's worth I don't believe in aligning myself to a party - I think party politics is flawed and I give my opinions on each different subject on what I believe is right and best for the country not what a particular sides feels everybody should follow.

EDITED COMMENT.

Now this is exactly what Panorama are doing - trial by media.  I don't think it is fair and I don't agree in ilegal hacking or their false accusations or the way they are going about it.

I see lots of hypocrasy though and what is ilegal was the hacking, not the saving of tax.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2017, 12:50:06 pm by Klippity Klopp »

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #64 on: November 7, 2017, 12:08:25 pm »
I am giving reasons, you might disagree - but to say I have nothing to back up what I am saying when I am given examples and reasons, just shows your ignorance.

Increased Tax might create more jobs for people - Tax won't increase, that's my whole point and shows you're not reading my posts fully.

These are legitamte companies, as what they are doing is legal, whether you like it or not - IT IS!

You call me ignorant.

Then liken The Sun manufacturing shit about Hillsborough to make a point on leaked information which is now in the public domain for all those to see.

Sure thing bud  :wave

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: November 7, 2017, 12:11:00 pm »
Sounds great in theory.

But in practice, Tax Laws are highly complex and loopholes will always exists.

Of course loopholes will still exist - unless you have some authoritarian regime monitoring every monetary transaction, there will still be the opportunity for people to try to cheat the tax system.

Currently, these cheats are legal. Seeking to make individual cheats/loopholes illegal would be massively time consuming and just make work for pernicious tax accountants who'll seek ways around legislation that would by definition be too specific.

The answer is to not seek to close the loopholes, but place a legal obligation upon citizens to declare the income, and make all income taxable. Beef up the penalties for when caught and most would be dissuaded from trying to cheat the tax system. There will inevitably be those who do continue to try and you're not going to catch everyone - but the increased level of Treasury revenue would be massive anyway (and perhaps employ, using just a tiny percentage of the increased revenues, a huge team to work on tracking down cheats)

Shrugging one's shoulders and saying "Why bother? They'll just find other ways." is not an option.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 7, 2017, 12:13:15 pm »
You call me ignorant.

Then liken The Sun manufacturing shit about Hillsborough to make a point on leaked information which is now in the public domain for all those to see.

Sure thing bud  :wave

Only called you ignorant because you said I was not backing up what I was saying.  Not because you had to agree with me, just to clarify.

I am talking about the initial and wrong - Trail by Media that The Sun did.  It was wrong and now thankfully we have The Truth out there.  But as LFC fans we fought for years, the right ways to get the right outcome.

I don't believe in ilegal hacking, I don't believe in Trial by Media.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #67 on: November 7, 2017, 12:14:59 pm »
The problem is that will punish the UK citizens who move abroad and aren’t multi billionaires (or even multi millionaires) as they will continue to find and use loopholes to avoid paying the full amount of tax. Whilst Miss Smith who moved to Australia to be a nurse will end up paying tax in the UK when she is half way around the world.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: November 7, 2017, 12:16:24 pm »
Legality doesn’t make something ‘okay’. 

Rape within marriage wasn’t a crime until 1991(?), for example. 

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: November 7, 2017, 12:18:06 pm »
Only called you ignorant because you said I was not backing up what I was saying.  Not because you had to agree with me, just to clarify.

I am talking about the initial and wrong - Trail by Media that The Sun did.  It was wrong and now thankfully we have The Truth out there.  But as LFC fans we fought for years, the right ways to get the right outcome.

The S*n told lies, so don’t equate what they did to Panorama’s investigative journalism.  The latter is a good example of the good a free press can do.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #70 on: November 7, 2017, 12:18:07 pm »

I find it hard to buy into trial by media when there's nothing inherently illegal going on. It's not like people haven't had the chance to reply to the findings. The reactions from those questions tells you everything.

And lets not forget the many wrapped up in this who aren't responsible for jobs. Actors, the Monarchy, US and Russian Links. Possible breach of FA rules regarding Everton, Tory donors etc.

There's a lot more to it.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 7, 2017, 12:18:30 pm »
Of course loopholes will still exist - unless you have some authoritarian regime monitoring every monetary transaction, there will still be the opportunity for people to try to cheat the tax system.

Currently, these cheats are legal. Seeking to make individual cheats/loopholes illegal would be massively time consuming and just make work for pernicious tax accountants who'll seek ways around legislation that would by definition be too specific.

The answer is to not seek to close the loopholes, but place a legal obligation upon citizens to declare the income, and make all income taxable. Beef up the penalties for when caught and most would be dissuaded from trying to cheat the tax system. There will inevitably be those who do continue to try and you're not going to catch everyone - but the increased level of Treasury revenue would be massive anyway (and perhaps employ, using just a tiny percentage of the increased revenues, a huge team to work on tracking down cheats)

Shrugging one's shoulders and saying "Why bother? They'll just find other ways." is not an option.

Agree with your first two paragraghs.

Your 3rd paragraph - I think that is what the situation is anyway.  So you're not really changing anything, that obligation is now, just people window dress their money and will continue to do so as it is legal and nothing will change.

The last sentence, is just the reality though.  I'm more focussed on what's best for the UK - letting these people reside here or risk them going elsewhere.  I think the former makes more sense for the Economy.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 7, 2017, 12:19:16 pm »
The S*n told lies, so don’t equate what they did to Panorama’s investigative journalism.  The latter is a good example of the good a free press can do.

Panorama told lies.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 7, 2017, 12:20:28 pm »
Legality doesn’t make something ‘okay’. 

Rape within marriage wasn’t a crime until 1991(?), for example.

I agree.

This is about ethics, whether it is morally right, rather than being legal or not.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 7, 2017, 12:22:09 pm »

Possibly.  Depends on the deal. 

But that's one deal - three people working on it (probably more in reality, as the administrators will have managers - the accountant produce reports by administrators and reviewed by others etc etc.)

But either way - it's employment.

It was from an ilegal hack and the BBC News are saying this now.

I just find this all hypocritical.

Trademen do cash in hand deals all the time - but they have a go at others saving tax, when they do it.

Labour acuse Tories and the rich of using these schemes to save money, but they have been found doing it themselves.

I'm neither Tory or Labour for what it's worth I don't believe in aligning myself to a party - I think party politics is flawed and I give my opinions on each different subject on what I believe is right and best for the country not what a particular sides feels everybody should follow.

As LFC fans we hate The Sun due to their unfair, wrong and disgusting comments on what they said about our fans during Hillsborough.  It was trial by media and completely wrong what they did.

Now this is exactly what Panorama are doing - trial by media.  I don't think it is fair and I don't agree in ilegal hacking or their false accusations or the way they are going about it.

I see lots of hypocrasy though and what is ilegal was the hacking, not the saving of tax.
It depends how you look at it. freedom of the press to expose something that harms us all, you call it a trial by media.
They gave every person exposed the right to reply.
This is different from fabricating evidence or presenting a biased account on what's been happening to smear people, this isn't about trying to expose any particular person. it's about exposing tax evasion and avoidance, they don't really care who does this, the aim is to expose anyone whoever it may be.
I agree it's sickening, double standards. a woman struggling to get by fiddles a few thousand over a few years may get jailed. someone fiddling millions in tax may come to a agreement with the tax man to pay it back and serve no time but they are side issues for another thread.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 7, 2017, 12:26:14 pm »
I find it hard to buy into trial by media when there's nothing inherently illegal going on. It's not like people haven't had the chance to reply to the findings. The reactions from those questions tells you everything.

And lets not forget the many wrapped up in this who aren't responsible for jobs. Actors, the Monarchy, US and Russian Links. Possible breach of FA rules regarding Everton, Tory donors etc.

There's a lot more to it.

To give one example:

They kept saying Appleby were the company behind these Tax Structures.

But Appleby themselves said they don't give Tax Advice. 

Yet they kept saying it. 

Appleby therefore get a bad reputaion, when they are not in the wrong.  But Panorama don't care about that!

Panorama were sensationalist. They tried to make out that this is all secret.

Well my financial affairs are secret too, as are yours and everybody else, that's why you have confidentiality laws.  But they decided to just hack information and then make out that this is all secret.

It's not dodgy.  It is just confidential & private, as are my current affairs, as yours should be.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 7, 2017, 12:27:44 pm »
Panorama told lies.

What was a lie about the Paradise papers and how do you knows it’s a lie?

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: November 7, 2017, 12:31:40 pm »
It depends how you look at it. freedom of the press to expose something that harms us all, you call it a trial by media.

They gave every person exposed the right to reply.

This is different from fabricating evidence or presenting a biased account on what's been happening to smear people, this isn't about trying to expose any particular person. it's about exposing tax evasion and avoidance, they don't really care who does this, the aim is to expose anyone whoever it may be.

Well they harrassed people.  They asked for replies and then chose to ignore those replies, such as my example above and kept stating the opposite.  It was not a fair investigation, actually it was the complete opposite - as there was no fairness.

They don't care - no.

They don't care about reputations.  They don't care about being ilegal themselves.  They don't care about harassing people.

They think it is OK to do all that because they are doing it for the greater good.  I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that.

If things are wrong, you going about things the right way to ensure change is made and they have gone about this all wrong and they are damaging reputations.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 7, 2017, 12:31:45 pm »
The problem is that will punish the UK citizens who move abroad and aren’t multi billionaires (or even multi millionaires) as they will continue to find and use loopholes to avoid paying the full amount of tax. Whilst Miss Smith who moved to Australia to be a nurse will end up paying tax in the UK when she is half way around the world.

Yes, she will. That's her choice. Like I said at the outset, though, any tax paid in the country of domicile would be offset against the UK tax bill. Given the tax rates in Aus (once the Medicare levy is included) aren't that different to those in the UK, the nurse would really be much out of pocket. Most European countries have broadly comparable tax rates, as do NZ & Canada, and a good proportion of countries in Africa, Asia & S America also, so there'd not be any additional tax to be paid in those countries.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #79 on: November 7, 2017, 12:34:39 pm »
Yes, she will. That's her choice. Like I said at the outset, though, any tax paid in the country of domicile would be offset against the UK tax bill. Given the tax rates in Aus (once the Medicare levy is included) aren't that different to those in the UK, the nurse would really be much out of pocket. Most European countries have broadly comparable tax rates, as do NZ & Canada, and a good proportion of countries in Africa, Asia & S America also, so there'd not be any additional tax to be paid in those countries.

Correct, it is her choice but not sure forcing someone who is clearly not moving to avoid tax to pay more tax is the answer.

You could do it that if the country you’re moving to pays under X amount of tax then you contribute an additional amount. That’ll punish those deliberately heading to tax havens. Although of course the loopholes would need to be tightened.