Author Topic: The Daily Mail  (Read 81387 times)

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Daily Mail
« Reply #200 on: November 12, 2016, 10:19:59 am »
@LEGO_Group: @StopFundingHate We have finished the agreement with The Daily Mail and are not planning any future promotional activity with the newspaper

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: November 12, 2016, 12:01:18 pm »
@LEGO_Group: @StopFundingHate We have finished the agreement with The Daily Mail and are not planning any future promotional activity with the newspaper

Wow, that's a good result.

I still feel bad for judging people who read the Daily Mail. But I can't help it. They might not share the paper's values at all, but I can't help it when I'm on the train and I see someone reading it, I just think 'Tory/UKIP c*nt'. Not very tolerant of me really.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #202 on: November 12, 2016, 12:12:02 pm »
Wow, that's a good result.

I still feel bad for judging people who read the Daily Mail. But I can't help it. They might not share the paper's values at all, but I can't help it when I'm on the train and I see someone reading it, I just think 'Tory/UKIP c*nt'. Not very tolerant of me really.

Well if you can't feel judgemental about Daily Mail readers, who can you feel judgemental about?

Great news about Lego. Gonna buy some for my nephew's Christmas present. And try to avoid buying some for myself.....

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: November 12, 2016, 05:30:09 pm »
Yeah great news about Lego, just hope John Lewis follow suit now!

Lineker is also working on Walkers I believe.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #204 on: November 12, 2016, 05:45:00 pm »
I wonder if Gary lineker will get Walkers to stop Ads in the S#n on Twitter its says hes trying to.

https://www.indy100.com/article/gary-lineker-walkers-crisps-advertising-the-sun-7413261
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 05:47:11 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #205 on: November 12, 2016, 05:48:25 pm »
Gary Lineker ‏@GaryLineker

Gary Lineker Retweeted LEGO

Brick by brick.....

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2016, 06:02:08 pm »
Gary Lineker ‏@GaryLineker

Gary Lineker Retweeted LEGO

Brick by brick.....

Well in Gary.  He'd probably make a better ambassador than who we currently have.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2016, 09:51:03 pm »
I've seen some people frothing at the mouth about this in the Guardian comments section (yeah, I know I shouldn't). Ranting about how it's censorship and how the Nazi SJWs just want to shut down free speech.
Saw some woman say she had bought some Lego sets yesterday for her kids and was returning them tomorrow, then saying everyone should boycott Lego.
The irony of them posting this rubbish in a rival paper's comments section clearly lost on them.
Christ on a bike.

Good move from Lego.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: November 12, 2016, 10:00:14 pm »
I've seen some people frothing at the mouth about this in the Guardian comments section (yeah, I know I shouldn't). Ranting about how it's censorship and how the Nazi SJWs just want to shut down free speech.
Saw some woman say she had bought some Lego sets yesterday for her kids and was returning them tomorrow, then saying everyone should boycott Lego.
The irony of them posting this rubbish in a rival paper's comments section clearly lost on them.
Christ on a bike.

Good move from Lego.
Here's the Lego she's taking back

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #209 on: November 13, 2016, 02:17:24 am »
Well in Gary.  He'd probably make a better ambassador than who we currently have.

Never been a fan of his but I've taken to him massively in recent weeks. Hopefully him talking to Walkers about their associations with that fucking rag make a difference as well.

As an aside, it's a bit mad how many people seem to stop and take notice of a former professional footballer turned television presenter when he talks about politics. A few tweets from Lineker seemingly have people talking more than all the Jonathan Freedland/Nick Cohen/Owen Jones articles in the world. Bizarre.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: November 13, 2016, 02:23:27 am »

Nice words, but if he's true to the cause, leaving a brand he's been associated with for 20 years would send a real message.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: November 13, 2016, 09:38:52 am »
The thing is though when the mail readers read this rag over time they DO get these shitty right wing views and see it as the normal.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 13, 2016, 12:48:17 pm »
Never been a fan of his but I've taken to him massively in recent weeks. Hopefully him talking to Walkers about their associations with that fucking rag make a difference as well.

As an aside, it's a bit mad how many people seem to stop and take notice of a former professional footballer turned television presenter when he talks about politics. A few tweets from Lineker seemingly have people talking more than all the Jonathan Freedland/Nick Cohen/Owen Jones articles in the world. Bizarre.

A reality TV star just took the Whitehouse.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2016, 12:50:49 pm »

It's easy to dismiss them as "typical smug liberal journalists" and ignore what they say. Lineker was near "national treasure" level for a lot of people, being the front man for MOTD for years, so I guess it comes as more of a shock coming from somebody like him
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #214 on: November 13, 2016, 01:42:21 pm »
It's easy to dismiss them as "typical smug liberal journalists" and ignore what they say. Lineker was near "national treasure" level for a lot of people, being the front man for MOTD for years, so I guess it comes as more of a shock coming from somebody like him

And the vast majority of 'stars/celebs' always play it safe or rarely make comment.

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2016, 02:32:55 pm »

Didn't stop them turning on him in an instant though.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 13, 2016, 04:20:26 pm »
also seeing as people like slagging off footballers for their behaviour he was an absolute saint, even his ex wife still sings his praises!!

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 13, 2016, 10:35:06 pm »
also seeing as people like slagging off footballers for their behaviour he was an absolute saint, even his ex wife still sings his praises!!
He shits where he wants, he shits where he wants...   

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2016, 01:12:49 am »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2016, 01:27:17 am »
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2016, 01:41:31 am »
Lol, yes.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #221 on: November 14, 2016, 01:44:48 am »

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #222 on: November 14, 2016, 02:00:34 am »
What a surprise to see that dickhead Jim Shelley now works for The Mail. Last i heard of him he was working for The Guardian and used to do a tv column before Charlie Brooker took over. He was a grade A bellend back then and a Man U fan who regularly made crass 1980s style jokes about Scousers just to show how utterly cutting edge and cool he was, this being the late 90's of course.

Good to hear he's found his spiritual home at that shitstain of a newspaper.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #223 on: November 14, 2016, 02:11:22 am »
Jim Shelly gives you cancer.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #224 on: November 14, 2016, 01:34:16 pm »
Nice words, but if he's true to the cause, leaving a brand he's been associated with for 20 years would send a real message.

I think that persuading them to stop advertising with the rags would be a more powerful message.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #225 on: November 14, 2016, 05:23:39 pm »
A truly disgusting paper, kinda hoped the anti foreigner rhetoric would calm down now they've pushed Brexit through but I guess not

I wonder how many of these are parked up.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #226 on: November 14, 2016, 05:57:16 pm »

Probably none. It's not hard to find drivers on mobiles. But it is just as easy to find British drivers doing the same thing.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #227 on: November 14, 2016, 06:00:47 pm »

It's on the BBC and popular so of course the DM has to employ some moron to find faux fault.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: November 14, 2016, 06:09:20 pm »
Hilarious. I even dared to look at the comments for this 'article' and most of them take the piss out of the writer and Mail for this, which illustrates that even the Nazi's who read that shite think its stupid.

Online KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #229 on: November 14, 2016, 06:25:58 pm »

One wonders if the big segment on climate change has anything to do with this nonsense, and if redubbed with an american narrator, for american audiences if such commentary is included or edited out.

Offline Beard

• Main Stander
« Reply #230 on: November 14, 2016, 07:33:01 pm »
Considering this is one of the best selling papers in the UK I see very few people reading it where I live.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #231 on: November 14, 2016, 08:20:23 pm »

Its just that they seem very close to trees or something out of their windows.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 15, 2016, 12:38:51 am »
Its just that they seem very close to trees or something out of their windows.

Lots of motorways have shrubbery growing close on the verges  ???

Reading that front page, they claim the photos were taken on the M20 and google images shows the M20 looks like this:

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: November 15, 2016, 07:32:17 am »
What annoys me more is that the whole front page is design to push racism. It looks like it s about using a phone whilst driving, but if they were really interested in that, there would have been no need to say the drivers are foreign (how do they know that?). Throwing that little word into it turns the whole purpose on its head, now they can use a well-known offence (texting while driving) to criminalize foreigners. There's a nice link to a fatal accident as well. The 'take-home message' is: foreigners are dangerous criminals.

...you can continue picking it apart "The law must be toughened" (....how I hate 'newspapers' demanding things...) - which law? About using phones? Or foreign drivers?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:36:45 am by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 18, 2016, 04:55:59 pm »
A symbolic vote made by just 200 students.  Censorship of Freedom of Speech?  Or cracking down hate preaching? 

City University students vote for campus ban on Sun, Mail and Express

Student union at university known for its journalism school votes to ban the newspapers in ‘opposing fascism’ motion

Students at City University of London, home to one of the country’s most respected journalism schools, have voted to ban the Sun, Daily Mail and Express from its campus.

The university’s student union voted to ban the newspapers at its annual general meeting on Thursday night in a motion titled “opposing fascism and social divisiveness in the UK media”.

The motion said the titles have published stories that demonise refugees and minorities, have posted Islamophobic stories and “all actively scapegoat the working classes they so proudly claim to represent”.

It added that “freedom of speech should not be used as an excuse to attack the weakest and poorest members of society” and that the titles publish stories that are “inherently sexist”.

The motion, while largely symbolic, is embarrassing for the university, which runs one of the UK’s top journalism programmes.

Less than 200 of the university’s 19,500 student population attended the meeting where the motion was passed to ban the newspapers “in their current form”. The motion added that the ban could be extended to other media organisations with the Sun, Daily Mail and Express titles “merely used as high-profile examples”.

The students’ union said there was “no place” for the papers on campus or university properties although it was unclear how the ban would be enforced.

A number of journalism students are looking to pull out of the union in protest against the decision, which they believe harms the university’s reputation. Many graduates go on to work at the Sun, Mail and Express titles in some capacity.

“Are they going to try and stop students carrying newspapers and will lecturers no longer be able to use or refer to them?” said one student, speaking to the Guardian.

The union has resolved to promote among the student body the “active pressuring” of the newspapers to “cease to fuel fascism, racial tension and hatred in society”.

Professor Suzanne Franks, head of the department of journalism at City University, said that students would continue to be allowed access to the three newspapers.

“Students on our journalism courses value being able to access the views of publications and broadcasters across the industry and the department will continue to enable all these opportunities,” she said. “We combine professional skills training with a concern for professional standards and the importance of fair, impartial and ethical reporting is at the heart of our courses.”

Yusuf Ahmad, president of the City University Student Union, said that the 182 attendees at the meeting had debated and passed 15 motions.

“A number of motions passed are committing resources of the union and will need the further consideration of the board of trustees,” he said, before commenting directly on the motion to ban the three newspapers. “The union is currently unaware of any outlets on campus selling the mentioned media publications. As with all motions, the union will be considering how it implements this.”

Index on Censorship chief executive, Jodie Ginsberg, said the union should not be trying to dictate what students could read. “People should be free to choose what they read. Rather than banning things, we should be encouraging people to voice their objections to views and opinions they don’t like.”

George Brock, former head of City’s journalism department and current lecturer, said the move was in his personal view “foolish, illiberal and meaningless”.

“The students in the class I was teaching today were furious and understandably so at gesture politics from a fraction of the student body,” he said. “They understand that the answer to journalism that you may not like is to do the journalism better.”

During the meeting, another motion titled “why is my curriculum white?” was passed attacking the university as the “primary motor in reproducing this ideology of whiteness”. The union has resolved to take an active role in “decolonising” the curriculum and “start asking where are our black lecturers”.

The student union’s move follows the high profile campaigning group Stop Funding Hate pressuring businesses to drop their commercial relationships with the same three newspapers because they run “divisive hate campaigns”.

Last week, Lego announced it would not run any more promotional giveaways with the Daily Mail.

The Danish toymaker, which had been giving away free toys with the newspaper, took the decision after the campaigning group took up the cause of British parent Bob Jones, who had written to it raising concerns over its tie-in with the newspaper, which ran articles attacking the three high court judges who made a legal ruling on Brexit earlier this month.

Stop Funding Hate has also targeted companies including Waitrose, John Lewis and Marks & Spencer, who have refused to withdraw their ads, and The Co-operative Group, which has said it was reviewing its policy.

The Match of the Day presenter, Gary Lineker, has given his backing to the Stop Funding Hate campaign and recently asked Walkers Crisps to reconsider advertising in the Sun over its anti-refugee stance.

Lineker had tweeted his anger at newspaper coverage of the handful of child refugees who were brought into Britain from Calais last month.

The Sun responded by labelling Lineker a “jug-eared leftie luvvie” and calling for the BBC to sack him. He tweeted: “brick by brick …” with a link to the campaign.

The Sun has previously been boycotted by numerous student unions over its now dropped topless page three images. However, debates over free speech on campus have extended well beyond newspapers.

In January, online publication Spiked released its latest free speech rankings for universities, finding that 90% of institutions were carrying out some form of censorship, up from 80% a year earlier.

Concerns have been raised over attempts to “no platform” speakers with views deemed unacceptable to segments of the student body, as well as attempts to create safe spaces within universities where criticism is discouraged.

However, students groups have argued that those studying have a right to do so in an environment where they are protected from persecution and abuse. A survey in April found that almost two-thirds of UK students back the National Union of Students’ no platforming policy, which covers speakers from six groups including the BNP and Al-Muhajiroun, but allows individual unions to choose which speakers to bar.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: November 18, 2016, 04:58:38 pm »
A symbolic vote made by just 200 students.  Censorship of Freedom of Speech?  Or cracking down hate preaching? 

Sounds ridiculous (apart from banning the Sun).

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 18, 2016, 05:06:30 pm »
My university bans The Sun but that's because of page 3, they had a Twitter poll over the summer to decide whether to repeal it and they decided they would. I complained about the validity of such a vote and the decision was reversed.

Not that relevant but personally I think these bans are a good social experiment. The Daily Mail and The Express don't move from their cabinets all day either.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:08:36 pm by thelinnen »
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: November 18, 2016, 06:12:01 pm »
universities simply aren't places of free speech anymore. Our one recently banned another pro life speaker, I absolutely disagree with pro-life but I'd rather see it shut down with debate and facts, not censorship and "safe spaces"
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: November 18, 2016, 07:13:13 pm »
universities simply aren't places of free speech anymore. Our one recently banned another pro life speaker, I absolutely disagree with pro-life but I'd rather see it shut down with debate and facts, not censorship and "safe spaces"
Eh, I see it more as some intelligent young people seeing the dangers of borderline fascism.

This isn't the end of this conversation, if Brexit and Trump goes tits up and people still look for a scapegoat rather than constructive answers this won't seem so silly.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: November 18, 2016, 07:21:13 pm »
Eh, I see it more as some intelligent young people seeing the dangers of borderline fascism.

This isn't the end of this conversation, if Brexit and Trump goes tits up and people still look for a scapegoat rather than constructive answers this won't seem so silly.

Exactly. We need to wise up and fast. Racists and fascists are coming out and being protected by the fear of calling them so, a new range of "soft labels" have appeared that hide the reality of these people.

“It becomes one of those ‘if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck’ kind of things,”

"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "