Author Topic: New Kop  (Read 33458 times)

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: New Kop
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2015, 12:06:33 pm »
I was told (by someone at LFC) the current plans (including future expansion plans) is done by the same people that done the Emirates (and I believe Old Trafford?) - they said both projects were far too large, and we're hitting a "sweet spot".

We're essentially playing catch-up with the current plans, so I'd be happy with slowly phasing-in plans and seeing where it will go in 10 years or so.
YNWA.

Offline MarkR

• Main Stander
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2015, 12:45:29 pm »
If safe standing ever were to be approved, and assuming all safety regs (stairways, concourse size toilets etc) are met, could it not be phased in, assuming all that is required is modified seats and the barriers, on a  block by block or set number of rows basis? - if only to give confidence to the idea. Just a thought...

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2015, 12:53:28 pm »
If safe standing ever were to be approved, and assuming all safety regs (stairways, concourse size toilets etc) are met, could it not be phased in, assuming all that is required is modified seats and the barriers, on a  block by block or set number of rows basis? - if only to give confidence to the idea. Just a thought...

Beyond 60k creates infrastructure problems though.

I reckon FSG would be quite happy to increase capacity as long as it's financially viable, but we can't expect them to pay for new Railways/Road links etc.

The problem with Anfield is that we're stuck at the end of a motorway with only boat access from the other side.

I'd say that the Kop, and Lower Centenary are ripe for safe standing.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline MikeD

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2015, 01:04:44 pm »
Safe Standing on the lower cent?

Even at 1:1 they'd have to deal with the tiny concourse and facilities first as the only thing stopping major over crowding is the fact that it's a ballache to get in & out of your spec.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 01:09:58 pm »
Safe Standing on the lower cent?

Even at 1:1 they'd have to deal with the tiny concourse and facilities first as the only thing stopping major over crowding is the fact that it's a ballache to get in & out of your spec.

Oh I know there'd have to be changes, but it's a 'seperate' area as such.
Just like the old paddock.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 01:21:07 pm »
If safe standing comes into play the Kop is the most obvious stand to convert. In simple terms that would add around 12,000 to the capacity. By that stage we should already be at 58,500 with the main stand and ARE expansions complete, therefore giving a capacity of 70,000+.

Unless someone comes up with a way to get from the far east to liverpool in an hour for the cost of a pint, 70,000 would be more than enough. I can't see why we would ever need to consider converting the lower centenary into safe standing.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 01:45:20 pm »
I was told (by someone at LFC) the current plans (including future expansion plans) is done by the same people that done the Emirates (and I believe Old Trafford?) - they said both projects were far too large, and we're hitting a "sweet spot".

We're essentially playing catch-up with the current plans, so I'd be happy with slowly phasing-in plans and seeing where it will go in 10 years or so.

Three different architects. Anfield expansion is by KSS architects. The 'Parrybowl' was by AFL who did Old Trafford and Populous did the Emirates.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2015, 01:53:28 pm »
Oh I know there'd have to be changes, but it's a 'seperate' area as such.
Just like the old paddock.

The LC is well-positioned for fewer, more corporate seating. Standing on the Kop or ARE. Phasing is possible if started from the back (note roof/sightline issue in the kop)

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2015, 02:33:12 pm »
The LC is well-positioned for fewer, more corporate seating. Standing on the Kop or ARE. Phasing is possible if started from the back (note roof/sightline issue in the kop)

Really ?

If you were adding more corporate seats to the Centenary I'd have thought you'd have gone up from the existing, rather than down ?

Would it not be better to 'pinch' a dozen rows from above, than lose pretty much the LC ?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2015, 03:07:28 pm »
Really ?

If you were adding more corporate seats to the Centenary I'd have thought you'd have gone up from the existing, rather than down ?

Would it not be better to 'pinch' a dozen rows from above, than lose pretty much the LC ?

Look at any ticketing plan - the best views and most expensive seats are on the half way line, neither too low nor too high, gradually getting less expensive towards the corners. That includes a good proportion of the LC.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2015, 03:09:06 pm »

Shhh, don't give them ideas. My seats are just a few rows back from the corp seats up there and I don't wanna be moving!!

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2015, 03:26:52 pm »

Ditto the idea that FSG are here to take what they can and that is all. Sure, they are investing in sport but to be successful in investing in sport, the club has to be run well and the team has to be successful too. It's a win-win for them and for the supporters.

A tranche of shares held by supporters doesn't change the financial logic and paying towards any kind of rail link is just madness - if it's costing £6k a seat now, how much with s chunk of the 100s of millions for a rail line thrown in?

And yes, we looked for a sugar-daddy and there wasn't one. This is so much ancient history.

Getting the kids in. Securing the next generation is the way to a sustainable club for years to come. But a straight halving of ticket prices doesn't make any sense. 'Doubling' the capacity of the kop at half the price makes sense only taking a longer view but there is too much misunderstanding amongst at least some supporters to even consider safe standing at this point. Not to mention the weakening of demand for an as yet unproven expansion to just under 60k.

I understand all you are saying but let me put this a slightly different way.

While there is no financial reason for FSG to be looking at expansion at this point, is there any value in having a 10-20 year plan which involves the necessary transport facilities, Walton Breck road, even upgrading of the Kop and Kemlyn? The post 60K scenario.

Even without building anything more, Safe Standing coming in would surely force that conversation. If the options aren't there, we'll be falling behind again.

The simple answer for FSG is no. No financial benefit, because they're going to exit as some point, and probably sooner that 10 years (although we don't know for sure).

But how about for 'Liverpool Football Club', long term? I think it's more complicated.

As we've seen, getting anything done around Anfield is difficult and takes time. Is doing the main stand and the ARE and then waiting to see what happens enough? There'a a lot of land behind the Kop at the minute for example, that could facilitate expansion in the future. If it gets houses etc built on it now, it's going to even more difficult than it is now.

My gut feeling is there are preparations that could be made. Whether these can be done without some financial outlay, rather than huge costly investment, I just don't know. But I'd like FSG to be considering giving the club and whoever the next custodians are some options.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:50:33 pm by The Lord Admiral »

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2015, 03:54:32 pm »
Look at any ticketing plan - the best views and most expensive seats are on the half way line, neither too low nor too high, gradually getting less expensive towards the corners. That includes a good proportion of the LC.

Oh yeah, I get the 'central' bit. But from my experience, (getting tickets without being a STH) the best view I've ever had was from the UC. And the higher I got the better.

Personally speaking, and I know not everyone is the same, but I'd rather be watching from the UC, than the LC?

I'm well aware it's probably a moot point, but if I was designing the Centenary to maximise the 'financials' then I'd pinch Craig's seat, and those around him to create prime viewing corporate's, and turn the LC into the paddock/boys pen of yesteryear.
 :)

Shhh, don't give them ideas. My seats are just a few rows back from the corp seats up there and I don't wanna be moving!!

Sorry mate. I would let you have first dibs on one of the new fangled fancy seats though.
 ;D

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2015, 03:59:05 pm »
Oh yeah, I get the 'central' bit. But from my experience, (getting tickets without being a STH) the best view I've ever had was from the UC. And the higher I got the better.

Personally speaking, and I know not everyone is the same, but I'd rather be watching from the UC, than the LC?

I'm well aware it's probably a moot point, but if I was designing the Centenary to maximise the 'financials' then I'd pinch Craig's seat, and those around him to create prime viewing corporate's, and turn the LC into the paddock/boys pen of yesteryear.

You're not wrong, they could easily add another 5 or 6 rows to the corp seats all in the Upper and they'd have amazing views. In fact they already sell a 'premium' section up there for Euro games to the away side which sit behind our corps to about row 20.

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2015, 04:02:56 pm »

that word should be banned,   

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2015, 04:14:54 pm »
You're not wrong, they could easily add another 5 or 6 rows to the corp seats all in the Upper and they'd have amazing views. In fact they already sell a 'premium' section up there for Euro games to the away side which sit behind our corps to about row 20.

In 2005 when I last was a regular I 'worked' my way up to the UC via the Annie road/Kop/MS. The view is so much better. The CL games against Juve/Chelsea I was right over the halfway line, about 3/4 rows down from the back, and the view was magnificent.
If you attend because you want a good view, as opposed to wanting to be on the Kop then the UC is where it's at.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2015, 04:16:31 pm »
There'a a lot of land behind the Kop at the minute for example, that could facilitate expansion in the future. If it gets houses etc built on it now, it's going to even more difficult than it is now.

If you mean the land behind the Kop on the other side of Walton Breck Road then it's too far away to be of any use for additional seats.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2015, 04:31:15 pm »
that word should be banned,   

Why? It's only a problem if you want to have your knickers permanently in a twist over FSG. It all depends on the spin you choose to put on it.

Interpretation 1: "Sweet spot" the point at which you maximise corporate income and fuck over as many ordinary fans as possible for the least amount of money...

or

Interpretation 2: "Sweet spot" the point at which demand matches supply for the majority of games (say 95% +) giving maximum benefit to the club and the supporters as a whole.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2015, 04:34:10 pm »
If you mean the land behind the Kop on the other side of Walton Breck Road then it's too far away to be of any use for additional seats.

I meant for development as a whole rather than specifically seats. Fan areas, commercial, a rerouted WBR etc.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2015, 04:39:35 pm »
I meant for development as a whole rather than specifically seats. Fan areas, commercial, a rerouted WBR etc.

Pretty certain LCC are wanting housing on the land rather than it being left as a huge fan area (which isn't needed given the current amount of 'fan zones'). There is also already a surplus for commercial buildings.

Offline Rome-77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2015, 04:48:07 pm »
Why? It's only a problem if you want to have your knickers permanently in a twist over FSG. It all depends on the spin you choose to put on it.

Interpretation 1: "Sweet spot" the point at which you maximise corporate income and fuck over as many ordinary fans as possible for the least amount of money...

or

Interpretation 2: "Sweet spot" the point at which demand matches supply for the majority of games (say 95% +) giving maximum benefit to the club and the supporters as a whole.

you see if you keep increasing the cost of a ticket you will eventually  reach a "sweet spot" in a small capacity stadium,
but its artificial.
the american model is to keep demand strong.

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2015, 04:53:26 pm »
you see if you keep increasing the cost of a ticket you will eventually  reach a "sweet spot" in a small capacity stadium,
but its artificial.

You're getting too emotional.

They're businessmen. You'd do the same.

Step away from being a supporter.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2015, 04:57:43 pm »
but its artificial.

Nothing to do with American models, it's a basic business supply and demand model which you're hinting at

It's also way too simple to to just say increasing ticket prices will reach a sweet spot, as it ignores a lot of aspects which will all have an effect on where that 'sweet spot' is which involves so much more than just ticket price, especially when looking at construction of additional seating.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2015, 05:11:47 pm »
The sweet spot is NOT the best balance of price and demand. It is the best balance of price, demand and COST.

You can't keep building as the costs go up, the demand is exceeded and the price goes down. At some point, there's the right balance.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:14:08 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Rome-77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2015, 05:13:31 pm »
Nothing to do with American models, it's a basic business supply and demand model which you're hinting at

It's also way too simple to to just say increasing ticket prices will reach a sweet spot, as it ignores a lot of aspects which will all have an effect on where that 'sweet spot' is which involves so much more than just ticket price, especially when looking at construction of additional seating.

are you totally unaware of the  supporters movement up and down the country, to have tickets at a reasonable cost.
you and a few others on here seem to think its all sound and wont have a wrong word said against modern owners.
we need to keep the pressure on. 

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2015, 05:15:54 pm »
are you totally unaware of the  supporters movement up and down the country, to have tickets at a reasonable cost.
you and a few others on here seem to think its all sound and wont have a wrong word said against modern owners.

This lack of understanding of the basic realities is why it's very hard to think how fan ownership would work.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2015, 05:22:38 pm »

Building stadiums at huge cost (or expansions at huge cost) so there is a huge capacity is not the way to get cheap ticket prices.

If that's the pressure you're looking to keep on then you're going down the wrong path, one which has zero hope of being successful.

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2015, 05:36:28 pm »

Would you be happy with tickets at £20 each, but a transfer budget of £15m every summer ?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2015, 05:38:51 pm »
Building stadiums at huge cost (or expansions at huge cost) so there is a huge capacity is not the way to get cheap ticket prices.

If that's the pressure you're looking to keep on then you're going down the wrong path, one which has zero hope of being successful.

Quite so. Currently the only available option for cheaper tickets is to provide cheaper space for those who otherwise couldn't or wouldn't get to the match whatever the current level of demand.

Right now that looks like standing for an age-restricted group of younger supporters.

The only place that might happen is in small numbers in lower sections in the four corners of the ground.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:49:03 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2015, 05:45:07 pm »
Quite so. Currently the only available option for cheaper tickets is to provide cheaper space for those who otherwise couldn't or wouldn't get to the match whatever the current level of demand.

Right now that looks like standing for an age-restricted group of younger supporters.

And to overcome the 'infrastructure' issues ?

Maybe free/heavily subsidised tickets for those that attend with a STH ? Or someone that is attending the game anyway ?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2015, 05:47:34 pm »
And to overcome the 'infrastructure' issues ?

Maybe free/heavily subsidised tickets for those that attend with a STH ? Or someone that is attending the game anyway ?

Subsidised by who??? You?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:49:31 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Rome-77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2015, 05:58:21 pm »
Would you be happy with tickets at £20 each, but a transfer budget of £15m every summer ?

ha ha what a statment.
look yes at least one end of the ground £20 that's a start, lets get the kids back involved.
as for the tourist and corporate squeeze them until the pips squeak,

do you agree     
e

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2015, 06:00:07 pm »
Subsidised by who??? You?

No ?
Why would you ask that ?

But for arguments sake. FSG provide 10'000 seats, at a cost of 20million. They provide another Interest free loan over 5 years.
That equates to 20,000000 divided by 5 which equals 4,000000.
Divide that by 10,000 equals 400.

Do you not think it's sound business practice to supply the extra seats at cost, considering there'd be 10k more people inside the ground every other week ?

Like buying houses to rent them out, the money isn't made every week. The real profit comes by way of capital at sale time.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2015, 06:03:18 pm »

ha ha what a statment.
look yes at least one end of the ground £20 that's a start, lets get the kids back involved.

do you agree     

Where do you fit these kids in? Who gets cut?

The tourists and corporates who you want to squeeze every last penny out of? They're the best to cut, but then who subsidises these lower priced £20 tickets?

Or do we build a stadium which satisfies demand at £20 ticket prices? Where does the money come from?

How do you cover this huge cost whilst remaining competitive and therefore keeping demand for both the corporates and tourists you want to squeeze high, and also the demand to keep filling this huge stadium every single game?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2015, 06:04:48 pm »
No ?
Why would you ask that ?

But for arguments sake. FSG provide 10'000 seats, at a cost of 20million. They provide another Interest free loan over 5 years.

Do you not think it's sound business practice to supply the extra seats at cost, considering there'd be 10k more people inside the ground every other week ?

An additional 10k seats for £20m?

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2015, 06:11:43 pm »

ha ha what a statment.

do you agree     
e

Seriously mate, you're like a twin of Grahams.

We can get to 60k or there abouts. In 3 years we'll be sorted, yeah ?

Beyond that we'll need major, and I mean major changes to the infrastructure around the ground. We are at the end of 1 motorway, and bounded by water on the other side. There are 2 Premiership sides within a mile of each other, and another 2 less than 30 miles away. Our catchment area for legs through the turnstiles is very small.

And whay can't you understand that the council won't let us go beyond ~60k without serious money spent on the infrastructure ?

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2015, 06:12:59 pm »
An additional 10k seats for £20m?

Converting the Kop to safe standing.

Sorry, I'm getting seats/capacity mixed up.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2015, 06:17:30 pm »
No ?
Why would you ask that ?

Like buying houses to rent them out, the money isn't made every week. The real profit comes by way of capital at sale time.

At sale time? Better put that Reus transfer on hold.

Offline Rome-77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2015, 06:23:41 pm »
Seriously mate, you're like a twin of Grahams.

We can get to 60k or there abouts. In 3 years we'll be sorted, yeah ?

Beyond that we'll need major, and I mean major changes to the infrastructure around the ground. We are at the end of 1 motorway, and bounded by water on the other side. There are 2 Premiership sides within a mile of each other, and another 2 less than 30 miles away. Our catchment area for legs through the turnstiles is very small.

And whay can't you understand that the council won't let us go beyond ~60k without serious money spent on the infrastructure ?

we have had £3.1bn windfall from television rights, do you think this should have resulted in a drop in ticket prices for supporters. yes or no.