Author Topic: Corners- why are we so poor at them? (Dates from 2005)  (Read 75536 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Corners- why are we so poor at them?
« Reply #200 on: October 26, 2006, 12:46:41 pm »
Three deliverers from the three corners we've scored recently: Aurelio, Bellamy and Pennant. Coinkydink? Methinks not.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #201 on: October 26, 2006, 12:49:48 pm »
Last night Palletta did something that i haven't seen a Liverpool player do for years. He stood at the back post and ran into the middle and got away from his man. Everytime we take a corner now we've got Crouch, Hyypia/Carra/Agger but theres no movement from any of them, completly static.

Remeber the days of the mid/late ninghtys, we used to score loads of corners mainly Ruddock who would start on the edge of the box, charge in and meet the ball on the penalty spot. Man U had the exact same thing with Pallester. What has happened to that?

Like Crouch vs Man U in the Cup last season for instance?
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: October 26, 2006, 01:32:06 pm »
Like Crouch vs Man U in the Cup last season for instance?

Ah, but that wasn't directly from a corner. ;)

In all seriousness, PhilB's spot on. As you say, Crouch made a run - but only about 5 yards. Paletta started at the back post and ran to the front, which, as he said, we don't do enough of. Agger and Paletta are much better than Carragher and Hyypia in terms of attacking corners, which is great. I can see both of them scoring quite a few for us in the future.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2006, 11:45:06 am »
Our inability to beat the first man, or to penetrate the right areas with the dead ball, is becoming farcical. You'd think that- given our catastrophic impotence away from home- we'd be seeking to capitalise on set pieces at the moment.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2006, 11:48:11 am »
Our inability to beat the first man, or to penetrate the right areas with the dead ball, is becoming farcical. You'd think that- given our catastrophic impotence away from home- we'd be seeking to capitalise on set pieces at the moment.
exactly, we have been poor for some time at them, it annoys me because we should be able to find one of our starting elevn who can deliver  a good cross

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #205 on: November 19, 2006, 11:56:21 am »
If we don't practice set pieces in training, I`m afraid I have to say Rafa has lost it.

If there is one thing who is getting more and more important in todays football it is to be good on set pieces.
The game gets tighter and tighter when it comes to ability and its urgent to be able to score on set pieces.

Sort it out Rafa, but I cant believe we don't practice this in training!
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #206 on: November 19, 2006, 12:01:28 pm »
If we don't practice set pieces in training, I`m afraid I have to say Rafa has lost it.

If there is one thing who is getting more and more important in todays football it is to be good on set pieces.
The game gets tighter and tighter when it comes to ability and its urgent to be able to score on set pieces.

im sure we do, but at the end of the day it is the players decisions when on the pitch, practising in training can help but like penalties you can not simulate the right situation.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2006, 12:04:33 pm »

you can tell by the intricacy ion some of our set pieces that they're practised
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #208 on: November 19, 2006, 12:06:24 pm »

Yes I would think we did, it was more a question because of Wooltonian`s post above.
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline themightylfc

• Kemlynite
« Reply #209 on: November 19, 2006, 12:13:18 pm »

well we need to practice them a lot more cos they are not working we try to be to clever most of the time. instead of just trying to put a good ball straight in to the box cos we have big enough guys in there to fight for it. but even on the odd occasion we do put the ball straight in to the box its usualy a poor corner we never miss the front man. its very frustrating cos we have the players in Gerrard and Alonso to put great corners in but for some reason they dont.

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #210 on: November 19, 2006, 12:25:04 pm »
well we need to practice them a lot more cos they are not working we try to be to clever most of the time. instead of just trying to put a good ball straight in to the box cos we have big enough guys in there to fight for it. but even on the odd occasion we do put the ball straight in to the box its usualy a poor corner we never miss the front man. its very frustrating cos we have the players in Gerrard and Alonso to put great corners in but for some reason they dont.

I think Gerrards corners and set pieces in general are piss poor, and i'd prefer both Stevie and Xabi to be on the edge of the box waiting for knockdowns. Pennant and Gonzales are both great crosses and we get enough corners  per game for us to be able to get something from them and I agree if they spent more time just swinging them into the box and less time taking short come-to-nothing corners then we'd be a lot better off. I'd also like to see a player or two sneak closer to the opposition goal when we take a throw in, can't be offside from a throw in so with a throwing range like JARs we should be taking advantage.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline themightylfc

• Kemlynite
« Reply #211 on: November 19, 2006, 12:27:12 pm »
I think Gerrards corners and set pieces in general are piss poor, and i'd prefer both Stevie and Xabi to be on the edge of the box waiting for knockdowns. Pennant and Gonzales are both great crosses and we get enough corners  per game for us to be able to get something from them and I agree if they spent more time just swinging them into the box and less time taking short come-to-nothing corners then we'd be a lot better off. I'd also like to see a player or two sneak closer to the opposition goal when we take a throw in, can't be offside from a throw in so with a throwing range like JARs we should be taking advantage.

i agree totaly

Offline Buster 'Hook Hand' Bluth

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm a monster!
« Reply #212 on: November 19, 2006, 12:53:06 pm »
Posted in another thread, but lately we've had corner goals from:

-Agger against Birmingham
-Bellamy against Blackburn
-Crouch against Bordeaux
-Paletta against Reading
-Kuyt against Reading, following up Crouch's header

So it can't all be wrong. To score from five corners in five weeks in pretty amazing, actually. In between there have been some really poor corners, but at least we're not predictable. Even though the short ones tend to go wrong, they offer something different.

However, I don't understand why Gerrard still takes them. Get him in the box and let Pennant, from whose corners we've scored three of those five goals, take them, even if his delivery is hit and miss.
Who is this man, where is he from?
Defenders ask "Where has he gone?"
He fools them all, there is no doubt
This is the man this song's about,
And like the Kop, you'll hear me shout
"Give it to Heighway."

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #213 on: November 19, 2006, 03:15:44 pm »
Posted in another thread, but lately we've had corner goals from:

-Agger against Birmingham
-Bellamy against Blackburn
-Crouch against Bordeaux
-Paletta against Reading
-Kuyt against Reading, following up Crouch's header

So it can't all be wrong. To score from five corners in five weeks in pretty amazing, actually. In between there have been some really poor corners, but at least we're not predictable. Even though the short ones tend to go wrong, they offer something different.

However, I don't understand why Gerrard still takes them. Get him in the box and let Pennant, from whose corners we've scored three of those five goals, take them, even if his delivery is hit and miss.

None of which have anything resembling a decent defence. AS for Steven Gerrard taking them, I've always thought he'd be better used lurking for half-clearances on the edge of the box. He certainly shouldn't be taking them- we'd have more success with Stephen Hawking.

Offline Buster 'Hook Hand' Bluth

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm a monster!
« Reply #214 on: November 19, 2006, 03:20:01 pm »
None of which have anything resembling a decent defence. 

Fair point. But they're the teams we've been playing, and Birmingham aside, are all top-division/Champions League teams. I don't think we can be too picky about who we score against with any kind of goal at the moment!
Who is this man, where is he from?
Defenders ask "Where has he gone?"
He fools them all, there is no doubt
This is the man this song's about,
And like the Kop, you'll hear me shout
"Give it to Heighway."

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #215 on: November 19, 2006, 04:02:12 pm »
Its becoming ridiculous just how bad we are from corners, its not about the odd coupla goals we;ve scored lately its the fact that 9 out of 10 corners are completely and utterly wasted by us. The problem is not how many we score, but how many chances we create from these situations. Its only when you can get it into an area where we can take a meaningful shot on goal, can you regularly score goals.

To not get past the first man time and time again is shockingly bad, and so we instead try the short stuff which is not working either because the opposition read it too easily and we end up hitting a piss-poor cross which is easily dealt with or hitting it back to the half-way line.

Worst of all, we gift away possession in these areas allowing the defending team to have a breather and regroup (or we get hit on the counter) 

I cannot believe that Rafa is allowing the players to do this, it feels as if they are not really working on trying to improve their crossing.

This is one of the main reasons why we are so poor away from home, because corners and free-kicks are often the only way to unlock a stubborn and tight defence, or when you are lacking the killer pass
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline thespianchef

• Anny Roader
  • BOOM!
« Reply #216 on: November 19, 2006, 04:34:01 pm »
It is riculous that not one of our players seems able to cross the ball directly from the corner flag - taking it short is wasteful and offers little extra advantage considering the extra risk involved. I agree with previous posts that this was obvious on Saturday and we need to practice it. I have always been one for direct corners - whip it in and try and create something.
"I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I'd break my wife's legs if I played against her, but I'd never cheat her." Bill Shankly

Offline fathom10

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #217 on: November 19, 2006, 05:11:30 pm »
They always seem to try go for the front post but end up not even beating the first man.

I assume they practise a lot on corners in training and if they keep trying the front post corner it must work for them there which leads me to believe that our defenders must be terrible at defending front post corners.  Why else would they keep doing the same feckin' corner when it doesn't work? :no
"All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football" - Albert Camus

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #218 on: November 19, 2006, 05:13:20 pm »
we lumped most corners into the box yesterday, then brought crouch on, won a corner and took it short, with the ball ending up with our own goalkeeper!

that just makes no sense at all to me.
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #219 on: November 19, 2006, 07:26:34 pm »
This is how to take a corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKsGBpukBTU
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #220 on: November 19, 2006, 07:35:52 pm »
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #221 on: November 19, 2006, 07:39:20 pm »
wtf was the keeper doing?

Looks like he's expecting the defender to clear it. Right on the the money though.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #222 on: November 19, 2006, 07:41:07 pm »
Looks like he's expecting the defender to clear it. Right on the the money though.

in the blackburn game today, pedersen tried it a couple of times, and the commentator said that pedersen actually scored 6 goals in one match at youth level, all 6 coming direct from corners!!!

Offline simmo

• D cup - Carragher's just a stopper, Gerrard's not a great player, Torres is a mercenary opportunist, Mascherano's not very good, Rafa's a clown... oh and Liverpool aren't a great club... opinion or wind-up?... you decide...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2006, 07:43:40 pm »
we hav'nt had a decent deliverer of a corner since gary macca ! he used to glide them in not blast them as other players do' is is just me but does anyone else hate short corners with a passion ??

Offline magpie

• Kopite
  • 96 friends we all shall miss. JFT96.
« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2006, 08:42:11 pm »
we lumped most corners into the box yesterday, then brought crouch on, won a corner and took it short, with the ball ending up with our own goalkeeper!
Spat my dummy out big time when that late one went in short right in front of us - pure frustration! In games like that with the opposition packing all their men behind the ball you're looking for that little half chance to score and a properly delivered corner could give that opportunity.
Hate that ground with even more of a vengeance now!!
"Ignore the arl witch and sing/shout for justice."

Offline Sweet Silver Song

• Rotation, rotation, rotation....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Proud not to be a hypocrite...
« Reply #225 on: September 13, 2007, 10:25:41 pm »
Was watching the highlights of the Norway Greece game on Eurosport this evening. Yeah, I'm bored at the moment. And after watching England Russia yesterday, one thing struck me straight away. Corners. I was actually laughing out loud watching Gerrard waste corner after corner for England yesterday. Poor old England. They're getting the same service we've been getting all these past seasons. What gets me is why does Gerrard think he is actually any good at them? Surely after the 4th attempt to get past the first defender has failed, you must think, well actually it might be worth letting someone else have a go. And I might be more useful parked on the edge of the penalty area waiting for knock downs.  But no, he has to take them.

What struck me about the Norway game was Riise. He actually takes all their in swinging corners. I don't actually recall him ever taking one for us, but I could be wrong. Although I was watching only highlights, out of the 4 corners he took, two nearly resulted in goals, one hit the cross bar direct, and the 4th ended with Carew scoring.

Time to share the responsibility around Stevie.
*With such simplicity the European cup is won.
**Sour-ness, will he get a shot? Now Dalglish...across the face of the goaaaalllll!
***Alan Kennedy!...He goes on...he scores!
****Liverpool need a Grobbelaar save...or a Conti miss. They've got a Conti miss!
*****And Liverpool have won it! They're back...outsiders all the way...

Offline scutty

• Kopite
  • Know nothing.
« Reply #226 on: September 13, 2007, 10:43:16 pm »
Have you noticed any difference in the last couple of games?
Why was my post deleted?

Offline Conde

• scendingly banned for being an arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2007, 11:48:25 am »
Riise took a corner for norway and they scored from it.

Offline andrew1978

• Kopite
  • The Truth we all knew now known by all. RIP 96
« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2007, 11:58:20 am »
ive always thought alonso or finnan should take them. gerrard is a very good header of the ball and could easily notch up 5 a season from there
Where once we watched King Kenny Play.....And Could He Play

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2007, 12:21:15 pm »
Riise has taken a couple this season in one game.

Gerrard should definitely leave it to the others. What happened to Finnan taking corners anyway?
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: September 14, 2007, 12:26:09 pm »
the question is if Gerrard is using his authority in order to get to take the corners? I assume that on the field his word is kind off law (unless it contradicts Rafas) so maybe he is being a bit arrogant and thinks he takes good corners (which he does not really) thus not letting the likes of Pennant take as many.

Offline marvellous10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: September 14, 2007, 12:36:42 pm »
Would Pennant and Riise taking them, but less of the short ones, nice hard whipped ones underneath the crossbar is what we're lacking in recent times. but still need some vareity too
SoS #364

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 14, 2007, 12:38:31 pm »
Would Pennant and Riise taking them, but less of the short ones, nice hard whipped ones underneath the crossbar is what we're lacking in recent times. but still need some vareity too

But those are the ones that cause player/goalie collisions and there's only one outcome of that; freekick to the goalie. I like to see them smacked into the middle of the box.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #233 on: December 3, 2007, 09:30:32 am »
Serious improvement in this department.  Why?

Offline leccyred

• Kopite
  • Luis Garcia - a Red through and through
« Reply #234 on: December 3, 2007, 09:54:55 am »
It can only be more work on the training ground.

We saw improvement last season, when Gerrard was out and Xabi and Pennant started taking a few, but this season it's been a dramatic improvement all round, both from set pieces from free kicks and from corners- with good delivery, players getting into the right position and even a bit of gamesmanship-  such as Lucas' delivery for Gerrard to take the free kick last week.  Put Agger's goal against Chelsea in the semi-final last season into the mix and it looks as if they've really started to work on their set pieces.

It certainly beat our usual touching the ball three feet to the side and continuing from open play.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #235 on: December 3, 2007, 06:44:57 pm »

and Gerrard's free kicks have improved exponentionally

Offline Number23

• Kopite
« Reply #236 on: December 3, 2007, 07:18:30 pm »
It certainly beat our usual touching the ball three feet to the side and continuing from open play.

Or touching it 3cm for Riise to:
a) break an on-rushing opponent's leg
b) break 2 opponents gonads in the wall
c) hit the guy he doesn't like on Row Z of the Kop.

;D
Death by football [Rodgers] said. Well and truly achieved. Now please leave.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: December 3, 2007, 07:24:43 pm »
We must take into consideration Porto were as open as an Essex girls' legs on a Friday night.

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #238 on: December 3, 2007, 07:28:01 pm »

Credit to Steven Gerrard IMO who has improved both his corners and his free kicks this season.

Offline My Original Name Please

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly Mr Shankly
« Reply #239 on: December 3, 2007, 07:32:20 pm »
Im pretty outraged by the fact we have scored three goals in last couple of games from corners

Descrase!
Libpoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool