Author Topic: Real Madrid v Liverpool - UEFA Champions League R16 Second Leg, 15 March 2023  (Read 18135 times)

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
MATCH PREVIEW – Real Madrid C.F vs Liverpool FC
Aggregate score - 5-2

Date – 15/03/2023
Kick off - 8.00pm
TV - BT Sport

Officials

Referee
Felix Zwayer GER

Assistant referees
Stefan Lupp GER
Marco Achmüller GER

Fourth official
Sven Jablonski GER

Video Assistant Referee
Marco Fritz GER

Assistant Video Assistant Referee
Christian Dingert GER

Match Preview

Liverpool travel to Madrid trailing 5-2 from the first leg at Anfield, a dispiriting night having led 2-0 in front of a raucous crowd early on. If there is any football club that can climb a mountain like the one Jurgen Klopp and the players are facing on Wednesday night, then surely it's our beloved one. So in the event that you have any doubt as to whether it might be possible, here's a little trip down the European memory lane to remind you that with this football club, the impossible can very much become the possible.

Liverpool's greatest European comebacks

Liverpool 4-0 Barcelona (4-3 on aggregate) Champions League semi-finals 2018/19

Unfortunate to find themselves 3-0 down from the first leg, the Reds problems mounted with the loss of Roberto Firmino and Mo Salah ahead of the second leg. With a makeshift front three of Shaqiri-Origi-Mane, Liverpool embarked on the most remarkable of comebacks, Origi setting the tone with an early goal to light the touch paper, before a quick fire brace from Gini Wijnaldum drew the Reds level. Then came perhaps what is now the most famous corner routine of all time and rest as they say is history.

Liverpool 4-3 Borussia Dortmund (5-4 on aggregate) Europa League quarter-finals 2015/16

The night that the Klopp era truly exploded and a quite frankly ludicrous turnaround that only Liverpool Football Club are capable of. A very credible 1-1 draw in Dortmund very quickly unravelled as the Reds found themselves 2-0 down within ten minutes at Anfield. 0-2 became 1-2, then 1-3, leaving the Reds requiring three goals in the final thirty minutes to find a way through. The picture paints it better than I ever could.

Liverpool 3-1 Olympiakos - Champions League Group Stage 2004/05

Oh you beauty. Steven Gerrard with a famous trademark rescue act which lead to one of the most iconic commentary lines of all time. And it also lead to this...

Liverpool 3-3 AC Milan - Champions League Final 2005

The greatest comeback in football history. 3-0 down against one of the finest sides ever assembled, the Reds stormed back in six second half minutes before landing our first European Cup in 21 years on penalties.

I could go on with many, many more, but you get the gist. With Liverpool Football Club, it's not over until it's over in this wonderful competition. It will arguably require a triumph which would equal or better those listed above, but if any club can produce it against the odds, I'd be backing ours.

It's the hope that gets you as they say. I'll leave you with one last image to whet the appetite. Up the Reds!

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
Great OP.  We need to just win the game to break the hold these fuckers have over us.  As much as I’d love us to perform a miracle and win 4 nil, let’s be honest after Saturdays shitshow we aren’t going to Madrid and winning by four goals so let’s just put on a performance that wins us the game and stops these twats from beating us every time.  Come on the redmen. 

Offline Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Well if you were a neutral and you had to pick one team to overturn this result then it would be Liverpool.

Let's throw the fucking kitchen sink at these c*unts!

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad

^ from the reddit/liverpool

Or just win 4-0  :thumbup
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline lfcthekop

• knows how to inbed
  • Legacy Fan
For some reason, i have a sneaky feeling we will win 4-0.. call me mad i know, but we are liverpool and no matter how shit we are playing, you can never write us off in the european cup

Make us dream redmen!

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Looking on the bright side, now the away goal rule's been scrapped we only need 3 to take it to extra time...;D

I've had a funny feeling we might pull it off over the last week or two. It is a strange position for Madrid to be in, maybe they won't be quite sure how to approach it whereas we know we just have to come out all guns blazing and go for it. Stick an early goal in and you never know.

My realistic prediction is it'll be a bit of a Chelsea 09 kind of game. We are good enough to make a game of it and I can well imagine that at some point Madrid will find themselves slightly worried. But ultimately we don't tend to defend well enough as a team to deny golden chances and Madrid are the most ruthless team in Europe if you give them anything like a look in. Wouldn't be surprised to see us get a goal or two ahead but end up still well beaten over the two legs.

Let's see though. We are a wildly inconsistent, unpredictable outfit at the moment but we are still capable of the dizzying heights when we turn up. As we showed against United. When we're capable of those highs then form isn't all that important. If the Liverpool of a week ago turns up we are capable of pulling off probably the maddest comeback in the knockout stage of the competition. If the Liverpool we've seen for most of the season turns up we'll be doing very well to keep the deficit down to three.

It's worth dreaming though, isn't it? This manager and these players have achieved the improbable more than once.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
For some reason, i have a sneaky feeling we will win 4-0.. call me mad i know, but we are liverpool and no matter how shit we are playing, you can never write us off in the european cup

Make us dream redmen!

I've been saying for two weeks we're knocking these out. Dunno why, just feel we will
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We won;t win the tie but let's try and win the game at least.

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
1- 4 and we go through on penalties.

They should be fresh and well rested, not having played a competitive match since United.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
It's a free hit and we don't play at the weekend so just make sure we leave nothing on the pitch.

If we go out we go out but I don't want to see us well beaten, outplayed or going through the motions in any way. I just want us to give Real Madrid a difficult 90 minutes and see what happens.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
Keep it tight, 1 goal first half, then go for it second half.
mines a pint

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
We will win this, the only uncertainty is whether we win by enough.  Go in one up at half time and we have a chance.  Will be interesting how Real set up for this.
We are Loyal Supporters

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
The performance matters more than the result…

Getting through the tie is a hell of an ask even at our tip top peak…. 

Playing well and asking them questions is what we need to do… at least then give ourselves the chance
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
I’m not ready to stop believing.
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
Well, it's a free hit of sorts. Grab an early goal and put them under pressure.

If Madrid have a 4/10 game and we have a 9/10 game it's possible I suppose. Scoring 3 is definitely worth a bet, but I can't see us keeping a clean sheet.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Get the first goal and go from there.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Do the impossible.  :thumbup
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
2-6 to us.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
The performance matters more than the result…

Getting through the tie is a hell of an ask even at our tip top peak…. 

Playing well and asking them questions is what we need to do… at least then give ourselves the chance

It's a knockout competition- result is everything. Even moreso in this case.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Getting the first goal will be vital. From then it can go either way. Could be a repeat of the first leg, could be a performance like against Man United with us not necessarily scoring 7 goals, but enough to go through or to extra-time... Most importantly, until the ref blows the final whistle we're not out.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
They usually start slowly and being three up they might be a bit complacent - if we turn up (a big if at the moment) and score early it could be interesting, the problem is I just don't see us stopping them from scoring, however well we play.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
Any chance of getting big Div back on a one day loan?

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
If we were at home maybe but away at their place its going to be a stretch. Surely if we can at least show a bit of pride and win away from home it be a boost of confidence to a team who are scared of their shadows on their travels.

Real have lost big a couple of times in the last season or two against Barcelona. Chelsea scared them at their place last season as they thought it was all over after beating Chelsea 3-1 away. So there is a chance if our lads for once can play to their potential away from home. The odds must be crazy though as we are 70-1 to win the CL.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline MH41

• Kopite
I have thought about this, and I hope they have talked through all possible scenarios, and how to react to them. I mean, I'd love an early goal from us, but if Real get the first goal, or a goal anytime in the match, I hope their reaction is not "game over", but "ok, we'll get 4 etc" No away goal rule may help us here (unless we go out on pens, after winning 6-3)

On another point, with the removal of the away goals rule, what now is the purpose of ET in the 2nd leg? It's hardly fair on the away team to have to play an extra 30 minutes away from home? Why not go straight to penalties after 180 mins?

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
So there is a chance if our lads for once can play to their potential away from home. The odds must be crazy though as we are 70-1 to win the CL.

Just had a look. 5 Euros on us winning the tie and then winning the CL would get you almost 6K in return. If I didn't have to create an account first, I'd put a tenner on it... ;)

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
I’d take any sort of win. We aren’t going through here ladies and gents. I’d love one of those big comebacks and we might get that feeling if we start well but going through here would top Istanbul on many levels.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We got smashed by them at home and then smashed United 7-0 and then lost to Bournemouth. I don't think putting a good performance but going out does much for us really. May as well just completely go for it.

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
I have no expectations for this sadly. Hopefully we just go out on a high.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
After Saturday's performance it wouldn't surprise me if we won this game.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
0-0.

Online NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
Looks impossible to win against Madrid this time. Impossible.

Let's be honest.

But if we win I will post a HD picture of my cock here.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
thanks for the OP raid mate

On another point, with the removal of the away goals rule, what now is the purpose of ET in the 2nd leg? It's hardly fair on the away team to have to play an extra 30 minutes away from home? Why not go straight to penalties after 180 mins?

because the only fair way to draw who plays the legs in what order is to draw out of a hat - one team will have to play the second leg away there's nothing you can do about that

the old away goal rule was crap - what was the point having 'home' advantage if the away team had that rule in favour of them?

back to the game - as long as we don't concede then it's not impossible

1 goal against us we need 4, 2=5 etc etc

i would play to wind up as many of their 'diva' players as possible - go in hard (but fair) - be on the ref's back all game without being abusive - surround their better players as soon as they get the ball - they could just sit back and go through so press press press

thing is - the way things stand, we have nothing to lose in going out with a bang rather than a whimper
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
I think if we’d have won against Bournemouth then you could have seen some proper momentum building but that defeat has knocked us back down a few pegs. Guess all we can do is score the first goal and hope they get nervous and take it from there. The fact our away record is absolutely awful this season doesn’t help either.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I think we might win the game, don’t think we have a chance of going through though. 1-2 for Liverpool, a fair farewell to Champions League.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
I'd go with...

Becker
Trent
Konate
VVD
Robbo

Fab
Hendo
Bajetic

Nunez
Bobby
Mo

If we can get an early goal, we have them potentially rattled. Its how we then progress from there....
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
Hopefully they play in first gear with the tie over and we can sneak a draw or narrow win. Like how our Benfica and Inter ties went last season when we'd wrapped it up in the first leg.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I’d take any sort of win. We aren’t going through here ladies and gents. I’d love one of those big comebacks and we might get that feeling if we start well but going through here would top Istanbul on many levels.

Barca has already topped Istanbul for me, because we were shite except for the 6 miracle minutes in the Final.

Saying that we just need and Istanbul from the start of the second half until Jerzy saves the last pen. 6 minutes of shock and awe, got 3-0 up then defend like their lives depend on it then beat them on pens. Although I'd prefer 4 in 10 mins and no extra time or pens.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
I have thought about this, and I hope they have talked through all possible scenarios, and how to react to them. I mean, I'd love an early goal from us, but if Real get the first goal, or a goal anytime in the match, I hope their reaction is not "game over", but "ok, we'll get 4 etc" No away goal rule may help us here (unless we go out on pens, after winning 6-3)

You still need to be rewarded for finishing first in your group so you can have the extra 30 minutes at home if the tie is level after 180 minutes?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
I think if we’d have won against Bournemouth then you could have seen some proper momentum building but that defeat has knocked us back down a few pegs. Guess all we can do is score the first goal and hope they get nervous and take it from there. The fact our away record is absolutely awful this season doesn’t help either.

I'm of the opposite mindset, the best thing that could have happened for us to try and advance on Wednesday was a loss at Bournemouth. Lots of talk of complacency from players, manager and fans. Hopefully that was the kick up the arse they need to prevail tomorrow.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
Would be the greatest shock of them all to turn this around.