Author Topic: PL: Forest 1 vs 0 Liverpool Awoyini 55’  (Read 40300 times)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
PL: Forest 1 vs 0 Liverpool Awoyini 55’
« on: October 22, 2022, 11:27:05 am »
Liverpool played Nottingham Forest in the first round of the 1978-79 European Cup. At City Ground, defending champions Liverpool were unable to score and conceded two. The return fixture at Anfield did not produce any goals, and strong favorites for the cup beforehand, Liverpool, were knocked out.

The biggest club from my hometown of Malmö also played in the European Cup that year. Back in these days, with few exceptions, you played with the boys that came from your area. The goalkeeper Jan Möller, lived on my street. When I grew up I'd wave at him like I'd greet anyone else in sleepy suburbia. I didn't know it then, but my near neighbor Jan Möller played in a European Cup final. On the way there he and Malmö FF kept clean sheets against AS Monaco, Dynamo Kiev, and Austria Wien in the semi-final.

After the success against Liverpool, Nottingham Forest beat AEK Athens, Grasshopper from Zürich (who knocked out Real Madrid), and 1. FC Köln to reach the final. At the Olympiastadion in Munich Malmö started the final without two of their best players – midfielder Bo Larsson and defender Roy Andersson – already ruled out with injury and with their captain and key midfielder, Staffan Tapper, breaking his toe in training on the eve of the final. Jan Möller was unable to keep a clean sheet, and Trevor Francis scored what proved to be the only goal the of the game to confirm Nottingham Forest as the Champions of Europe in 1979.

Trevor Francis

Jan Möller

On 21 September 2021, Forest announced the appointment of Steve Cooper as the club's new head coach. Cooper inspired a turnaround in form, arriving with the club in last place of the Championship, yet having them in 7th at Christmas, and all the way up in 4th by the end of the season, qualifying Forest for the playoffs for the first time since the 2010–11 season. In the 2022 Championship play-off semi-final, Forest defeated Sheffield United on penalties to advance to the final against Huddersfield Town, who they beat 1–0 at Wembley Stadium, and were promoted to the Premier League for the first time in 23 years.

In the summer, Nottingham Forest decided to buy everyone. Twenty-two(!) players were brought in over the summer. Amongst them of course, Neco Williams. Taiwo Awoniyi is also in the squad, having been bought from Union Berlin. Forest beat West Ham in the second week of the Premier League but has since then not been able to win, drawing 3, and losing 7 including the first week. They sit firmly in the relegation zone waiting for all their new players to gel and kick-start their season.

Liverpool
A win here would move us beyond Manchester United - if even for the moment - but that in itself seems like a good prospect. With games coming thick and fast due to the absolutely ridiculous, shambolic, and corrupt "FIFA World Cup", what team do you reckon we'll see on Saturday? Luis Diaz and Diogo Jota is out for a while. Still no Matip and Konate is hopefully not too far away but won't be in for this one. Nat Phillips was on the bench and that's probably where he'll be for this one too. Arthur Melo is out as well, and no news on Naby lad yet. Bobby Clark was on the bench against West Ham but a start for him seems unlikely. Ox also made the team so he is technically in contention.

Tsimikas have been able to rotate with Robbo, who looks likely to start this one since Scouse Greek started mid-week. Ramsay played for the U-21, could he be available soon to give Trent some rest? He was afterall taken in to replace Neco Williams. Probably not for this one though. For midfield we've rotated Thiago, Hendo, and Fabinho recently. Fab came off the bench so he may be in for a start? Not sure if Klopp wants to play Thiago again so he might be rested in favor of Hendo if we continue with two in midfield.

Curtis Jones to get some minutes off the bench? Perhaps Ox as well? We will need lads being available. You can't really bench Salah, and Nunez is starting to warm up. Firmino is difficult to drop on this form. Nunez played some on the left wing for Benfica so he could be utilized there with Jota and Diaz being out, although he's probably the most effective in a central position. Harvey and Carvalho also in contention.

A. Becker
Trent - Gomez - Virgil - Robbo
         Hendo   -   Fabinho
Mo - Bobby - Nunez - Carvalho
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 01:45:47 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Forest vs Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 11:42:53 am »

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 12:30:46 pm »
0 we’re underway at a sunny City Ground
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 12:33:08 pm »
Super place the City Ground, fans are right on the pitch.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 12:34:22 pm »
4 a very scrappy start so far.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 12:36:14 pm »
6 the reds making a little progress now.  Forest very deep without the ball.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 12:40:08 pm »
9 long diagonal from Elliot… Carvalho takes it down beautifully in the area but can’t dink it over the keeper ..

What a goal that would have been!

Corner, and Bobby heads just past the post.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 12:42:40 pm »
12 Forest looking to hit on the break, but so far their quality has been poor.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2022, 12:49:13 pm »
18 my commentary is bananas

They’re saying Forest would be in the lead if they had more quality up front…

They’ve just punted it up field a few times.  They’ve had nothing.

We need to keep the ball better though, we look really strong on the ball.

Forest have a shot from 20 yards that Alisson comfortably saves.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 12:50:24 pm »
20 Jones down the left, cuts it back and Salah has a shot deflected behind.

Corner is so close to VVD’s head..
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 12:53:07 pm »
23 Elliot twists and turns in the area, digs out a cross and Carvalho heads just wide.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 12:53:12 pm »
Over to Jill
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2022, 12:55:20 pm »
24 I think it's fair to say this game is yet to really ignite. A lot of players in midfield all busy fighting for the ball and then both sides giving it away. A typical early morning kick off in other words.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2022, 12:55:33 pm »
Our passing has left a lot to be desired in the middle of the park, just needless giveaways at times. Carrying on from the last game, really need to cut that out.

Yeah, when we take care of the ball better we look way better than them.
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2022, 12:58:05 pm »
26 Bobby attempted to run through the NF defence but loses the ball. NF try and begin an attack Van Dijk miskicks a ball which goes out for a Forest throw-in.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2022, 12:59:47 pm »
28 Anything good from us is coming from Carvalho's position. He is not afraid to try things and get stuck in. I really like this lad.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2022, 01:00:51 pm »
29 Mo gets a shot at goal, but the goalie smothers the ball. It was a bit of chaotic move from us there, but somehow the ball made its way to Mo.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2022, 01:02:17 pm »
Oh no… Mo is injured.. he never goes done
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2022, 01:02:37 pm »
31 Mo is down injured and it doesn't look good. They are signalling to the bench. Okay troops, he is up.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2022, 01:04:31 pm »
Ref waited a good 45 seconds to let Mo back on there…
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2022, 01:04:45 pm »
33 We have a free kick, but it's not one of Milner's best and it harmlessly goes out of play for a NF kick.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2022, 01:06:17 pm »
35 Bobby could have been in there. He definitely got some space from Williams, but he couldn't guide the ball in.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2022, 01:08:10 pm »
37 Oh my what happened there with the Van Dijk header. The ball was beautifully floated in by Milner, but Van Dijk just couldn't direct it into the net, and it goes wide.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2022, 01:10:19 pm »
39 We are having one of those games when everything is being given again. Bobby didn't like that free kick going against him there. But I can't keep up as to what they are allowing now in matches.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2022, 01:12:36 pm »
What the utter hell was VVD thinking there?!!?

Trying to cushion it to Bobby…

But he had to score himself!
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2022, 01:12:59 pm »
42 We are dominating possession at the moment but can't get that final ball. Some nice little moves being created but just not the finishing product.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2022, 01:16:04 pm »
45+1

How do they work out the time in football? Mo is down for two minutes, and they only add on one minutes.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2022, 01:16:52 pm »
46 Half time 0-0. Still some work to do, but for the most part we have controlled Forest.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2022, 01:17:31 pm »
Is Kouyate gonna get a yellow before he decapitates Elliott?

An awful challenge I agree.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2022, 01:32:05 pm »
45 back underway
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2022, 01:33:46 pm »
46 good football by the reds, but Forest clear

Forest break but it’s a poor effort
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2022, 01:36:27 pm »
50 lovely ball by Gomez finds Milner on the touch line, a good cross and Forest do well to clear
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2022, 01:38:46 pm »
free kick 35+ yards out…

It’s floated to the back post and Mo kicks the air!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 01:40:20 pm by TepidT2O »
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2022, 01:40:58 pm »
54 Gomez inthe book, dwelt on the ball on halfway, Awoyini pinched it and he hauled him down.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2022, 01:41:39 pm »
55 1-0. FFS

Cross from the right, shit hits the post and Awoyini follows up.

A long way back here
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2022, 01:42:26 pm »
I just have to laugh, not convinced Salah would have got that decision. Just so typical.  ::)

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2022, 01:44:08 pm »
57 quick attack by the reds, Elliot has his shot pushed behind for a corner.

Headed clear.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2022, 01:45:04 pm »
58 Forest break again it’s 4 on 2….

Saved by a brilliant Milner block… Gomez’s head has gone here.

Alisson punches clear well
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Forest 1 vs 0 Liverpool Awoyini 55’
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2022, 01:46:55 pm »
60 corner to the reds.

Cleared
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Forest 1 vs 0 Liverpool Awoyini 55’
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2022, 01:48:12 pm »
Milner had Carvalho off

TAA and Henderson
W